Forum › Dear Flowers That Bloom in Days of Yore discussion

1642952171385
joined Mar 10, 2024

This manga has purified my soul and granted me eternal happiness. This chapter was breathtaking as well.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

The panel of Haruyo's hand in Kasumi's hair made me feel intense emotions

joined Jan 14, 2020

daisuki Venn diagram in TL notes \o/

joined Jan 14, 2020

Also did you fucks seriously bully temp off here?

There was some disagreement with temp's writing; I don't think it came anywhere near bullying.

Prprcharlotte_8
joined Apr 1, 2013

This manga makes me feel so many nice emotions. That use of the "I care" is very meaningful for me. It reminds me of my relationship with my girlfriend because before we were together, we used to say that...too scared to say more but wanting to get the feeling across still. It is really a wholesome story. Thanks for all the hard work in translation!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Also did you fucks seriously bully temp off here?

There was some disagreement with temp's writing; I don't think it came anywhere near bullying.

I believe that person’s username may have indicated how long they intended to engage in this forum.

Marquis%20[icon]
joined Feb 28, 2013

Man, I love this so much. It's such a love letter to early yuri manga.

Nyarin
joined Mar 20, 2012

The author posts cute drawings on their BSKY. https://bsky.app/profile/nishi55.bsky.social

3737720892d1604e82a1e6a88a44b5f5
joined Jul 29, 2024

The author posts cute drawings on their BSKY. https://bsky.app/profile/nishi55.bsky.social

I am very tempted to create an account so that I can appreciate the cute drawings, but maybe they'll get uploaded here someday

joined May 27, 2025

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/dear_flowers_that_bloom_in_days_of_yore_ch08#15
Beautiful panel, thank you translators for letting us enjoy such beauty.

BLAMEY Uploader
Satsuaki
noighd
joined Oct 9, 2021

The author posts cute drawings on their BSKY. https://bsky.app/profile/nishi55.bsky.social

I am very tempted to create an account so that I can appreciate the cute drawings, but maybe they'll get uploaded here someday

I do plan to translate collections of Igarashi's Bluesky sketches after I'm caught up. Probably along with each volume's extras (another thing I keep putting off).

Zoolooman_lesbians_good_for_them%20(2)
joined Mar 10, 2023

I love this precisely because it takes Class S elements and moves them beyond the strictures that bounded the historical genre. it starts with a exploration of a particular, culturally defined pair of roles and relates them back to contemporary queerness. This is so, so, so good. <3

The latest chapter in particular really sealed my confidence that we will examine the sexuality of the characters, divorced from the genre's tropes. Roleplaying Class S is a path to self-expression, but there is a joy in trying to move beyond it, to express the sexual or romantic element that the original roleplay would explicitly ignore or downplay for comphet purposes.

In short, I'm hoping--and beginning to believe--that this will also be about figuring out the feelings of two young girls in love, with all the human messiness and complications that implies.

20230811_115727_adobe_express
joined Sep 21, 2019

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/dear_flowers_that_bloom_in_days_of_yore_ch07#7

GOSH I HAVEN'T READ SUCH A GAY PAGE IN

...maybe like a few days. To be fair, I'm on Dynasty every other day, so I have the privilege to be able to think that pretty frequently.

BUT THIS IS SO GAY. Not even in a dirty way (though admittedly Ch8's Kasumi does actually say she means it in a somewhat dirty way), it's just that it's so... loaded. She's embarrassed not only by the physical action, but by the role switching, by embodying in real life what they'd kept up in letters for so long... it's precious. Page 9 is a treat too, she's so smug.

Also woah, they didn't break character even in thought bubbles in the first half of Ch8?! Dang... but that implies she did in the second half, right? Saying something in a way, but thinking of it in another.


https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/dear_flowers_that_bloom_in_days_of_yore_ch08#23

Small typo, "Sumi-chan? What's is it?" should be "Sumi-chan? What is it?"

I really love how the translators are handling the changing of register. You can immediately tell when she's switched tones to her onee-sama persona here.

last edited at Aug 13, 2025 7:46PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/dear_flowers_that_bloom_in_days_of_yore_ch07#7

GOSH I HAVEN'T READ SUCH A GAY PAGE IN

...maybe like a few days. To be fair, I'm on Dynasty every other day, so I have the privilege to be able to think that pretty frequently.

BUT THIS IS SO GAY. Not even in a dirty way (though admittedly Ch8's Kasumi does actually say she means it in a somewhat dirty way), it's just that it's so... loaded. She's embarrassed not only by the physical action, but by the role switching, by embodying in real life what they'd kept up in letters for so long... it's precious. Page 9 is a treat too, she's so smug.

Also woah, they didn't break character even in thought bubbles in the first half of Ch8?! Dang... but that implies she did in the second half, right? Saying something in a way, but thinking of it in another.

Lol, yeah, this isn't at all what places like Mangadex mean when they tag something as "SUGGESTIVE," it's just incredibly, um, suggestive.

Answers the question, "What if the Marimite 'straightening the little sister's school ribbon' trope was NSFW?"

Fwerpng
joined Jul 25, 2017

Blimey this turned into such a banger ヽ⁠(⁠*゚⁠ー゚⁠*⁠)⁠ノ

Mariya%20and%20karin%202
joined Nov 27, 2022

this is insanely romantic. i'm sold. like, i'm already a sucker for class S-inspired stories (marimite, anyone?) as well as the rose/candy yuri dynamic (rose being the older girl who's mature, reserved, probably has some kind of emotional baggage that closes her off, and candy being the younger girl who's naive and sincere). huge thank you to the scanlator, i'm bookmarking this one

Im hearing all sorts of terms for the first time. Ive been reading yuri for a few years but am unfamiliar with "class s" if anyone could fill me in!

Also my first experience with rose/candy pairing was the anime Strawberry Panic lol. We rarely get the slow burn that amounts to very little anymore, since queerness can be more openly displayed rather than settling for subversive undertones, but I appreciated it for its place being it came out in 2006. Had the aesthetic of clear older-younger girl pairings but all subtext.

Edit: wow! Just educated myself a little on the history of shoujo/yuri manga, the creation of "Class S" tied to all girls schools and arranged marriages, and lesbian authors and activists who kept it alive after it was banned in Japan in 1936. Right on! I love lesbians. This tumblr post was an easy read: https://www.tumblr.com/ani-mentation/121601661502/the-history-of-yuri-part-1-before-there-was

last edited at Aug 14, 2025 1:31AM

Hanasakukawaii_small
joined Mar 20, 2014

this is insanely romantic. i'm sold. like, i'm already a sucker for class S-inspired stories (marimite, anyone?)

I always thought Marimite is a weird one. Yes, it has all the surface elements of a Class S story (sisterly bonds, rosaries and the like), but almost none of the elements that make Class S so distinctive. Most classic Class S stories have a heart of love, longing and outright lust, and Marimite has almost none of that. It's mostly the antics of high school girls who like role-playing Class S tropes, but there's no there there, if you know what I mean.

The few times Marimite seems to be going into a more romantic direction it gets treated as if it's something to be avoided, such as Sei's backstory. It's also telling that by the end the only official couples are heterosexual ones.

Strawberry Panic, for all its silliness, seems to get al least the romantic and lustful part of Class S right.

3737720892d1604e82a1e6a88a44b5f5
joined Jul 29, 2024

The author posts cute drawings on their BSKY. https://bsky.app/profile/nishi55.bsky.social

I am very tempted to create an account so that I can appreciate the cute drawings, but maybe they'll get uploaded here someday

Creating an account and following the artist is best imo, liking/sharing their work and so forth. I want artists to keep engaging with blue sky and build up their followings, the less artists engage with twitter the better >.>

You make a very good point about supporting artists directly, I'll definitely create an account now

Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

help

this manga is trying to kill me with how fucking cute it is

youdontknowwho
Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

Someone pointed out that bottom left panel on page 22 looks like hanging and now I can't unsee it.

Edit: meant the bottom right panel. I subconsciously described it through Kasumi's POV.

last edited at Aug 14, 2025 11:03PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Someone pointed out that bottom left panel on page 22 looks like hanging and now I can't unsee it.

That is an odd one (although I think you mean the right panel?). We’ve seen the overhead lighting in the corridors before, but I believe that previously the pendant lamps have always had those round globes. It’s hard to tell the exact shapes of the lamps in the bottom two panels on page 22, but the panel with Haruyo makes it obvious that they aren’t the usual globes. So the “hanging” effect very well could be subtly symbolic—there has been similar imagery in this series before.

On the other hand, Igarashi doesn’t seem to be entirely consistent about the details of the school’s architecture—sometimes in exterior views all the windows are arched while other times the bottom story’s windows are rectangular and only the second story windows are arched.

The varying treatment of backgrounds is one of the things I really like about the visual storytelling here. Lots of backgrounds are entirely blank, other panels have figurative or expressionistic textures, some scenes have extremely detailed backgrounds, and sometimes details are dropped out for compositional effect, as on page 24, where the ceiling lamps are omitted entirely.

I’ve said before that this series combines some world-class fluff with more than a bit of dark themes and sinister visual subtext. Maybe it’s time to start a list of “hanging” imagery, and see if anything eventually comes of it. I’d almost be inclined to include this one:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/dear_flowers_that_bloom_in_days_of_yore_ch07#1

Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

I’ve said before that this series combines some world-class fluff with more than a bit of dark themes and sinister visual subtext. Maybe it’s time to start a list of “hanging” imagery, and see if anything eventually comes of it. I’d almost be inclined to include this one:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/dear_flowers_that_bloom_in_days_of_yore_ch07#1

I'd say these two pages from chapter 4 are even more ominous, especially the second one when her friend's suicide was brought up
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/dear_flowers_that_bloom_in_days_of_yore_ch04#1
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/dear_flowers_that_bloom_in_days_of_yore_ch04#27

joined Jul 17, 2019

This is possibly my favorite manga on the site, and I've been here a while! And while we are making predictions, I'm surprised no one is talking about the graffiti rose that so conveniently happened to be at their new meeting point. I keep thinking, are the odds really so low that someone else saw their letter exchange in that book? Maybe they've got an ally, could even be painting girl. But of course, that's just speculation for now

last edited at Aug 15, 2025 3:33PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This is possibly my favorite manga on the site, and I've been here a while! And while we are making predictions, I'm surprised no one is talking about the graffiti rose that so conveniently happened to be at their new meeting point. I keep thinking, are the odds really so low that someone else saw their letter exchange in that book? Maybe they've got an ally, could even be painting girl. But of course, that's just speculation for now

Good point. I certainly noticed it and wondered, but I don’t know what to link it to except the MC’s name and her use of rose-themed stationery.

As you say, the art girl almost can’t be just a random detail, but at this point what she’s about is totally unknown.

I thought the fact that the hidden letter was in volume 2 of the collection was a nice little touch—it’s unlikely that anyone who didn’t care for the S-class theme would have picked up that specific book. (Library books notoriously can have years or even decades between one checkout and the next.)

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

this is insanely romantic. i'm sold. like, i'm already a sucker for class S-inspired stories (marimite, anyone?) as well as the rose/candy yuri dynamic (rose being the older girl who's mature, reserved, probably has some kind of emotional baggage that closes her off, and candy being the younger girl who's naive and sincere). huge thank you to the scanlator, i'm bookmarking this one

I am more or less familiar with class S, but I hadn't heard of the rose/candy dynamic. That's a good label for part of the depth and nuance in their relationship. Kasumi is essentially a rose who plays at being a candy as a form of escapism while Haruyo is the opposite, a candy playing as a rose.

It ties really well into their underlying reasons behind seeking out this class S relationship. Haruyo is infantilized by being the youngest sibling and casually by the way her friends treat her and sought to become more mature, being in control and relied on by others was her fantasy when writing these letters. Kasumi is burdened by the death of her friend, and feels an acute lack of support, probably tied into her identity as the eldest sibling in her family. She seeks out the class S relationship because she wants a space where she doesn't have to be the strong/resilient person, she desperately needs a place to be openly weak and express all those emotions she's been bottling up.

To reply you must either login or sign up.