Forum › Ohana Holoholo discussion
Ughhh what a great epilogue. The previous one was great too seeing all the side characters' loose ends getting wrapped up like seeing Hidesuke reconnecting with this daughter. That was such a heartwarming moment.
But yeah seeing time skips from the perspective of the kids all grown up just hits the heart in that special way. I really liked how it was from Hiyori's perspective as a 3rd party. Hiyori grew up to be so tall! Which I guess makes sense seeing how tall and lanky her grandma was haha. I like how it didn't brush Yuuta's problems he faced while growing up under the rug, and showed him taking the time to figure it out on his own with this supportive family behind him.
Wish we got to see more of this future, but I'm so happy to be able to have finally finished reading this series. Hard to believe it's already been 10 years, but it was worth the wait. Thanks again for everyone who worked on scanlating this series and for Gouma-den for picking it up so we could finally see the end!
Such a good end! Sad to see it go, but it was nice seeing Yuuta all grown up and a pretty happy ending.
what a beautiful story. Odd time skip but understandable
This work is truly remarkable. It had so many different aspects packed together in one continuous story. That is something that I don't see much. Also the way it all drew together in the end was a really great way of story telling. I will remember this piece for a long time. It was a real blast to read and I am so thankful, that it got picked up again for translation and brought to the end. A huge thank you to the translators!
Why would she do that - because she likes Maya and understands that she might lose her.
Do you know what a great way to lose the person you like? Disappearing without a trace and then showing up years later with a kid just because the kid's dad died and now you need someone to help you.
That's not what happened, they've meet each other again by chance. And Maya was the one who offered help and not the other way.
god like, someone offered up the possibility that Maya may be trans several chapters and years ago now, and holy shit, this chapter with it's "only a few people called me by that name" in addition to everything else that other people have noticed from previous chapters. No way there's a cis explanation for this one haha
There's. She meant by first name.
Also nobody was surprised (she never was on a reunion since school.)
wait what? I already finished this story, and damn correct me if I wrong but,looks like kei ntr'ed nico and knocked up michiru while dating with him??what the crap, I dropped my jaw when kei mentioned he got michiru pregnant after doing it a fucking "COUPLE OF TIMES" yup it's not just a one night stand but A.FUCKING.COUPLE.OF.TIMES.*sigh*
sometimes I really tink maya is too good for michiru like the immature girl doesn't even deserve her a bit.
T-T. I so feel her pain for getting used of being abandoned.
Love is not about what you deserve. It's about what you feel for another person and what they feel for you. You don't need to "earn" the right to be in love and express that love. It's sort of a central theme of the entire manga lol. And god what an incredibly good manga it is.
wrt the trans theories, I think it's intentionally written as ambiguous on the part of the author, and personally the trans explanation for Maya's motivations and changes makes the most sense. She was very butch presenting in high school, and over time as we see her in different points of her life in the various short little flashback snippets we see, she gets more and more feminine. If she was a cis woman, this change in appearance would perfectly align with her boxing herself up and molding herself for social expectations to avoid being hurt, rather than her personal desires for how she wants to be. However, if that were the case, she'd be back to being butch in the epilogue, where she's decided to be who she wants to be rather than what society expects she should be. Instead she's more femme than ever. Maya being trans just fits so well with the things she experiences, the things she feels, and the framing of a bunch of things in her life that are left far more vague than Michiru's past is.
Also a bunch of smaller details rather than overarching character analysis: 1) She's flat chested in high school and in the story's present has the biggest bust out of any character in the manga 2) That extremely important high school memory with the Prez is about playing Viola from 12th Night, a girl who has to pretend to be a boy but gets to transform into her true self as a girl at the end. That's a super clear metaphor lol. 3) In between when we last see her as flat chested and a few years later when she's not, she was "overseas" for some time, during which time her parents disowned her by removing her name (the one those parents gave her) from the family registry.
All of this is potentially deniable. But I don't know why anyone would be particularly motivated to bother when it's a better story when all these pieces fit together rather than just being random haphazard details. :P
Love is not about what you deserve. It's about what you feel for another person and what they feel for you. You don't need to "earn" the right to be in love and express that love. It's sort of a central theme of the entire manga lol. And god what an incredibly good manga it is.
wrt the trans theories, I think it's intentionally written as ambiguous on the part of the author, and personally the trans explanation for Maya's motivations and changes makes the most sense. She was very butch presenting in high school, and over time as we see her in different points of her life in the various short little flashback snippets we see, she gets more and more feminine. If she was a cis woman, this change in appearance would perfectly align with her boxing herself up and molding herself for social expectations to avoid being hurt, rather than her personal desires for how she wants to be. However, if that were the case, she'd be back to being butch in the epilogue, where she's decided to be who she wants to be rather than what society expects she should be. Instead she's more femme than ever. Maya being trans just fits so well with the things she experiences, the things she feels, and the framing of a bunch of things in her life that are left far more vague than Michiru's past is.
Also a bunch of smaller details rather than overarching character analysis: 1) She's flat chested in high school and in the story's present has the biggest bust out of any character in the manga 2) That extremely important high school memory with the Prez is about playing Viola from 12th Night, a girl who has to pretend to be a boy but gets to transform into her true self as a girl at the end. That's a super clear metaphor lol. 3) In between when we last see her as flat chested and a few years later when she's not, she was "overseas" for some time, during which time her parents disowned her by removing her name (the one those parents gave her) from the family registry.
All of this is potentially deniable. But I don't know why anyone would be particularly motivated to bother when it's a better story when all these pieces fit together rather than just being random haphazard details. :P
Jumping in a year late to note the additional circumstantial evidence that the author Shino Torino is trans (or at least a very, very supportive ally)—having included a trans pride flag in their Twitter display name for several years. https://x.com/sino_torino
Rather than Maya's past being left ambiguous, I posit that the way in which the subject is explored in the series is best read as a deep sign of respect from the author to their character. If Maya is a trans woman, she is living completely stealth and the light touch used by the author can be easily interpreted as a quite powerful way to affirm and support both Maya overcoming her past struggles and living her current lifestyle.
This theory does raise a complex issue for continued discussion, however; of how best to tag the series. On one hand there is no direct confirmation of a transgender character in the text of the work and not tagging the series as such could be viewed as a continuation of the author's own philosophy in regards to Maya's character. On the other hand though, including the tag would increase the visibility of the series for those seeking manga with transgender themes and characters and would help cement Ohana Holoholo as one of the only (if not the only) manga with a fully stealth trans character—increasing it's importance in the overall body of LGBT literature.
A possible "transgender subtext" tag could be used as a compromise, but that would still limit the series' overall visibility.
I would personally support this manga being tagged as trans. :)
I stopped by and re-read this manga again.
And.. I like how the characters in this manga could bring forward to their thoughts in speech.
Like they would question "why...?"
And instead of not saying a word and just be silence about it, they reveal their answers and their motif behinds.
And that expands my thoughts about why and be empathetic towards the decision they make.. I guess?
I learn something new .. today.
Am I the only person who finds that, Ohana Holoholo is actually a good manga to be adapted as live series?
The story, the progression, the plots and the characters are ground to earth and relatable.
last edited at Oct 24, 2024 12:52AM
It would definitely make a great live action drama, except how on earth are you gonna cast Yuuta? I could only ever really see this adapted as a movie that cuts the plot down to the core focus of Maya, Michiru, and Nico. That wouldn't be bad at all though, honestly I could use less Hidetaka and Mocchi on reread. I could use MORE Prez, I didn't notice last time I read this that she's Maya's first love and that's really fucking cute, but I doubt she'd make it into a movie version at all unfortunately.
last edited at Oct 24, 2024 6:22AM
I'm so glad I finally took the time to read this, it was adorable! I love a good slow burn ( • ̀ω•́ )✧ I was a bit confused about the "trans" tag after I finished reading but the comments opened my eyes! Maya is such a good character, she's my favorite.
Hey, trans theories are nice, but why is this manga tagged transgender? I look in that tag for characters who are trans, not slight trans coding. If it were about coding and ambiguous implication, I could put half the manga on this site in the trans tag. As it stands, Ohana Holoholo takes up more pagespace in the trans tag search results than most manga with actual trans people in them.
I as a trans person do not think the tagging of this series is a complex issue. I am one of the people alluded to, who is looking for trans themes in manga—this is an already tiring process made significantly more frustrating by people describing manga that lack trans characters, that don't engage with trans life, or distinctly trans feelings, as trans manga.
I'm a bit frustrated because I do love the manga a lot, but the tagging right now is too jarring and wrong for me to focus my comment on the series itself. I vote to remove the transgender tag from this manga without transgender people.
last edited at Jan 2, 2026 4:11PM
See, and it's the opposite opinion from me. As a trans woman who just read this, it's pretty clearly a trans narrative, and removing the tag would've kept me from finding it. Which would be an absolute disservice.
People always cry about wanting expertly crafted trans narratives - especially ones beyond coming out - and here we got it. Having her classmates go "oh, it's [deadname]!" would be a slight to the character. Having soccer bro go, "oh yeah you're trans!" would be embarrassingly ham fisted. And thank goodness we didn't vague descriptions of genetalia or some crap that's clearly out of place for this manga's tone.
I don't need to be spoon-fed. Maya's clearly trans
The tag's good, imo.
If we're willing to tag things based fully on subtextual headcanons, then can we at least make a trans subtext tag? Like you say, the tag is valuable to trans women who want a story like this, but to trans women who want actually unambiguous and intentional trans representation in a manga, like me, it's misleading and frustrating. That seriously damages its merits as a tag—tags are primarily meant to be a filter, after all. If we made a subtext tag, you could still find series you want and I wouldn't be misled about ones like this. It's honestly my only disappointment with Ohana Holoholo; if it had accurate tags, I'd have no bad things at all to say about reading the series. It's an all-time favorite that I was unfortunately given false advertising for.
I remember the subtext solution was offered earlier and I'm not sure why it wasn't taken in the end. I assume it'd be some work on the technical side of things, but as trans representation and trans media analysis both gain popularity, it's an elegant solution to a dilemma that'll only appear more and more frequently. Those who manage tags shouldn't have to deal with an extended debate every time there's differing opinions on if a character is or is not trans. They shouldn't have to disappoint one group for the other's sake every time they make that call.
last edited at Jan 2, 2026 4:08PM
About halfway through and this story is really interesting when it isnt trying to ship one of the female leads with a guy. Maya doesn't even seem interested in Hidesuke that way but at least you can argue it serves the "stability vs love" conflict going inside her. Mocchi confessing to Michiru was out of left field, doesn't add anything worthwhile, and has me worried this is going down the het / "yuri can't work" route.
The removal of the transgender tag is such bullshit ngl. The character really has to look at the reader and say I am trans for it not be subtext nowadays.
Yeah, I'm inclined to think the tag should have remained. It seems really straightforward to me, personally, even if there's no explicit declaration in the text. And precisely because there isn't a "subtext" tag, the "trans" tag should have stayed.
This manga is so timeless, I tear up every time I read it. ...I say that, but this was actually my first time rereading the story since I first read it back in 2021-22 and at the time I did not pick up on any of the trans theming at all. Coming back to this several years later and more mature than I was back then, it's incredible how much my view of the story changes from realizing Maya is trans.
Of course there's the "evidence", with her looking 'boyish' in high school, getting disowned by her family while 'studying abroad', her breast augmentation surgery, and the role she played in the theater (which I totally missed because I wasn't familiar with the play, thank you for pointing that out @Gabinomicon), the name Maya "not being used by many people", etc.
But on a far more fundamental level, Maya's entire character arc and her fears make a lot more sense in context of her being trans. Feeling like you are fundamentally worthless unless you can be useful to others, and that you'll be thrown away as soon as your use runs out, and the belief that your own desires and wishes are already guaranteed to be destroyed if you actually go after them. Running away and hurting herself because she thinks it's the only way to prevent other people from getting hurt. Feeling like you aren't the protagonist in your own life, and explicitly comparing yourself to kind helper characters like glinda the good witch because you can't imagine yourself as a human who's just as important as those around you.
All these aspects are things I've struggled with myself as a trans woman, and the context that Maya is trans makes everything about her character just click in such a way that it's impossible to see it as coincidental or unintentional. Of course she would try to erase herself from Yuuta's life and view herself only in terms of the liability she might present others, rather than going and trying to seize what she wants from life! She's been denied everything up to this point, whether it was school, her family, or even michiru in the past! The times she did do the things she wanted (ie transition) she lost her whole family! So of course she would have all these hang ups and try to repress her obvious feelings for Michiru, because if she acts on her desires again, she'll lose the new family that she's made! And of course, in the process of doing this she is actually pushing away that same family and resigning herself to a lifetime of repression and loneliness, while telling herself it's all for her family's (michiru and yuuta) sake!
The thematic resonance is too powerful to deny. What an incredible manga.
Hi, it's me again. 2 years later and back here once more, and you know what-- even if there was a "Trans Subtext" tag on DS as I initially proposed, I don't think I'd want to see it used on this series in place of the "Transgender" tag as before.
There is simply no more reasonable or more holistic explanation for all the various aspects of Maya's past and present other than her being a trans woman. I'm open to hearing if y'all can come up with any in good faith, but as far as I am presently concerned any denial of a trans narrative in the manga is either due to a lack of engagement with/literacy of the story, or a willful obstinance against trans representation (which I have happily not seen in this thread recently).
Moving to the discussion of tagging, yes, by the prescriptivist definition of "subtext" the trans narrative is subtextual. Maya, or others, at no point outright states that she is trans. However, very few on this site regularly use "subtext" in that manner and instead our common usage of the word, in tagging and discussion, revolves around the undeniable and significant existence of some level of deniability or ambiguousness in regard to the presence of queer identity (i.e. lesbian attraction) in the work.
As a community, we understand that it is not always necessary for such aspects to be stated or shown outright in order to exclude works from the "Subtext" tag and include them with the "Romance" tag, for example-- so why should Ohana Holoholo, a manga that has been widely, popularly, and positively discussed for its trans narrative, be excluded from this same shared understanding?
I completely understand the disappointment with the dearth of good, overtly-textual respresentation of trans women in manga and other media: especially that which is written with the same degree of love and care as the subtextual representation in Ohana Holoholo. But this grievance about trans representation more broadly, valid as it may be, is ultimately tangential or peripheral to the fact that Ohana Holoholo contains a trans narrative which stands beyond the level of "subtext" as commonly used in this community and should therefore be tagged accordingly with "Transgender".
Anyways, re-read this manga once again and ugh its sooo good. Still holding out hope for a live action adaptation, especially with so many other Japanese LGBTQ series receiving them recently!
last edited at Sep 12, 2026 5:18PM