Forum › A Scummy Gap Student With a Hard Life Calls Upon a Lady of the Night discussion

joined Jan 14, 2020

I wonder if "big sis" actually means biological sister, vs. a school/senpai sense of "onee-sama"

Like in Railgun, Kuroko is calling Misaka "onee-sama" all the time but they're not related.

The production stuff was interesting. Average of 11 days to do 12-14 pages plus a color frontispiece. If we combine the hours into full-time days, that would be 5-6 days, or a week, to do 13 pages. Webcomics tend to top out at like 3 color pages a week, or in the case of El Goonish Shive, 3 B&W pages + 3 B&W strips so maybe like 4.5 pages. Pro Western comics tend to have someone spending a month on drawing 22 pages, with other people doing the writing and coloring.

Conclusion: Kosuzume as unmentioned assistants, or is a art-drawing beast.

Edit: OTOH, the pages tend to be like 2-4 panels, whereas Girl Genius and EGS today have 8 panel pages, so it's not the same.

last edited at Oct 24, 2022 7:48PM

joined Mar 19, 2020

holy maceroni autor-san is drawing fast.

I didnt expect satou to like her own sister tho. also isn't kinda wierd to "convince" someone you trust to study the thing you need? even if you trust someone, you can never be sure and maybe they wanted to do something else

I’d assume the Mc older sis was just into it herself and maybe that’s why the interest started or maybe she just heard about her gfs goal and decided she’d like to help/found an interest in it because of that. Doesn’t mean she necessarily convinced her

I take that back she totally said she’d get someone to become a psychologist. That is pretty weird

last edited at Oct 24, 2022 8:40PM

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I wonder if "big sis" actually means biological sister, vs. a school/senpai sense of "onee-sama"

Like in Railgun, Kuroko is calling Misaka "onee-sama" all the time but they're not related.

They are not biologically related, but I think are still family. Satou said she was abandoned as a child so either she was adopted by Sena's family or they were both orphans in the same orphanage. I'm leaning towards the latter since Sena wants to build a childcare facility as her dream and that would make sense as the catalyst for her motivations.

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

It's a small world after all.

I didnt expect satou to like her own sister tho. also isn't kinda wierd to "convince" someone you trust to study the thing you need? even if you trust someone, you can never be sure and maybe they wanted to do something else

The circumstances seem kinda vague. I don't know if that was deliberately trying to push Satou into that field or if it was just an off-hand comment that Satou latched onto. Future chapters will, hopefully, make it clearer.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

You know I kinda want Makino to get some karma for extorting her sister...

she got it alright

She actually made an opportunity for her to have her fav's single.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

wasn't expecting this insert pkachu surprised face
i hopé satou doesn't give up on life for a split second i was afraid she would jump that window
satou-san please be okay

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Damn,that schedule.

LETS' GO,KO!

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

Satou has good taste. (Sena is totally my type) Bad timing though.

joined Jan 24, 2022

holy maceroni autor-san is drawing fast.

I’d assume the Mc older sis was just into it herself and maybe that’s why the interest started or maybe she just heard about her gfs goal and decided she’d like to help/found an interest in it because of that. Doesn’t mean she necessarily convinced her

I take that back she totally said she’d get someone to become a psychologist. That is pretty weird

The way it's written is pretty bad but I think what she's trying to say is "get someone to become a psychologist at her childcare facility", as in hire someone who has a degree/background in psychology instead of "make someone study psychology".

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

They are not biologically related, but I think are still family. Satou said she was abandoned as a child so either she was adopted by Sena's family or they were both orphans in the same orphanage. I'm leaning towards the latter since Sena wants to build a childcare facility as her dream and that would make sense as the catalyst for her motivations.

Oh damn there's depth to these characters. I'm so lost in the fantasy over time that I forget.

joined Jun 25, 2021

oh dang. things got a lot darker than I signed up for

Welp.

joined Nov 11, 2022

Uhh...

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

Well, that went from "zero" to "holy shit" real fast.

I...uh...don't exactly trust this manga to do this topic justice? I honestly can't decide if it'll be more annoying for this to be a fake-out or a genuine attempt at drama that feels a little unearned.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I wasn’t expecting this, but I can’t say there were not signs this could be coming. I mean… abandoned by parents, prostitution+day job+preparing for exams (that ain’t healthy), and spoilers

Clearly had something going on with her “sister” who’s probably from a similar background — so they had a “kindred spirits” type of relationship but her sister is “moving on” and has a lover and is achieving her dreams while she’s not part of it at all so she’s lost the only person she thought was an important part of her life

Can’t really say the last page of this chapter is 100% far-fetched. We just don’t see it as predictable because we are experiencing the story through the lens of the scumbag.

But we all know what will happen on the next chapter (it will solve itself quickly)

last edited at Nov 21, 2022 8:18PM

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

uhhh, is there any kind of content warning tag that would be suitable here? dunno which one might be best

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

Chibiusa x Hotaru
Max respect.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Damn that was a sudden turn even though we knew Satou was going through some shit. So not unexpected based on what we know of the characters, but the tonal shift in those last pages is kinda bonkers.

I guess we are finally seeing how Satou can start forming feelings for Makino. Never expected the story to go in this direction for it though lol. I just hope Satou won't fall in love just because she finds she's wanted by someone and she actually leaves that toxic mindset.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

uhhh, is there any kind of content warning tag that would be suitable here? dunno which one might be best

I think the only one that exists and could fit is Suicide but using it can be misleading af.

Damn that was a sudden turn even though we knew Satou was going through some shit. So not unexpected based on what we know of the characters, but the tonal shift in those last pages is kinda bonkers.

I guess we are finally seeing how Satou can start forming feelings for Makino. Never expected the story to go in this direction for it though lol. I just hope Satou won't fall in love just because she finds she's wanted by someone and she actually leaves that toxic mindset.

Same. I hope this becomes a step for Satou to see Makino as a friend and not a client. Not thinking there are ulterior motives for the other to reach out for her since she is no longer “Maron”.
The romance route could be delayed by the fact that Makino is a complete idiot and will take months to find out she is indeed in love.

Something like
They become friends -> “hey this is a solution to the uneasiness” > notices it’s not -> oh wait up I AM a Riako

last edited at Nov 21, 2022 9:17PM

joined Feb 1, 2021

Well that took a turn. O_O

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

Feckin' 'ell that took a turn

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

Sh*t got really dark real fast

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Oho? Kosuzume BASED! HaruMichi is a pairing for the uninitiated. The baby gays and the newbie otaku who don't realize the unlimited varieties of nuance this side has!! Fumu fumu etc

20230425_150259
joined Aug 25, 2021

Feckin' 'ell that took a turn

I'm pretty sure that shit just gave me whiplash.

Mangetsu
joined Oct 24, 2021

I...uh...don't exactly trust this manga to do this topic justice? I honestly can't decide if it'll be more annoying for this to be a fake-out or a genuine attempt at drama that feels a little unearned.

Yeah, I may be proven wrong but this feels kinda....unsalvageable? either it's a very poor taste fake-out or a tone shift that's very much a blindside. and even if things work out, it makes it kinda difficult to root for an endgame where the main pair end up together because it went from a harmless series that you don't think about too much to a pretty....bad vibes dynamic? hopefully I'm wrong because I liked this series up to this point.

To reply you must either login or sign up.