Forum › J<->M discussion

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

How dare he say that to the teacher

Are everyone going to be jackasses for the moment

Pity
joined Jan 11, 2014

This idea of young boys bullying and harrassing girls they like being a funny ha ha ha moment in Japan has to die.
He bullied her enough that she never want to go back to school again and despite the author trying to make a redemption arc for him I'm not warming up to that brat anytime soon until he bend his ass over to the kid.

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

On the bright side, the chuuni streak pays off.

And while I'm not one to condone corporal punishment, well... Assholes that try to assault children need to learn very severe lessons, and a broken arm or leg is a very effective lesson for not getting violent. And they're middle schoolers, so they're definitely old enough to know that pulling a weapon is not a good call. (Obviously, this is all set up so J is still heroic while beating children, but fact remains...)

This idea of young boys bullying and harrassing girls they like being a funny ha ha ha moment in Japan has to die.
He bullied her enough that she never want to go back to school again and despite the author trying to make a redemption arc for him I'm not warming up to that brat anytime soon until he bend his ass over to the kid.

Not just limited to Japan. That shit needs to die everywhere. And I'm with you: No free pass. He better actually learn a lesson in not being an asshole and make a dedicated effort to change.

The whole "oh he secretly likes her" thing is just... not funny. Or lighthearted. I've been in too many domestic abuse situations (on the receiving end and as a witness) to ever find "he does it because he likes you" tolerable. I remember liking Ranma 1/2 quite a lot, but the constant Akane-hits-Ranma "comedy" is what keeps me from ever revisiting it, or series like it...

joined Aug 21, 2017

The fried tofu offering oh my god

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

There's a metaphor somewhere in here with the bully boy and the more criminal older boys, but I cannot find a proper way to express it.

I feel bad that he's a latchkey kid, but I agree with everyone else that bullying isn't a cute, fluffy expression of a crush. The whole implication of his story is that his parents should pay more attention to him, after all.

'Megumi' says 'Mr. Fox' is there to protect her but the little dingus never even thinks for a second that 'she' means against him, too. Whoosh.

last edited at Sep 10, 2023 9:31AM

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

The fried tofu offering oh my god

That part was actually funny. It's a hilarious misunderstanding that leads to the ridiculous chuuni-channeling moment. Great fun. It's just a shame everything surrounding it... isn't.

Chubby kid (can't recall his name) has been kind of one note, but it's a great note for a comedic support character.

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

The whole "oh he secretly likes her" thing is just... not funny. Or lighthearted. I've been in too many domestic abuse situations (on the receiving end and as a witness) to ever find "he does it because he likes you" tolerable. I remember liking Ranma 1/2 quite a lot, but the constant Akane-hits-Ranma "comedy" is what keeps me from ever revisiting it, or series like it...

That said, as of right now, it seems to be just the ideas of someone with 20+-years outdated view, who also grew up not knowing much more than just killings.

last edited at Sep 10, 2023 10:51PM

Jesus
joined Sep 3, 2022

I love this very much, thank you for translating it. I don't think the bullying thing will end here, maybe it will be tackled when she returns to her body, with an proper apology. I don't think those theme like bullying and the moral harass from the mother should be taked so seriously, there are plenty works that talks about those with the due respect, let's just enjoy the commedic and silly side of this. I like how the hard boilled guy has another chance to deal with "trauma" from the past, allowing maybe a character grow? I don't know.

joined Sep 4, 2020

This idea of westerners seeing something they don't like in a manga and claiming "JAPAN needs to change" has to die.

Seira%20the%20boss
joined Jun 25, 2017

Don't you hate it when the characters always have to lie and force themself to act as someone else? I mean just frikkin' explote and act like how you want, J/M! If you get bullied, break their balls and kick their faces, if someone badmouth you, insult them, if your "parent" is abusive, find your solution. There is always a way to solve toxic relationship like these

So true. I really hate these stereotypes of "tsundere boys who bully the girl they like". They should just all suffer in their corner and the girls should more on and wreck their face, find someone better and make these stupid person feel worse than they should

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

I'll be honest the moment I saw the bar I was expecting Hitomi to be on the other side. Like there's no way this takes place in the same world as Hinamatsuri but still... I really had to see the old man bartender to let it go lmao.

To reply you must either login or sign up.