Forum › Posts by OhMyGecko

OhMyGecko
joined Oct 13, 2015

I'm going to miss getting the updates for these chapters. It was long but never boring.
Though it's much better to have an ending than stringing this along forever.

OhMyGecko
Liberty discussion 23 Sep 20:37
joined Oct 13, 2015

Every character in this manga is detestable,
Except perhaps for that bi band member. Can't we just swing the manga to be about her? She's cute, likes girls, has a style which stands out more than Liz and hasn't done anything to piss me off yet.

OhMyGecko
joined Oct 13, 2015

I gotta say, I love how the subtleties of expression and realization are drawn. Like on page 12, bottom right panel, when she realizes that telling about her dream leads into telling about the kiss, so she's beet red for the rest of the story. Or my favorite, the entirety of page 17, where first she realizes with immediate shock what was meant by "the person I love", and the turn to the right with startled, hopeful disbelief immediately after. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

The expressions and movements were so beautifully done that you can follow their thoughts and reactions perfectly. There's many panels without text yet nothing is lost at all.
I'm quite startled at how well it was done that i went over them multiple times just appreciating the subtlety.

OhMyGecko
joined Oct 13, 2015

I thought it was just me but that chapter felt melancholic.

As for Touko joining the troupe, it felt like a bad idea. Even after she expressed the rationale behind it, i cannot shake the feeling.

OhMyGecko
Killing Me! discussion 30 May 06:08
joined Oct 13, 2015

I'm so torn. On one hand, I have deep DEEP hatred for kissy face vampires. On the other, I have my endess love for yuri lovin in all it's forms.

Interesting. I don't like vampires much at all as a concept. I don't mean to offend but everything they got going just kinda doesn't appeal to me. It's kinda of like a superhero where their power-set just bugs you more than anything. Again. Don't mean to rag on their huge fanbase. A really good character that happens to be a vampire often make my exception lists. Like Kain from Legacy of Kain. ^.^

You don't like vampires, you just like certain characters, that happens to be vampires. I can understand that. I think vampires are just over played myself. I just wonder why women have such a romantic fetish for the stupid blood suckers.

So it's not just me that wishes vampires returned to horror?
One of my favourite vampire scenes of all time is from the silent film Nosferatu. Where 'Dracula' uses the light from the moon to cast his shadowy hand which moves up a woman's body, finding her neck, and strangling her. Such a creative and beautiful scene.

sometimes it's even some type of nanotech

Um, Gantz?
Still chaven't figured out what all of that was about. But them, that's the manga all over.

OhMyGecko
Dark Widow discussion 22 May 07:28
joined Oct 13, 2015

Just caught up on the last few since i took a yuri break.
I knew i liked this but, shit, has it always been this ridiculous and funny?
It had me with the health bar and personal BGM.

OhMyGecko
joined Oct 13, 2015

The older one really abused her trust, that end of chp2 when the younger one tries to leave and she says come inside.. I'm not too comfortable with this.

Good. It would be more concerning if you were.

I like to give the benefit of the doubt to the author but this seems really well done.
What the older lady did was wrong? Absolutely. That's probably the point. What she did wasn't malicious in her eyes and she meant no harm but it is a crime and for good reason.

This manga seems to have looked at all the innocent, adorable age-gap and decided to show us what it could (or perhaps more likely would) be like.
Also, that nonsense of pushover adult and far too smart/manipulative student is completely thrown out. This is more like what the gap would cause. A pushy (to be nice) adult and a naive child who is left bewildered afterwards. Filled to overflowing with thoughts she's never had and emotions she's never felt.

This is good. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and the implications of what they have done. How the two handle it from here. Though i do think these two may never become a couple, ever. And that we are seeing a very impactful, and influential, time of our protagonist's life.

OhMyGecko
joined Oct 13, 2015

It's a bit to tell how "well" it worked since it will depend on how the arc will unfold, but I personally love the bittersweet tone of the chapter. How Mikaze went from a shallow crush to a deeper attachment and how Asuka realized she might have someone she can relate to, if even a little, before it all went downhill. The chapter does a good job at making both Mikaze's heartbreak and Asuka's disillusionment easy to understand (though the latter seems more at fault for the relationship petering out).

I'm a bit split on this. A chapter should stand on it's own in general but also relate to the arc. So did it work as an introductory chapter on it's own that makes you want to see more and did it fit well into the overall arc are two different questions only one if which we could answer now. But yes, i enjoyed the tone of this and would like to see where it goes.

I just wish the chapter didn't feel so rushed. We only saw flashes of how the relationship developed and left me thinking it was rather one-sided. But i don't know if it could have been done slower in a single chapter and give us such a summary of events.

joined Oct 13, 2015

I tend to dislike student x teacher manga. I haven't read a single one i thought was actually good. still, i'll give it a chance.

But when i find that i'm hoping for a het ending with the dude (after chp 9) because the girl is so repulsive a character, something has gone very wrong. Yeah, we don't know her backstory and maybe abuse but seeing how she is, why would anyone (readers) care to find out?

OhMyGecko
joined Oct 13, 2015

I like the interwoven story structure well enough, but I like the pieces best when they’re actually interwoven with the other arcs. Lyendith’s chart indicates why for me this was an especially underwhelming start to a new arc (if this chapter is the first of more, as I assume it is, rather than a one-shot)—two characters we’ve never seen before, unconnected as yet with anybody we have seen before (the time-setting cameos aside).

Agreed. This isn't my favourite chapter. Though i realised with the student council arc (with tatsumi and torayama) that even when i dislike the start of some volumes or some characters, i grew to like the two of them very much by the end.

And we barely had time to figure out who these new people were and what they were about before they broke up, apparently (although probably not actually) forever.

I did like how it was told. Whether it worked well is another matter. Showing us the end, then how that came to be is not unique to this manga but i don't remember if it was done before with another arc. And since we have seen so many different arcs, a change of style or story-telling is welcome.

OhMyGecko
joined Oct 13, 2015

Does anyone else ever confuse this with Bloom into You?

Every chapter update and i have no idea why it happens. They seem quite disimilar.

But yeah, this new one isn't really interesting for me, and like Lyendith said, a teacher x teacher or age gap relationship would be welcome.

I could get behind a teacher x teacher but would almost certainly dislike any teacher x student arcs.

Are any of us actually still reading this only for the 'main' couple? It's more a collection of interwoven short stories. The art, stories and translation are good. That's enough for me.

Was this a chapter about how relationships sometimes don't work out?

Part of me hopes so. I still think that many of these chapters are possible forshadowings of what could happen with the main two. Yeah, maybe the relationship doesn't work out.

last edited at May 10, 2018 8:07AM

OhMyGecko
joined Oct 13, 2015

Oh wow, this was nice. Normally I'd be bothered by such a big age gap, but it didn't bother me here. I wonder why. I'm totally following this series, though

I thought the same. But it's NOT teacher x student so maybe that's why. Atleast, that's probably why this still works for me.

joined Oct 13, 2015

I nearly gave this a skip because of the subtext tag but thought to give it a chance since the artwork looked great.

The girls are, to quote a certain maniac, totes adorbs.

OhMyGecko
joined Oct 13, 2015

i really thought this mangas was going to be a bitter sweet well written story about a girl getting over her platonic and urequited love then finding a new love but nope is just your usual my husband/boyfriend cheatonme/doesntloveme/hitsme so now im lesbian stuff

I made a point about this some months ago. A story should focus around a character's most interesting time of their life. This difficult and complicated mess she has herself in counts. So even if it were that she ends up single, it would still be a very interesting read.

i'm just a little dissapointed because the idea that the brother may be a good person (though imperfect) makes this a difficult manga to take sides. Yes, i want a yuri ending but if the married couple are happy and good to one another, it would be wrong to break them up. Which is the percieved dilemma.
So you think the character hasn't changed but rather the problems are more obvious and blatant? That actually seems more likely.

i do think the husband change and also the direction of the manga in general
i think the author planed to go the way you described first being a bitter sweet manga where there is no good or evil characters just people with complex and realistic issues like falling in love to the wrong person or not being the perfect husband but still loving your wife
but then realize that a manga like this would upset and divide the fanbase so instead choose to go the safe way making the husband a motherfucker
so now you dont need to choose a side since now there is only one side

The manga Basilisk was great when i was in highschool because how different people chose different sides as the heroes and villians. It divided myself from some friends as we were cheering for different people for different reasons. It was great.
And it seemed that this was going a somewhat similar direction. No, you want her love to be requited. But the wife cheating would sully the situation and her own worth. The brother caring for both of them and NOT being a complete dickhead. The sister who loves the two of them for different reasons and doesn't want to split them.

And suddenly (not so suddenly to some in the comments) he's cheating, or likely is, and everything just gets thrown out amd becomes a lot simpler. Don't take what made this special and throw it out.

OhMyGecko
joined Oct 13, 2015

i'm just a little dissapointed because the idea that the brother may be a good person (though imperfect) makes this a difficult manga to take sides.

Reiichi has been shown to be a crappy husband since his first non-flashback appearance in the story—we see him forgetting their anniversary and sort of shrugging it off. He hasn’t been shown to be malicious, as cheaters usually are in these stories, but betraying your wife only not being overtly mean about it is a pretty low bar for “good person.”

Hmmm. All of you irritating people who keep brining up things i forgot and making my point weaker. Stop that. I may have to resort to name calling soon.

But seriously, i still stand by my point about expecting something more from the manga. The direction that it could have proceeded compared to where it went is disappointing. The brother has become the cliché male whom we all detest. Though its apparent that i either forgot many of these hints or hadn't noticed them on my first read that the mangaka was alluding to him being scum.

joined Oct 13, 2015

I doubt many in the comments will agree but i was dissapointed with the ending.
She had her wish to see her sister, sayuri to reconcile with her father, learn that the world was not so bad, make friends, care for others, sayuri met someone who was einterested in her as well.

It would have been more moving if she were dead. Imagine the punch that would have had. Instead it finishes with 'the power of love' as the panacea.

I did enjoy this. And i do like most of the characters, including mikoto. Imdon't wish for her death but i think the alternative ending would have been more memorable.

OhMyGecko
joined Oct 13, 2015

I just caught up on three chapters. But i don't rememeber the brother being such a bastard. I actually liked his character. But in the last few, it's as though the mangaka has been changing his personality so that we would dislike him and to give reasons for divorce.
Maybe a missed earlier hints but this felt very sudden and a little bit forced.
Anyone else feel the same?

There was foreshadowing dropped at the very beginning. Comments about cheating, he's always late, he's always forgetting things, Risako is late to the reunion with Kaoru and gives the same kind of excuses as Reiichi.

But I don't think his personality is changing at all. People have this image in their mind that only dispicable assholes cheat, and it is definitely true that when someone cheats, they are -being- a dispicable asshole at least in that moment, but people are complex. A person can be a shitty husband but a good brother. They can love their wife but still have feelings they can't let go of for someone else. A lot of people feel uncomfortable with that, but it's the reality of it.

I still strongly suspect that his feelings of affection towards Kaoru are not the main reason he is with her. He likes her, he's known her forever, but I think he married her and stays with her out of some kind of guilt. Time will tell if I'm right on this, but it seems pretty likely he doesn't love her the way she loves him, or probably the way he loves Risako.

Maybe i should reread this then. It may be more obvious when you know what will take place later.
i'm just a little dissapointed because the idea that the brother may be a good person (though imperfect) makes this a difficult manga to take sides. Yes, i want a yuri ending but if the married couple are happy and good to one another, it would be wrong to break them up. Which is the percieved dilemma.
So you think the character hasn't changed but rather the problems are more obvious and blatant? That actually seems more likely.

Thank you for this. I may need a reread.

last edited at Apr 23, 2018 3:49AM

joined Oct 13, 2015

I accidentally read this in reverse order. It was oddly enjoyable.

Ritsu Overstepped the boundries and did some shit i would have been ashamed of. But then it worked out for her so i guess... If you're a creep, keep creeping and things will go your way?

last edited at Apr 19, 2018 9:02AM

OhMyGecko
joined Oct 13, 2015

I just caught up on three chapters. But i don't rememeber the brother being such a bastard. I actually liked his character. But in the last few, it's as though the mangaka has been changing his personality so that we would dislike him and to give reasons for divorce.
Maybe a missed earlier hints but this felt very sudden and a little bit forced.
Anyone else feel the same?

OhMyGecko
joined Oct 13, 2015

I prefer longer, more slow paced stories. And i was excited with how it opened. But it's a tad short even though it has some great scenes that aren't shown enough, as Doctor_Hoot mentioned above, with the negatives of society that comes along with their relationship.

I would have loved to have seen more of the characters, espescially the apparent boyish side (only really heard about it) of Hinako.

Oh, what i would do for another 3, or 10, more chapters.

OhMyGecko
Citrus discussion 16 Apr 03:56
joined Oct 13, 2015

I thought this reference to one of the most famous modern poems in the English language was incredibly apropos to the general course of Mei’s development in Citrus. (Brutally paraphrased: what appeared in a person’s life to be signals that all was well (Mei’s hypercompetent persona) were actually signs of desperation.)

I actually didn't expect anyone to get that. More the fool me for underestimating.

The water immagery made me think of the poem and when i compared, it seemed to fit well. I did read most of the other comments and everything i could say has been said. Mei is not okay. But it's only because we get to see what Yuzu does that we know she is struggling as the weight of her responsibilities threaten to overwhelm her. Yet she keeps her composure and others (not all) think that she is fine.

OhMyGecko
joined Oct 13, 2015

I'm very late to this but throroughly enjoyed the chapter. Though it says dropped. Does anyone have any news on this?

OhMyGecko
Citrus discussion 13 Apr 05:52
joined Oct 13, 2015

the deluge imagery, experiences, and general concept permeates the whole of Citrus, for whatever reason, upstairs.

Mei wasn't waving. She was drowning.

last edited at Apr 13, 2018 5:53AM

OhMyGecko
Yuri☆Kome discussion 12 Apr 03:13
joined Oct 13, 2015

After reading a lot of manwha lately, i can honestly say that it's simply nice to be able to follow the dialogue so easily.
Which is a little embarrassing because it feels like th translators put more effort into this than the mangaka.

OhMyGecko
Bully discussion 07 Dec 19:46
joined Oct 13, 2015

Not much to say about the story - there’s only so much you can do in a one shot and keep the story coherent. But I really enjoyed the art. Especially that kiss.

last edited at Dec 7, 2017 7:47PM