Forum › The Engagement of the Disgraced Witch and the Cross-Dressing Princess discussion

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

Of all the villainess yuri out there (I count this as villainess even though it's not isekai), this one is most similar to a het villainess work, and I don't just mean that the love interest crossdresses. The old fiance is over-the-top evil; almost everyone else, including the servants, hates the MC for no good reason; the love interest swoops in and saves the MC by proposing to her because she "intrigues" them. The only differentiating factor, aside from it being yuri, is that the old fiance's new girl doesn't appear to be an evil two-faced white lotus, I assume she's being blackmailed or something and will probably need to be rescued later.

All that being said, Ciel's "real" personality is a lot more fun than the shoujo love interest facade she puts on while crossdressing, so I'm hopeful that now that the obligatory setup is out of the way (and the over-the-top evil former fiance hopefully won't show up very often) the manga will become more fun. Thanks for the translation!

I was just thinking the same thing lol, it’s so much like one of them het stories! It’s so fun to see that

joined Jan 3, 2020

it’s okay if it’s generic when do they kiss

This is pretty much how I feel about new yuri works, lol!

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

it’s okay if it’s generic when do they kiss

This is pretty much how I feel about new yuri works, lol!

Outrageous demands these days! Youth of today are not happy with abject tragedy or annoying ambiguity of Class Tropical Fish Yearns For A Man Chu. A true disaster, let me tell you!

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

Are there any villainess yuri stories where the villainess is actually fairly effed up? I mean someone like Fukiko Ichinomiya from Oniisama e. She was a seriously nasty person.

Maybe I’m weird for wanting it, but there’s nothing like the thrill of digging into the twisted psychology of a screwed up villainess. Most of these villainess stories are cute, but I abandon them ‘cuz they’re just tsunderes in fantasy settings. Not much real villainy.

Yeah, it's just that most of the people writing these aren't interested in a psychological breakdown, they're in it for the romance and the tsundere ("I can save her"). A lot of the audience has been primed for that too by now; honestly, including me. In practice,"Villainess" is just another word for "Powerful Tsundere to be saved or do the saving."

last edited at May 25, 2023 10:19AM

Old_Man_Majes
Old%20man%20prof
joined Oct 25, 2022

Are there any villainess yuri stories where the villainess is actually fairly effed up? I mean someone like Fukiko Ichinomiya from Oniisama e. She was a seriously nasty person.

Maybe I’m weird for wanting it, but there’s nothing like the thrill of digging into the twisted psychology of a screwed up villainess. Most of these villainess stories are cute, but I abandon them ‘cuz they’re just tsunderes in fantasy settings. Not much real villainy.

This is pretty rare even in het villainess stories unfortunately. Only a few come to mind: The One Within the Villainess, Grail of Eris, and I Awoke as an Imprisoned Villainess. And while these do all feature two women as the leads, none of them are actually yuri (though The One Within the Villainess has some pretty strong sapphic subtext).

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I think this is the fourth or fifth series I've read with this start... looks good tho

Same lol- since magical revolution did it ive seen at least 2-3 others start with almost the same set up! - I think it was the first to do it?

But I also agree it looks good enough that im interested to see more.

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

Same lol- since magical revolution did it ive seen at least 2-3 others start with almost the same set up! - I think it was the first to do it?

Oh, definitely not lol
The opening comes from a popular trope in otome games thst are set in faux medieval european settings. The public denouncement by the prince was originally a cliche where the villainess recieves her just punishment at the end of the game but later got subverted into a trope to show what an asshole the prince is and thereby set up a "rags to riches" plotline for the MC with a newer and better love interest

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

this story has some parallels with some stories we've seen already (MagiRevo, PBMMV are definite ones I've noticed) but it also has some of its own thing going on (at least as far as I've seen).

I think I'll be following this.

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Huh, that was the worst cross dressing ever. I mean, anyway, I love this villainess stuff, when it's yuri, so yay!!!

joined Apr 16, 2022

Fed Up Office Lady features a villainess as a love interest whose plans are legitimately evil.

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

Fed Up Office Lady features a villainess as a love interest whose plans are legitimately evil.

Yeah, that was my example but it still falls into the same category as the commenter mentioned. We still don't know her full plans (as compared to the game version) and I doubt it goes fully bad without explanations/backstory etc. The author seems to be interested in the romance more than anything as well. It's still a story with a main couple comprised of a powerful tsundere and a woman who wants to save her. But that one was the closest I could think of, as well.

last edited at May 25, 2023 12:44PM

joined Jul 19, 2021

Another story with the same start but a fun sort of twist is May I Ask You One Final Thing? Which is not Yuri, but it turns out the scorned woman is kind of a fight-crazy girl who proceeds to punch out everyone at the party where she's rejected, and then goes on to join a different prince in cleaning out the kingdom of all the people who supported her ex-fiance.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I'd say. The original Miya-sama, in the manga, returned Rei's feelings but refused to admit it and instead did everything she could to hurt Rei. Only after Rei's suicide she realizes how badly she screwed up; she's devastated by grief, and it is implied in her scenes with Nanako that she will become a better person. (Actually my personal fanon is that she and Nanako will end up together after bonding over their love for Rei, hehe.)

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Pretty normie opening, but crown princess of a foreign power could be interesting...

MagiRevo at home:

But Tilty is the protagonist.

Just like MagiRevo, then. (⁠~⁠‾⁠▿⁠‾⁠)⁠~

last edited at May 25, 2023 2:55PM

Yurinium_replenished
joined Jan 27, 2021

tbf, most "villainesses" aren't really die-hard villains but more on-the-ground antagonists or (romantic) rivals without any special powers.

And in this case, it just uses the "villainess start" template to get the plot moving, she isn't even "evil", she just has powers that are rare and come from an odd source and is just married off for the purpose of a convenient political union when she can't inherit the family name due to being a product of her father not being able to control his loins.

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Girls make the best Prince.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Another story with the same start but a fun sort of twist is May I Ask You One Final Thing? Which is not Yuri, but it turns out the scorned woman is kind of a fight-crazy girl who proceeds to punch out everyone at the party where she's rejected, and then goes on to join a different prince in cleaning out the kingdom of all the people who supported her ex-fiance.

funny manga but the main love interest guy is oddly infuriating to me (possibly because he's a guy)

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

@Random_Bird Fair enough - it was the first time i've seen it - but I bet its the first time it was done with the jilted woman going on the yuri route :) - rather than to some Ikemen harem.

last edited at May 25, 2023 4:28PM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Huh, that was the worst cross dressing ever. I mean, anyway, I love this villainess stuff, when it's yuri, so yay!!!

Lol- i agree. How is she fooling anyone like that? Especially with the long hair. She looks exactly like a woman dressed up in a prince's outfit.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I dont mind generic starts since it feels like an obligatory ch 1 set up nowadays, but I'm always down for new villianess yuri no matter how many times I see it lol. The real story starts ch 2 so gotta wait and see how it plays out from here.

At least it isn't isekai villainess. Now that I am pretty tired of.

joined Aug 13, 2021

The only cross-dressing that would make sense here is if the princess is a trans girl : no matter how much you have changed physically and grown your hair, if you don't come out, sometimes people will straight up not connect the dots. I doubt this manga will be going down this road though.

66f-1
joined Dec 27, 2020

The only cross-dressing that would make sense here is if the princess is a trans girl : no matter how much you have changed physically and grown your hair, if you don't come out, sometimes people will straight up not connect the dots. I doubt this manga will be going down this road though.

Or she's just cross dressing because men are respected more than women in that sort of environment (sexism was/is a pretty big thing), so she prefers that the outside world sees her as a male. And she's potentially a lesbian, and the easiest way to get women to come with her in that sort of time period and culture would be to make them think she's a guy at first. Nothing to do with them being trans or whatever

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Lol- i agree. How is she fooling anyone like that? Especially with the long hair. She looks exactly like a woman dressed up in a prince's outfit.

Strange. To me, she seemed taller and with a more masculine body shape.
For now, and while waiting for clarification in further chapters, I'm on the side of those who think she used body alteration magic.

(It would in fact be a very original premise for a yuri manga, an almost unheard of development that I'd love to see: a main character who can turn herself into a real man, a strapping ikemen with a male body, a d*ck and everything. Now that is something that would make her girlfriend sexually confused as all hell, lmao.)

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Girls make the best Prince.

My avatar agrees with you.

joined Aug 13, 2021

Or she's just cross dressing because men are respected more than women in that sort of environment (sexism was/is a pretty big thing), so she prefers that the outside world sees her as a male. And she's potentially a lesbian, and the easiest way to get women to come with her in that sort of time period and culture would be to make them think she's a guy at first. Nothing to do with them being trans or whatever

Sorry I didn't express myself well. I meant the only way the cross-dressing would work on others, because she looks nothing like a guy while cross-dressed as the prince.

To reply you must either login or sign up.