Forum › Someday, We’ll Get There discussion

joined May 22, 2017

I feel like this could have been better if it was something along the lines of "MC gets dragged into (local-level) team-based fighting game tourney because [reasons], has to learn to play fighting games from no experience to help [friend/classmate/whomever] win". You have your training/gay during break periods, and during the tourney you could have a bunch of fighting game action panels and all that. I mean, it's not a great idea, incredibly cliched and whatnot, but to me it'd be better than what we got.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

They don't want to be pro-gamers? "Filthy casuals..."

And by the way, this is badly drawn and badly scenarized... It doesn't hold a candle to High Score Girl.

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

I feel like this could have been better if it was something along the lines of "MC gets dragged into (local-level) team-based fighting game tourney because [reasons], has to learn to play fighting games from no experience to help [friend/classmate/whomever] win". You have your training/gay during break periods, and during the tourney you could have a bunch of fighting game action panels and all that. I mean, it's not a great idea, incredibly cliched and whatnot, but to me it'd be better than what we got.

I'd say the weakness here is the use of fighter games. On the one hand, it makes sense: it's two people and they're usually sitting across from each other in an arcade. On the other hand, they're incredibly technical, with everything beyond the basics needing a good deal of explanation to understand; it's just far too easy to lock people out.

There are more accessible genres that this idea could work with, but they tend to be almost exclusively played over the internet; outside of setting the story in the LAN party era, you'd have some difficulty bringing the characters together.

joined Apr 8, 2018

Hi just wanna say the notation at:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/someday_well_get_there_ch09#9
should be b+2,1 not b,1+2. Thanks

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

"The Fighting Game Hag"

+1 vote for worst gamer tag.

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Uh-oh. Mino's gonna level up again.
She's gonna learn how to hard read.

joined Oct 10, 2016

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/someday_well_get_there_ch11#12
That one on down left - doesn't it look like Tekken's Heihachi Mishima? :D
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/someday_well_get_there_ch11#14
And this gloves - Just like the ones Jin Kazama is wearing. Lol.

last edited at Apr 20, 2018 3:08AM

joined May 10, 2015

Yeah we have, Jin, Heihachi, Paul, Yoshimitsu and Xiaoyu as our girls characters.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

minor error in ch 11, pg 10 was fixed https://yuriproject.net/someday-well-get-ch11/

Screenshot_2017-06-30-15-13-16
joined Sep 11, 2016

last chapter? no way

joined Jun 12, 2015

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

Kinda feels like I've been reading a fighting game wiki more than a story, but I'll miss the cute characters at least.

joined Jun 30, 2016

That was the end? what was the point?!

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

That was the end? what was the point?!

It says it's still on going, but I'm not sure if that's just the status not being updated.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

AnAsianBrony posted:

Kinda feels like I've been reading a fighting game wiki more than a story, but I'll miss the cute characters at least.

there's so much "double frame cancel" this and 'korean wavedash" that and "cherry wombo combo" and, like, no kissing

let them tap v-isms. seriously guys

last edited at Jul 12, 2018 11:10PM

joined Apr 18, 2018

It feels pretty pointless reading this if chapter 12 is indeed the actual ending. There's literally way too little progression, the characters talked about achieving their dreams that would never be drawn and all the yuri is just subtext. Pretty poor art as well. And finally, all those lengthy explanations about the games are just boring. This is a 4 out of 10. Kinda bad to be honest.

joined Sep 11, 2014

It's a bit sad that the author said it'll be yuri in the end if it ever reaches that end, but the series had to be cut short.

Maybe if she made a manga instead of a cutesy fighting game manual, we might've gotten that yuri end.

Skulltroop_far_wht
joined Jun 3, 2018

Yeah, I feel this manga focused too much on the fighting game(s) and explaining them too often and in way too much detail. Not enough focus on the characters or story.

joined Jul 13, 2018

honestly, these comments are sickening me. bet most people that read this story, never actually tried to get good at fighting games. Like, REALLY tried to get good. why they explained it so much? so that you can understand the hardships and the skill you have to need to be good. you can relate better and get exited when you know what its about. even if you never played a fighting game. and it did. i didnt learn anything new but it was all the same stuff i had to learn when i started playing fighting games. its on point. You sadly need to know about frames and mixups, so you can understand the growth. too bad, most yuri readers just give a fuck about kissing and scissoring and forgot how yuri even began forming. with subtext. this wouldve been an awesome story. an epic story. all the shoujo ai at EVO, handholding, suki suki with blushing i dont know. it wouldve been great. if not for stupid yuri hime readers and you guys even. underappreciated work.
rest in peace, hope to see you one day again.

joined Jul 26, 2016

-- and you guys even.

Yes because us the not even intended target audience saying anything about it on a forum nobody at YH even takes a look at obviously matters at all.
eyeroll.gif
I mean technically we could be said to be engaging in a form of piracy here ferchrissakes.

Personally I found it fairly interesting even if fighting games aren't particularly my cup of tea (I like learning new stuff) but I can see how a lot of people would be turned off by the dense infodumps on, frankly, a quite technical and niche subject matter.

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

honestly, these comments are sickening me. bet most people that read this story, never actually tried to get good at fighting games. Like, REALLY tried to get good.

Pretty big assumption, not necessarily true.

why they explained it so much? so that you can understand the hardships and the skill you have to need to be good. you can relate better and get exited when you know what its about.

There's no need to break down every fight step-by-step in technical terms in order to make the reader understand how hard it is for the MC. Just because I understand, I dunno, how hard it is to bait an MK frame 6 D-smash which can be potentially followed with an invincible Shuttle Loop and punish the following roll with a read into grab (see, really boring), doesn't mean I want to read about it every single chapter.

I actually appreciate the effort both the scanlator and the author put in for what it's worth. They thought it'd be a cool take. I disagree. Evidently, many others do as well.

most yuri readers just give a fuck about kissing and scissoring and forgot how yuri even began forming

You have to be trolling. I'm disappointed I even took the time to reply.

last edited at Jul 14, 2018 1:28AM

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

its over RIP. im gonna miss this series.

Breakdanceanomicon
joined Jun 13, 2015

honestly, these comments are sickening me. bet most people that read this story, never actually tried to get good at fighting games. Like, REALLY tried to get good. why they explained it so much? so that you can understand the hardships and the skill you have to need to be good. you can relate better and get exited when you know what its about. even if you never played a fighting game. and it did. i didnt learn anything new but it was all the same stuff i had to learn when i started playing fighting games. its on point. You sadly need to know about frames and mixups, so you can understand the growth. too bad, most yuri readers just give a fuck about kissing and scissoring and forgot how yuri even began forming. with subtext. this wouldve been an awesome story. an epic story. all the shoujo ai at EVO, handholding, suki suki with blushing i dont know. it wouldve been great. if not for stupid yuri hime readers and you guys even. underappreciated work.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Someday, We'll Get There...

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

Maybe if she made a manga instead of a cutesy fighting game manual, we might've gotten that yuri end.

In a way, it can't be helped: fighting games are very technical. I understand what they were going for, but the genre's a tough nut to crack just casually. They probably could've pulled it off with another type of game, but I'm not sure there's anything else that gets to pro-level that involves in-person meetings now that LAN parties are a thing of the past.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

how can you speak on behalf of those that that don't understand fighting games and those that do at the same time? (then making assumptions about people based their depth their favorite genre?) It's the authors job to tell a story people want to hear in a way they want to hear it. Throwing jargon at them pretty much never goes over well. There is a better way and this author should have figured it out.

I'm actually behind on this series. Since I only come here for yuri i think I missed the updates when the yuri tag was removed. Just wanted to get an idea how it was going from the comments. Will catch up when I have time.

Did I mention I had an idea for yuri involving fighting games? It wouldn't have went with the oh-so-relatable prodigy that goes on to win the biggest tournament in the world. Just a local or something.

To reply you must either login or sign up.