Forum › Posts by Gale

joined Aug 11, 2014

People saying "The android is a loli in the end because Itou Hachi's gotta Itou Hachi" are correct, but I also want to point out: if the android had looked like a child in the first place, nobody would have blinked. It would have easily been explained by the grandmother saying she wanted her lonely granddaughter to have a friend. But if that had happened, Itou Hachi wouldn't have been able to draw a clingy ojou-sama kissing her clueless but enthusiastic teen robo-maid, and we all know what really matters to Itou Hachi.

joined Aug 11, 2014

So... This is speculation, but with all the foreshadowing about things feeling "out of sync", and her strangely intense trust in Menou, the odds on Akari having travelled back in time with her powers seems pretty high, huh?

This seems pretty interesting, anyway! The description made it sound a bit edgy, but it doesn't feel unnecessarily dark so far, and the worldbuilding is fairly intriguing. I'm on board.

Gale
Image Comments 08 Dec 05:46
joined Aug 11, 2014
Eojlwfauuaioqyo-orig

I really love the expression Edelgard has, here. It's like she's caught in this moment of reflection, thinking about how grateful she is to have to have Byleth in her life, how much she adores her, how lucky she feels in this moment. It almost looks like she has a tear welling up in her eye, too? It's really sweet.

joined Aug 11, 2014

And exactly how else this situation could have been solved favorably?

Edit: Misread your point. It makes sense that the king is the one who brings down the gavel, sure, but he didn't need to be the one who laid out the prince's idiocy or exposed the other girl as being an assassin. The maid would have been much better served as the one explaining all that stuff, having uncovered all the facts and made all the preparations for this exact moment, so the king has no choice but to punish his own son. That way, it shows how much work the maid has done behind the scenes to protect her mistress, and also gives her way more lines to express the emotional bond they ostensibly share, instead of relegating that to a few pages at the end.

last edited at Dec 1, 2020 5:33PM

joined Aug 11, 2014

I was all pumped up when the maid jumped in, but then she kinda just stood there? She showed guts insulting the prince to his face, but it was the king who did all the legwork on this one, and that wasn't super satisfying. Maybe the author felt that the hyper-competent maid gimmick is overplayed, but I wanted something a bit more substantial than her standing up and saying "What about this [commonly known and easily verifiable fact], huh?" when the king comes along a minute later to deliver the real kicker.

Even then, if the maid isn't here to be all-knowing and badass, give me a moment where the maid passionately extols her mistress' virtues in all the ways only a lover would recognise, or the noble lady fiercely coming to her maid's defence when the prince disregards her words as a mere servant. Something more personal between them, y'know? I can see yuri potential between them, but not much yuri energy. Wanted a bit more from it.

Gale
Liberty discussion 29 Nov 20:51
joined Aug 11, 2014

Okay, wait, are they seriously acting like her crippling character flaw here is how indecisive she's being, that she doesn't know whether she wants to choose her loving supportive girlfriend who she cheated on, or her long-reviled but sexy ex with whomst she cheated? Like, she's not being decisive enough, and that's why she's such a disappointment to everyone? Am I reading that right?

joined Aug 11, 2014

That friend, lmao. "Don't you ever grope your sister's boobs?" "Y'know, you two are the perfect height for kissing each other. Haha, I kid. But really, though..." I can't tell if she's observant and open-minded, or just weird.

last edited at Nov 17, 2020 6:32AM

Gale
Image Comments 13 Nov 21:23
joined Aug 11, 2014
Emlmnexu4aexsqp-orig

Did Catherine protect Shamir from those arrows? Or was Shamir the one who put them there in the first place? The world may never know.

joined Aug 11, 2014

"I think my girlfriend is cheating on me!"

Oh, no.

"I'm just going to go ask her instead of jumping to conclusions."

Oh thank god.

"The pretty girl is at my girlfriend's house! It's true! She really is cheating on me!"

Oh, no.

"I'm just going to tell you the slightly awkward truth instead of trying to cover it up and make things worse."

Oh, thank god.

This chapter was a real rollercoaster with my expectations, wow. And then we had a really sweet last word from Kanda to cap things off. I'm happy with that. Good series, I enjoyed it a lot.

Gale
Roid discussion 20 Oct 06:05
joined Aug 11, 2014

I love how Anna and Yui have same instincts when it comes to problem-solving. Yui encountered an immovable object! Solution? Build a cool robot arm out of scrap. Anna encountered an unstoppable force! Solution? Build a cool robot arm out of scrap! If it works, it works.

Gale
Yuru Oyako discussion 01 Oct 11:12
joined Aug 11, 2014

All morning, it's "Sayaka" this, and "Sayaka" that, but then Yuuki calls her "mom" again and that's when her heart skips. Somehow, that makes it feel even more scandalous, lmao.

joined Aug 11, 2014

Man, I've been kinda ambivalent about this series, but after that kiss, I'm all the way in. That's all it took. I'm so easy.

joined Aug 11, 2014

Feels really weird, at the moment. Like, I don't get the choice to immediately jump ahead to the nth day of them acting as lovers, where Renako is already tired of it and refusing to play along, and Mai being mildly flirty has no impact because we don't have a baseline for her "normal" behaviour. If all the same events happened, except this had been a "friend" day and Mai had left on the promise that she'd be stepping things up from tomorrow on, then we'd have a bit of intrigue and anticipation going, but instead...

I dunno, maybe they're still building things up, but I'm not really invested in them as a couple yet. They're attracted to each other, yeah, but it doesn't feel like they're on the same wavelength at all. It's like they're reading from different scripts.

Gale
Liberty discussion 25 Aug 14:26
joined Aug 11, 2014

Lmao, I dunno. On the one hand, senpai is a horrible person. On the other hand, if she actually succeeds here, and manages to trick Maki into breaking up with Liz? For reasons that are entirely false, but to Maki, would at least feel noble and self-sacrificing? It would be the nicest thing anyone in this story has done for Maki so far.

Just think about it! This is an incredible chance, for her! If she walks away now and never learns the truth, then she will:
1: Finally get off of Liz's wild ride once and for all
2: Maintain some sense of dignity, at least in her own mind if not in reality
3: Be able to look back on this relationship through rose-tinted glasses as a great love affair that simply wasn't meant to be, instead of the revolving door of mundane indignities and gross betrayals it actually is.

I'm serious, this could genuinely be the best thing that's happened to Maki since she met Liz. Like, I'm kind of joking, in the sense that I find this incredibly funny and I'm laughing while I write, but I also genuinely think that it's true. Obviously it's not ideal - ideally, Maki would grow a spine and leave of her own accord after learning the truth, or Liz would grow a sense of self-awareness and realise how awful she's been. But I don't think either of those are actually likely to happen, whereas I feel like the author might actually be edgy and melodramatic enough to make them break up over this, so I'm kinda hoping for the best, here.

last edited at Aug 25, 2020 2:30PM

joined Aug 11, 2014

Hime's ending is... I dunno. Fine, I guess. I was more or less expecting it. What I wasn't expecting, even from this manga, was for Akira to be given exactly one frame of epilogue, and then getting defined by her hopes for someone else's kid. Like, what the fuck? Okay, so she became a stylist. I guess I can see it, though I'm not sure it lines up with... anything... she ever did or said in the story. But, fine, whatever, your job doesn't have to be a poetic culmination of your character arc. So what has she done with her life? What has she done, in the intervening years? How has she been affected by the story?

...Nothing? She's a beautician? That's it? That's all we get? About a character who was more central to the story than the ostensible protagonist? Really? She just went on existing as a foil for other people to have character development through, huh? That's all she ever was, I guess. I should have seen it coming.

Gale
Image Comments 29 Jul 19:10
joined Aug 11, 2014
Ew2noehuwaejywn-orig

@SushiKnight
Oh, totally. I definitely think in terms of "Byleth" and "m!Byleth". For that matter, I have, on occasion, completely forgotten that m!Byleth exists, lmao. I still have a tiny moment of confusion whenever I see him in fanart by himself, and not as Byleth's - uh, f!Byleth's - twin, or parallel self. I think he mainly exists in my head as Dimitri's boyfriend, at this point.

joined Aug 11, 2014

Ritsuko: “C’mon, Non-chan—we’re going out to a lesbian bar!”

Lmao, I had the same thought.

Gale
Image Comments 20 Jul 22:10
joined Aug 11, 2014
Dasdsa

This is absolutely their canon relationship, I dare anyone to say otherwise.

Gale
Image Comments 17 Jul 21:37
joined Aug 11, 2014
Ebxuiqjueaajkru-orig%20(1)

Oh, so something like... They both grew up in the same crappy group home, but Adora is a "delinquent" because she gets into fights with bullies and stands up to asshole teachers, while Catra is a grade-A honour student who's a total bitch to everyone because she's secretly afraid that people will judge her - or worse, PITY her - if they find out she comes from an institution. They promise to run against each other for student body president in the spirit of friendly rivalry, but after Catra runs herself ragged campaigning for votes, Adora gets disqualified from the race and suspended from school after she gets caught breaking curfew to distribute food to the homeless with Glimmer, her new foster sister. Catra holds a grudge about this for ages, constantly bickering and flirt-fighting with Adora at every opportunity, until Adora eventually breaks her free from the clutches of the cruel but well-connected principal, and through the restorative, affirming process of being gay and doing crimes, they finally get together.

joined Aug 11, 2014

Y'know, sometimes I forget, but in chapters like this, the Mochi just leaps off the page. Like, they turned that Mochi all the way up. Chapter 10 was so Mochi, I was half-expecting Ookuma's video call with her parents to reveal that they've actually been sisters this whole time.

joined Aug 11, 2014

some context anyone?

Basically, the first half of Three Houses is a high school mystery, where the three different classes have a friendly rivalry, while the second half of Three Houses is a grim war drama, where the three classes have all split up and joined the armies of their respective nations. If a student joins your class in the first half, they'll stay with your chosen army the second.

That can create situations like this. Hilda and Marianne started out in the same class, and are shown to be very close, but if you recruit one and not the other, then they're pretty much doomed to stand on opposing sides of the battlefield eventually. This is especially true in the case of Hilda, since she will absolutely refuse to join you if you make certain choices, and will fight to the death where certain other former students might surrender.

last edited at Jul 5, 2020 5:39AM

joined Aug 11, 2014

What is so amazing. lol. I love-love art and design, so one full chapter talks volumes about it and about world building. Because manga is not a book, it have concrete visual design, which is fundamental language in this media.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I actually think it's extremely shallow to think you can take one passing glimpse of a story and immediately understand how complex or well-realised its worldbuilding is, especially when you're so quick to dismiss the few deliberate and revealing design choices that are already on display as lazy shortcuts.

It's a story primarily about its characters, why they make the choices they make, and how their ability to imagine better possibilities for themselves is shaped by the world they live in. It's about the fact that seemingly shallow people are often made that way by their circumstances, and they often have a lot more going on under the surface that you might not see on first glance. The worldbuilding plays a major role in that, but it's not as immediately important as introducing you to the characters and relationships around which the entire story revolves. It's not a bad thing for an author to have different priorities than you.

joined Aug 11, 2014

I am not talking about historical accuracy, lol. Where you read it? But solid and interesting fantasy design requires some hard work, and this mangaka and many more authors excuse themself from it using “this is shitty otome game, what do you expect” This is existing level of lazy isakai’s. And this is sad, for me.

I'm amazed you can discern the breadth and depth of a story's worldbuilding based on a single chapter focused on introducing the characters, the premise, and nothing else.

Gale
Suito-to! discussion 27 May 19:36
joined Aug 11, 2014

Lmao, I love her little "yet" at the end, there. She just can't help it. She knows which way the wind is blowing.

Gale
Image Comments 26 May 09:13
joined Aug 11, 2014
Eyttmgxxyacgwbb-orig

God, I'm so glad that older Catra with a ponytail exists. She looks so fucking good. Especially with that formal jacket hanging off her shoulder? Amazing. Could not be more gay for that if I tried. I only wish there was more of it.