joined Jun 11, 2016

wow

that was brutal

Image_push%20(3)
joined Nov 2, 2019

This was hilarious.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

This has been the most elaborate setup to warn us against the perils of gacha.

That page 100 sure hit in the feels, a genuine connection, the first and most likely last time in this manga that two characters share such a thing. The subsequent death though, yeah that kinda does evoke the Final Destination level of comedy so it is somewhat hard to feel much when it happens. It basically just boils down to... "...oh".

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Dude, that kind of upsetted me. I saw it coming, but I hoped Natsuki's death would be a bit more special :/

If anything, it's the plain and abrupt deaths that sting the most, especially after everything else you've managed to overcome. It's like making it through a gazillion Hammer Bros. on your last life only to get done in by a Goomba.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Looking at the other accidental deaths around Tokiko, except maybe her father's, it stands to reason that Natsuki was perhaps not being honest with Tokiko here. Everyone else who was "accidented" harbored strong negative feelings towards her, was suspicious of her. Her father's wishes went against hers as well, at least in her eyes, which could count as a trigger?

last edited at Jun 13, 2022 6:57AM

AWalkingPizza
Gay
joined Jun 13, 2016

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the only yuri ish thing obviously destroyed within seconds

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

The. Fucking. GACHA! oh my god this one huuuuuuuurt. Of course they'd kick Tokiko down when the light at the end of the tunnel is just within her grasp. Woof

Images%20(2)
joined Jun 3, 2021

I wouldn't be surprised if something at this same level happen with Akira on Liar Satsuki but it would for sure destroy me

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Am I the only one who didn't think any of that Natsuki and Tokiko was meant to be yuri? I honestly think they are, were, great friends and Tokiko actually cared for her and stuff. I wonder now tho, if there's no curse but sort of a...death magnet, like, in those cartoons where people walk and have a dark rainy cloud over them? but what set it in motion? can it be stopped? does she care? do I?

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

You know, I could potentially see Natsuki surviving this, if only because this time Tokiko is actually doing something to try and save her, whereas before she has simply stood back and let it happen.

However, the author has already done a fake-out death for her once before and it could be seen as karmatic justice for Natsuki to die, as she's seemingly the only thing that Tokiko actually cares about and she murdered her father because he told her to prioritize her happiness over his own.

Well, I guess in a twisted sort of way I was right after all

joined Sep 6, 2020

I only have to words
FUCK and YOU

joined Jun 23, 2017

I feel like that’s the point though. None of the other deaths have been special so far — it’s used to show that the curse doesn’t differentiate. Tokiko doesn’t get to choose just because it was her friend; that would diminish the power of the curse and not succeed in the manga’s goal of critiquing Tokiko’s outlook on life. Also, the abruptness only makes it more impactful IMO.

Problem is that this kills all the tension out of the story. She was the last person that the MC cared about and by extension the audience. Now there is nothing, no one to root for to survive.

Nah there's only a few chapters left so there's still how Tokiko will react, the (probably) subsequent implosion which will cause the rest of the cast to die, the reveal of what's causing all the death, and what her ultimate fate is plus epilogue.

Exactly, all that is left is snuff. And while I'm sure there are some people who find that interesting, I don't.

I mean not really? I'm sure I'm not the only one invested in Tokiko and her fate or the reason for the death around her. You said that there is no tension left for the audience because there's "no one left to root to survive" but I don't think that's the only reason tension or interest could exist. Boiling it down to a single reason, especially a reason like that, seems like a really shallow way to read the series.

Tokiko on her own is not an interesting character. By her own admission she has no wants or needs. It was her interactions with the other characters that made it work. The only characters left are basically just exposition dumps.
And I would say wanting to care about characters is the least shallow way to read a series.

joined Dec 21, 2016

After 29 chapters of ridicolous deaths, it didn't really shock me and the way it was delivered was...funny.

joined Oct 22, 2020

I don't think I've ever so desperately wanted to see a next chapter

Welp.

I guess I used up my monkey's paw wish with that one

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

This might be clarified a bit more in the remaining chapters assuming they go over the origin of Tokiko's curse, but I've been wondering if Komachi from Liar Satsuki is the same as her. The student council president noted the premonitory corpses started to dramatically increase once Satsuki began preventing deaths, and Komachi's was the first.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

They could've at least given the pigeon a profile pic. :(

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

The worst part is that Tokiko tried reverting back to her standard behavior for a bit before fully breaking down.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

If someone can explain how a fire extinguisher can explode like that.

joined Jul 22, 2016

TT=TT tokiko... her expression breaks my heart...

joined May 26, 2022

The worst part is that Tokiko tried reverting back to her standard behavior for a bit before fully breaking down.

Sorry which part are you referring to

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

^
She tries smiling again and being uncaring when the woman questions her, then after the pigeon is killed all emotion drains from her face like at the start of the chapter.

last edited at Jun 13, 2022 5:25PM

Matchari2
joined Apr 17, 2022

My best guess?
Phone hits fire extinguisher handle and activated it,
Extinguisher goes off and somehow flips and hits the ceiling using propulsion magic(physics),
Breaks, and the resulting explosion both breaks that bit of the ceiling and fires it at her head, killing her.
Maybe the extinguisher breaks the ceiling causing the extinguisher to break? Who knows. It'll probably be explained next episode.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Sorry which part are you referring to

Presumedly the indifferent "shit happens" facade she usually takes. Pay attention to the eyes.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

My goodness even the pigeons are not safe!

joined Aug 29, 2019

My best guess?
Phone hits fire extinguisher handle and activated it,
Extinguisher goes off and somehow flips and hits the ceiling using propulsion magic(physics),
Breaks, and the resulting explosion both breaks that bit of the ceiling and fires it at her head, killing her.
Maybe the extinguisher breaks the ceiling causing the extinguisher to break? Who knows. It'll probably be explained next episode.

Yeah I think "propulsion magic" is the relevant bit here :D
Unless she got the faultiest extinguisher ever.

To reply you must either login or sign up.