Forum › Posts by cipp

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Hey all. Good to see this thread isn't completely dead :)

I've been reading a bunch of series to try and pass the time while FF is on hiatus... browsed the entire Dynasty directory once, then relaxed my filters (i.e. I usually nope out immediately if I see moe art, generally don't bother with high school stories, etc.) and went through it again...

It's mostly been an exercise in discovering all my storytelling pet peeves lol. And also in being weirded out a lot... but I did end up finding a few stories I liked. Nothing that quite hits the same spot as FF though :(

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

MacySan: Anyone knows what exactly Ssamba has? it's been more than a month, so it seems serious :/

I think the only info we have is from the first hiatus notice when ssamba mentioned "위장병" / gastrointestinal disorder, but it's a pretty general term... could mean anything from stomach flu to stomach cancer :L

HypocriticalLiar: Or worse, stop coming back after x weeks, months, years AND THEN THERE EVENTUALLY IS AN UPDATE AND YOU NEVER KNOW.

That doesn't sound too bad actually, haha. Just forget about FF for a while for some peace of mind, then randomly remember it one day and go check on it, only to discover that there's a bunch of new chapters to catch up on! Awesome! And a lot less stressful than following it update-to-update. I wish I could do this...

last edited at May 8, 2016 9:02PM

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Have you guys all seen this fanvid? (from the FF fanworks thread a few months ago) If FF was animated I could see this being the opening/title sequence. The tone is the complete opposite of the comico video though haha.

Kisa: It's weird though, the voices never quite match the ones in my imagination. It's always like that when I read something first, then watch it in film. The voices don't always match what I thought they sounded like.

Same here! Well actually, it's more like I don't usually think about what a character sounds like but 99% of the time my instant reaction upon hearing it is "nope, don't know what I was imagining but it sure wasn't that!" Then either I slowly get used to it or it ends up being a dealbreaker. For the comico video, I'm on the fence about Seol-a's voice but No-rae's is really not working for me... the animation is awesome though, it's really cool how they worked off of ssamba's original lineart.

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

The comico notice didn't really contain much new information but I think there were so many people complaining in the comments of the previous hiatus notice that the management felt compelled to make another post explaining things further. Sigh... fan entitlement is *Jean Ralphio voice* the woooooooooorst

I wish there was a way to show ssamba our support, I was contemplating sending a link to the fanart thread but that's probably a really bad idea since 1) there's a bunch of NSFW stuff in there and 2) what if they decide to look around the rest of the site... yeah, nope.

Anyways, I hope ssamba rests up and can make a full recovery, without feeling pressure to get back to work on FF. And ffins07 I hope you get better soon too! (and that things become less stressful) Having the flu sucks big time, take care of yourself, stay hydrated...

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Hm, Nezchan, I actually agree about tweaking the rule wording. The current wording seems clear enough to me, but as UANAJC said, not everyone is a native English speaker. But also... people can be hella pedantic :P It might make your job easier if you left as little grey area as possible. Some of the other rules do benefit from having a little flexibility/room for mod discretion but for this one, I can't see a downside to making such a change.

@NamelessPresence, I strongly disagree that this site/people translating series is no different from sites like Mangafox. It's not just about affordability, a lot of of the content on here isn't mainstream enough to ever get an official English translation and release. Without the work of translators, said content would likely never be accessible to people outside the countries of origin.

There's also the fact that all this work is done for free and translators make no profit off of it. Meanwhile, sites like Mangafox are businesses that DO profit through site traffic/ads, and steal the work of translators without even giving credit.

As for the imgur links posted in the FF thread, I personally think that's acceptable as FF is free to read on the comico site anyways. Though people have made efforts to support the author by enabling reading directly on comico through overtooning. The situation is different for WDFTS, which is behind a paywall on Lezhin. I don't really check the WDTFS thread much but as far as I'm aware, no one posts imgur links there. And translators like halmoni do their best to make sure that people support the authors by only sharing translations with people who have purchased the raws.

Anyways, getting back on-topic (ish)...

ann, I was going to say, you can't just mention that you did FF calligraphy and NOT post a photo of it! I wanna see lol. Unless you're waiting to hone your skills first, which I totally get.

last edited at Apr 10, 2016 9:54PM

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Oh, well this is a first (I think). In the place where ssamba's author note usually is, there is a message from a Comico staff/manager person (rough translation):

Currently, we judged that continuing normal serial publication would be impossible/too much to handle for the author's health. For the time being, we decided to give them a rest/break. We wish for their recovery and ask the readers for their support.

Hope it's not too serious and ssamba is able to take their time to recover fully. Like jmv said, health is the #1 priority. I feel like a lot of comic creators don't take good care of themselves/develop health issues... serialization sure sounds stressful.

I also hope this thread doesn't become totally dead like the past 2 weeks though, if other people make some fanworks maybe I'll also dust off my sketchbook and crank out some more silly comics... :)

last edited at Apr 10, 2016 11:07AM

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Really rough translation:

Hello, this is ssamba.
My current health is poor so unavoidably, it's been decided to take an extended hiatus.
I'm very sorry to the readers who were waiting.
There was no choice but to do so, so please, I ask for your understanding.
I am always truly grateful to and love the readers who cherish Fluttering Feelings.
I will return soon in good health.

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Yup, long-term hiatus for health reasons. Ssamba must be pretty sick :(

last edited at Apr 10, 2016 10:09AM

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

hiatus extension, i think... :( am trying to decipher it rn

last edited at Apr 10, 2016 10:02AM

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

On comico people are commenting on last week's hiatus notice... stuff like "I want to read the chapter and go to sleep," "come on," "hee hee it's about to be uploaded" haha

Edit: oh now I'm seeing the server error too. Katy Perry's Last Friday Night starts playing in my head but replace TGIF with DDOS

ann: And no, but almost as ancient. Calligraphy! :D

Oh, that's awesome! What language?

last edited at Apr 10, 2016 9:56AM

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Got up a little too early, bleh...

ann: I actually took up a new hobby to fill up the empty spaces in my heart hahaha.

What hobby? ...crochet? :D

I went looking for other series to read, ended up mainlining ShootAround which has A+ art/humor/characters and also some cute f/f storylines. But the f/f is kind of dilute because it's embedded in a zombie apocalypse story lol. So yeah, glad FF is (hopefully) back this week.

last edited at Apr 10, 2016 8:57AM

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

I'm excited! The absence makes it so that as long as we see both No-rae and Seol-a I don't have any further hopes.

Oooo you jinxed it, now the next chapter will be Sung-pyo POV...

... just kidding :) I'm excited too! Time to come out of hibernation...

cipp
Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

The last time I checked the FF tumblr tag it was chock full of clickbait spam so I missed most of these, thanks for uploading them anon!

It feels like there's more comics coming out these days and that makes me happy :D Seol-a psyching herself up in TBees' comic is so cute. And that last bonus comic from munadoodlesnonsense is something after my own heart... mechanical pencil innuendo = genius lol.

cipp
Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Or Aoi.

HA. Same!

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Alextasha: And remember guys that this topic isn't about "what yuri manga you also read" ;) I think there was topic like that on forum

Hm, it must be buried because I don't see that topic even going a few pages back. Link?

But actually, I was thinking it would be cool to more systematically gather that information, instead of a forum thread which is kind of hard/tedious to go through and read everything. Something like run a poll asking people to list their top 5 favorite series that they enjoyed/would recommend to others, then analyze/visualize the data to see if there's any correlations. At best it might help people find new series to read, kind of like a rudimentary recommendation algorithm (i.e. people who like series X tend to enjoy series Y as well), and at the very least it might reveal some interesting patterns, particularly after all those discussions about taste :P

It would only work if enough people participate though... would anyone be interested in this kind of thing? Maybe I'm nerding out too much haha.

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Here's a "gist" translation of the hiatus notice lol. See you guys in 2 weeks then. Or maybe there will be another burst of fanworks like in the last hiatus :) Hope ssamba gets better.

Hello, this is ssamba.
My stomach/GI problem grew severe so unavoidably, there will be a 2 week hiatus.
I'm really sorry to those who waited.
I will take proper care of myself so that I can return in good health.
Then, see you Monday 4/11.
Thank you.

last edited at Mar 27, 2016 10:23AM

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

muchisimas gracias for the typeset (and cool tunes) thatanon!

@Ruequi: I'll be discussing both sides in my humblest opinion and the most, nicest way I could. Lol

are you sure you chose the right avatar? or maybe your trolling is so next-level i can't detect it haha. anyways, good thoughts all around. regarding superstitions, you read ssamba's author note for this chapter right?

@Dayominator: Sung-pyo mentioning Seol-a's nails just made me roll my eyes so hard.. but I also kind of appreciated it in a tiny way because I find shorter nails more appealing on people hah...

same, i always thought seol-a's nails looked kind of scary sharp/pointy (besides being obviously unsuitable for some, uh, stuff lol)

last edited at Mar 20, 2016 7:49PM

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Yeah, my impression is that he's not the brightest guy, and so when he was trying to find an excuse to stick around a little longer he just kind of just latched on to the first thing he saw (Seol-a's nails). And inadvertently ended up insulting Seol-a lol (I really don't think it was his intention to imply she was an incompetent friend or anything).

You really stepped in it this time dude, I almost felt bad for the guy because Seol-a really went off on him lmao

last edited at Mar 20, 2016 12:41PM

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

just want to note again to take my translations with a spoonful of salt, and hold off on making any big judgments until the "official" translations come out. particularly more subtle things like tone, i might not always convey correctly (i already have trouble with that in english lol)

speaking of which, halmoni translation is now up! idk if they still check this thread but thanks as always!

http://pastebin.com/dSJwWJwz

last edited at Mar 20, 2016 11:56AM

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

gist translation! take with huge spoonful of salt! ????? indicates stuff i didn't really know!

now off to backread the two!!! new pages of posts since the chapter went up lol

SHE CUT HER NAILS

one thing to note is that seol-a is using formal speech (jondaemal) with sung-pyo the whole time. even though it doesn't show up in translation.

sp: --yeah it seemed like she was drinking too much.
hg: you know how every once in a while she goes overboard.
sp: ......
sp: yeah.. she was like that from time to time.

sp: don't worry. i'll take her home.
hg: thanks, oppa.
hg: hey seol-a. sung-pyo oppa will go with you!

s (thought): there was no need...
s: okay.

sp: ah... it's really the same as always. (smalltext: even though she moved.. (?))

s: you can go now. it's fine since i'll be here.

sp: .. but we should remove no-rae's outerwear and lay her down more comfortably...
s: i'll do it.

s: what?

sp: those nails...
sp: what if you accidentally scratch no-rae..

s: .....

s: i'm not that careless you know?!

s: here.
s: it's fine now right?
s: it's a little (bad) to be in the home of a girl who lives alone late at night like this?
s: stop making nonsense excuses and leave.

s: i'll take care of no-rae on my own.

sp: ....

sp: then.. i'll leave it to you.

s (thought): he's really a ?????? guy... (smalltext: though he's built like a mountain..)

s: ....

sp: ....

n: aigoo my head...
s: seriously who told you to drink so much?

n: ah.. you came?
s: oh boy. your voice is hoarse????

n: is this coffee? can i have a little?
s: have it all.

hg: hangover relief coffee?
s: hye-gyeong ah.

hg: seriously, drinking soju in one shot like that.. couldn't you smell it?
n: ......

n: ?
n (thought): her nails are shorter?

h: ah! did you greet sung-pyo oppa?
n: huh? what greeting?

h: oppa took you home yesterday. don't you remember?
n: did he..? but how did he know?
h: oppa also had a meeting there (at the same place as the party)

n: seol-a weren't you the one who took me home?

s: ..together.

n: ah...

h: give him a call later. his gaze at your wasted self was full of worry..
n: ...okay. i'll have to thank him later after class.

h: did it go well with sung-pyo oppa yesterday?
s: uh... well, it went okay.

h: did he go all the way to no-rae's house?
s: yeah. he piggybacked her all the way home.
h: that oppa is really considerate/attentive right?
s: yeah. i guess.
h: .....

h (thought): seems like seol-a doesn't really like sung-pyo..

s: did the phone call go well?
n: yeah. ah, thanks for yesterday.
s: it was no big deal...

n: oppa said you worked hard.
s: ..what do you mean i worked hard. he's the one who carried you all the way home.
n: mm...

s: but i could also give you a piggyback ride.
n: what?

s: really! should i do it?
n: what? that's enough;

s: why~ come here~
n: ah, why~ stop~ (small text is kkkkkk)

?: kyaa~

last edited at Mar 20, 2016 11:09AM

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

when ieeheh is here, you know it's time to kick things into gear :P

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

The fanart thread has been updated! I'm not as good at finding fanart as anon is because the only place I check is the FF Tumblr tag, but there's still quite a few new pieces. Check it out :)

@Knightingale: What I was trying to (and failed to, apparently) say is there's a difference between pointing out flaws in a series, vs. expecting the series to be something that it very much isn't then being disappointed and complaining when it inevitably doesn't meet said expectations. There's been a mix of both in this thread, and while I'm fine with the former, the latter is getting tiring. This is speaking generally though, not about your posts in particular.

FF would certainly be a better slice-of-life if the characters' lives were more interesting to talk about.

I guess we have different definitions of slice-of-life. For me it just refers to the episodic format itself, where we get snapshots of the character's lives, but different snapshots aren't necessarily connected plot-wise, and don't have to have a strong plot structure of their own (complete with some sort of climax and resolution). It has nothing to do with whether the contents of a given snapshot are romantic or what you call "secondary plot-stuff" like No-rae's school troubles etc.

Hmm, but couldn’t you actually look at these points as a description of episodic storytelling in general? Like, any secondary, romantic will-they-or-won’t-they-plot in a crime-procedural can have big romantic moments in one episode but we don’t expect this romance to get resolved in that episode or the next or change their dynamic fundamentally or have a big impact on the procedural.

I don't really watch procedurals (or much TV in general) so idk, probably? I'm a little confused about what you were trying to say here. But running with this comparison, then going back to expectations, the issue is that some people want something nice and focused like a romcom movie when FF is closer to a romantic storyline in a procedural (assuming what you said is correct).

I see it that way: The problem here is rising expectations. The bigger the romantic moment is the higher the audience’s expectations for its consequences are. Imagine the same scene with its result just being Norae blushing and trying to leave the room as fast as possible. It’s easier to imagine that moment to not have very big consequences. Sure, then some of the less satisfied readers will say “Where’s my progress?!” but if Ssamba’s style isn’t interested in creating a consequence-driven escalation and creating mounting tension (as you say, it just goes up and down) in the narrative why include such a big moment like a nearly-kissing-scene in the first place? Now some people hope something will happen in chapter 69. And I think that’s still rising expectations at work here. I think we all looked at that moment and thought: “What will happen next?”

imo the way that chapter ended didn't at all suggest a big (plot) consequence for following chapters? No-rae didn't run away but Seol-a pretty much beat her to it, with her abrupt "I'm gonna sleep" and then hiding under blankets while blushing like crazy. And No-rae's "idk what the hell came over me" made it pretty clear that the almost-kiss was for her, a reckless lapse in judgement caused by getting caught up in the moment and being slightly drunk. Definitely not something she planned to follow up on. One consequence the almost-kiss did have though was to boost the ust in the following chapters lol. But that's more of a character effect than a plot one.

Also, I think people are bringing up chapter 69 jokingly rather than actually expecting it to be more likely to contain action than any another chapter number. Plus I have no idea if 69 has the same meaning for Koreans...

So it IS inconsistent. But you’re also right in describing it as deliberate. It isn’t like any chapter has fallen apart internally because of these choices. I just wish there would be some sort of pattern to these stylistic choice besides Ssamba’s personal preference for how she wants to present a chapter.

If by "inconsistent" you mean varies from chapter to chapter, then sure, you can call it that. But it seems like what you're saying is that is just depends on what ssamba randomly feels like each week, in which case I disagree. A lot of storytelling tools are most effective when used in moderation. Like if a story has a plot twist every chapter then you'd stop taking it seriously, right? I think ssamba includes stuff like internal monologues when they're needed in the story, not just on a whim.

last edited at Mar 19, 2016 5:35PM

cipp
Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Fanart by trumpy-arts:

Fluttering Feelings has been killing me slowly. All that angst. First it was No Rae now it’s Seol-a’s turn to feel it hahaha

this one is based on that chapter where they went to he ski resort and No Rae got drunk *cue angsty seol-a*

Source:
http://trumpy-arts.tumblr.com/post/141294932455
http://40.media.tumblr.com/c1f16bba12aa42827e6323ddbdf5dc58/tumblr_o49ttjTc6u1tgigfqo1_1280.jpg

last edited at Mar 19, 2016 4:55PM

cipp
Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Fanart by mariavgsriu, what a cute style!:

flutterings feelings …. jejejeje cap 76

Solo una ronda mas…*

by me: http://mariavgsriu.deviantart.com/

* Just one more round...

Source:
http://mariavgsriu.tumblr.com/post/141148425170
http://56.media.tumblr.com/9902eacabd86ab0f5791ed78eb3fd354/tumblr_o451fyqA2z1sgzrmco1_1280.jpg

cipp