Forum › I Wanna Quit Being a Hitman! discussion

Psyduck
joined Jun 17, 2015

For manga they have to end on a chapter that rounds out a complete volume for example, if they go over, if they're allowed to go over, they need to go over for an entire extra volume, like what happened with Dorohedoro.

I have quite a few series on my bookshelf where the last volume is notably thicker than the others because the ending chapter(s) doesn't fit neatly into a normal volume, there's no way this is a given practice.

last edited at Aug 17, 2023 6:34PM

0d9c1f8da5c68f44be466e7fdf34f353
joined Jan 13, 2015

I swear this has to be one of the most unsatisfying ending of manga history. I mean it literally end in the middle of the story directly at the start of what should be the final arc.

joined Jan 3, 2020

I was expecting the worst when I heard the ending was coming in a few chapters, so that was better than I expected.

I have quite a few series on my bookshelf where the last volume is notably thicker than the others because the ending chapter(s) doesn't fit neatly into a normal volume, there's no way this is a given practice.

Yeah, there's a decent number of series with a bloated final volume. But there's also a lot where they end exactly on the scheduled number of chapters and the ending is wildly unsatisfying and then followed up by multiple epilogues or short stories published through other means. So I think both of you are right about things that can happen.

I swear this has to be one of the most unsatisfying ending of manga history. I mean it literally end in the middle of the story directly at the start of what should be the final arc.

Nah, this isn't even close. They kissed. They're in a relationship. That's a good enough Yuri ending to make it out of the "most unsatisfying Yuri manga endings".

Now as an action manga? This ending is certainly not great.

last edited at Aug 17, 2023 8:31PM

Riamu
joined Aug 28, 2018

Clearly you don't remember the gym manga

joined Apr 10, 2023

For manga they have to end on a chapter that rounds out a complete volume for example, if they go over, if they're allowed to go over, they need to go over for an entire extra volume, like what happened with Dorohedoro.

It can happen but it's more expensive for the publisher. I don't really know the mechanics I've just read enough author end notes talking about page counts and printing limits and such lol. There's set standard page counts for book printing and going outside those standards makes the book cost more to print. This is also why you frequently see "wasted" pages in volumes where they just print the logo or something, or authors talking about how much or how little space they have at the end of the book for an author's note. I've definitely seen authors talk about how they had to rush the final chapter so that the story's conclusion would fit on one volume.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I have to disagree with you there. That "final arc" would, considering their plans, take years and years until they're finally even in a position to go through with it, and even with access to assassins and such, I don't think any mangaka would seriously be able to solve something as complex as the refugee problem, so it's much better to be left open-ended in that regard.

Screen%20shot%202016-04-20%20at%207.35.18%20am
joined Dec 20, 2015

It seems like the author kind of wrote themselves into a corner with how complex things got and decided to end it before things got too complicated or heavy handed, which in regards to what we got I think it’s fine the way it ended.

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

Something that was really interesting to me in this manga was that the some refugees were European-coded. Y’know, with names like “Gina” or “Eliza” or “Rose” and a lot of Western features. It gets me thinking about the effects of colonialism. What if the refugees had been named “Nawal” and “Ifechiluru” or “Shagufta” and “Yu Xi”?

I’m not saying there aren’t any European refugees (obviously with the war in Ukraine) but it’s interesting to think about how our perceptions of refugees would change if an Asian country was overrun with downtrodden Caucasians. Given the current state of the international power balance, it’s thought-provoking.

TheEternalShade
20230425_150259
joined Aug 25, 2021

That was...not a bad ending, exactly, but I am left highly unsatisfied with it.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

So Gina or Eliza as she's known now is looking to take revenge on the person who killed her family who also happens to be safeguarding several pieces of collateral (hostages) one of which is HIbai's (now Kathy's) son. So they go off to kick ass chew bubblegum and be homoerotic about it. I guess since we're not going to get to see it.

Overall I find that this story fails to pull through on any one message it tries to send, it's mostly fun action scenes interspersed with the dark reality of living as a refugee, interspersed with both shadowy organizations supposedly working towards the well-being of said refugees but one of them starts a civil war to try and force the issue (which is bad you see for reasons you see) and the other organization pretty much purely works to keep everything under the status quo because they believe they can change things over time I guess? (which to be fair is also bad) but like if the bishop wasn't made to be horrifically homophobic near the end I feel like the church would just have been correct. lmao

joined Aug 11, 2022

So chapter 43.5, last page say author probably want to continue it but says it would take too long (2 volumes or 400 more pages, thanking people for reading)--> Basically money talks, if their work brings in lots of customers/sales then they can continue writing their manga...if not then they get told a time/date/volume number they have to work with to wrap up their story...that is business...it sucks but it is the sad reality...

/
/
/
ALSO I CALLED IT/PREDICT IT!!! Hibai and Gina(Sang) is teaming up to find who killed Gina's family....bonus point if they end up becoming a couple (+extra bonus point if they reunite with Gina's son) XD

Babylon/Hitmen group threatening their family member is a scummy move but somewhat logical if they can't trust their workers...probably breed some resentment though and no true trust...hopefully Rose fixes that and gains a lot of support when she become their new leader :)

/
/
Both organization wants the best to help people/the Refugees...but their methods need a lot of work + losing their morals along the way + not willing to compromise/seek better way/willingness to change their system for the better. To me they are both right but yet wrong (They have their pros and cons), you guys can argue about who method is better or who is more morally superior I guess lol XD

/
/
/
Thank you very much translator, Marendarade and editor for all your hard work (in the small chance your reading this)!!!

last edited at Aug 18, 2023 1:05PM

joined Apr 14, 2022

Everyone's always jumping to "axed" when they don't like an ending, even though this ending was basically locked in four chapters prior.

Well, there you go straight from the authors mouth: axed. I suspected as much, because it would take way more than four chapters to address everything they had been building up.

It's got to be tough being a mangaka. I can only imagine how much it hurts to spend time drawing up a grand story only for it to cancelled halfway through, not only killing your years of effort but also leading people to think your story (and you yourself) suck.

joined Aug 11, 2022

Everyone's always jumping to "axed" when they don't like an ending, even though this ending was basically locked in four chapters prior.

Well, there you go straight from the authors mouth: axed. I suspected as much, because it would take way more than four chapters to address everything they had been building up.

It's got to be tough being a mangaka. I can only imagine how much it hurts to spend time drawing up a grand story only for it to cancelled halfway through, not only killing your years of effort but also leading people to think your story (and you yourself) suck.

I enjoyed the story, could be better but could be worse. Reasonable ending considering the author didn't have enough time to fully get everything covered/explored XD

...yep...they should treat their workers better...sometimes the shi*ty company underpaid or don't even paid their worker/mangaka right.

For example one korean manhwa writer was forcefully worked and abused so badly that she lost her baby due to stress from her editor to make the chapter in unreasonable time...same said Editor took time off for her own pregnancy (FKING HYPOCRITE...)

Or

A Japanese manga artist not being paid for all her hard work, like designing/writing the cover for the manga book + having it scraped due to them not liking it...At least she is in a better company/doing better now...

This is one of the many 100+ reason why I hate humanity/humans...

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Aghhh love Hibai and Gina together. This was a great set up for a side arc with them, but that last page ended so abruptly :(

Sad to see that there where plenty of more ideas for 2 volumes worth but they weren't able to complete it

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Nice to see these two continue their adventures together as well. ^_^

That, and they literally chose their new names based on the other's "suggestions". :D

last edited at Aug 18, 2023 2:17PM

Undertale%20deltarune%20fukufire%20skateboard%20gay
joined Aug 4, 2021

okay that was better

joined Apr 10, 2023

I wouldn't say that. The phrasing sounds like it might be talking about the new Kathy and Eliza story. For the main story, the publisher might have said "stop at the next volume end" but they definitely didn't cancel it early, as "axed" implies. It's like the difference between getting evicted and your landlord not renewing your lease. Both might be bad if you wanted to continue, but the latter is much less abrupt and threatening for your future. It's rare to see an "evicted" mangaka make a comeback sadly. Finished manga mangaka though frequently start a new series. I hope we see more from this author, I like their style. :)

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

They should had bang, xd

joined Aug 21, 2017

This is the real ending to me.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I wouldn't say that. The phrasing sounds like it might be talking about the new Kathy and Eliza story. For the main story, the publisher might have said "stop at the next volume end" but they definitely didn't cancel it early, as "axed" implies. It's like the difference between getting evicted and your landlord not renewing your lease. Both might be bad if you wanted to continue, but the latter is much less abrupt and threatening for your future. It's rare to see an "evicted" mangaka make a comeback sadly. Finished manga mangaka though frequently start a new series. I hope we see more from this author, I like their style. :)

It is plain common to call it "cancellation" when e.g. a TV series is not renewed for another season, so to me this distinction doesn't feel very meaningful. The sudden cancellation in manga that you refer to tends to happen because of the author's legal issues (civil or criminal), health problems, or death.

joined Dec 13, 2020

Can someone please tell me what's so bad about the ending? I think it's a pretty acceptable open ending.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Can someone please tell me what's so bad about the ending? I think it's a pretty acceptable open ending.

The whole premise was that Rose wanted to stop being a hitman so she could live a normal life with her girlfriend, but in the end nothing changed.

And the story was hyping itself up to go out with a bang but it ended in a fizzle instead.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Well that's more satisfying than the other story thread

joined Jun 11, 2016

It seems like the author kind of wrote themselves into a corner with how complex things got and decided to end it before things got too complicated or heavy handed, which in regards to what we got I think it’s fine the way it ended.

this. I remember starting this and thinking that it's a bit quirky and comedic, but then things got way too serious too fast.

Kohaku%20avatar%20500px
joined Jul 10, 2016

I could go for a season 2 about these two. Damn shame.

To reply you must either login or sign up.