Forum › Someday, We’ll Get There discussion

Nws
joined Jul 1, 2014

I'd love if they made a cheeky reference to a popular fighting game pro

last edited at Jul 6, 2017 12:15AM

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Shijou is nicely done but Minoru...well let's say I just don't like her.
She's presented as too OP, I mean, even if you go slow against a beginner, there's almost no chance for him to block.

I know it's the first chapter and it must be justified that she start fighting game but still...Well I just hope it will be more coherent on this point later.

I think the fighting game genre is being portrayed well for the most part, Minoru just happened to intuitively grasp the mechanics of blocking, which rightfully surprised Shijou. It does happen in real life. Compare to Slam Dunk, which has a player doing a layup and then having girls swooning over it, or Kuroko no Basket which just infuriates me with it's lack of understanding of the sport or culture of basketball

last edited at Jul 6, 2017 1:05AM

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

Come on! Wtv said in the spoiler text earlier that there was some fairly obvious subtext already and it's only 8 chapters in.

I said one scene. One scene in 8 chapter hardly should be considered subtext. We have a lot of more in less in any MTK show.
Anyway, I'm not the one calling it queerbaiting. I wouldn't say that for a lot of reasons and don't think it's yuri, but okay, it's not het either. That's not why I dislike it, though. This is just a bad "sports" manga.

To begin with, yeah, I can't take "e-sports" seriously. I don't know how they could do it interesting and this title sure as hell isn't showing me. What they do here would be considered bad in any sports manga, because we have 8...8 full chapters of exposition.
Yes, in each of these 8 chatpers they give a full tutorial about frame, dash, blocking, canceling, any little thing about fighting game. This is just bad storytelling.
Think about it. Imagine Saki, or any sport anime, for that matter, where they spend hundreds and hundreds of pages explaining the technical part of that sport. Its rules, its strategies. There's a reason no one does that. Sport manga should be fun, not educational. We don't want to learn about the sport while reading it, we want it to be emotional. But here we have pretty much a fighting game manual, instead of an actual manga.

Well, you'll probably see it once more chapters are translated. And you'll see why it's hard to put any yuri inside of a story that's not even trying to work with their characters to begin with.

last edited at Jul 6, 2017 9:22AM by Nezchan

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

If anyone is questioning how a player with tournament experience could struggle against a first-timer, please watch this:
https://youtu.be/LfEVcZ3anG0

joined Jun 12, 2015

This is basically a fighting game manual: the manga. Yuri manga? Not so much.

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

Niice....Nice....Niice.... VERY NICE

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

not melee but still like it/10

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Shijou is nicely done but Minoru...well let's say I just don't like her.
She's presented as too OP, I mean, even if you go slow against a beginner, there's almost no chance for him to block.

I know it's the first chapter and it must be justified that she start fighting game but still...Well I just hope it will be more coherent on this point later.

I think the fighting game genre is being portrayed well for the most part, Minoru just happened to intuitively grasp the mechanics of blocking, which rightfully surprised Shijou. It does happen in real life. Compare to Slam Dunk, which has a player doing a layup and then having girls swooning over it, or Kuroko no Basket which just infuriates me with it's lack of understanding of the sport or culture of basketball

Maybe Minoru just has a really good yomi (inherited from her dad, perhaps?), so as soon as she got the basic controls down, she could rad Shijou like a book?

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

Maybe Minoru just has a really good yomi (inherited from her dad, perhaps?)

So Minoru is the next Daigo?

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Maybe Minoru just has a really good yomi (inherited from her dad, perhaps?), so as soon as she got the basic controls down, she could rad Shijou like a book?

Here's my take on that, which you might find interesting:
What fighting game players call "yomi" is really just educated guessing based on enormous amounts of knowledge and experience. Reading your opponent isn't really something you intentionally do, it's something you instinctively do from playing a sport or a game so much that you see the same situations repeated over and over again.
It is not an inherent trait a person can have the first time they play a game. Players like Daigo Umehara have played so much Street Fighter over so many years that they have an EXTREMELY good idea of how their opponents are going to act in most situations.

last edited at Jul 6, 2017 4:00AM

joined May 10, 2015

I too gave been enjoying Tekken. Funny seeing Cat versions of the fighters.

If anyone is questioning how a player with tournament experience could struggle against a first-timer, please watch this:
https://youtu.be/LfEVcZ3anG0

That video was great, newer players can be hard because you cannot predict what they are going to do so your usual responses don't work.
Then getting tilted because you are struggling against someone who you should have no problem with.

Alpha%20avatar
joined Nov 13, 2015

Now that I think about it, the title suits the whole yuri subtext thing perfectly.

It really does describe my thoughts while reading this kind of thing.
Someday, the plot will actually develop, right?

joined Mar 15, 2017

I said one scene. One scene in 8 chapter hardly should be considered subtext. We have a lot of more in less in any MTK show.

But there is more than that. Shijou is pretty obviously very jealous when Minoru spends time with other girls and right now the plot is over whether she or the newer character gets to have Minoru training with them, which is also who gets to live with Minoru.

Also, there is in fact many manga that will try to explain things like the rules and strategies of a sport or similar activity. It's quite a popular genre of manga, so it just shows an unfamiliarity with manga to be criticizing this particular one for it. If you're not at all interested in the information then of course it's not going to seem good, but other people do want this sort of thing.

last edited at Jul 6, 2017 4:04AM

joined Dec 28, 2016

YO SERIOUSLY WHO WOULD SAY NO WHEN THEY HAVE A CHANCE TO GO AMERICA. This happens a lot in manga but in real life you wouldn't give a shit about your school and friends if you can study in a foreign country

nope. Just nope -.-

and "America" is a continent, just for the record.

and "アメリカ" in Japan is used almost universally in Japan to refer to the United States of America, just for the record.

joined Dec 28, 2016

I wouldn't go to America these days, even if I was paid for it. That country is fucking scary.

Anyway, it High Score Girl with lolis and possibly-yuri. Sure, why not.

But I'm skeptical.

Can we not do politics here please? (For the record, America is not scary, I feel safer here than any other country in the world.)

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So Minoru is the next Daigo?

Not until she pulls off a Chun-Li full parry. :-P

Here's my take on that, which you might find interesting:
What fighting game players call "yomi" is really just educated guessing based on enormous amounts of knowledge and experience. Reading your opponent isn't really something you intentionally do, it's something you instinctively do from playing a sport or a game so much that you see the same situations repeated over and over again.
It is not an inherent trait a person can have the first time they play a game. Players like Daigo Umehara have played so much Street Fighter over so many years that they have an EXTREMELY good idea of how their opponents are going to act in most situations.

I have read arguments that yomi is transferable across games (like Virtual Fighter players also being good at rock-paper-scissors), however, and we already know that Minoru trained with her dad in some martial arts. She wasn't very good at it, but it may have been because she was hampered by her still-growing body. But if her dad managed to teach her the basic rhythm of attack and defense, these skills might have kicked in during her fight with Shijou as soon as she had learned the basic in-game tells. I am not saying that this level of yomi is not highly improbable, but still possible in the context of a fictional work. :-)

last edited at Jul 6, 2017 5:01AM

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

That kind of makes sense, 3D fighting game matches essentially consist of a series of "rock-paper-scissors" events (especially Soulcalibur) so there could be some transference. However, the vast majority of a person's ability to predict their opponent's behavior in a game comes from highly specific experience. For instance, someone who is actually a competitive rock-paper-scissors player will win more often than the Virtua Fighter player. Also prior martial arts training wouldn't have anything to do with knowing to push a joystick diagonally downward, and I hope the author doesn't claim it does.

last edited at Jul 6, 2017 5:18AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Not sure I'm feeling this one yet. Hopefully it turns out more interesting than it has this first chapter.

majere posted:

I kind of like having affordable access to health care and a not staggeringly corrupt federal government.

What a weirdo. All our freedom clearly offsets those concerns.

ergzay posted:

Can we not do politics here please? (For the record, America is not scary, I feel safer here than any other country in the world.)

It's actually somewhat relevant so what's the issue? And of course it's not scary for you. You live here. For someone coming from another first world nation though, especially one who is up to date on the ongoings of the US, it'd be understandably scary. It'd also be understandably scary for someone who doesn't speak English, especially if their native language is one that would rank English as a difficult language to learn.

last edited at Jul 6, 2017 5:35AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I guess white, young, healthy, well off, christian, heterosexual, natural born citizens of the U.S., with a loaded gun in their car, feel relatively safe.

And they find it natural.

Others, not so much.

Rosenakahara
Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

I guess white, young, healthy, well off, christian, heterosexual, natural born citizens of the U.S., with a loaded gun in their car, feel relatively safe.

Others, not so much.

Can we please not do this here.
Especially with the assuming you know peoples circumstances.

last edited at Jul 6, 2017 6:41AM

Lyra%20jones
joined Jul 6, 2017

Others, not so much.

YAWWWN

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

I wouldn't go to America these days, even if I was paid for it. That country is fucking scary.

Anyway, it High Score Girl with lolis and possibly-yuri. Sure, why not.

But I'm skeptical.

It is because you're used to that kind of society and you normalized crime and murder. From my Spanish and snobby point of view your country looks like a war zone.

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

It is because you're used to that kind of society and you normalized crime and murder. From my Spanish and snobby point of view your country looks like a war zone.

Judging a country solely by the bits that make the news is a great way to get distorted picture of the place.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

That's nice that you've been to every country in the world already.

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

Judging a country solely by the bits that make the news is a great way to get distorted picture of the place.

No, what I was trying to say is that it depends on perception and by no means I consider the USA significantly more dangerous than other 1st world countries.

I just felt like mocking such an statement because it is arrogant. There are a whole lot of safer countries than the USA even if it isn't by a wide margin and a handful of them are directly heaven in comparison.

To reply you must either login or sign up.