Forum › Bright and Cheery Amnesia discussion

Nuku_nuku_13
joined Aug 27, 2013

Ch.33 Lewd Princess Carry! Woo hoo!
I forgot this is all a flashback of returning memories. Still cute though, as always!
Anime when?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I know this has nothing to do with the content of them getting/being together, but a line of text in this chapter got me thinking: are there any bridges that cross over oceans? I know some cross seas and channels, but is there a bridge that crosses an entire ocean?

How does Japanese vocabulary distinguish between “sea” and “ocean”? Because obviously there are some enormous bridges crossing the Inland Sea.

English often doesn’t make much of that distinction outside of technical contexts, and idiomatically, “Bridges over rivers and seas” strikes me as a bit awkward, or at least no less awkward than “oceans.”

last edited at May 1, 2019 2:25PM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Technically, there's only one ocean anyway. It's all connected; people just arbitrarily divided it up. ^^

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

I also subscribe to that "a job's a job" school of thought. More power to you if you have a passion, but I picked the most lucrative profession I could so I could go home and read manga/play video games on the weekends.

Ditto. My wife is more of the follow your passion type, and I've been the breadwinner for our entire relationship and she's constantly unhappy about how little she's able to contribute financially (I assure her it's no big deal, I mean we're a team, and we're comfortable, no sense in keeping score).

That's all good and well if you have enough mental resilience to not be ultimately worn down to an emotionally dead husk by just how much you hate the job that you're doing... which, of course, depends on what kind of job you took in the first place.

How does Japanese vocabulary distinguish between “sea” and “ocean”? Because obviously there are some enormous bridges crossing the Inland Sea.

In Japanese, 海 can mean both "sea" and "ocean", but is more commonly understood as the former, whereas the latter is AFAIK more commonly denoted by various combinations of kanji, e.g. 海洋 (kaiyou), 大洋 (taiyou), 遠洋 (en'you), and others.

Technically, there's only one ocean anyway. It's all connected; people just arbitrarily divided it up. ^^

Aye, even the scientists who deal in pertinent subjects understand this much, to the point of having an official term for it.

last edited at May 1, 2019 9:15PM

Sanya Juutilainen
Ava_256
joined Apr 8, 2019

I know this has nothing to do with the content of them getting/being together, but a line of text in this chapter got me thinking: are there any bridges that cross over oceans? I know some cross seas and channels, but is there a bridge that crosses an entire ocean?

English often doesn’t make much of that distinction outside of technical contexts, and idiomatically, “Bridges over rivers and seas” strikes me as a bit awkward, or at least no less awkward than “oceans.”

I think the extra "over rivers and seas" is there only because originally, without seeing the kanji (in speech, that is), the word has multiple meaning - hashi (bridge, 橋) can easily be chopsticks (箸) as well. It's like:

"I like looking at pupils"
"Pupils?"
"Like circular pupils in eyes"

as in these examples tend to be fairly weird and literal by themselves, in an effort to clarify better.

runrin Staff
Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

Not sure about this, but I think Arisa might be gay.

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

Not sure about this, but I think Arisa might be gay.

After the hundredth time, the joke kind of loses it's spark if delivered in such crude way.

Doing what you like for a living is not that good of an idea if you don't work on your own, or have a position of relative power, as those in the gaming industry can attest. If a pawn under shitty bosses, you'll most likely end up hating what you once loved.

By the way, I wonder how long is this flashback taking in "real life", would they still be in the altar at this point, or once again at the hospital bed?

last edited at May 2, 2019 1:10PM

Daedelus_Muse
joined Nov 1, 2018

Her life is flashing through her eyes. She about to die from gay, right during their wedding, no less.

The greatest death.

Then out spake wise Arisa
(Whose words I here translate)
"Death will to all weebs come,
be it soon or late.
And what better death can one have, than recalling yuri lewds,
while handholding your waifu, and imagining her nude."

last edited at May 2, 2019 4:34PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Producers look at what's currently selling and/or polling well and what gaps they have in their programming schedules, and they try to find a popular series that fits a hole in their offerings. Once they've decided what they want, (shounen anime, late night seinen anime, etc) they start looking for manga that fit the mold. If they can't find one, they either broaden their niche or start looking into creating an original program. If an anime company has ties to a manga publisher, they might be more likely to pick something from what they have, but ultimately it depends more on what they're looking for. Sometimes, if a manga publisher is really confident about the popularity of a series, they might go courting anime publishers, but that's relatively unusual.

TLDR: They go looking for popular series that fit the mold of what they already want to publish.

I see. So what are the chances of this getting an anime?

That's hard to say, TBH. Yuri anime has been getting something of a renaissance lately, and Tamamusi is pretty prolific and seems fairly popular? But anime tends to have a young audience, and adult life stuff like this, especially a dopey comedy 4koma series, seems like kind of a hard sell. I wouldn't hold my breath on it, but maybe if the sales figures for the tanks are high? I haven't seen any sales or readership data, so I'm just spitting in the wind by trying to guess.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

That depends on what you mean, but if I take your intent correctly, no. I mean, technically a bay is part of the ocean, so bay bridges like the Golden Gate technically "cross the ocean", but since you mention seas and channels distinctly, I'm taking that to mean that you mean a bridge across a longer span.

Longest bridge in the world stretches across a lake in China, and it's only about 100mi long. (160km) That's not shabby, but it's not close to the kind of length you're implying.

Unnamed
joined Nov 6, 2018

It's been over a month. There's got to be new chapter soon, right?

Unnamed
joined Nov 6, 2018

YES!!! IT'S BACK!!!

whitenight2013
Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

It's like this manga has gone back to chapter 1 without the amnesia gimmick. In other words, this manga has become a 2 in 1 special and I love it.

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

Next chapter please!
Oh, and a small fry.
I like how manager-san is totally on board with Arisa x Mari.

joined Jan 6, 2017

The more we see of pre-amnesia Arisa, the more I start to think that top Arisa was just Mari's imagination

mei is waifu
Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

For some reason, I feel a little happy to hear that...I wonder why...?

Happy Pride Month.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Love the manager. :D

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

It feels like it's just dragging on now, we get to Mari x Arisa then we always get to square one

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

The more we see of pre-amnesia Arisa, the more I start to think that top Arisa was just Mari's imagination

Na- she is easily flustered and embarrassed and overwhelmed yes- she is still in school here and Mari is nearly finishing college - but you can see she has TONS of determination to get what she wants- she's unstoppable lol- and she is going for it.

I can see how she'd become once she won the right to have her desires realised with Mari. Being a top doesn't always mean to be self assured and confident, and or dominating etc- She instead has a kind of unwavering straightforward, simple minded desire.

Look how enthusiastic she is - the only thing stopping her being all over Mari is her refusing her so far.

Mari seems the most different to me- because her shyness comes from the romantic / sex stuff, and she doesn't yet feel those things.

last edited at Jun 7, 2019 7:08AM

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

Mari seems the most different to me- because her shyness comes from the romantic / sex stuff, and she doesn't yet feel those things.

Her last line also strongly implies that she's not even aware that she's not heterosexual but rather is homosexual.

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

Well, after the amnesia thing, Arisa went back to this stage, right before meeting Mari, so the personalities match. It was sometime in the 3 years between now and start of the story that Arisa learned how to top.

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

AWWWW. :D

Unnamed
joined Nov 6, 2018

Remember, Saki hasn't taught her about "dirty things" yet.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bright_and_cheery_amnesia_ch12#6

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Remember, Saki hasn't taught her about "dirty things" yet.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bright_and_cheery_amnesia_ch12#6

Well, honestly, thanks for reminding me. Now I won't be able to stop laughing for at least 2 minutes.

Budokan2
joined Jan 13, 2015

Arisa is super adorbs~! <3

To reply you must either login or sign up.