Forum › And Thus I Was Picked Up By My Boss's Daughter discussion

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

And there we have it. Certainly not much of a father, but not the asshole many expected either, to the point that in the end he never even touched the money.

On one hand, that does say a lot about him. On the other hand, he did hold a woman at KNIFE POINT and (temporarily) stole his friend’s car so he wouldn’t have to deal with the consequences of his actions, so I feel like it’s still fair to call him an asshole.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

wtf is happening

joined Apr 10, 2023

To me, a friend is also someone who will be willing to say "I don't think that's right of you", and, in the end, it is an adult women with an unusual relationship with a teenager.

I agree with this, it's not remotely insulting or negging for one adult friend to recommend another adult friend not to get intimate with a child. That's just very normal actually. That character seemed very genuine in her concern for the MC.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

To me, a friend is also someone who will be willing to say "I don't think that's right of you", and, in the end, it is an adult women with an unusual relationship with a teenager.

I agree with this, it's not remotely insulting or negging for one adult friend to recommend another adult friend not to get intimate with a child. That's just very normal actually. That character seemed very genuine in her concern for the MC.

I feel like we read completely different things. If you are saying "I don't think it's right for you to have an intimate relationship with a teenager." You don't say, hey, you're childish and I think you hanging out with impressionable people will be a disaster.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Of course the penultimate chapter has the title drop places finger to ear ..what, that was the previous series they scanlated? Huh, really?

Smallerowl2jpg
joined May 5, 2020

This is the most worthless story... nothing's happened this entire time and I have no reason to think the finale will change that. What a nothingburger of a manga.

joined May 3, 2014

This is the most worthless story... nothing's happened this entire time and I have no reason to think the finale will change that. What a nothingburger of a manga.

HAHAH true, the story was just the teenager getting to figure out her life and that is all, the god damn yuri tag and the age gap tag should be god damn wipe from this manga, there was 0 relationship progression, there was 0 yuri in this story, unless you consider them becoming friends yuri and age gap??? like wtf was this story???

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Sometimes I wonder what people think "a story" is.
No romantic resolution = "nothing happened"? You'll find that a lot of things happened in this story.

It's like when I was reading Komi-san, and everyone and their dog was like "nothing ever happens in this manga" and I was like ... what the heck are you reading a manga about a girl who wants to make 100 friends for if you think her making friends is "nothing happening".

People don't seem to be able to appreciate a story without romance these days.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

No romantic resolution = "nothing happened"? You'll find that a lot of things happened in this story.

It's like when I was reading Komi-san, and everyone and their dog was like "nothing ever happens in this manga" and I was like ... what the heck are you reading a manga about a girl who wants to make 100 friends for if you think her making friends is "nothing happening".

Some people. But yeah, agreed. One of my pet peeves. Not necessarily this series but it often becomes clear from the way comments are constructed, that if the romance isn't the ultimate focus there's something wrong with the story. Depends on the community though. Series that are more adventure and plot focused for example get those kind of comments a lot, no matter the quality.

last edited at Jan 17, 2024 7:11AM

joined May 9, 2017

The reverse is also true, just because the story try to tell something without romance in it, doesn't make it good automatically….
I don't mind stories about character growth, even if the characters don't get together, but honestly, this was just not very interesting. I found the overall manga as well as the characters and their relationships to be quite shallow.

But I guess, if some people find something in this story, it just means that I wasn't able to connect with the characters…

last edited at Jan 17, 2024 7:00AM

joined Sep 10, 2022

The reverse is also true, just because the story try to tell something without romance in it, doesn't make it good automatically…

But no one said that.

joined May 9, 2017

The reverse is also true, just because the story try to tell something without romance in it, doesn't make it good automatically…

But no one said that.

No, but at the same time, saying "People don't seem to be able to appreciate a story without romance these days." is a bit harsh when the said story is average at best. It's too easy to blame it on the non-romance, when I think a lot more people wouldn't be disappointed if the story was better. I can appreciate an average to mediocre yuri story, because it's my jam, but an average to mediocre story like I think this one is, I'm just like "meh, I should have dropped it".

joined Sep 10, 2022

But no one said that.

No, but at the same time, saying "People don't seem to be able to appreciate a story without romance these days." is a bit harsh when the said story is average at best. It's too easy to blame it on the non-romance, when I think a lot more people wouldn't be disappointed if the story was better. I can appreciate an average to mediocre yuri story, because it's my jam, but an average to mediocre story like I think this one is, I'm just like "meh, I should have dropped it".

"I didn't like this story," is different from "worthless" and "nothing happened."

Did you see this comment, for example?

the story was just the teenager getting to figure out her life and that is all, the god damn yuri tag and the age gap tag should be god damn wipe from this manga, there was 0 relationship progression, there was 0 yuri in this story, unless you consider them becoming friends yuri and age gap??? like wtf was this story???

So by their own comment, did nothing really happen or?

Anyway, not necessarily this series but it often becomes clear from the way comments are constructed, that if the romance isn't the ultimate focus there's something wrong with the story. Depends on the community though. Series that are more adventure and plot focused for example get those kind of comments a lot, no matter the quality.

last edited at Jan 17, 2024 7:18AM

joined May 9, 2017

"I didn't like this story," is different from "worthless" and "nothing happened."

Anyway, not necessarily this series but it often becomes clear from the way comments are constructed, that if the romance isn't the ultimate focus there's something wrong with the story. Depends on the community though. Series that are more adventure and plot focused for example get those kind of comments a lot, no matter the quality.

Yeah, those reactions are definitively too strong. But I guess it comes from the fact that people are coming to Dynasty to get their daily dose of yuri, which explain the disappointment. I'm not even disappointed about that, Kazuha was interesting, but I've never liked the MC and I've never thought them getting together would be an attractive ending. I was just keeping reading the story, thinking I'll find something at one point.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

lovely story, albeit makes me use too much of my brain at times in the abstract haha

i do think this is mostly a bildungsroman story instead of a romance. it's a love story, but it's a self-love story imo

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

A happy mistake. ^_^

Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

But no one said that.

the story was just the teenager getting to figure out her life and that is all, the god damn yuri tag and the age gap tag should be god damn wipe from this manga, there was 0 relationship progression, there was 0 yuri in this story, unless you consider them becoming friends yuri and age gap??? like wtf was this story???

I'd say it's pretty unkind to pull that message from what they said. It's very fair to say that yuri and age gap tag shouldn't be here, it's subtext at best now, and there was a very, very long, stagnantness in their relationship that felt very platonic. I think they're just sad they wasted their time, and I am too

last edited at Jan 19, 2024 9:16AM

Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

But no one said that.

I'd say it's pretty unkind to pull that message from what they said. It's very fair to say that yuri and age gap tag shouldn't be here, it's subtext at best now, and there was a very, very long, stagnantness in their relationship that felt very platonic. I think they're just sad they wasted their time, and I am too

It's kind of like getting to end of a video game and the ending blows to you, and it makes you realize how the writing has been cheap and keeping you on edge and then to have no resolution, that sort of thing. Where it's like, wow, if I'd spent money on this I'd be PISSED. but, I didn't spend any money so I'll sleep peacefully, I can't say the same for any lesbian Japanese reader tho, or anyone who got the raws.
F

joined Jul 26, 2016

Poor Takimiya. She deserved to be in a better manga.

It's kind of like getting to end of a video game and the ending blows to you, and it makes you realize how the writing has been cheap and keeping you on edge and then to have no resolution, that sort of thing. Where it's like, wow, if I'd spent money on this I'd be PISSED. but, I didn't spend any money so I'll sleep peacefully, I can't say the same for any lesbian Japanese reader tho, or anyone who got the raws.

Well said.

joined Mar 4, 2017

That was nice. I really liked this story.

And screw anyone who was upset they didn't get together. One is an ADUKT and the other is a CHILD.

A child that is undergoing pretty significant psychological distress and in desperate need of an adult in her life that loves and accepts her.

Honestly, to anyone HOPING to see that shit, cry more.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I liked it, it probably wasn't intentional but Takimiya's story being so underbaked makes it even funnier, that last "fuck you" for her at the end is a very Akashi kind of humour.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

I didn’t expect to come out of this story liking the bodyguards so much

Stuff
joined May 28, 2022

Personally disappointed in the ending. Nothing else in the story went anywhere and it seemed to facilitate them being together, so I really thought that their relationship was going to be more fleshed out eventually. Even platonically it fell short for me. I also wonder why people that would've been upset with them ending up together because of their age click on stories with the age gap and yuri tag and read the entire manga. You'd think these people would completely avoid being subjected to that?

joined May 29, 2021

Someone should remove the age gap and yuri tags since they don’t apply. Heck maybe remove the whole manga. There’s no excuse for yuribait in this day and age when there are so many actual yuri stories around.

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Still Sick peaked so this was a bit disappointment, relly just becuse it came after Still Sick. I love silly mangas like these where nothing happens and it is all over the place. I wouldn't pay for this but it was fun to look at. I hope their next work will be good tho

To reply you must either login or sign up.