Forum › How I Lose Bets With My Sadistic Gifted Childhood Friend and She Steals All of My Firsts discussion

joined Oct 12, 2017

….. to be totally honest, I’m not 1000% sure what’s happening here. XD

What the heck happened with that boy that apparently ruined their friendship? Especially considering how very not-present he is now, and how Komaki is trying to very literally get into Wakaba’s pants at the arcade. O_o I can only assume it was some totally wild misunderstanding? Komaki taking a joke too far, not realizing she’d actually hurt Wakaba’s feelings?

joined Jul 31, 2022

Wakaba not realizing that Komaki is just into her and really jealous/immature sure is a dynamic lol. I'm not sure who's the less mature one between the two of them at this point

Insert el dorado gif haha

BOTH

Anyway, Komaki is fucking wild. This psuedo dubious-con stuff really isn't my jam but I just can't look away. They are both in love and Komaki is just vindictive and Wakaba is the densest material on earth. Incredible.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Mu posted:

What the heck happened with that boy that apparently ruined their friendship? Especially considering how very not-present he is now, and how Komaki is trying to very literally get into Wakaba’s pants at the arcade. O_o I can only assume it was some totally wild misunderstanding? Komaki taking a joke too far, not realizing she’d actually hurt Wakaba’s feelings?

I have a hunch that Wakaba had a crush on that guy and Komaki struck preemptively and "dated" him (middle school dating, so hand-holding at most) to prevent Wakaba from straying too far from her.

"Better be hated than forgotten" I guess.

That's why Wakaba resented her.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Wakaba not realizing that Komaki is just into her and really jealous/immature sure is a dynamic lol. I'm not sure who's the less mature one between the two of them at this point

At this pace, they're gonna be married and have grandkids before either of them admits they have feelings for the other.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Mu posted:

I have a hunch that Wakaba had a crush on that guy and Komaki struck preemptively and "dated" him (middle school dating, so hand-holding at most) to prevent Wakaba from straying too far from her.

"Better be hated than forgotten" I guess.

That's why Wakaba resented her.

Yeah, just look at Komaki's eyes during that flashback as she stares back at Wakaba. She was definitely challenging Wabaka there, the same way she's challenging her now. That wasn't a real relationship and that guy is unimportant. Doubt he'll ever show up or be meaningfully mentioned.

last edited at Apr 6, 2024 7:13AM

Primary%20avatar
joined May 15, 2021

Honestly, this is just depressing at this point. WAKABA, THE GIRL LOVES YOU AND MISSES YOU.

last edited at Apr 6, 2024 12:16PM

Tail_nap_by_twokinds-dc7pz78
joined Aug 11, 2016

She got so jealous of a stuffed to she wanted a kiss to feel superior to it lol

joined May 10, 2021

That's the face of someone who wants to ravage her girl.
Thanks for the chapter!

joined May 10, 2021

That's the face of someone who wants to ravage her girl.
Thanks for the chapter!

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

how's every character manage to be so dislikable here

joined Feb 17, 2018

Two characters, both alike in dignity, which is none

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Two characters, both alike in dignity, which is none

I'm cackling. Thank you.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Yuri is generally written from an abstracted point of view where the audience is not necessarily intended to involve themselves personally in the media at all. Even wall-kun otaku are getting too personal with it.

What do you mean "abstracted point of view"? Of course 1st person POV visuals don't make sense in a manga format! The narration is still happening in first person, so please don't tell me you can't determine which character is the POV here.

I hate this kind of attitude where people try to make yuri out to be more exotic than it really is. Female characters are not suddenly more "abstract" or "removed" just because they're gay! Lesbians and all sorts of women create and read yuri all the time, and this might be shocking to hear, but they sometimes relate it to their own experiences. If you refuse to empathize with a character just because she loves women, that's your choice. But it doesn't mean the character, story or the whole genre was designed to be alien, unrelatable or impersonal.

A massive staple of romance for straight women is the passive "good girl" lead and the aggressive "bad boy" love interest, and nobody pretends to not know who the reader is supposed to identify with. But supposed "yuri enjoyers" encounter the exact same dynamic, just with two women, and seem to become illiterate on the spot. They see a sentence like "lately she's been kissing me every time we met" in the narration box, and argue it is not the good girl protagonist talking, but some kind of mysterious, disembodied voice of unknown origin. Like we're observing the mating dance of some strange animals, narrated by David Attenborough.

last edited at Apr 9, 2024 11:11PM

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

^^^ really excellent post -- I really wanted to say something at the time, and you said it far better than I would. The not-like-the-other-girls stuff about proshippers aside, when I see people still trying to police away any detectable trace of female desire from the genre it always gives me flashbacks to yuri authors' collabs/anthology afterwords/tweets freely yumejo-ing out about their peers' insanely hot characters. Personally I've sat through far too many pop culture hetero romances to have time for engaging with something more reletable through a biosafety glove box, or locking myself in an unending series of respectability mind prisons -- at that point, I'd rather just read Twilight, since it seems like they're having fun!

last edited at Apr 10, 2024 8:10PM

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

I love the way her frowny, indignant faces are drawn.

last edited at Apr 11, 2024 5:20PM

joined Apr 10, 2023

Lol that quoted post was a reply to me and I really don't know how we got from "rather than turning your brain off or reading through a lens of moral judgement you can read through a lens of empathy and emotion" to "heh foolish horny idiots can't think because of a lack of blood"

joined Jun 3, 2020

I just discovered this series, or rather the original novel, has a PV with voice acting. And the VAs are... Ayumu and Yuu from Nijigasaki?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrZzzvziWkw

But how... I mean... this is cool but, disturbing but, sexy but... too much to be a coincidence... why would anyone...

Someone tell me how to feel about this!

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

The fascinating thing to me is that Wakaba, by any normal measure, is actually outstanding and gifted herself. She may lose to the godlike at everything girls trope, but she still sails far above most normal people. Incredible grades, high singing talent and unreal luck at Mahjong.

The fact that she doesnt realize her own special standing because Komaki is a little better than her is probably the crystallization of the story. She has the slightest flaws, which make her human, but she is just special enough to scratch the ceiling and almost reach Komaki. So she goes on her tip toes and tries to pull her down to human levels, even if she is more liable to lose her balance and fall.

Of course it's obvious that Komaki is romantically interested in Wakaba and sees no other way to get close to her than this underhanded tactic, but I also think she wants to be defeated. Losing on purpose is out of the question though, because it proves nothing. She has created a soft win-win scenario for herself, but it still clearly bothers her that she can't get real affection. Oh how twisted.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Childhood friend is going to get herself a rival and will have to admit her feelings to the smaller one.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

So, just to be clear, if Wakaba had a lover, she'd want to have a "sleepover" with them? Either she's much hornier, much more innocent, or much more aware of her preferences than I previously thought.

Also, Wakaba, you're no longer allowed to say say Komaki's confusing after ending your date like that.

Primary%20avatar
joined May 15, 2021

And Komaki’s heart has been officially broken.

Chibi_blademan
joined Jul 23, 2013

With the way this story's been going I feel like the Idiot couple and Lots of kissing tags should be added.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

muteKi posted:

It's true what they say, isn't it? It's lonely at the as a at the as a top

I imagine I'm going to post this every time this series gets an update

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

I can't root for any of them really, their personality is so (unexplainable and unreasonably) twisted that it's really impossible to like them or hope they end up together, they're so toxic lol, there's a lot of potential here but why do these characters behave like they're in a death note type scenario? Overanalyzing every little thing like it means the end of the world, it's just a "competition" with romantic undertones, it all being so overly dramatic makes a really weird mix that I can't get into

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I love me a somehow dysfunctional couple, that gets "better" near the end, might this be it??? That kiss+ I hate you, not confusing at all xD

To reply you must either login or sign up.