Forum › A Scummy Gap Student With a Hard Life Calls Upon a Lady of the Night discussion

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

What's the worst that could happen? Makino's nasty mother gets Mashiro imprisoned for prostitution, and Makino for credit card fraud. But then they share the same cell.

Why would they? There was no fraud with the card and the prostitution seems to be a legit business.

Ss%20(2022-10-15%20at%2007.19.30)
joined Aug 19, 2021

slaped her mother and being rewarded, don't do this at home.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I only understand this as far as, the mother seems to be ill-tempered and may present an obstacle? True?

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

I mean, that’s great for her and all, but I didn’t see her clarify anything at any point after he said “so our engagement is established, then,” which sounds to me like he views her taking the card as accepting his offer. Until that little misunderstanding is cleared up, he is going to continue to view himself as her fiancé, which is bound to cause problems.

It takes two people to be engaged and married. He can think what he wants. That doesn't mean he's her fiance. She didn't hear him, in the last chapter because she was enamored by her thoughts of what she'd buy Mashiro. She never verbally accepted, even wondering why he was still around her and didn't disappear. She's just a (mostly loveable) idiot. In this chapter, she made it crystal clear that she did not consider that an acceptance of anything. So he's not her fiance, just a miscommunication or bad assumption on his part. So, it's mostly "great for him and all," if anything. He can tell people he's her fiance but he'd be wrong. The misunderstanding can cause issues, sure but he's not her fiance. I agree that his role is up in the air. He seems too obviously antagonistic to me but he could team up with the mom.

My point isn’t that they’re actually engaged. Maybe I should’ve put fiancé in quotes. My point is that so long as he thinks they’re engaged, he’s going to be an issue, and once he finds out that they’re not engaged, he might start looking for ways to change that. Plus, the perception that they are engaged could be just as problematic as Makino actually having accepted the engagement.

WANTED Dead OR Alive
joined Sep 22, 2023

==> Makino's mom learned how a left hook to the jaw feels.

I'VE BEEN WAITING 59 CHAPTERS FOR THIS MOMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAAAAH! Ruin the lives of your girls, would you? Take that, homophobic witch!

I totes luv how conflict and misunderstandings are solved so quickly and reasonably in this series. Often a chapter ends in a cliffhanger when some accidental confusion seems to drive a wedge between the mcs. Well in the next chp. they realize the mistake and all is fine again! Like right now: Satou had gotten the idea that Makino wanted to ditch her and marry a millionaire guy... but when she saw Makino punch her stupid mother in the face and yell 'no dammit I'm not gonna marry him!' she figured things out all right.

Put like that it sounds super easy, I know... but there're so many manga where this kind of mistake would have been a source of conflict and angst for whole volumes!

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Been waiting 50 years. ( For the punch)
Nice resolution with Makino getting to live with her sweetheart. Sometimes it's good to be the scum.

joined Apr 10, 2023

That it wasn't even a slap but an all out punch, complete with "oraaaa!" is so fucking good LMAO. Exactly what that bigot had coming. Unfortunately this spells some financial trouble for our heroes in the near future, as one gets cut off from her parents and the other fired. Gonna be hard to attend prep school or college without money. However, I seem to remember a rich yandere client character from a while back in this manga. Maybe it's her time to swoop in and save the day.

Edit: looking back at that rich yandere, she ended up pulling a box cutter on Makino so uh. Maybe she's had a major change of heart but still unlikely to be the hero our scumbags need lol.

last edited at Oct 4, 2023 3:12PM

TheEternalShade
20230425_150259
joined Aug 25, 2021

My prediction: bitch is gonna find out that her daughter is staying with her teacher and will attsmpt to get Mashiro fired and possibly arrested for having an illicit relationship with a student, even if they haven't done anything by then.

Stare%20-%20copy
joined Sep 1, 2022

I mean, that’s great for her and all, but I didn’t see her clarify anything at any point after he said “so our engagement is established, then,” which sounds to me like he views her taking the card as accepting his offer. Until that little misunderstanding is cleared up, he is going to continue to view himself as her fiancé, which is bound to cause problems.

It takes two people to be engaged and married. He can think what he wants. That doesn't mean he's her fiance. She didn't hear him, in the last chapter because she was enamored by her thoughts of what she'd buy Mashiro. She never verbally accepted, even wondering why he was still around her and didn't disappear. She's just a (mostly loveable) idiot. In this chapter, she made it crystal clear that she did not consider that an acceptance of anything. So he's not her fiance, just a miscommunication or bad assumption on his part. So, it's mostly "great for him and all," if anything. He can tell people he's her fiance but he'd be wrong. The misunderstanding can cause issues, sure but he's not her fiance. I agree that his role is up in the air. He seems too obviously antagonistic to me but he could team up with the mom.

My point isn’t that they’re actually engaged. Maybe I should’ve put fiancé in quotes. My point is that so long as he thinks they’re engaged, he’s going to be an issue, and once he finds out that they’re not engaged, he might start looking for ways to change that. Plus, the perception that they are engaged could be just as problematic as Makino actually having accepted the engagement.

I bet he takes one look at his credit card statement, immediately figures out what's happening, and becomes either:

1. a chummy, supportive wingman who gives up on her but still roots for her because she's interesting, or
  2. a scummy, supportive wingman who's fine with her continuing to see women but still wants to marry her.
joined Jan 14, 2020

My prediction: bitch is gonna find out that her daughter is staying with her teacher and will attsmpt to get Mashiro fired and possibly arrested for having an illicit relationship with a student, even if they haven't done anything by then.

Makino is over the age of consent, and Mashiro is just a cram school tutor, and it's Japan. I doubt there's any grounds for arrest. Fired, she could just do on her own.

joined Apr 10, 2023

The only possibility for anyone getting "arrested" would be Makino for punching her mom, except her mom slapped her first. I seriously doubt the law is going to get involved with this story lol

joined Aug 11, 2022

However, I seem to remember a rich yandere client character from a while back in this manga. Maybe it's her time to swoop in and save the day.

Edit: looking back at that rich yandere, she ended up pulling a box cutter on Makino so uh. Maybe she's had a major change of heart but still unlikely to be the hero our scumbags need lol.

Ch. 43-44 - Her most recent appearance, she not going to helpful but at least she is not going to be a problem. She too busy being lovely-dovey and fking with #1 lily girl. Yup low chance for help from her.

At the most worse case scenario, Makino can just use money earned from attending the marriage interviews to support both of them...maybe mocch off her older sister's place if things get really bad for Mashiro (fired from job=less more for rent) since older Sis is partly to blame for this whole mess due to being too drunk happy on love.

They just have to survive about 2-4 more years till Makino finish Cram school & College [to have better job options] then their lives should be stable enough to be happy living together without much issue from the parent(s)

joined Sep 4, 2016

Wow. Fuck that mom. I always thought the parents were not great people, but I didn't think the mom was that nasty.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Yeah I thought you might also mean that and mentioned that it might cause some issues. The last part of what I said applies here still:

He can tell people he's her fiance but he'd be wrong. The misunderstanding can cause issues, sure but he's not her fiance. I agree that his role is up in the air. He seems too obviously antagonistic to me but he could team up with the mom.

I could see him teaming with the mother. For some reason I still have a slight feeling of him ending up a friend though.

last edited at Oct 5, 2023 6:23AM

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

To explain why the MC reminds me of Tomoko Kuroki:

This is her reflex response to Nemo being nice to her.

BTW going back over their interactions, Kuro is a TOTAL scumbag to Nemo. Seeing it one piece at a time, I didn't get the big picture.

If you made Megumi Imae a depressed call-girl, you'd basically have this series.

last edited at Oct 13, 2023 5:35PM

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Shes definitely gonna introduce him to the yandere girl right?

joined Sep 22, 2021

Author-san continues to be best girl

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Ummm engagement doesn’t mean you can’t change your mind. Probably harder to back out if she had spent his money, but since she hasn’t there’s nothing that’s actually tying them together. But I agree, I’m guessing she’s going to introduce him to either the yandere girl or to one of her cram school friends.

Daremo from Parts Unknown
joined May 6, 2022

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Kosuzume playing Pokemon with her children is a really cute mental image.

Shes definitely gonna introduce him to the yandere girl right?

Exactly what I was thinking. RIP to all the prostitutes she's gonna tire out with her infinite money.

joined Aug 11, 2022

Hmm... it either one of her cram friend (The girl from ch.5-7 and other chapter. She emit lot of Extrovert energy!) or the landmine girl...though I don't know if Landmine girl is Bi-sexu@l or just into girls.

Landmine girl is already well-off (Probably came from a above average to rich family=reason why she can spend so much money on girls lol) so I doubt she is willing unless she is Bi and find rich scumbag boy 'interesting' too 0_0

MC is going to have throw a sacrifice to scumbag rich boy (Lol...the boy is honest about not caring too much about MC using his money/seeing him as a source of just money...Guess being pretty + 'Interesting' is better than marrying a submissive but ugly girl from another rich family XD)

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

I love how misunderstandings are overcome with just straightforward scumminess.

joined May 24, 2014

The scumbag is on a pickle!

Is she gonna introduce that wacky yandere to him?!

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

This is why I made my earlier comment. It takes two people to be engaged. She says no, that's it. She really didn't hear what he said back then. And I guess that answers the question about him: he will indeed be antagonistic. Besides that it's good she didn't use any of that money and doesn't care to if her girl doesn't want it. So he's even more useless now.

It's also good that they communicated quickly and clearly. This also means that her mother dragged her last chapter without having heard from this guy. So it just makes her mother even worse.

I hope this guy's thing doesn't drag on because this "we're engaged because I said so" turn is dumb and illogical on it's face and if any serious drama comes from it, I would be rolling my eyes to the back of my head. This manga handles things quickly though.

last edited at Oct 18, 2023 8:38AM

ZippyZapmeister
Yatsude_!
joined Jan 13, 2019

Crying at her having him stored in her phone as "guy with the platinum credit card"

last edited at Oct 18, 2023 11:01AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.