Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

"me fumo la clase de hoy" means "whatever, I can just skip it"
ESTOY EN EL SUELO JAJAJAJAJAJAKJSFNKJADSBNFKJA

afkeroge Uploader
Nanayuu
Noca Scans
joined May 29, 2015

well to those that's saying that the spanish is bad, that's cause it's not exactly Spanish, it's probably Chabakano, a local dialect that originated from Spanish... its the local dialect in Cebu...
And to those who are thinking of swimming with the whale sharks, that's banned now sorry, it used to be a thing before though...

really nice story, kinda feel like a chronicle of someone's actual vacation lol

Chavacano is not from Cebu, it's from Zamboanga, a completely different province. It's an interesting creole of Spanish, but it's still not what's being used here. The manga mentioned that the tanned girl is from Spain specifically.

Also, diving to see whale sharks is still a thing. Well, not for now because of the pandemic, but it's still something you can do on a normal day, IIRC.

And now, I've practically admitted where I'm from. Goddamn it.

last edited at May 16, 2020 10:42PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Truly beautiful. I really felt the soul of the premise: "Because we can't understand, we can only be direct and honest." How freeing. It can't remain that simple of course, but as a beginning, a foundation, it's enviable.

Thank you very much TZdY, and my especial compliments on the wordsmithing of this translation. The quality of the phrasing was on par with a Lililicious release, and that is just about the highest praise I can give.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Just to let everyone know, the artist has made a couple of sequels to this. You can see the previews on Pixiv:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/74759842
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/76524025

Not sure if you're trying to kill me or bankrupt me or both but I welcome my end, so thank you.

Really am a sucker for that language gap. Although was it a proper tag before and I just never noticed or is it new?

Brand new!

Tumblr_mypwn7a9jz1t29xkeo6_1280
joined Jul 29, 2016

Tooooo cute! I have always wondered if I could get across with my bad English when I could go traveling to somewhere where I don't know the languaje, so this is kinda like the best case scenario fantasy!! I agree the combination of the sense of freedom from being in a foreign land alone and the need to communicate effectively with little words make the straightforwardness more strong

joined Jan 14, 2020

" Reminds me of the time I was in Japan, barely anyone knew any English. I primarily talked thru Google translate. "

I think Japanese-chan wanted to, thus her pulling out her phone and discovering no signal, no wi-fi. Spanish-chan only thought of it near the end, for asking her out, it seems.

Travel tip: if you've sort of studied the language but are better at reading than understanding speech, carry a pen and notebook and ask people you ask questions of to write things down. That helped me a lot in a Spanish country, especially when they spoke fast in a strong accent.

Anyway, cute work, thanks for translating it! I remember liking the Mira work along these lines, too.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

So cute!!!! The sequels are even cuter!

As somebody who cares about realism I can never help hoping they have a STI check before getting down and dirty, but I've yet to see any manga ever do this. XD

joined Jul 8, 2019

no me quejo de su español porque seguro que es mejor que mi japonés :-)

Penguin on land
91898571_201066378006221_6340117081815515136_o
joined Jan 11, 2019

So good :-!(✿ ♡‿♡)

C098df51-864a-4f26-94f4-0ea01971405b
joined Sep 18, 2018

AAAAAHHHHHH IT WAS SO CUTE THEYRE SO CUTE THE LANGUAGE GAP WAS SO CUTE AAAHHHHHHHHH EVERYTHING WAS SO CUTE except for the boyfriend smh :(

Tumblr_mqsgcvuolq1s1l3cpo1_500
joined Jul 12, 2012

That moment when my bilingual mind was able to read everything just fine lol. Though the spanish is off in some parts. It was just well enough to be read just like the English parts where its kinda funky to read but you kinda get it. But overall realistically in moments where there's language barriers the whole conversation will always sound off. So in a way I appreciated the realness of it all.

Lil-Dumpster-Rat
2020-10-01%20(2)
joined Jul 27, 2019

As a Filipino, I feel warm from this

joined May 8, 2017

no me quejo de su español porque seguro que es mejor que mi japonés :-)
TAL CUAL!!!
Bueno, la verdad es que si estuvo muy linda la historia...

Qndkfwtexmw51%20-%20kopie
joined May 20, 2014

Just to let everyone know, the artist has made a couple of sequels to this. You can see the previews on Pixiv:

Thank you, just ordered them and TZdY is totally down for working on them! Really glad to have so much positive feedback on this manga. I'm glad that everyone enjoyed it!

Kikaluna Uploader
Ef2_zi-u4ae1h8g
Noca Scans
joined Nov 20, 2017

Thank you, just ordered them and TZdY is totally down for working on them! Really glad to have so much positive feedback on this manga. I'm glad that everyone enjoyed it!

Thank you so much! Looking forward to reading those too. :)

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

All the complaints about the bad Spanish are kinda uncalled for.

I'd say.

Remember that the author most probably did their best with what little they knew about the language. If a manga or anime used my native language, I'd be over the moon, regardless of how "badly" they use it.

I'm a native Spanish-speaker, and this I can tell you: the Spanish in this manga is not bad. I spotted a grand total of four mistakes:
1) One time, she uses the Portuguese word for "I" instead of the Spanish word.
2) One time, she uses the Italian word for "awesome" instead of the Spanish word. (And she says it like she's talking about her instead of the situation: "you are awesome" instead of "this is awesome")
3) One time, she says in good Spanish "Did you wake me up?" but actually she was trying to say "Did I wake you up?"
4) One time, she says in good Spanish "I like this!" but actually she was trying to say "I like you!"

And then there's her final outpour at the airport, which is quite choppy and incoherent... but I'm not counting it among the mistakes because I suspect it's supposed to sound like that -- the result of her extreme distress and confusion, intermingled with sobbing.

On a slightly different subject, one thing that made me feel a bit disappointed is that we never meet the people from Cebu -- I mean the inhabitants, the Philippine people. We have a Japanese girl and a Spanish girl, and they talk to each other, sometimes in Japanese, sometimes in Spanish and sometimes in English... but we never find what happens when they try to talk to the locals. I wonder how they would fare?

CaptainMochi
joined May 11, 2015

this is really beautiful, going into my favourites

joined Apr 28, 2019

Me gusto!

afkeroge Uploader
Nanayuu
Noca Scans
joined May 29, 2015

I'm a native Spanish-speaker, and this I can tell you: the Spanish in this manga is not bad. I spotted a grand total of four mistakes:
1) One time, she uses the Portuguese word for "I" instead of the Spanish word.
2) One time, she uses the Italian word for "awesome" instead of the Spanish word. (And she says it like she's talking about her instead of the situation: "you are awesome" instead of "this is awesome")
3) One time, she says in good Spanish "Did you wake me up?" but actually she was trying to say "Did I wake you up?"
4) One time, she says in good Spanish "I like this!" but actually she was trying to say "I like you!"

And then there's her final outpour at the airport, which is quite choppy and incoherent... but I'm not counting it among the mistakes because I suspect it's supposed to sound like that -- the result of her extreme distress and confusion, intermingled with sobbing.

On a slightly different subject, one thing that made me feel a bit disappointed is that we never meet the people from Cebu -- I mean the inhabitants, the Philippine people. We have a Japanese girl and a Spanish girl, and they talk to each other, sometimes in Japanese, sometimes in Spanish and sometimes in English... but we never find what happens when they try to talk to the locals. I wonder how they would fare?

Ah, as a tourist destination, the beaches of Cebu actually have quite a few people who can speak basic Japanese. Nothing too difficult, just standard greetings and sales talk for the most part. There are a select few who are fluent, but they're hard to come by. Korean is a much more efficient language to learn for those in the tourism business, since the number one source of international tourism in the Philippines is South Korea.

If you're curious on how Filipinos respond to Japanese tourists, there a Japanese YouTuber who focuses on that particular niche: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC23SG4XKkSrbhz-bZ2f5Mfw

joined Oct 26, 2019

Language proficiency is a bit lax in the philippines, so her mixing languages, and slang in high school is not quite out of place here.(I know I did in High School cringe)

Underage drinking is lax here. so long as you keep it private, not make a scene, keep it in your residence(or room), even with friends, no one will bother you.

Many places are not easy to access, even with public transport, so we tend to bum rides with friends with cars as much as possible.

last edited at May 20, 2020 2:22AM

SakurakoMist
joined May 6, 2020

So cute!! Although i thought it was a little bit weird that the language are spanish and japanese language but location is in philippines. Still great though! One of the best read!

joined Dec 28, 2017

Dang, that was so sweet and cute.

DivineAlexandra
Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

I loved this a lot, I have no clue about the Spanish but I liked that it was included

Untitled172-1
joined Jan 4, 2017

That was pretty cute uwu short and sweet. Tho as a filipino I just wanna say

nagbakasyon lang si ate sa pinas ng dalawang araw at naki bonding sa butanding nagka jowa kaagad PARKOUR SKILLZ

Img_20190727_095038
joined Oct 28, 2016

That was so soft uwu My kokoro

To reply you must either login or sign up.