Forum › Fluttering Feelings [SPOILER THREAD]

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Nice job with the typeset takachi, thanks! On a semi-related note, I feel like I haven't seen anonymous around lately. Miss their puns :(

Also, super belated, but @ffins07, the categories listed in FF's comico header are actually: drama, serialized, slice-of-life, Korean, romance. I agree with a lot of what you said though.

Nevri: Unless there are no chapters left for that.

I agree, that would be a bummer. But can we wait for it to actually happen before complaining?

last edited at Mar 13, 2016 9:50PM

No2
joined Jan 18, 2016

Did you see that?
asd,masnb.dkjbhas.kedhasñodli{djwdñlwiuashñkdlna

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

@cipp posted:

Nice job with the typeset takachi, thanks! On a semi-related note, I feel like I haven't seen anonymous around lately. Miss their puns :(

Also, super belated, but @ffins07, the categories listed in FF's comico header are actually: drama, serialized, slice-of-life, Korean, romance. I agree with a lot of what you said though.

Nevri: Unless there are no chapters left for that.

I agree, that would be a bummer. But can we wait for it to actually happen before complaining?

Oh, "slice-of-life". Well...

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you for pointing that out @cipp.

Okay. ...Then, hmmm. Well, I've certainly read slice-of-life series slower than this. And a number of the ones I've read (and I've probably watched more slice-of-life anime than read them) they tend to have a snap-shot quality, as in episodes being loosely related. There's a general sense of progression and well fleshed characters (in the good ones).

That actually makes this even more interesting to me. A romance slice-of-life with an imbalanced relationship. ...Yeah, that's tough.

kk. Back to other people's thoughts.

re Seol-a encountered Sung-pyo: My interpretation of Seol-a's gaze thus far is that she's cautiously curious. She's at risk of "invading No-rae's personal life without her permission". I think that it is in part because of Seol-a's confidence that she's not particularly uncomfortable. It's more like she's respectfully treading a boundary, imo. Given that--if she's actually the more comfortable/confident one of the two (Seol-a and Sung-pyo) once they're in an enclosed space, Sung-pyo might be the one to break the ice.

This is like real life. I can't predict it. (That would be boring.) Sung-pyo might feel more confident by societal assumption (he's the guy and past lover) or it might be Seol-a, who's just generally confident.

Hah! I'd love (just for my own personal amusement) to have No-rae wake up, hung over, with both of them there and have the sweat drop. Good job, No-rae. |;p

Also, although I think it's okay Seol-a couldn't remember his name, it's really like she doesn't remember who this is. I find that kind of odd... Urgh! I kind of want to see Seol-a and Sung-pyo interact, but that would mean delaying No-rae POV. The more I think about it, the more frustratingly pointless it seems to do so. The end is showing they're silent. Strangers to one another. Yet they have a significant connection. Talk about a pregnant pause (or elipsis in this case).

I should probably just drop off 'til next Sunday. I'm going to bed. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

last edited at Mar 13, 2016 10:35PM

Small
joined Feb 14, 2016

I kinda have mixed feelings about this chapter actually. I liked the first part, but that ending though. Rant: Sungpyo has got the worst timing ever. He like cockblocked not once, not twice but three times! I wonder who didn't get pissed off at that. I'd rather I have a chapter full of him and Norae clearing and straightening things out than having poor Seola seeing them together every time she and Norae get their chance on their own. But I guess that's the author's point. For them to build up their frustrated feelings until they explode. End rant.

On the other hand, Norae getting wasted seems kinda fishy to me. Sorry I get kinda delusional with Norae since we rarely see her thoughts. But then again, the way I see it and also the way their drinking buddies see it too, Norae is being too "openly flirty" with Seola that they can't help but be grossed out. Seola's even asking if she's being serious or not. Which is kinda like Norae since she likes hiding under her "innocent" facade. Norae might be tipsy but I think she's saying it consciously under the guise of being drunk. Because well, she can still tell that she's gets drunk easily with soju so yeah.

I think Norae went on this drinking spree so she can relieve some stress because she doesn't say what she feels. When Norae realized she's in love with Seola, she ran away. But then Seola chased her down, and she resigned herself to stay as friends because she also doesn't want to lose her anyway.

But then she doubts about what will happen if her desires grow (I dunno what chapter). And what I see in the recent chapters is not only Seola frustration but also Norae's frustration and her growing desire for Seola that resulted in that almost kiss, and I think she kinda snapped back then. I mean, after Seola realized her feelings, she's been too forward to Norae, and probably Norae's being a little too uncomfortable by their closeness (by that, I mean she might jump on Seola any minute). Like there's so many openings for her to do Seola (eg. sleeping together after the movie, snow incident, almost kiss, all those hand holding and stuff), I think she needs to release it or else she really can't contain herself. Her walls are cracked and she knows it.

So in a way, Norae getting drunk, she can say whatever is on her mind but nobody will take her seriously because she's "drunk". And then we see what happens when she finally gets like REAL drunk. I think she kissed her neck or something. I mean she was staring at Seola's lips before she leaned on lol.

PS. I'm not sure how girlxgirl romance relationships go but personally, as a girl myself with my girl friends, you can get as close as Norae and Seola (except the almost kiss) and still be friends and nothing more. There's nothing unusual with holding hands, linking arms, and hugging and sometimes even kissing (altho I don't really do that much lol).

PPS. @cipp thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering about the use of suffixes in FF since kdramas have that too.

last edited at Mar 13, 2016 10:42PM

joined Mar 13, 2016

To address a couple things about my negative comment:

My issue is not with the pacing! Somehow calling the problem "bad pacing" makes it seem like the issue is that not enough stuff is happening or that that the series lingers too long on any scene. But I think everyone who reads the series weekly and comes back here to discuss it knows that some stuff is happening in each chapter and it never seems like the narrative gets bogged down in the minutiae of some scene. Where things do become flawed is when you look at the narrative momentum of the series. It's about the dramatic high-points where tension rises and it seems like something significant is about to happen - but then the series cuts away to a future point in the timeline and saps the narrative momentum of all its energy.

Nya-chan mentioned the bus-accident and someone rightly pointed out that this was the moment of Seola realizing how she has feelings for Norae. Sure, you could argue that the character-development because of that event could’ve been bigger but it’s fine if the series wants to develop things more gradually with little things (while using RARE big events as a catalysts for change). At that point you clearly could make an argument for that it’s all really just about whether you are a fan of the pacing or not. But the direction of the narrative was that now Seola would try to get closer to Norae in an effort to confess her love at some point. And she was determined about that.

What is different about the ski-resort-arc is how cutting off the narrative momentum isn’t just about slowing down the portrayal of the consequences of a big moment here and there. In that arc disrupting the momentum became a weekly ritual made all the more egregious because of how BIG those moments were. The events never seemed as connected as they should’ve been and the character-interactions aimed for BIG moments instead of portraying natural, down-to-earth reactions to the events.

And that brings me to something ffins07 said: This idea of FF trying to be slice-of-life. FF is a romance-series. What matters and what we focus on each week is the “development” of the romance between Seola and Norae. That’s what each chapter comes back to in terms of story, no matter what happens in the plot. And it being more slice-of-life-y wouldn’t be a problem at all if the series would be willing to discard its need for romance to focus on secondary plot-lines. Like this moment recently where Norae’s graduation-problems were covered. The story hasn’t established any stakes for why we as readers should fear she isn’t graduating properly. This secondary detail was introduced with a “Shit happens!”-attitude and a shrug played up for comedy. If this were indeed a true slice-of-life-series, Norae having troubles with her grades should’ve been a consistent plotline. Sure, we got hints here and there in the past that she wasn’t doing so well but you wouldn’t look at any of that saying “Oh, what’s happening here…?” (presuming you care about the character). If this series wants to show good slice-of-life it has to be willing to occasionally drop its romantic focus and dwell on the mundane details of various characters’ lives. And that means less of the overly dramatic, romantic stuff. I just come back to the ski-resort-arc again: A luxurious part-time-job that led to a holiday at a ski-resort at which coincidentally Norae’s ex-boyfriend stayed at the same time which led to Seola breaking down in tears, having an accident and a nearly-kissing-moment between Norae and Seola. That isn’t slice-of-life-writing exactly…

At the same time, considering what is discussed each week here, would anyone even be satisfied with a chapter that solely focuses on the lives of the characters instead of showing romantic moments between Norae and Seola? That’s what slice-of-life really means, though! Life isn’t all about the development of a loving relationship (except in, well, romance-stories, of course)! Right now it seems like FF is a romance story where slice-of-life-elements occasionally pop up as secondary concerns but I wouldn’t classify the series as a slice-of-life-series at all.

Also, my issue isn’t that I want to see Seola and Norae together as soon as possible. Someone mentioned the conservative values of Korean society and that maybe those would complicate matters. Maybe coming out as gay/bisexual is difficult in Korea. But it’s so presumptive to just let them hesitate because it would be difficult. Where’s the storytelling in that? The story can be as much about what Norae doesn’t do as it is already about what Seola fails to do. Right now it feels like Seola is already at the finish-line – but she can only cross it together with Nora. And Norae is far behind just doing nothing. It’s fine to put these two into that position but if that’s the case make that the story! Why are they in this position?! And this isn’t a series bound to one POV, so there’s no excuse for ignoring characters. Why is Norae in this position? The series still hasn’t offered any sort of answer for that. There are even easy parallels to draw that she’s exactly as much falling behind in terms of study as she’s falling behind in terms of romance. Her educational setback is equal to her romantic setback and now she has some catching up to do on both terms to start a good relationship with Seola (I mean, this COULD be the story, right?). And Norae clearly is a character who hides a lot of what she’s thinking. We’ve got hints here and there of how she only acts obliviously but right now we can only assume what she’s thinking and what her goals/doubts are. But that’s the problem with the lack of a much-needed Norae-POV: You project more onto Norae than you identify with right now. She’s more mysterious than compelling in how little the series actually lets us understand her motivations.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Like your post Knightingale

joined Mar 13, 2016

Years ago, i fall in love with my roommate. Even though she obviously make a move on me, like always insist to sleep together on my bunker bed, kiss my face everyday, show jealousy toward my friends and being super clingy, I still couldnt bring myself to believe that she liked me back.

I keep think maybe that just the way she treat her close friend. After all, i know she have many ex-bf and guys can never leave her alone. More over i am an Asian. In my country -Indonesia- this feeling is a sin, even now in 2016 its considered as an infectious disease. I dont know how western people deal with homosexual feeling, but in Asia -till nowdays- its not something easy to accept.

Av
joined Feb 6, 2015

The last 2 chapters was really good! Feels like we are really getting close to those 2 being a couple. I really really hope that Ssamba would continue where she left off and wont start something random again lol.

Rsz_17544039_p0
joined Jul 19, 2014

Years ago, i fall in love with my roommate. Even though she obviously make a move on me, like always insist to sleep together on my bunker bed, kiss my face everyday, show jealousy toward my friends and being super clingy, I still couldnt bring myself to believe that she liked me back.

I keep think maybe that just the way she treat her close friend. After all, i know she have many ex-bf and guys can never leave her alone. More over i am an Asian. In my country -Indonesia- this feeling is a sin, even now in 2016 its considered as an infectious disease. I dont know how western people deal with homosexual feeling, but in Asia -till nowdays- its not something easy to accept.

Honestly, I thought it was a wise decision to not pursue her. Female friends can get overly clingy, and that always makes us confused about their intentions, whether they're super friendly or they're giving us the green light. But, in our country, you've got to thread carefully. NEVER EVER reveal to someone that you're gay unless you're 10000% they're LGBT themselves. Once you're exposed to the public that you're gay, all hell goes loose. You're finished. Seriously. This is a very hypocritical and muslim-dominated country, therefore it's only logical that the majority will push for Muslim beliefs, namely the prohibition of LGBT acts. I'm not Muslim myself, so I cannot tell you whether it was actually written in the AlQuran or not. Also, now that the election of political parties are nearing, some of the candidates have begun speaking about how Anti-LGBT they are. Then, it sparked and everyone began discussing about LGBT and their rights. Good right? Except, I don't know if it was bad timing or sth, but around the time when lots of articles about LGBT began popping up, cases like Jessica & Mirna (alleged lesbian relationship gone wrong), Saipul (Singer turned gay pedophile), and Bekti (TV Host turned gay sex offender) were the spotlight of the media. Now, LGBT are linked with psychopaths, and pedophiles in public eye. Now, politicians begin to be more strong opinionated about being Anti-Gay. In US, being LGBT friendly is how you get votes, but here, it's completely the opposite. What I'm saying is that different countries are different in many ways, whether it's the government, culture, the people, and the laws. You and I are in a homophobic country, that's why we mustn't be so brash about our sexuality. Always try to hide it and never expose yourself

joined Mar 14, 2016

The story can be as much about what Norae doesn’t do as it is already about what Seola fails to do. Right now it feels like Seola is already at the finish-line – but she can only cross it together with Nora. And Norae is far behind just doing nothing.

I must be the only person who thinks Norae is actually trying to move the relationship forward, or at least feels more confidant about it, but that Seola is skittish and easily overwhelmed by this thing between them that she constantly runs away from it.

To give examples, when their kiss a few chapters back was interrupted and Norae (off-handedly) invited her back home with her, Seola said yes and then ran off to bed, blushing deeply. And then when Norae was playing the guitar and Seola grabbed her hand, yes, Norae was being oblivious but it was Seola who cut things off abruptly by leaving the room. And now a drunk Norae breathes on her neck and Seola practically throws her off - NOT because Norae is drunk (which means she didn't actually initiate anything), but because, in Seola's own words, it was unexpected. It caught her off-guard and made her retreat.

I really do enjoy seeing Seola so unraveled by Norae, since she's usually so assured and confident when she approaches romantic relationships, but while she's more reactive and blushes a lot more easily, she's also been cockblocking herself in a lot of instances. If she held her ground during any one of these times, I think Norae would have met her halfway (case in point: the hand-holding scenes, that time Seola slept on Norae's shoulder and she let her).

Anyway! Fluttering Feelings is the third yuri (or something close to it) that I've ever read and I'm seriously enjoying the heck out of it, frustration and all. I think it would've lost its appeal a long time ago if it gave the fans exactly what they want out of it. Instead, the tension builds with each chapter and Sundays have become my favorite day of the week because of this.

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

My power went out today (still is I only have my phone at a weak 37%) and I had been out and about and only just now have had a chance to read this latest chapter finally.

Norae was cute even drunk ahh.. this series is such a tease where I just want to get to Sunday again already..

joined Mar 13, 2016

I must be the only person who thinks Norae is actually trying to move the relationship forward, or at least feels more confidant about it, but that Seola is skittish and easily overwhelmed by this thing between them that she constantly runs away from it.
To give examples, when their kiss a few chapters back was interrupted and Norae (off-handedly) invited her back home with her, Seola said yes and then ran off to bed, blushing deeply. And then when Norae was playing the guitar and Seola grabbed her hand, yes, Norae was being oblivious but it was Seola who cut things off abruptly by leaving the room. And now a drunk Norae breathes on her neck and Seola practically throws her off - NOT because Norae is drunk (which means she didn't actually initiate anything), but because, in Seola's own words, it was unexpected. It caught her off-guard and made her retreat.
I really do enjoy seeing Seola so unraveled by Norae, since she's usually so assured and confident when she approaches romantic relationships, but while she's more reactive and blushes a lot more easily, she's also been cockblocking herself in a lot of instances. If she held her ground during any one of these times, I think Norae would have met her halfway (case in point: the hand-holding scenes, that time Seola slept on Norae's shoulder and she let her)

See, this would be a great plottwist for example! After we've all seen Seola's struggling, we switch to Norae's POV and find out she has been trying to convey her feelings to Seola as well (in her own flawed way). And actually it's BOTH of them failing to make this relationship happen. After it's been established that both are playing certain roles that fail to make the relationship happen, it's far more exciting to have a moment such in this chapter where the roles are switched and Norae is the aggressive one while Seola kinda pretends to be oblivious to her advances.

But again, it's all based on an assumption about Norae. As readers we still don't KNOW what she's thinking. So, instead, the moment in the latest chapter is still ambiguously mysterious as everything is concerned with Norae these days.

joined Feb 19, 2016

Win168 posted :

Oh hey another Indo! First of all welcome to the thread and Dynasty Scans!

Secondly, yea it sucks here, have you watched the Indonesia Lawyers Club "LGBT Marak"? They agreed on not discriminating but not accepting it as well like ???.

Sorry to hear your situation, sounds not so fun

(Sorry for the of-topic post)

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

When you can't make head or tail, or have to build a fantasy, about what the characters think or why they act the way they do and about where the story is headed, it's not a question of taste, it's just bad writing. Only the characters save this in my eyes.

Even pro mangaka do bad writing sometimes. I'm not casting stones at Ssamba, as I can't write or draw for the life of me, but as a reader of thousands of stories, I can tell she lacks experience and would have needed an editor to help her straighten her storytelling. That's my honest opinion.

If she ever writes something else I hope she will improve.

last edited at Mar 14, 2016 3:03AM

Head_mini
joined Aug 9, 2013

Typeset's are up in the gallery.
Takachi's version: http://imgur.com/a/b7OFh
Xann's version: http://imgur.com/a/hI7aT

last edited at Mar 15, 2016 4:01AM

No-rae
joined Feb 4, 2015

When you can't make head or tail, or have to build a fantasy, about what the characters think or why they act the way they do and about where the story is headed, it's not a question of taste, it's just bad writing. Only the characters save this in my eyes.

Even pro mangaka do bad writing sometimes. I'm not casting stones at Ssamba, as I can't write or draw for the life of me, but as a reader of thousands of stories, I can tell she lacks experience and would have needed an editor to help her straighten her storytelling. That's my honest opinion.

When there aren't discussions about what the characters think or why they act the way they do and about where the story is heading, that's actually worst. It means there's isn't interest in the story. 'Building fantasies' or how I'd call it, sharing theories keeps a story and the group of people interested in it, alive. That the fun part.

FF has it's bad moments, definitely, but I wouldn't say the plot is badly written. And I do think this is a matter of opinion, you've been saying FF has bad writing for a while anyway.

Like you mentioned before, the characters are the best part of FF. To me, No-Rae and Seol-A are part of the best characters in a yuri story, manga or anime. That fact alone is enough for FF to not be badly written, imho. Unless ssamba suddenly kills one of them, or something.

FF could be better, yes, it has lost good opportunities, yes (I've complained about the story sometimes) but it's a good manhwa, a manhwa that makes people share long posts about what they like, about what they hate, rant, praise. There's a lot of interest in the story that doesn't even have a single kiss yet, haha that says a lot.

Of course I agree that if ssamba keeps running in circles for 10 or more chapters I'm going to change my mind, but for now, everything could be better, but is good enough for me.

last edited at Mar 14, 2016 3:55AM

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Nya-chan, you sadden me, your trolling became repetitive and all over the place. I can tell you lack experience and need a girlfriend to help you straighten... censored. That's my honest opinion. I hope you will improve.

joined Feb 1, 2016

Let's just wait till the ending and then we can judge. You've mentioned that you're a reader of thousands of stories right? Then you should know already that many stories may even surprise you in the end, and it's not always predictable. Sometimes the author's true motives only becomes obvious with the ending. So please don't judge so hastily just yet, especially when Ssamba still hasnt had the chance to end the story herself.

Its good to provide constructive criticism, however, don't forget to also appreciate that Ssamba is trying really hard each week to write us a lovely lgbt story that doesnt have sex as its main focus.

If you look for faults, you will always find them.

last edited at Mar 14, 2016 4:29AM

I_whosonline
joined Oct 18, 2015

I won't say anything about it. Just keep waiting and waiting and.....until the right moment comes.

joined Dec 26, 2015

I don't think people understand how brilliantly FF is written in comparison with other romance stories within Korea, yeah it has it's moments where it can do better but it will still run circles around most love stories Asian media produces. People who've read "a thousand stories" should know that the "will they or won't they" trope is Korea's kryptonite. Ssamba is actually better than most rookie writers out there. When you guys signed up for FF, you do realise you signed up to a massive slow-burn story right? You realise that there will be a lot of waffling around and gradual build up before the payoff happens right?
I'm confident that ssamba will tie it all up together in the end, she's invested so much time in building No-rae and Seol-a's relationship that if she somehow implodes, then you can say "I told you so". But, I know you won't ever get to say it.¯_(ツ)_/¯

Girl%20with%20a%20black%20cat%20avatar
joined Dec 27, 2015

madlax232 said,
"When there aren't discussions about what the characters think or why they act the way they do and about where the story is heading, that's actually worst. It means there's isn't interest in the story. 'Building fantasies' or how I'd call it, sharing theories keeps a story and the group of people interested in it, alive. That the fun part."
Agreed!
How many post is this? You can look all thru Dynasty and find series that generate what? Two or three post. This IS a good barometer of how well the author has created interest in the story. And Ssamba has done a good job of pulling in a large diverse audience.

Nya-chan said,
"When you can't make head or tail, or have to build a fantasy, about what the characters think or why they act the way they do and about where the story is headed, it's not a question of taste, it's just bad writing. Only the characters save this in my eyes."

I guess that's one way to look at it.But as you said Ssamba has created interesting characters. The audience cares about them, they pull you into their emotions and thoughts, you feel their pain with each failure and smile at each silly mistake, and rejoice in each small success. That IS good storytelling! Look how often we all show up each week for each new chapter, we, you, us. It's not perfect. But it is interesting.

kimchikid said,
"Let's just wait till the ending and then we can judge."
Agreed.
Sometimes when you see a story thru to its end, you look back and see if all the twist and turns succeeded in creating drama, or were just unnecessary appendages that only cluttered the story. I am enjoying the journey, and will wait till the end to cast judgement. It's been a fun ride so far.

last edited at Mar 14, 2016 5:39AM

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

@kimchikid
Wow. We literally had the same thoughts, I'm with you every word. I think we could only judge when we know the author's true motive. And FF is still a work in progress, it's saddening to see many readers hastily made their judgement already. Once we judge something, our mind will only find clues to reinforce it and it's hard to see otherwise.
Ssamba's been working so hard to give us this story every week, even when her health was bad. I just wish people could give the author the benefit of the doubt until it's actually finished.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

At about 70% of the story, I don't think I'm hasty. And if FF generates so much comments here, it's because while the characterization is good, the way their story is told gives a lot of frustration. It's nice for a moment and you anticipate impatiently the next strip, but after a while it has the opposite effect and you dread the next cockblock.

Maybe it's something cultural to Korea and this story is tailored to a Korean audience who likes to be blueballed.

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

I think FF is pretty good, it's realistic to keep going around in circles when your relationship with your friend suddenly becomes kind of romantic. I don't think it's bad writing. After all we aren't repeating the same patterns. First we were focusing on No-rae and now on Seol-a... basically it feels like a second arc or something because now the protagonist seems to be Seol-a and we are looking at the story through her.
Aaaand yeah um, that escalated quickly XD, neck nibbling already ahahahah

joined Aug 18, 2015

I like FF a lot but I don't expect others to like the series the same way that I do. We all have different likes/tastes bc of our culture/background/experience. Bc of my experience, I have no issue with the pacing of this story or how the story is being written. ofc there a few things that I don't like but they are insignificant. It is quite rude n unfair to criticize the author's writing skills bc u disagree with the author's style of writing, especially when ignoring culture environment/background factors influencing the author's writing. It is perfectly fine u dont like Ssamba's writing style but insulting their writing skills is just uncalled for.

To reply you must either login or sign up.