Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

dear japan
ur manga/anime sucks across the entire board now
ty for founding the industry, now u can rip
korea/china ftw

Large
joined Nov 25, 2018

I wanna know if this is really a Yuri Manga or not...

The definition of Yuri that I use is stories that focus on the emotional, social, sexual, and or all three aspects of lesbian relationships. And this is in line with how the genre is used in Japan (so this excludes Shojo-Ai which is lesbian lolicon in Japan).

Yuri isn't all romance requiring pairings to come through at the end; it's not all sweet fluff and hand holding isolated in secret gardens protected from a hostile world where love reigns supreme. There can be a lot of struggles and things don't, like anyone's feelings of love for another, work out.

This story has a young women in love with and adult married woman and the story focuses on the young woman's feels and desires for the older woman. In addition to the difficulties there there are familial dynamics, other relationships struggles, and difficulties in expression and falling out of love. A layered story with other presented views doesn't make this series any less Yuri as ultimately the story comes back to the feelings of attraction, that don't have to end in romance, for and growing between two women.

That doesn't make every story with a lesbian pairing Yuri, but here the focus stands.

Hello!!! THIS IS FICTION!!! Not the real life, and besides, why are telling us that we need patience for what? If they don't get over together, what's the point? In my case, I'm only here for the end...nothing more...and besides, why the tag "ROMANCE" is here if you suggest that this will not end with romance...besides, where is the romance? The YURI romance? I must be blind because I don't see it

Seriously, your level of masochism is way too low to read anything but stories approved and beamed by the Yuri Fairy.

Yuri romance can be one-sided too. Unrequited or impossible love is a staple in romance genre. And that romance doesn't even have to be the main plot in the story.

I'll be honest, when a story become crap for me, I stop read it and forget it...I always apply the rule of "if you don't like it, don't read it" so, that's what always I do...saying that, for a story that I gave some opportunities and, of course, taking patience for how long the latest month took for a release, it's really getting worst...the drama isn't bad, is how long took for be solved that drama...and that's exactly what's happening here, besides that I hate when always a men is between the main "couple" (they aren't yet)...for me, this drama is cancerous (about the romance, the difference between what are u telling me and what is the "romance" in this manga is that in the end, the unrequited love become corresponded...and that's exactly WHAT IS NOT HAPPENING HERE...and there is a lot of probabilities that will never be corresponded...so, what's the point?
Really, I will be the most honest person right now...with this kind of Yuri mangas, with this sucked angst drama, the Yuri genre suck everyday...thanks to God the Korean and China GL exist

last edited at Dec 25, 2018 4:49PM

joined Aug 22, 2016

The definition of Yuri that I use is stories that focus on the emotional, social, sexual, and or all three aspects of lesbian relationships. And this is in line with how the genre is used in Japan (so this excludes Shojo-Ai which is lesbian lolicon in Japan).

Yuri isn't all romance requiring pairings to come through at the end; it's not all sweet fluff and hand holding isolated in secret gardens protected from a hostile world where love reigns supreme. There can be a lot of struggles and things don't, like anyone's feelings of love for another, work out.

This story has a young women in love with and adult married woman and the story focuses on the young woman's feels and desires for the older woman. In addition to the difficulties there there are familial dynamics, other relationships struggles, and difficulties in expression and falling out of love. A layered story with other presented views doesn't make this series any less Yuri as ultimately the story comes back to the feelings of attraction, that don't have to end in romance, for and growing between two women.

That doesn't make every story with a lesbian pairing Yuri, but here the focus stands.

Hello!!! THIS IS FICTION!!! Not the real life, and besides, why are telling us that we need patience for what? If they don't get over together, what's the point? In my case, I'm only here for the end...nothing more...and besides, why the tag "ROMANCE" is here if you suggest that this will not end with romance...besides, where is the romance? The YURI romance? I must be blind because I don't see it

The "patience" comment was from another user, not myself: even if I agree that patience is a virtue.

My post wasn't in response to this story alone. It was a response to a user questioning what I quoted, "...really Yuri or not?"

The " just fiction" argument is one that without fail annoys me as it has no literary appreciation at all in any regard. Of course this is fiction and fiction has genre with key elements used to reflect life artistically. Some don't quite reach levels of literature and artistry, some are simple storytelling which is fine in itself and not pretentious to say. Some reflections are absurdities and some focus more on the lucid and "real".

What's the point? The expression of emotion that is story telling. If you don't like stories with endings that may not be what you're wanting then don't read them. Or learn to appreciate different perspectives and not just the one's you want to see and project that onto others because you see no value unless you yourself are fulfilled by something.

Romance is a genre containing stories with relations defined by romantic love that either end with pairings or at least an optimistic (could call it bittersweet even) end. We don't know the end of the story, maybe they do come together in the end, but that's not for us as readers to dictate. And besides, that wasn't the point of my post as it was in response to the questioning of what Yuri is.

last edited at Dec 25, 2018 4:47PM

Large
joined Nov 25, 2018

The "patience" comment was from another user, not myself: even if I agree that patience is a virtue.

My post wasn't in response to this story alone. It was a response to a user questioning what I quoted, "...really Yuri or not?"

The " just fiction" argument is one that without fail annoys me as it has no literary appreciation at all in any regard. Of course this is fiction and fiction has genre with key elements used to reflect life artistically. Some don't quite reach levels of literature and artistry, some are simple storytelling which is fine in itself and not pretentious to say. Some reflections are absurdities and some focus more on the lucid and "real".

What's the point? The expression of emotion that is story telling. If you don't like stories with endings that may not be what you're wanting then don't read them. Or learn to appreciate different perspectives and not just the one's you want to see and project that onto others because you see no value unless you yourself are fulfilled by something.

Romance is a genre containing stories with relations defined by romantic love that either end with pairings or at least an optimistic (could call it bittersweet even) end. We don't know the end of the story, maybe they do come together in the end, but that's not for us as readers to dictate. And besides, that wasn't the point of my post as it was in response to the questioning of what Yuri is.

Yeah anyway...I'm just waiting how this will end...but the next chapters I will skip aside from read...when I ear the "MUL end" then I will be back...for now...I'll just leave to read this

joined Aug 11, 2014

Lmao with people getting frustrated that the romance in a story titled "My Unrequited Love" isn't advancing quickly enough. I honestly do get it, this manga is deliberately slow and agonising, and if you're not into that, then I can't blame you for having a bad time. But for all the many valid complaints you could have about this story, you can't fault it for false advertising.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Lmao with people getting frustrated that the romance in a story titled "My Unrequited Love" isn't advancing quickly enough. I honestly do get it, this manga is deliberately slow and agonising, and if you're not into that, then I can't blame you for having a bad time. But for all the many valid complaints you could have about this story, you can't fault it for false advertising.

Look, I know the difference between slow-burn romance (which, done well, I am quite a fan of) and stories that are structured around fake-out cliffhangers, intentionally withheld information, and arbitrarily postponed confrontations.

My problem is not that the romance isn’t advancing (in the specific terms this story has set up it is advancing—after 20 chapters, we at least now know that Kaoru knows that Uta is in love with her, and is trying to figure out what to do).

My complaint is that the story keeps raising issues concerning all of the characters (list available on request) that don’t get developed in any focused way, which makes it hard to care very much about them.

Phpcmgiip_c2pm
joined Dec 14, 2016

Look, I know the difference between slow-burn romance (which, done well, I am quite a fan of) and stories that are structured around fake-out cliffhangers, intentionally withheld information, and arbitrarily postponed confrontations.

My problem is not that the romance isn’t advancing (in the specific terms this story has set up it is advancing—after 20 chapters, we at least now know that Kaoru knows that Uta is in love with her, and is trying to figure out what to do).

My complaint is that the story keeps raising issues concerning all of the characters (list available on request) that don’t get developed in any focused way, which makes it hard to care very much about them.

i can't deny all the contrivances have grated me to a point I lost interest in the main characters and have actually been paying more attention to the side characters. Like Miyabi and Kuroe who have actually shown some progress whenever they appear.

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

I'm still interested in this, since I like Uta. She reminds me a lot of myself, since I used to fall in love a lot with straight girls... It agonizing. I wanna see her love become requited or see her giving up and getting better.

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Repeating myself: Meh.

This series has lost a lot of steam. I'm not interested in how this turns out at all. Also the inane Kuro/Miyabi relationship takes up more of this chapter than needed, just like it's been throughout the manga.

joined Sep 6, 2016

Really nice chapter ... next one is gonna hurt ... BAD

Download_20181110_194445-1-1
joined Feb 12, 2016

I'm so ready for uta and kaoru to finally talk this out. I hope this goes better than it seems it will, based on kaoru's friend's advice

last edited at Dec 25, 2018 7:19PM

joined Feb 23, 2016

Ohh damn!

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Well, this is gonna hurt like a mother[bleep]

joined Aug 11, 2014

Oh, absolutely. I fully agree. It's all unfocused and meandering and unsatisfying and incredibly frustrating. These are all exceptionally good reasons to dislike this manga. I just thought it was kinda funny that so many people (maybe not you, but definitely including me) all assume that this is fundamentally a story about her love eventually being requited, and therefore events should be moving in that direction, even though the title asserts otherwise. Like, of course you would! What else would the story be about? I think it's funny, but I don't think it's wrong, either.

I have to admit, it's still working for me, though. Yeah, the plot is weirdly unfocused, and nobody ever manages to successfully talk to anyone else, and it acts needlessly cryptic about basic story beats and that just serves to make everything feel annoyingly vague, but like... That's what unrequited love feels like, isn't it? It's awful, and part of you wants to just skip to the end so you can see what happens even if you hate it, and part of you suspects that the best, healthiest, most sensible choice is just to drop it and walk away, even if that means never getting a real sense of closure, but part of you hopes that if you just stick it out for long enough, you might just get what you wanted. Even if another part of you isn't even sure what you want anymore.

And I think that's the point? I genuinely think that it's deliberately trying to make readers feel miserable and confused, as a way of further exploring the theme of unrequited love, and more deeply understanding the irrational actions of its characters. I would never say that it's an enjoyable story, and I'm not even sure that it can be a good story, but I personal find it fairly effective, and in those terms I like it. I'm sure you can definitely construct a much stronger argument for why none of this actually makes sense and that the manga does a ton of things really badly that makes it much less effective at what I'm saying it's doing, but it's still working for me, so I'm okay with it.

last edited at Dec 25, 2018 8:45PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

And I think that's the point? I genuinely think that it's deliberately trying to make readers feel miserable and confused, as a way of further exploring the theme of unrequited love, and more deeply understanding the irrational actions of its characters. I would never say that it's an enjoyable story, and I'm not even sure that it can be a good story, but I personal find it fairly effective, and in those terms I like it. I'm sure you can definitely construct a much stronger argument for why none of this actually makes sense and that the manga does a ton of things really badly that makes it much less effective at what I'm saying it's doing, but it's still working for me, so I'm okay with it.

No, that’s a good reading, but I think it’s another example (I’ve seen more than a few around here) of a Dynasty reader constructing a much more sophisticated manga than the one given to us by the author.

For whatever reason, I still find myself in some sympathy with the character of Uta (although she’s not actually particularly interesting), and I hope things turn out well for her. But at this point I no longer think of her getting together with the dithering, ineffectual Kaoru as a very desirable outcome.

I just don’t think that an author who is thoughtful enough to conceive of the story you describe would be likely to execute it this awkwardly.

Screenshot_2020-06-05%20dorian%20electra%20has%20a%20full%20on%20broment
joined Jun 20, 2017

My interest on this has been waning since the pacing of the story lately isn't nearly as good as it was in the beginning, but, wow, I loved that last page. Sometimes Uta's gestures are so on point! the way she closes her eyes anticipating the emotional pain is very relatable, it's also very complex because she's seeking relief in this. I mean, the gesture itself is very simple, but I think most mangaka lack that sensibility.

last edited at Dec 25, 2018 10:30PM

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

I guess I just haven't read this story in so long, but Kaoru's friend intervention seemed out of left field.

This story can still be handled well, I think. Wrap up well, at least, regardless of the characters.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I guess I just haven't read this story in so long, but Kaoru's friend intervention seemed out of left field.

I think that’s at least partly because Kaoru hasn’t really opened up to anyone, including herself, about her feelings for the whole series.

We knew she had friends, and it’s perfectly logical for her to discuss things with a friend—except the one consistent thing about Kaoru is that she doesn’t talk about personal things with other people, even when she has a pressing need (like seeing her husband with another woman) to do so.

In another context that scene might look like “character development”—in this one, who knows?

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

i think don´t think people here are getting anoyed for the lack of romance between kaoru and uta(that´d be just dumb) i think people just want closure for an issue that was presented 5 frickin chapters ago uta confessed on chapter 14 and instead developing the issue the manga just keep adding stuff that don´t lead to anything plus the other stuff that the manga just leave aside

when reading a story like this i think you´re supose to be like "wow i knew it was going to happen i can´t wait for the next chapter" like yagate kimi ni naru

not be like "FUCKING FINALLY TOOK YOU LONG ENOUGH I HOPE THIS SHIT GETS A PROPER CLOSURE NOT LIKE THE OTHER STUFF THAT THE AUTHOR PROBABLY FORGGOT "

last edited at Dec 26, 2018 3:27AM

joined Dec 18, 2018

I'm confused about this one =/ There is a woman who attractive to a girl and that's why it's yuri , ok then. there's a big age difference between the women and the girl and that's why it's also age gap ,make sense. The women fu*ks with a guy she is married to ,sometimes it's happening, but wtf It's still not het or bisexual but just yuri ?

last edited at Dec 26, 2018 4:08AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So, you people actually pay attention to the tags beyond a cursory “give it a try or not” scan, huh?

Interesting.

joined Jul 26, 2016

So, you people actually pay attention to the tags beyond a cursory “give it a try or not” scan, huh?

Interesting.

You have seen some of the recurring Tag Wars around here, right? Personally think people ascribe far too much importance to the things. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

joined Jul 26, 2016

Look, I admit it's a silly thing to pay attention to, but to me the tags form part of the packaging. It's part of the information on the virtual cover of the book. Not just here but on any site that uses a tag system. And yes, consciously I only use it to filter the kind of thing I want to read. But subconsciously it still affects my reading experience. And if the tags don't follow logic, if I can't trust them, that defeats the purpose of using it to filter what I want to read, no?

For example, in the case of this series, I probably would have given up on it a while ago, like around chapter 12, if it hadn't been for the Romance tag, as that gave me the impression that all the misery was building up to something. If there hadn't been a tag that made me more inclined to believe that there was romance to look forward to, perhaps I could have spent that time on something else. It's not a big deal, so whatever, but I wanted to explain myself a little.

The problem here is that only too often the applicability of a given tag is more or less entirely subject to interpretation, nevermind now that when they get assigned to a series around the first chapter or so nobody has the foggiest how things will stand twenty chapters later (good crystal balls are expensive). And retroactively revising them sounds to me more like a colossal headache than anything.

Personally I only view them as indicative of broad themes of the work in question at best and do not expect such fundamentally reductionist labels to be capable of communicating much anything about any finer nuances. That's for actual textual descriptions/summaries and/or the story itself to do.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Look, I admit it's a silly thing to pay attention to, but to me the tags form part of the packaging. It's part of the information on the virtual cover of the book. Not just here but on any site that uses a tag system. And yes, consciously I only use it to filter the kind of thing I want to read. But subconsciously it still affects my reading experience. And if the tags don't follow logic, if I can't trust them, that defeats the purpose of using it to filter what I want to read, no?

Sure, the tags are a filter, and some people seem to treat them as honorifics/condemnations, but once I’m reading a series, it is what it is. I probably use them as more of an initial negative screen rather than as ongoing predictors or contracts with the audience, and plenty of series with tags I prefer have been terrible, and some with tags I usually shy away from have turned out to be fine.

And I guess besides series tagged Depressing as fuck that haven’t actually been Depressing as fuck yet, I rarely remember what the tags were once I start reading.

last edited at Dec 26, 2018 5:40AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

No doubt I wish I could be capable of this level of compartmentalization. In theory I do agree with you that it's important to keep an open mind in general. For personal reasons that I'd rather not get into, I'm probably sensitive to certain types of negative surprises when it comes to romance between women, and take them more seriously than I should. Hence why I attribute more value to tags than necessary.

Yeah, I get that too, and I understand that the tags can be psychologically important to people in very personal ways. I was just a little surprised at “Romance” carrying so much weight with a series in progress.

To reply you must either login or sign up.