Forum › The Daughter of Evil and Miss Devil discussion

joined Apr 16, 2022

while I enjoyed the second chapter, it kind of made me wish this wasn't isekai lol. both the villainess and the demon lord actually have really interesting backstories and character concepts, and with them meeting as kids I don't really see what the isekai element adds.

regardless though, this is still quite fun. thanks for the translation!

snowangel526
Pity
joined Jan 11, 2014

I hope there is a reason why both of the parents are blonde but the child turned out to be black and blue hair

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

I hope they figure out a way for the "Villainess" to do magic. That'd be a good way to really upend the original plot.

Yurinium_replenished
joined Jan 27, 2021

I don't really see what the isekai element adds.

I mean, if this plays out like various other isekai manhua (and even some manga like The fed-up OL wants to serve the Villainness), it's going to be about them using their knowledge of the work they're in to find a way to evade the fate the work has placed upon them, in this case likely social ostracization for the villainness and death for the Demon Lord.

last edited at May 1, 2023 11:23PM

joined Aug 21, 2017

I hope there is a reason why both of the parents are blonde but the child turned out to be black and blue hair

Adoption?

joined Aug 21, 2017

I mean, if this plays out like various other isekai manhua (and even some manga like The fed-up OL wants to serve the Villainness), it's going to be about them using their knowledge of the work they're in to find a way to evade the fate the work has placed upon them, in this case likely social ostracization for the villainness and death for the Demon Lord.

I figured it'd add another social dynamic, where they're both trying to hide the fact that they've transmigrated until they reveal it, probably simultaneously.

joined Apr 16, 2022

But you don't need isekai for that. The villainess already faces ostracization if anyone finds out she's faking her magic; the demon lord already risks a lot because she's a street urchin going to an elite magic school that presumably will contain a bunch of classists. There's plenty of conflict already without adding in a "fate itself is against our protagonists" element.

Yurinium_replenished
joined Jan 27, 2021

But you don't need isekai for that. The villainess already faces ostracization if anyone finds out she's faking her magic; the demon lord already risks a lot because she's a street urchin going to an elite magic school that presumably will contain a bunch of classists. There's plenty of conflict already without adding in a "fate itself is against our protagonists" element.

These stories are built on the proposition that the characters the main duo got transmogrified into are, per se, fictional characters with no agency of their own because they're, again, fictional characters, who are usually static because they exist only at the stroke of a pen of the author and have no inherent agency in and of themselves. The dynamic that these stories have in common would be comparable to say, someone from our world being transmogrified into, say, Prequel-era Anakin Skywalker and using their knowledge of the universe to stop everything that happens at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

But if you want to stick to strictly in-universe logic, I guess you could argue that, because they have a connection they did not have in the original novel from their previous lives (we don't know if there's any relationship between the demon lord and villainness outside of them being antagonists), them being isekai'd gives them the ability to recognize each other as their previous selves and use that connection to find a new forward.

last edited at May 2, 2023 12:24AM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

These stories are built on the proposition that the characters the main duo got transmogrified into are, per se, fictional characters with no agency of their own because they're, again, fictional characters, who are usually static because they exist only at the stroke of a pen of the author and have no inherent agency in and of themselves. The dynamic that these stories have in common would be comparable to say, someone from our world being transmogrified into, say, Prequel-era Anakin Skywalker and using their knowledge of the universe to stop everything that happens at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

That's pretty much the opposite of every isekai I've read?

Classy-Nessi
23-n%20(1)
joined Dec 10, 2020

Fully onboard for the ride, gimme more of that villany goodness!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

And so they meet.

Yurinium_replenished
joined Jan 27, 2021

That's pretty much the opposite of every isekai I've read?

It's unique to these isekai that reincarnate their protagonist as characters in works of fiction, but all of them work on the principle that there is a character that has no agency until the interference from "our" world happens at which the "other" world shifts from "fiction" (i.e., static,choices can be inferred by the reader but are not acted on, immovable unless an outside force wills it) to "reality" (i.e. dynamic, choices are not externally inferred but actually present, events can be shifted by people within the world).

"Villainness Isekai" is very much the poster child for that, the idea is always "I am now this character who is destined to die because of how the story plays out but now that the story is no longer a story I am able to shape it at will".

Fvwhfw_xoaawl_w
joined Feb 16, 2016

pretty good setup. sounds like it could be a slay. also agree with the point that it would also be interesting without the isekai element

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

while I enjoyed the second chapter, it kind of made me wish this wasn't isekai lol. both the villainess and the demon lord actually have really interesting backstories and character concepts, and with them meeting as kids I don't really see what the isekai element adds.

regardless though, this is still quite fun. thanks for the translation!

They both get to have interesting machinations and plans. You're basically getting two all knowing game breaking Isekai protagonists instead of one. It's fun to watch them both attempt the same things but from different angles and based on their different personalities. Plus since they don't realize who the other is it also makes their interactions more interesting, as they seem to fall for each other (unknowingly) all over again. They're kind of competing against each other and not at the same time, all without realizing it. All of this then feeds into the other characters interactions and plans from outside forces. And since they operate on opposite sides of the story (eventual demon lord?, "light side"), it also allows for perspective shifting without breaking any narrative patterns. The concept is actually really clever and wouldn't work nearly as well without the Isekai start (or an equivalent replacement). Because of this it works really well as a novel too.

last edited at May 15, 2023 4:59PM

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

They both have a bad case of Anime. How long until they finally have a civil conversation with one another?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I am surprised they haven't recognized each other at first glance. Also, the magic of money is still the strongest magic.

They both have a bad case of Anime. How long until they finally have a civil conversation with one another?

A 100 chapters, at least.

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

"That girl is pretty. But she's annoying. But really pretty."

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

"That girl is pretty. But she's annoying. But really pretty."

Eventual conclusion: "I'm down bad."

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, that could have gone better... :D

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

Once they get together and have magic lesbian babies, then there'll be powerful magic in the non-magic noble family. No need to buy their kids' way in like this :3

joined Oct 3, 2021

I am surprised they haven't recognized each other at first glance.

I mean, realistically, how? xD

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

The same way they, realistically, have been reincarnated as characters in a book. :-)

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

The same way they, realistically, have been reincarnated as characters in a book. :-)

Do either of them know the light novel well enough to tell if people are acting out of character?

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Do either of them know the light novel well enough to tell if people are acting out of character?

No they're strangers to each other and there's no reason strangers would reveal their secrets to each other. That's not really a natural conversational starter and neither of them know the other also got reincarnated.

last edited at May 18, 2023 4:36PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

They didn't recognize each other... The future looks angst-colored...

To reply you must either login or sign up.