Forum › How I Lose Bets With My Sadistic Gifted Childhood Friend and She Steals All of My Firsts discussion

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Currently reading the webnovel for this manga I'm a bit confused as at some point, the plot of the novel and the manga seemed to have diverged radically. Anyone who read the novel had the same experience?

On the topic of consent, I think the novel, by virtue of having extensive passages of Wakaba's internal monologue makes it a bit easier to understand and I do think that the tag of "dubious consent" is definitely the most appropriate as Wakaba herself is just constantly confused about why she does not push back against Komaki. She even acknowledges that she probably could just stop interacting with her but just plain doesn't want to do that and like 70% of the novel is just her trying to puzzle out what her relationship to and thoughts about Komaki actually are.
In short, it is dubious because Wakaba herself actually doesn't really know if she's consenting.

One thing I do find significant though and that sets this one apart from 100 days in my personal opinion is that there's still a sort of invisible line not to be crossed, despite what that previous poster with the panels might want to suggest. The tone in the novel too gets noticeably darker when Komaki first makes Wakaba undress and Wakaba is genuinely scared of what might happen, resolving that any actual sexual acts with Komaki would be a step too far and something she would need to resist. The fact that Komaki then DOESN'T step beyond that red line is significant I think, as it defuses the dark tension which has been INTENTIONALLY built up before that and implies that Komaki might, despite her demeanour, not be willing to do anything that would actually emotionally harm Wakaba.
In 100 days, on the other hand, that line is crossed in the infamous chapter mentioned by others here. Of course, the violated party then decides that she actually doesn't mind the line being crossed during/after the process, but it doesn't change the fact that that boundary was violated. I understand that we each have our own feelings about that scene and our distinct opinions, but as someone who was emotionally disturbed by that scene and had to drop the manga because of it, I personally (!) struggle to understand how it can be read as anything but rape, and if I had had that tag at the time of my reading the chapter, I might have been more emotionally prepared for what's to come and it wouldn't have been so disturbing. In any case, that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to enjoy that manga or have different readings of the scene, but I do think it is different than for example this story and I wonder if fans of 100 days aren't influenced in their reading of the scene by their knowledge about the (apparently plentiful) fluff to come later down the line.

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Currently reading the webnovel for this manga I'm a bit confused as at some point, the plot of the novel and the manga seemed to have diverged radically. Anyone who read the novel had the same experience?

Yeah, they make changes to accommodate the manga medium. It's certainly cuts out some good internal dialogue but that's the same with AdaShima. Sucks but there's only so much they can do with the shift in format. This adaptation could really use the internal dialogue since it sets more webs to unwind than 100 days. The entire story is also about unwinding those webs, while the "100 days" was just the opening premise to a traditional couple's story.

I wonder if fans of 100 days aren't influenced in their reading of the scene by their knowledge about the (apparently plentiful) fluff to come later down the line.

I doubt most people who read 100 days knew there was a LN and even less would have read them (which is normal for most LN to manga adaptations). I don't think it has an official English translation still either--I could be blanking. I certainly hadn't read the LNs then. The people who read the LNs as they released wouldn't know about future events until they came out as well. It's just a difference of opinion, as you said.

I would say 100 pretty much always leans "fluff," it just becomes almost sickeningly fluffy and increasingly so afterwards. It pretty much hits all the milestones people tend to want these couples to hit; but as always, it's fair to dislike the series.

last edited at Jul 28, 2024 11:10AM

Pfp2
joined Jan 11, 2022

I appreciate both this series and Arioto for different reasons but I'll just say right off the bat that I'm bias in favor of Arioto, this series is fine but as a poster pointed out the tones are quite different, Marika's internal dialogue is over the top tsundere (and at first in denial).

I think the only thing I would add to the comparison between these two series tone and "infamous" scene in Arioto is that before the two MCs start dating Marika is is the one that floats the idea of getting into sex work for money since she feels she is already being sexually harassed at her current job, Aya offers to pay for Marika instead and the logic Marika and Aya agree to is that Marika will "only" be selling herself to another high school girl and that since she's "So straight" it'll be a cakewalk. Of course there's far deeper emotions at play in the LN and learned later down the line but as far as Marika is concerned it's a transaction at first, until she starts to catch feelings.

_yuri_hime_14_clear_file
joined Oct 21, 2011

Just confess already!

joined Jan 14, 2020

Shuukara:

They break consent with each other all the time

For me the biggest problem has been (novel spoiler) when they bite each other hard enough to draw blood. At least once, Miyagi to Sendai, and I think other instances. That feels pretty far to me.

Arioto non-con: LN1/manga: So there's the LN1/manga scene, which starts rapey but ends ecstatically lovey-dovey; it should also be noted that's not the first time they have sex, Marika has been cumming in Aya's hands for a while, she just says sulkily that she doesn't want sex that particular day. Meanwhile Aya acts as if they're in a consensual non-consent relationship. LN5: Much later, there's a scene where Marika practically rapes Aya, assaulting her in the bar break room to feeble "not here" protests. Intermediate: Aya would love to have Marika as a total power exchange submissive and housepet, but won't force the issue. LNs 2 and 3 are basically 50% BDSM erotica. I think Aya does introduce a safeword later, though I don't recall it ever being used.

Oh man, good thing I used the Preview button, I got Discord spoiler bars confused with Dynasty forum spoilers.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Shuukara:

They break consent with each other all the time

For me the biggest problem has been (novel spoiler) when they bite each other hard enough to draw blood. At least once, Miyagi to Sendai, and I think other instances. That feels pretty far to me.

It's not a problem for me but it was one of the things I was thinking about when I wrote that. Clearly not something agreed upon before it was done, but less of an issue than the popcorn incident

joined Jan 14, 2020

Shuukara: the popcorn incident

Is that in MTL-only chapters, e.g. beyond ch 65 so far, or have I forgotten something already?

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Shuukara: the popcorn incident

Is that in MTL-only chapters, e.g. beyond ch 65 so far, or have I forgotten something already?

Part 14, so pretty early on.

joined Aug 11, 2022

I think the only thing I would add to the comparison between these two series tone and "infamous" scene in Arioto is that before the two MCs start dating Marika is is the one that floats the idea of getting into sex work for money since she feels she is already being sexually harassed at her current job, Aya offers to pay for Marika instead and the logic Marika and Aya agree to is that Marika will "only" be selling herself to another high school girl and that since she's "So straight" it'll be a cakewalk. Of course there's far deeper emotions at play in the LN and learned later down the line but as far as Marika is concerned it's a transaction at first, until she starts to catch feelings.

Hello....I am sorry to randomly butt in out of nowhere like this...But ACTUALLY!!!!

CORRECTION:
Marika from (100 days yuri manga) never pass around that idea, brought or float that idea...Her "2 friends" were the ones who brought that idea up of getting a sugar daddy (It fked up but her friends were probably just joking around) when Marika was lamenting and wondering if there are any good part-time jobs and she/Marika was hesitate at the idea but become somewhat interested at the possible chance of getting 10 grand (10,000 yen) at just having dinner with a sugar daddy [A stupid idea since often it is very dangerous depending on the person]. Marika says if she is going to get sexually harassed anyways may as well make 10 grand which is better (She quit her part-time job due to claims of sexual harassment from the manager).

Aya came onto Marika due to overhearing/Eavesdropping their conversation then being afraid that Marika might actually try to get a sugar daddy (Not sure if Marika was actually planning to or if she was just going along with her friend's joke/suggestion), thinking and being confident in her SEGGS skills lol...

Apologies for my nosy correction XD

last edited at Jul 28, 2024 11:48PM

joined Jun 16, 2024

So huuuuh... Why aren't they dating yet?

My guess: because Wakaba liked a boy once and Komaki thinks Wakaba is straight.

I've been thinking it was this for awhile now, since Wakaba liking a boy was apparently the trigger for Komaki becoming the way she is toward Wakaba, and I feel like the most recent chapter is practically confirming this.

I guess Komaki has never heard of bisexuals, or just been told that a person liking someone of the opposite sex one time doesn't mean they'll never be attracted to someone of the same sex, but I guess if she had this manga would've ended in the first chapter lol.

Pfp2
joined Jan 11, 2022

Hello....I am sorry to randomly butt in out of nowhere like this...But ACTUALLY!!!!

CORRECTION:
Marika from (100 days yuri manga) never pass around that idea, brought or float that idea...Her "2 friends" were the ones who brought that idea up of getting a sugar daddy (It fked up but her friends were probably just joking around) when Marika was lamenting and wondering if there are any good part-time jobs and she/Marika was hesitate at the idea but become somewhat interested at the possible chance of getting 10 grand (10,000 yen) at just having dinner with a sugar daddy [A stupid idea since often it is very dangerous depending on the person]. Marika says if she is going to get sexually harassed anyways may as well make 10 grand which is better (She quit her part-time job due to claims of sexual harassment from the manager).

Aya came onto Marika due to overhearing/Eavesdropping their conversation then being afraid that Marika might actually try to get a sugar daddy (Not sure if Marika was actually planning to or if she was just going along with her friend's joke/suggestion), thinking and being confident in her SEGGS skills lol...

No need to apologize! I may have misremembered. What I was trying to point out is that there is an understanding between Marika and Aya about Marika "Selling herself" to Aya and a contract being drawn up between the two that they both agree to, it doesn't justify that Aya went over the line but it is one of many factors that make the "infamous" scene not cut and dry.

Pfp2
joined Jan 11, 2022

CORRECTION:

I decided to just pull up a few quotes from the very first chapter to make sure I am not getting anything wrong.

After she’s done with her coffee, she slowly opened her mouth again, "I heard that you would accept compensated dating for 10,000 yen/day."

"Eavesdropping, huh. That's not a good hobby, you know?"
"Girls going out with each other? No way."
"...I did say that. What's so wrong with that? Also, you suck at imitating me."
"You see, I really hate people who are judgmental. Saying 'that can't be' even though they've never tried it."

Fuwa took three bills of 10,000 from the envelope and swayed them in front of my eyes.

"Just with this you can buy that bag, and the rest will be yours, just from being my compensated dating partner."

What's with this witch-like woman and her temptation. Somehow I can see a pair of horns and tail on her, damn, it suits her.

"No, but that's..."

Like a cat watching a ball of yarn, my eyes sway back and forth, following the 30,000 yen.

"For me to sell my body to Fuwa...It can't be."
"At least you won’t be in danger if your partner is someone like me."

Well, that might be true but...

You were right the idea did not originate with Marika, but as the text clearly states by the end Marika's conversation with Aya she has agreed to "Sell her body" and there is a "contract" drawn up between the two in this regard it's very similar to what I have read in Shuukura.

Speaking of which, Does anybody know where I can read a non MTL version of this series? (Not Arioto) I know there are there chapters on Awashi, but my google-fu isn't strong enough. Same goes for Shuukura.

last edited at Jul 29, 2024 9:51AM

joined Oct 22, 2018

rivals my ass these bitches GAY

last edited at Jul 29, 2024 1:02PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

https://amawashigroup.wordpress.com/translations/

Only a few chapters, the main push is ShuuKara.

joined Jan 14, 2020

What I was trying to point out is that there is an understanding between Marika and Aya about Marika "Selling herself" to Aya and a contract being drawn up between the two that they both agree to, it doesn't justify that Aya went over the line but it is one of many factors that make the "infamous" scene not cut and dry.

Yeah, I'd call it a poorly negotiated CNC situation. No safe word and no explicit refusal of safe word. Closer to RACK than SSC, but not very Risk Aware. Aya had one expectation ("I can do whatever I want for the duration") and Marika was just winging it and responding to things, can't even call it a clear expectation.

Could have ended very badly, but they got lucky.

AutumnWaterXIII
joined May 29, 2022

lol did she got jelly of a stuffed toy?

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

Why are people starting to spoiler Arioto in this, the two series have completely different motifs

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

i fw this heavy

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

But like

Komaki is so unappreciative of having MC in her life at all

To reply you must either login or sign up.