Forum › Virgins' Empire discussion

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Couple of quick translation suggestions:

p. 54, second panel down on the left: I have seen you use this translation, "Hi hi!" a few times in the series but only now looked at the original. The original this time is "うふっ”, which is basically the sound they use in anime for sophisticated female characters to giggle/half laugh

Hmmm . . . there's something like a convention in manga scanlation of doing a certain kind of somewhat affected giggle/laugh as "fu fu fu"--is that this one? (I believe I've also seen it as "ho ho ho")

p.55 - The lower left panel, what Mahiro says "~言うこときくから” the meaning here of きく is more like "comply with" than "listen to." So maybe "I'll comply with anything you say, ..."

Problem is, "comply with" sounds clumsy and overformal as English usage. No way would Mahi-mahi say something like that. I'd say either leave it as is (because while the meaning is admittedly not quite right, use like that comes up enough in manga that I think a lot of readers have sort of gotten used to "listen to" taking on somewhat stronger connotations), or use "do", rendering the line "I'll do anything", which is natural English usage for roughly that concept. Ehhh, but that doesn't flow well into the joke at the start of next page--maybe "agree to"?

last edited at Aug 26, 2016 10:11AM

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

"Hee hee" looks hella weird to me. Hehe?
Idk, hihi looked fine to me, but it might be cus im used to seeing it used in french. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

joined Mar 8, 2016

PLG: Yeah, that's basically it, "ふ" being phonetically equivalent to "fu." In this case it would be "u fu~". The "ho ho ho" one is the "ojou-sama" laugh, the loud, fakey laugh of haughty villains and grandstanders. :)

DrMario: "Listen to" can have the connotation of "obey" if the people involved have an authority figure/subordinate relationship (e.g. "Listen to your parents!"). I don't know exactly how I would position Yuu and Mari in relationship to the Mahi-Mahi alien sugar fairy bubble world, but it never seemed to me like Yuu has any luck getting them to do what she wants. Mari is better at it. :) Also, the usage is for things the subordinate must do, not the authority, which is why it doesn't flow as well with the joke of Yuu's circular logic request. I like "agree to" though, in the spirit if not letter of the translation.

Faust: "Hi hi" looks like someone saying "hello" in a childish way in English (long "i" is the only way a native speaker would read it.) "Hehe" is fine but doesn't convey the haughtiness. I agree that "hee hee" is not right, it's too sneaky/mischievous.

last edited at Aug 26, 2016 5:14PM

Osu
joined Jul 29, 2016

Feels like I havent seen Chie and Ah-chan in so long, they're my favorite ;_;

joined Jul 26, 2016

Accept it Yuu, the MahiMahi are your destined foil for the rest of your high school days.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

joined Sep 21, 2014

@Tamahime
I wrote "hihi". Idk if it makes a difference to you but when i saw you write it with a space, I did read it as hello hello, but idk, doesn't "hihi" feel different?
I don't remember wha kind of laugh/feeling it was supposed to convey, but for with context/the right expression, "hehe" could be arrogant/superior-feeling no?

Img_8470
joined Sep 6, 2016

Feels like I havent seen Chie and Ah-chan in so long, they're my favorite ;_;

Same ;u;

Sshot-8
joined Oct 25, 2011

Dear god, I'm glad Mari knows how to handle Yuu because I doubt many can.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

I like how this series conveniently has a sign telling people that the random male character isn't a romantic interest

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Midori and Hibiki... That feels so refreshing!!!!!

last edited at Sep 12, 2016 8:21PM

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

Chapter 75 is also updated now, with the suggested translation improvements.

Femshep%20x%20liara%20avatar
joined Dec 8, 2013

Oh my god a jealous Yuu-chan appears! So fucking cute. <3

Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

Midori's found someone cute and lively who will treat her right, and Mari and Yuu continue to have a perfect dynamic.

joined Jan 8, 2014

Dannnng, Yuu-chan sure is cute in pig tails and a santa hat... I want someone in my life to dress like that too :p lol
Thanks for translating! ^_^

joined Sep 11, 2014

mari and yuu should just kisss~~~

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

"nobody checked to see if I was alive" i laughed

those two would be cute togetherr~ plus Mari and Yuu have another great chapter as always!

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

So, Hibiki is really over the b-queen that I don't care to remember her name ? Good. Really hope she'll get with Midori or some other girl that won't treat her just like some cute accessory. -o-

Love how Yuu's sanity is taking a beating whenever she's around the twins. XD

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

Now I want cake

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

I'm Midori so hard xDDDDDDD I wish I could draw :'c (but yuri instead of yaoi)

%20%c3%93%c3%83%c2%a4
joined Feb 24, 2016

Aw Yuu sure is sweet, she was like "Dont touch muy waifu!"

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Lol TFW Kouhai doesn't notice you

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

There's a really dumb mistake on page 1 (me being stupid, not the QCer's fault). New version's gonna be up soon.
Edit: Fixed now!

last edited at Sep 20, 2016 7:16PM

984ee08ca42d308f9bdaa33a06c653e7
joined Dec 24, 2015

So I was re reading (can't get enough) and then I noticed this reference I never saw before : http://dynasty-scans.com/system/releases/000/015/648/00170.png here, isn't it a parody of Chigusa Tsukikage from Glass no Kamen? I mean, just look at her face : https://myanimelist.net/images/characters/14/92849.jpg

joined Sep 21, 2014

lmao, pure fansercive and I loved it

joined Jan 8, 2014

D'aww poor sempai...will she ever get noticed by her kouhai, I had almost forgotten about this pairing...
Its the shy ones you have to watch out for ^_^ lol

To reply you must either login or sign up.