Forum › Someday, We’ll Get There discussion

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/someday_well_get_there_ch02#4

There's so many things wrong happening in that page, I can't even begin.

And I understand competitive gaming is a thing, but I think the fun is lost along the way. She'll come to hate fighting games.

last edited at Jul 10, 2017 1:53PM

Arg
joined Jan 17, 2014

I can already see that Shijou will end up learning that she has to enjoy the game as well as being dedicated to be truly the best.

Breakdanceanomicon
joined Jun 13, 2015

Lel, this series accidentally makes fighting games look terrible and people who play them insane. Which isn't that far off from the truth.
Also still no signs of any meaningful yuri.

3089135_1354253222168.89res_320_317
joined Apr 1, 2016

Goes on about input lag
Brings in just another laggy LCD
Too weak to heave a CRT over to her house

Absolutely disgusting

Kinda sad greentexting doesnt work here

last edited at Jul 10, 2017 2:42PM

Images
joined Apr 4, 2012

Retards are out in full force kek kek kek

joined Jun 12, 2015

Well, this manga is a YH way to pander to gamers. Isn't yuri manga started to be sold on gamers section in Japan last year?

joined Dec 24, 2013

Goes on about input lag

Absolutely disgusting

They aren't playing Melee. Modern fighting games are natively 16:9. If you played them on a CRT then you would get lag from it outputting a different resolution, not to mention it would look compacted, messing up spacing. There are LCDs that only have 1ms of lag, which is impossible to notice. This is what all modern fighting game tourneys use.

last edited at Jul 10, 2017 2:51PM

Psx_20160306_172109
joined Mar 21, 2013

Ayyyyy look its Maimai

joined Oct 17, 2016

So, this is the Yuri version of Hi Score girl - one of my currently fav mangas?^^

joined Aug 10, 2016

The most important part of video games is having fun

I didn't know this was written by a filthy casual

Img_8611
joined Sep 8, 2016

Come on Shijou, get top 8 with low tier characters is how you make a name for yourself. XD

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

Wew, I only got here because this showed up in the Most Popular section and the cover made the girls look like Mai and Reo from Sono Hanabira, and even when I realized it wasn't them, I thought "what the hell, why not read it".

Now, I have no real experience with fighting games or the community, and all I know is that the community has the reputation of being one of the most cancerous in gaming.

But I have played a few arcade games before, and a few competitive games as well, so I can, kinda, relate to stuff like character balance, arcade vs. home releases, etc. Shijou is milder than what I've seen from "competitive" video game players.

I'd rather have a sports manga start with 8 chapters of rules, explanations and metagame talk, whether I know already about the sport/game/other hobby or not, than 8 chapters of "iMpOsSiBlE ShOnEn aCtIoN StUnTs!!!111", no matter how "emotional".

The art is fine. The moeness is at about the level of Namori, but not Morishima Akiko.

Now that I think about it, the title suits the whole yuri subtext thing perfectly.

Clever. I thought the title wasn't very good, but you've made me change my mind on it.

last edited at Jul 10, 2017 3:58PM

joined Jun 23, 2017

I don't think the FG community is any more cancerous than any other gaming community. Sure there are elitist douchebags but that's true with any community. In fact, most people in it that I've talked to are more than happy to help you as long as you come in with a good attitude and don't just blame the game for everything.

But this chapter really is a perfect example on how to scare someone away from fighting games. A beginner should not worry about frame data and which characters are good and which characters are bad. The most important part for getting someone into fighting games is to make sure they have fun. And part of having fun is being able to play a character that one enjoys, no matter how good or bad it is.

last edited at Jul 10, 2017 3:47PM

Thumbnail_0f974c4024acb1498ed2be1bfb41d2cc3a513746
joined Jul 21, 2013

I know a few gamers who for them calculations are what is fun, all all male though.

joined Apr 1, 2016

Goes on about input lag

Absolutely disgusting

They aren't playing Melee. Modern fighting games are natively 16:9. If you played them on a CRT then you would get lag from it outputting a different resolution, not to mention it would look compacted, messing up spacing. There are LCDs that only have 1ms of lag, which is impossible to notice. This is what all modern fighting game tourneys use.

My statement was meant in an ironic way but you're still wrong.
First of all, melee isn't the only game you'll want to have no input lag at all with.
Second of all, there are CRTs without any digital processing that can take up to 1080i so if you were that anal about not using LCDs, you could even get the latest gen consoles hooked up to such a CRT.
About 16:9, heck I even have a small 9 inch crt monitor that has a 16:9 button to readjust the image for such content.
About people using LCDs at fighting game tournaments, I'm not so sure. I've seen some stream recordings and a lot of discussions about the topics and at least in the last gen PS3/XBox 360 CRTs seem still have been widely used. Maybe for this gen it's different since not a whole lot of CRTs support that content but since I'm not really into fighting games whatsoever I won't argue about that.
On the topic of it being noticeable or not, I'd say there's no definite way of saying that. Some people can sense that kind of stuff more than other people. In some tiny way this statement kind of reminds me of the old saying "your eyes can't see more than 30fps anyways". At the end of the day though, CRTs have pretty much no lag whatsoever, whereas an LCD, no matter how good it is, will have at least some.

last edited at Jul 10, 2017 4:10PM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

The most important part for getting someone into fighting games is to make sure they have fun. And part of having fun is being able to play a character that one enjoys, no matter how good or bad it is.

True, but at the same time, once you start whatever multiplayer you choose, even if fairly casual, it's super-annoying if you basically can't play your fav since it's one huge handicap. I suppose for a complete beginner it wouldn't matter too much, but I doubt that'd last long.

But it's basically the same for all games. Certain strategies, weapons etc are the most effective, and then you either do what everybody else does, or accept that you are going to lose against players of equal skill.

joined Dec 24, 2013

My statement was meant in an ironic way but you're still wrong.
First of all, melee isn't the only game you'll want to have no input lag at all with.

Okay? You wouldn't want lag for any game whatsoever.

Second of all, there are CRTs without any digital processing that can take up to 1080i so if you were that anal about not using LCDs, you could even get the latest gen consoles hooked up to such a CRT.

Why would you want carry heavy CRTs instead of a 1ms LCD? Lag on 1ms response time monitors are impossible to notice. No professional video game player ever complains about 1ms monitors unless they're cheap and crappy.

About 16:9, heck I even have a small 9 inch crt monitor that has a 16:9 button to readjust the image for such content.

Same answer as above.

About people using LCDs at fighting game tournaments, I'm not so sure. I've seen some stream recordings and a lot of discussions about the topics and at least in the last gen PS3/XBox 360 CRTs seem still have been widely used. Maybe for this gen it's different since not a whole lot of CRTs support that content but since I'm not really into fighting games whatsoever I won't argue about that.

I'm a part of the FGC in that I watch and enter tournaments and every fighting game uses a monitor apart from Melee, which uses a CRT. The reason they use a CRT is due to the fact that it would lag having to upscale the game on a monitor. Same reason they don't use 1080i CRTs, since the game would have to upscale, so even that CRT would cause the game to lag.

On the topic of it being noticeable or not, I'd say there's no definite way of saying that. Some people can sense that kind of stuff more than other people. In some tiny way this statement kind of reminds me of the old saying "your eyes can't see more than 30fps anyways". At the end of the day though, CRTs have pretty much no lag whatsoever, whereas an LCD, no matter how good it is, will have at least some.

The best monitors available that are used in tournaments do not have humanly noticeable lag. This isn't an issue in the FGC unless crappy monitors are used, which would be the TOs fault for picking a shitty brand or whatever, not an actually monitor problem.

For every modern fighting game, LCD > CRT. So no, i'm not wrong.

joined Jun 23, 2017

The most important part for getting someone into fighting games is to make sure they have fun. And part of having fun is being able to play a character that one enjoys, no matter how good or bad it is.

True, but at the same time, once you start whatever multiplayer you choose, even if fairly casual, it's super-annoying if you basically can't play your fav since it's one huge handicap. I suppose for a complete beginner it wouldn't matter too much, but I doubt that'd last long.

But it's basically the same for all games. Certain strategies, weapons etc are the most effective, and then you either do what everybody else does, or accept that you are going to lose against players of equal skill.

Fortunately most fighting games being released nowadays are usually pretty balanced and picking a low tier character doesn't usually lead to insurmountable match ups. And that's not taking into account that balance patches are much more frequent than they used to be.

But in the end it comes down to would you rather lose with a character you have fun playing or win with a character you don't like. I myself picked option 1, as I mained Makoto all through SSF4 when she was considered the worst character in the game (yes even worse than joke character Dan).

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I love this because it parodies the trope about separating them just when they start to make friends.

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

New girl is cute. I hope she doesn't turn out to be a cunt.

joined Apr 1, 2016

@Zelpora

Yeah sorry, the stuff you said in your first comment is not wrong, though you can argue about it.
The one sentence i meant is wrong was: "If you played them on a CRT then you would get lag from it outputting a different resolution, not to mention it would look compacted, messing up spacing."

Why would you want carry heavy CRTs instead of a 1ms LCD? Lag on 1ms response time monitors are impossible to notice. No professional video game player ever complains about 1ms monitors unless they're cheap and crappy.

There are CRTs in sizes that can still be carried moderately well. Additionally, they're cheap and people almost throw them after you nowadays so that's one big advantage. Especially for small budgets i'd say they're better than expensive LCDs made especially for gaming.
CRT: cheap, no lag > gaming LCD: expensive, lag
Yes even if "unnoticable" it still exists.
Current gen excluded of course.

I'm a part of the FGC in that I watch and enter tournaments and every fighting game uses a monitor apart from Melee, which uses a CRT. The reason they use a CRT is due to the fact that it would lag having to upscale the game on a monitor. Same reason they don't use 1080i CRTs, since the game would have to upscale, so even that CRT would cause the game to lag.

Maybe now but when the PS3 and XBox360 which could still output lower resolutions easily were still big CRTs did have their place there.
About what you're claiming for 1080i stuff. I think you misunderstood me. I'm not talking about HD CRTs. There are certain professional monitors like some Sony BVM models that can display resolutions up to 1080i WITHOUT additional digital processing meaning they do not have lag. Of course for that you have to feed them a 1080i source and with that I meant, for example a PS4 or XBOX One (Dunno if the XBOX can do 1080i but the PS4 can) to show that even current gen could in theory use no lag CRTs. If you feed them lower resolution signals like 240p or something, of course they'll display in 240p without upscaling or any kind of lag.
What you thought of were consumer HD CRTs, which are honestly not good for gaming either way.

The fact that you're better off with just using an LCD for current gen fighting games which can't easily output lowres resolutions is definitely true.
Just wanted to say in theory it is possible to do it with 1080i.

last edited at Jul 10, 2017 7:46PM

Ava%20baby
joined May 5, 2013

New girl is cute. I hope she doesn't turn out to be a cunt.

She kinda reminds me of Game Gear in the Sega Hard Girls

This chap was kinda crazy but I liked it. My favorite character in Tekken went to average to top-tier if I listen the community (it's Xiaoyu) So picking one "bad" character can be a good thing for a later game :p

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

Not very yuri at this point yet, but this is an interesting and fun reading.

Itzameapotterhead
Img_pzb2xa
joined Jul 4, 2016

So you mean to tell me that there are arcades in Japan that only focuses on rhythm games? JAPAN HERE I COME

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

Speaking of milliseconds, the games run at 60 FPS, yes? So one frame lag would be 16-17 ms. I'm pretty sure most FullHD monitors today have 4-5ms latency, so what exactly is the point of "CRT-only" purists here? Looks like overoptimisation to me, akin to those "special" audiophile cables.

To reply you must either login or sign up.