ForumRun Away With Me, Girl discussion

Rsz_file_000
joined May 20, 2019

How would you have ended it?

Dunno. Making an ending for an axed series is hard. But timeskip ending is the laziest one. Anyway, this ending would be better if we could at least get a glimpse of Maki and Midori's life during that 10 years timeskip. Something like a quick composition of panels ala "show don't tell" with them raising this kid. And then what we got in this chapter. It would be more consistent.

First, the series wasn't axed. I was 4 volumes long, but 16 chapters was all it needed to tell it's story. Not every yuri series needs to be 8+ volumes.

Second, I think it was a bold and original choice to not show our protagonists at all during the timeskip (though we did get to hear Midori's voice). Learning about how their family is still facing challenges from the perspective of their daughter was highly effective, and her attitude in this chapter was very much consistent with the series' themes of running away from your problems before accepting them, realizing you're not alone, and dealing with societal expectations.

Timeskips may be a trope, but trope and cliches can work if executed in an original way. And I think this is one of the best written timeskips in any manga I've seen. Perhaps even better than Bloom Into You's.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Timeskips may be a trope, but trope and cliches can work if executed in an original way. And I think this is one of the best written timeskips in any manga I've seen. Perhaps even better than Bloom Into You's.

I'd agree with that, only in the sense that YagaKimi didn't really have much last-chapter work to do--while readers would have welcomed a view of the two of them together at pretty much any future point, we already knew that Yuu and Touko were going to be fine months, years, or decades out the timeline.

This chapter allowed us to infer a whole lot of Maki and Midori's life together while acquainting us with a character we had only known as Midori's bump previously. We know that M&M are still close friends with Komari, that the two of them still are very different people (uptight Maki and laid-back Midori), that Tazune is in Kon's life, that Komari made her peace with her hometown, etc.

None of that was exactly mission-critical except the fact that they stayed together after the "wedding," but it tied things up nicely while still showing us something new.

Churi%20-%20copia
joined Dec 29, 2019

An unexpected way to end a series, but I really liked it. It showed us little pieces of info for almost every character and I appreciate that.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

And I agree with everybody else—one of the best timeskip endings I can recall.

Better than Kimetsu's, that's for sure.

I liked Kimetsu but the ending was so dumb.

Wolfgirl
joined Jan 31, 2015

This chapter allowed us to infer a whole lot of Maki and Midori's life together while acquainting us with a character we had only known as Midori's bump previously. We know that M&M are still close friends with Komari, that the two of them still are very different people (uptight Maki and laid-back Midori), that Tazune is in Kon's life, that Komari made her peace with her hometown, etc.

None of that was exactly mission-critical except the fact that they stayed together after the "wedding," but it tied things up nicely while still showing us something new.

Exactly. It didn't spoon-feed us a collage (graphic exposition) on everything that's happened in the years since. Rather, it tapped into the essence of "show, don't tell" by setting the stage and simply implying everything that's out of view. It was an incredibly efficient use of story telling that encompassed far more than would have been laid out by following the main couple without it feeling forced. I would call this the best-quality chapter in the entire series. Rather than feeling rushed (as some are implying that the series was axed), this feels like it's been thought through for months.

joined May 1, 2013

Love it, love it, love it. This is some of the most graceful writing I've seen in a manga in a long time.

I love Komari trying to stave off her impulse to argue and explicitly connect the dots, because her empathy tells her that won't be effective, and because she knows the image in her photo will do the job better than talking could. It doesn't mean anything if the Cool Aunt connects with Kon; she's gotta see her parents get her.

(I also love her saying she's in the second half of her 20s, despite it being made clear she's 30)

Oh, and I love the way the dad's brought up. He's still around, but Kon very quickly points to something he bought her as evidence he cares.... something utilitarian that anyone would need.

It's a real victory for the offbeat art style, too, especially that final page.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

(I also love her saying she's in the second half of her 20s, despite it being made clear she's 30)

Ages 20-29 are the first half of your 20s, 30-39 are the second half. XD

Screen%20shot%202020-05-04%20at%2010.17.35%20pm
joined Jul 1, 2015

the ending was good and im glad theyre together but i wanted to see them as an old couple :( even just a cameo lol

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

I think that literally may have been one of the best epilogues I've ever seen or read or heard. A lot of emotional content in just one chapter that shows that the characters' lives are continuing to evolve but that the central conflict is truly resolved.

joined Oct 27, 2018

Ugh. Time skip ending. How original. No wonder this manga wasn't popular.

Wasn't popular with who? Incels? Misogynist assholes who lurk on mangadex? People who can't deal with reality? Yeah, I wouldn't want my story to be popular with those people, either.

This has me curious what Mangedex had to say about this manga, I once made the mistake of reading the comments for FukaBoku on there, so I can imagine it wasn't anything good.

joined Aug 14, 2019

Ugh. Time skip ending. How original. No wonder this manga wasn't popular.

Wasn't popular with who? Incels? Misogynist assholes who lurk on mangadex? People who can't deal with reality? Yeah, I wouldn't want my story to be popular with those people, either.

This has me curious what Mangedex had to say about this manga, I once made the mistake of reading the comments for FukaBoku on there, so I can imagine it wasn't anything good.

Honestly it's not that bad. I think like here, most of the people that were leaving shitty comments have either come around or left entirely.

Dff0209211a0f125cc5e383463bdeb94
joined May 8, 2017

I don’t think I’ll ever forget about this manga. I know it’s cliche to say this, but this manga felt more like an experience than just manga. There was something inherently realistic about these two main characters, and I loved how the author captured the complexities of their personalities and their relationship with one another, their insecurities and fears, their love for another and their ability to stand up for themselves and their relationship. I teared up a little reading this last chapter. Unlike other time skips, this time skip actually felt meaningful in the way it reminded us of Maki and Midori’s love; it didn’t show us the main characters in the present, but you can feel their presence in Kon. You can feel the impact that the two main characters have for Kon, to the point where Kon secretly hated herself for not standing up for them. Unlike other time skips, we are reminded of how Maki and Midori ended up finally married as Kon’s running away parallels theirs, and through the act of inheriting this memory of theirs through seeing the photograph of them together, Kon sees that no matter how big the world is, no matter how much society will reject them, their love is so big, so defiant, so durable that it does not matter how society perceives them as long as they have their family.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Well, I'm a little late in commenting, but... tbh Ran said in the credits pretty much everything I could have said myself. I don't have anything to add... except, maybe, that I for one was on the God Please Let Them Be Happy side from chapter 1 -- and I have the posts to prove it!

From the first page to the last one, there was nothing but goodness and awesomeness in this manga. Some final words to summarize my take on the completed story:

Budokan2
joined Jan 13, 2015

Well that was definitely a roller coaster ride of emotions. No wonder this work had 1.2k comments. Lol it was good. If the work had people discussing it this much, whether it be good or bad discussions, that only meant that the work stirred up something inside you, which makes it a win for the author in my book. Too bad that husband person didn't die tho, i know some people will say that's too mean, but he definitely deserved it. I've been bullied a lot when I was in high school, but very recently i started to realize that wanting revenge on them or wanting to see their lives ruined is only making me lose out more on my life that they already have taken. It was super traumatic, but in the end it's all in the past now. Thinking about it and letting it weigh me down is only making them win even more, so I just started thinking that I'm better off moving on with my life and not letting it define me. That husband guy bringing it all the way to his adult life, letting it mold him, and then making it so that he looks down on people, is really pathetic. I'd be much softer if he was just suffering on his own, but the fact that it affects others is what makes it so disgusting. The one girl he broke up with is prolly not the only one that he dumped just cause girls were "easy" (they're not lmao). So thought he really was wasting oxygen just by virtue of existing. Series was pretty good, 8/10 since im not a fan of the art. Not saying it isn't good, just that i prefer other art styles :D

joined Jun 7, 2019

Kon's personality is the same as Maki's hahaha that shows that parents are not the ones you share blood with, parents are the ones who raise you

Well, it's fiction. AIUI, scientifically, Big 5 personality traits are half genetic, half random. In general kids don't have the same personalities as their parents or their siblings. Though obviously culture, habits, and attitudes can be shared via upbringing.

According to a study, adoptive children are more like their adoptive parents, personality and those things are acquired in the environment you are raised and thus you incorporate things from your parents (or anyone who has a close relationship with you)
Things like intelligence are inherited (although education also influences)

7f4c51eb-a030-43fc-b409-8977f1c2964d
joined Jan 18, 2016

‘S good stuff. Nice art, nice story. I can whine about the time skip but I felt like it was alright. Glad that Midori left that excuse of a guy.

joined Sep 22, 2015

I thought I would never see the day when I would love the ending more than the journey or the main characters themselves. I'm not even sure if that makes sense; it even sounds strange to me.

This is a testament on how this ending was so unconventional and ingenious at the same time in the yuri genre. Bravo!

joined Nov 27, 2017

Stuck the landing. Adding it to my list I pull out whenever someone comes to me for a recommendation.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Series was pretty good, 8/10 since im not a fan of the art. Not saying it isn't good, just that i prefer other art styles :D

I'd put my rating right about there, too, for much the same reason. Overall the series was very good, and sometimes, especially in the fluffier moments, the art style fit quite well. But the flowing insect-antennae eyebrows were always a little distracting, and I thought the art tended to clash a bit during the more angsty and dramatic scenes, and those kinds of scenes were pretty important to the story.

But that's not really a major complaint. This was a very satisfying series, more solid and thoughtful than I thought it was going to be a first.

joined Apr 17, 2017

It was top-tier for me, probably because I thought the art style was really engrossing on its own, and the story was very well-developed. This is a series I'd really like to see published in English. What company would do that? Seven Seas? Viz? Yen Press? I think Viz is kind of ideal in terms of quality––they sometimes take shorter stories and publish them as single, high-quality volumes, like they did for Mujirushi: The Sign of Dreams just recently. Though Seven Seas did a nice single-volume collection of Fragtime, too. I'd like to send a request to one of the companies, but I don't know which one would be most interested in licensing a title like this one.

Capitan Shipper
joined Nov 23, 2018

I m only One Who like the design of the manga lol?

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Phoenix%20picture
joined Jul 20, 2016

This made me tear up, I'm glad they got their happy ending, it wasn't looking very well in the first few chapters and in the later ones it would've hurt so much if they didn't get together in the end

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

I don't know why it's so hard for me to accept that Midori turned out bisexual in the end when in high school she said we gotta grow up someday and can't be together anymore. Just makes me feel like she never was into Maki ever. So I read the whole manga feeling that way. Like fuck off straighty... Then again, I didn't understand my sexuality for a while, and have been in a relationship with men cuz it's better than being alone... I also kind of hate myself for that though and am taking it out on Midori.

Like Maki though I'm still in love with my best friend from middle school. Fucking 30 and can't or don't want to get over it. Jeez... If only such things actually happened.

joined May 25, 2019

It was good.

To reply you must either login or sign up.