Forum › How she and I got close discussion

joined May 10, 2021

That was a very nice short, art was great and the chemistry between them was nice.
Them ranting about the bad people their job brought along was kinda fun.
Thanks for the translation!

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Love most of the series I've read from this anthology. This was sweet. The setup kind of reminded me of "Talk Dirty to Me" without...everything else lol.

last edited at Oct 5, 2023 7:51AM

De00e7f3-5d55-4e3c-951c-ebac52dc90c4_1_102_o
joined Jul 14, 2021

Felt kinda transphobic with the "oh this girl... but it's a man in women's clothes and he wants to hurt me!". idk man

Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

Felt kinda transphobic with the "oh this girl... but it's a man in women's clothes and he wants to hurt me!". idk man

yeah, intentional or not, this is one of those tropes based more in fiction than in reality. i quite agree. creepy guys generally don't feel the need to put on an elaborate costume like inspector clouseau

what if yumachi put her brother up to it or something though, to manufacture the situation at the apartment? she was like, RIGHT nearby when it happened. make u think

joined Jun 11, 2021

ugh the "predatory man in a dress" thing. thanks for perpetuating transphobic stereotypes. completely unneeded for a story like this and instantly soured my opinion of the author, which sucks because i like their other works

Primeval Revenant
joined Jun 16, 2019

Concur with the rest. Was enjoying it until the transphobic cliche gave me whiplash and then it just soured the entire thing. Started feeling TERFy.

joined Feb 24, 2023

The story didn’t seem to imply one way or the other whether the person in a dress wanted genuine make up help as a trans woman or a predatory man using a disguise to get close, I wish it was clear about it since the character didn’t say much of anything before being chased away ( I guess grabbing the girl’s wrist was bad but that could be more of a panicked response to explain the situation then anything) and so we’re just kinda led to assume the worst by the author lol

last edited at Oct 5, 2023 9:00AM

joined Mar 19, 2022

Cool start and then suddenly hits you with the transphobic trope that doesn't actually happen IRL. Just stirring a up a little hatred for fun!

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Ugh of all things it just had to be a shitty transphobic stereotype, and it started so nice. Intentional or not that's a big let down. Come one Yukiko, you're better than that

Sleeping%20yukari
joined Nov 15, 2011

Dont mind me...
I'm just here... To enjoy... Yuri..
By Yukiko sensei...

I love her art, its developed so much!!

Thanks jq & co

Fowgib%20me%20(2)
joined Nov 28, 2021

Disappointing bit there. Put a pretty sour feeling in my stomach, everything else is great, but then the stupid transphobic bit comes in and it's like... why? If you wanted a creepy stalker dude, just make it that and not some perpetuation of stereotypes. Just feels bad when everything else is cute.

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

yeah, intentional or not, this is one of those tropes based more in fiction than in reality. i quite agree. creepy guys generally don't feel the need to put on an elaborate costume like inspector clouseau

what if yumachi put her brother up to it or something though, to manufacture the situation at the apartment? she was like, RIGHT nearby when it happened. make u think

In Japan especially anyone who stands out gets targeted by the police, surprisingly quickly. So this kind of thing is like the last thing a date rapist would do.

Either because someone calls police for someone potentially impersonating (this is why trans people often get interrogated by police there), or because police just wants to check things out given most of their day is just routine beat cop things. They like to check on lone foreigners with bikes or cars, for example, and try to find out if it's stolen or rental/loaner/owned by that person. Yes, they're profiling pretty hard.

There used to be a big problem with train molesting and few things like adding women's train cars happened, that's why lot of people are on the edge all the time.

last edited at Oct 5, 2023 10:07AM

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

Why people assume the person is trans ? There is no indication of so and no confirmation. As per usual, forumers jump at throat on so little.

They didn't.

They were talking about the trope of "molester trying to get close to a girl by disguising themselves as a woman". Which is also a transphobic trope.

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

um, okay

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

I feel like this was interesting in terms of societal commentary… The climax of the story was absolutely based on a transphobic trope, but I think it’s easier to read if you think about the way these women have been socialized and have experienced society. They have both had bad experiences with men, so they weaponize their presentation to survive in a sexist world. The main character uses social media to feel okay about herself — maybe compensating for the lack of approval she would get for being her authentic (lesbian) self. The gyaru has fundamentally changed how she dresses so that she can avoid harassment.

If we imagine that the “guy in a dress” was a well-meaning trans woman who misguidedly grabbed our protagonist’s wrist without ill intent, we can imagine that she is also trying to be her authentic self in a society that has strict rules for how women and men must look and act. Obviously, the outcome of that meeting would be a very upsetting experience for the well-meaning trans woman. But the main character also missed out on a potential friendship, and she will continue to go around in the world presenting a superficial and false version of herself to the world. She’ll keep believing that men are disgusting or whatever her belief is.

Ugh… lots of controversial issues here, but it’s also INTERESTING to me. This will nevertheless go on my favorites list.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

I haven't laughed this hard reading comments in a long time.

Jamal_Williams69
joined May 13, 2018

Y'all are seeing ghosts fr

joined Apr 16, 2022

Why people assume the person is trans ? There is no indication of so and no confirmation. As per usual, forumers jump at throat on so little.

They didn't.

They were talking about the trope of "molester trying to get close to a girl by disguising themselves as a woman". Which is also a transphobic trope.

Yeah, the point isn't that the fictional character in this oneshot is trans, it's that transphobes think trans women are just men who disguise themselves as women to deceive others. The scene would've worked perfectly well (and been more realistic) if the creepy guy had just been dressed like a man instead. It's a shame because I do think the discussion about how some types of makeup and styles are appealing to men and others are appealing to women was quite interesting.

joined Feb 24, 2023

It’s a moment that’s very vague and up to interpretation, not the readers fault for drawing a very decently founded conclusions because the author didn’t bother clarifying

03dcbc32-c6f1-466f-9b77-fffa79a101b1
joined Feb 27, 2022

cute story, wish the stalker was just a catfish rather than what happened

Index%20(6)
joined Mar 27, 2021

it's not a reach to say "creepy man in a dress harasses women" is a pretty transmisogynistic concept to utilize and it wasn't necessary to depict her meeting a fan overstepping physical boundaries in that way unless you're meaning to lean on prejudices

Him
joined Feb 21, 2013

yeah could have just as easily been a man who wasn't dressed up. Instantly got transphobic vibes by having the story imply a predator dressing as a woman to target other women, even if the mangaka's intention wasn't for it to come off as something transphobic.

joined Oct 14, 2020

Agreed. People honestly just look for things to be upset about.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Agreed. People honestly just look for things to be upset about.

Whether you were aware of it or not, the trope and its history exist. and recognizing an established shitty trope and calling out the harm it does isn't "seeing ghosts", it's pointing out facts.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

The possible transphobic trope aside — author could have just made the creepy dude approach her when she's distracted thinking the girl couldn't come and the catfishing aspect of it would have the same impact but we don't know if their intention was to be transphobic or just show fucked up shit some creepy stalkers in Japan might actually do —, the scenario really serves as a reminder of how girls' experiences on social media are very often filled with guys assuming we treat every single app like a dating one and only approach us wanting to ask us out/hook up. You don't even need to be an influencer or post a lot of pictures, you can be either "plain" or "provocative", it doesn't matter. Just by being a girl and having your DMs open you are a victim of this silent type of harassment.

Sadly, I speak from experience. Thankfully (?) it has only gone as far as guys rarely approaching me because they want to become friends or have a conversation, always with second intentions and immediately flirting and making me uncomfortable or asking me out when they notice I'm starting to warm up to them.
Girls never talk to me and although it could be because my major is predominately male, that just makes it even worse. I only have a good time in anonymity and in very niche sites like this one lol

Anyways looking forward to more things from this anthology. WE NEED MORE GAYARUS!!!!

Love most of the series I've read from this anthology. This was sweet. The setup kind of reminded me of "Talk Dirty to Me" without...everything else lol.

I got that reference.
Japanese "Talk Dirty to Me" without the BDSM.

last edited at Oct 5, 2023 12:49PM

This topic has been locked.