Forum › Tonari no Robot discussion

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

this manga is the best

joined Jun 12, 2015

I like these scientists!

Im loving this series. How many chapters does it have? Anyone knows?

1 Volume, 8 chapters + 1 extra

The%20witch's%20house
joined Apr 9, 2015

I like these scientists!

Im loving this series. How many chapters does it have? Anyone knows?

1 Volume, 8 chapters + 1 extra

Please say there is no time skip or tragedy :(

joined Jun 12, 2015

Please say there is no time skip or tragedy :(

I won't spoil anything!

joined Jan 8, 2014

Ch4 kinda felt like a cliff hanger...
I was really liking how one of the sci-dads was going on about the way she indexed her memory...only cause to see a human nature like that explained in ai was weird and interesting...
I wonder Praha will ever be able to communicate how important Chika is to her... not just returning a gift

last edited at Jul 13, 2015 4:23AM

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

There are more manga like this one‽ If you don't mind, what are they called?

There is Linkage, which has a similar setting with a more involved onee-san scientist and it isn't so focused on A.I. Sadly, it's only a one-shot.

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/linkage

I won't spoil anything!

Thank you. Still, you could use spoiler tags.

last edited at Jul 13, 2015 4:27AM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

There are more manga like this one‽ If you don't mind, what are they called?

There is Linkage, which has a similar setting with a more involved onee-san scientist and it isn't so focused on A.I. Sadly, it's only a one-shot.

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/linkage

I won't spoil anything!

Thank you. Still, you could use spoiler tags.

Oh yeah. I read that a while ago. It was good.

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

3 chapter updates??? IS IT CHRISTMAS?
And oh noooo the angst is coming :(

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

my heart's gonna break, honestly there should be more AI/cyborgs in yuri... if only to hurt me emotionally... I'm so in love with this series

Kikyou%20x%20kana
joined Oct 31, 2013

I wanna cry too.

Seolaposescolor2
joined Nov 9, 2014

Totally made my heart sink.. but it a good way? Really enjoying this manga.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Human/robot love stories are bound to end bittersweet at best.

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

I love how this isn't just about yuri and AIs falling in love, but they also explain the mechanics behind Praha. It gives the story more depth and makes it more interesting.

18160285_1855872217963427_5205910394689814528_a
joined Aug 31, 2014

I have a feeling that this is gonna make me cry someday

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I like that the way AI is working is realistic. It shows how complex humans feelings and emotions are and how computer has problems with decoding and understanding it all. I really feel sad for Chiaki, because not only her love has no future, but even if they don't do now, there is always risk of scientist deleting or reseting some "errors" in Hiro's program. After all, it's not like they want to make Hiro a real person, who can life and have friends (lover), but creating a perfect AI. Hiro is still just their program in middle of tasting. I feel like there will be a big drama when they decided to change some stuff in Hiro and then Chiaki will realize that "it's not the same Hiro".

last edited at Jul 13, 2015 11:16AM

Tumblr_inline_o0jzypbfvb1tn11th_540_1452229079373
joined Jun 5, 2015

Well, basically yes. But the same is true for our biological brains. It's just that the delete function has other triggers, e.g. Alzheimer's disease or injuries.

I'm really looking forward to see where this goes. I don't think the way Hiro works and perceives the world is much different to how humans work, it's just that her programming is less complete and she has more adapting to do. She doesn't look like a philosophical zombie to me.

but, but, we can restore memories for Alzheimer.. And what if it doesn't work on Hiro-chan.. -thinking a lot of alter story where this story will end- huhuhuuu...

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

but, but, we can restore memories for Alzheimer..

In mice.

75% of the time.

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

Don't you dare doing a huge time skip Nishi. Just give them a happy ending and walk toward the sun or something...

There are already enough yuri drama about love is separated by human life span. In Alice x Marisa doujins. Let's go with a happy ending, will you Nishi?

last edited at Jul 13, 2015 12:32PM

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

I wonder Praha will ever be able to communicate how important Chika is to her... not just returning a gift

Let's say that her just returning a gift because it's a social norm and 'what you do' wouldn't actually have anything to do with caring for other people. If you only do something because it is a law or a custom, you disregard your own wishes and the wishes of the people affected by your action. All of that you take out of the equation. This would be just going through the motions, maybe befitting of a robot although it surfaces in a lot of what people do every day.

Suppose Hiro does it to actually reciprocate (she did receive a kiss - but on the lips. How could she get this important detail wrong?), then this has to do with one of the principles of a good relationships or ethics: reciprocity or, simple put, fairness. You know, tit for tat; you do it so you don't get into trouble, because you don't wan't to be disrespectful, because they would be sad if you didn't and, of course, because most of the time they'll be overjoyed because of the present and, maybe much more so, by knowing that you actually care enough about them to treat them fairly. This is why we usually don't fuck people over.

When Hiro gave the ribbons to Chika in chapter two, it wasn't to reciprocate as it wasn't a return present but because she was 'sure Chika-chan wanted this ribbon'. I can't certainly speak for everybody, but I give presents because I like it when it makes the people I give them to happy. And I like that because of empathy, the second principle of ethics: I'm able to share in other people's feelings. We don't know if that was the reason Hiro did it, but it could be the reason.

We are empathic beings and love because out ancestors lived in environments that weeded out the individuals who weren't and who couldn't. This is our programming and hard-coded into us by mirror neurons, which make us feel what other beings feel, be it pleasure or pain. Most of this works by interpreting facial expressions. Hiro's ability doesn't have the same origin, but that shouldn't matter. Why we have to do it doesn't matter, neither we nor Hiro can change our innate programming. We are capable of wanting to be with specific people and to make sure they are happy and maybe this is a sufficient paraphrase of the concept of loving someone. Should Hiro ever change her priorities to 'Be with Hiro and make sure she is happy', you wouldn't be able to tell her love from the love a living person experiences and displays. Judging from the fact that everything Chika is important to Hiro, it would be safe to say that Hiro actually cares for her and her well-being is connected to Hiro's own Grals and whatever results from the discrepancy of those and reality, which wie could call emotions. The fact that Hiro's love is programmed shouldn't necessarily make it worse than what is run on our meaty hardware.

Maybe one could say that something like a 'soul' was missing and required for Hiro to be a real person and for her love to be real. This is the actual point of contention, which can't really be resolved because we wouldn't know if there is no soul and that is why the soul is usually often dismissed. Leaving the concepts of materialism, dualism and idealism aside, you should probably ask whether or not Hiro is aware of her existence. Although that is a really good question as far as real AI is concerned, given the fact that Hiro provides commentary in this story, she is necessarily a conscious being and any affection she feels is real to her and deserves moral consideration. Let's see if it's going to be sisterly, parental or romantic love.

tl;dr
Longwinded ramblings about the origins of empathy and what it could be to robots

last edited at Jul 13, 2015 1:35PM

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

There are already enough yuri drama about love is separated by human life span. In Alice x Marisa doujins. Let's go with a happy ending, will you Nishi?

I'm sorry if it's because of Alzheimer's, but aren't you forgetting about the pain that is Mokou x Keine and Sakuya x Remilia?
T_T

last edited at Jul 13, 2015 1:35PM

joined Apr 21, 2014

Mokou x Keine Sakuya x Remilia

Ugh, stab me in the heart why don't you T_T

At least Sakuya could become a vampire

10421609_736454176404511_930283773208011502_n
joined Jul 14, 2012

it's the cutest thing ive seen on this site and has a very big potential to wreck my body and soul and make me into gross sobing mush. perfect

Prprcharlotte_8
joined Apr 1, 2013

That's probably my favourite thing to read right now.
I love the mc, the love interest, the plot and even the way they explain how Praha understand every little thing...
I hope this won't stop and that we don't get a too sad ending (with little hope but still...)

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

When I started reading this story, I was half expecting another shallow tale of "robot falls in love and lab deems it defective." Quite glad to have been proven wrong. This is a tale of complex emotions and psychology, and I could see it going just about any which way. It's turning out to be a refreshingly original journey.

Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to more.

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

i so hope this has a happy ending, and i really want to see hiro evolve more.

To reply you must either login or sign up.