Forum › Looking Up to Magical Girls discussion

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

[...] which Utena is currently helping to turn into outright love.

Now that you've said this, I can only wonder how no one including me saw this before... After all, she also did the same for Loco and Leber. :D

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

There's various Yuri based news pages on social media, and anime news, where some interactions have generally been positive I should say, but I've seen various people that are also mixed and others that don't want this to get adapted. Also as someone who is a Fate fan I can tell you Fate/Kaleid gets a TON of hate on social media. If you've seen just positive comments on all of this I believe it though, I have a friend that tells me she doesn't see any of the hate I see. I feel like social media just tries to give me a headache sometimes, and other people are really good / very lucky with avoiding it haha

Fate fandom isn't exactly monolithic though and most of the criticism I've seen of Prillya is from Fate fans who complain they have to watch lolis while apparently forgetting that Saber is forever 14. I've read Fate/stay night and Fate/hollow ataraxia but I'm pretty casual compared to people who have a catalog of Nasu interviews to prove who best girl is (its Caren)

Otherwise I mean... if you can't give me any examples I gotta go with my eyes here and the fact I haven't seen anything like what you're talking about on Twitter, Reddit, even MAL where people are kinda nuts. If you're looking for shit takes or following people known for consistent shit takes I'm sure you can find them but in my experience if there is controversy its usually around problematic mainstream series like Mushoku Tensei where Rudy is... a dealbreaker for many. My bigger concern for this series is licensing because HiDive took a 'wait and see' approach with Immoral Guild, though I'm sure someone will fansub it if nothing else.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

There's various Yuri based news pages on social media, and anime news, where some interactions have generally been positive I should say, but I've seen various people that are also mixed and others that don't want this to get adapted. Also as someone who is a Fate fan I can tell you Fate/Kaleid gets a TON of hate on social media. If you've seen just positive comments on all of this I believe it though, I have a friend that tells me she doesn't see any of the hate I see. I feel like social media just tries to give me a headache sometimes, and other people are really good / very lucky with avoiding it haha

Fate fandom isn't exactly monolithic though and most of the criticism I've seen of Prillya is from Fate fans who complain they have to watch lolis while apparently forgetting that Saber is forever 14. I've read Fate/stay night and Fate/hollow ataraxia but I'm pretty casual compared to people who have a catalog of Nasu interviews to prove who best girl is (its Caren)

Otherwise I mean... if you can't give me any examples I gotta go with my eyes here and the fact I haven't seen anything like what you're talking about on Twitter, Reddit, even MAL where people are kinda nuts. If you're looking for shit takes or following people known for consistent shit takes I'm sure you can find them but in my experience if there is controversy its usually around problematic mainstream series like Mushoku Tensei where Rudy is... a dealbreaker for many. My bigger concern for this series is licensing because HiDive took a 'wait and see' approach with Immoral Guild, though I'm sure someone will fansub it if nothing else.

Well Saber is an adult just with a body that stopped aging after a certain point. Though we're getting too off topic with Fate so putting that aside. I can say I'm expressly NOT looking for angry people, I just somehow run into them on social media more than various people seem to. Also as I said if you're not running into any negative takes that's good, you're like my friend that luckily manages to avoid the nonsense. As I've said I somehow run into a lot of it, and that's part of why I don't want to jump back into it and intentionally look for the nonsense just to prove a point or whatever, I don't feel like I have anything to prove and it's not worth the mental health toll.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

Well Saber is an adult just with a body that stopped aging after a certain point.

That's what all the 500 year old lolis say...

As I've said I somehow run into a lot of it, and that's part of why I don't want to jump back into it and intentionally look for the nonsense just to prove a point or whatever, I don't feel like I have anything to prove and it's not worth the mental health toll.

I mean that's your prerogative but I don't know you from Adam and have no reason to take you at your word. If you change your mind I'll be around.

Anime%20girl%20bong%20small
joined Jan 1, 2022

Also as someone who is a Fate fan I can tell you Fate/Kaleid gets a TON of hate on social media.

I can confirm this because I am one of the haters. The REAL Illya is 18 years old and evil. I will never acknowledge Fate/Kaleid.

We're only getting half the story here. This doesn't explain Lord's feelings.

I don't know, that ice pick confession was pretty convincing.... Who wouldn't fall for her?

Trotsky, probably.

joined Sep 27, 2017

Well Saber is an adult just with a body that stopped aging after a certain point.

That's what all the 500 year old lolis say...

As I've said I somehow run into a lot of it, and that's part of why I don't want to jump back into it and intentionally look for the nonsense just to prove a point or whatever, I don't feel like I have anything to prove and it's not worth the mental health toll.

I mean that's your prerogative but I don't know you from Adam and have no reason to take you at your word. If you change your mind I'll be around.

That's fine, just like you have no reason to take me at my word I don't know you either, and so I have nothing to prove to you myself. It works out well like that. So all I can say is good bye and nice chatting :)

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

DUDE THEY'RE MAKING AN ANIME LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOO
all my faves get axed. the universe is finally throwing me a bone I literally can't fucking contain my self im gonna explode

okay okay. but like. this chapter. Berserga being a freaky little yandere but in a wholesome way nursing her girl back to health and keeping her safe is so adorable. the meat eating scene was very kinky, i feel blessed. I think this is really interesting, bc it took Enorme getting humbled for her to actually see someone else reach out to her, and experience a connection that is not founded in her power. Berserga likes her bc she's strong, obviously, but she's entering this relationship not from a place of power but as a product of someone else's care, and I think that's a really cool potential angle on her maybe changing?

It seems like Utena, in her infinite wisdom, is going to try to pull the type of shit she did with Loco and Leber, and try to get Enorme to experience a type of intimate emotional connection that might pull her out of the isolated headspace she was in. I totally wouldn't have predicted that path for her and that sounds so cool.

I'm a bit worried what Vena was up to though...

joined Sep 27, 2017

Same, I really hope Vena gets a butt kicking in the near future heh

Baiser_ugly_flower
joined Nov 26, 2022

Baiser seems to be on to Vena, at least to some extent. Could happen.... :)

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

I have been eagerly anticipating Vena eating shit for like three arcs now, I'm so ready.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

I can confirm this because I am one of the haters. The REAL Illya is 18 years old and evil. I will never acknowledge Fate/Kaleid.

What about HF True End though? Or all of Heaven's Feel really. Stupid Nasu cutting the Illya route...

Prisma llya isn't explicit but I still think its more comparable to Akogarate than stuff like Redo. Definitely don't have the Fate bucks but I'm still cautiously optimistic it'll get a good studio. I still can't think of a good seiyuu for Utena but if I had to pick one I'd probably go for Yamaoka Yuri mostly for her VN roles. We'll see I suppose.

Baiser_ugly_flower
joined Nov 26, 2022

I have been eagerly anticipating Vena eating shit for like three arcs now, I'm so ready.

We've all been scarred by Kyubey haven't we?

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Nah, he's just clearly been a conniving little shit since... actually, I think I've been waiting for him to get his since the start, actually.

Baiser_ugly_flower
joined Nov 26, 2022

Nah, he's just clearly been a conniving little shit since... actually, I think I've been waiting for him to get his since the start, actually.

Although he is surprisingly popular as a social media influencer, with 20k followers. What is his channel even like? Is he Enormeeta's PR guy or is that his personal account?

joined Aug 11, 2022

I wouldn't say Illya is evil (Yes she is 18). More like Fate/Kaleid is more of an AU(alternative universe) where Illya wasn't abused by her family [her mother dying for a monkey paw wish device=dying for nothing] and told by her grandpa that her father abandon her for some random kid (Shirou) which cause her to direct all her fking hate to him since her father died [grandpa force her daddy away since he too cripple to fight or see her]. It fine to not accept it since that Illya is very different and not the same age and had the love of both her parents without any abuse...sometimes what makes a person who they are or what people considered that person is more than just their DNA and appearance...It also the history of that person sometimes and what they experience. That illya is also Illya...but also not the Illya you know and probably like lol XD

Anyways enough about fate and more on to our amazing MC.

Looking forward to seeing MC stage things so the ex-leaderess of force of evil try to fight to safe her waifu.
Will it be
A.) Fight at first but team up with the magical girls to save her captured waifu
B.) try to save her waifu but get captured then DOM before MC watch wrestle in bed?
C.) MC and her team fight it out in a 3 way battle before eventually getting team rocketed?
D.) All of the above?
E) Something we won't expect and totally new(unexpected will occur)

Twitter is probably going to have a stroke and go all SJW butthurt and some snobby elite media site trying to slander the upcoming anime ....but it Twitter...their very existence should be ignored when they complain or try to pointless cancel whatever they do not like (which is fking almost 90% of everything). You would figure they would do something more productive to help the world but they are too lazy and rather just complain/insult stuff to feel morally superior XD

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Can we please stop discussing Fate here? This thread is a Looking Up to Magical Girls discussion, where I'd like to discuss Looking Up to Magical Girls.

Which basically proves their point, doesn't it? :D I think ever since Madoka, the reasonable suspicion about the motives of any non-human entity granting superhuman powers to children before putting them in life-threatening situations has become a genre staple, especially in subversive works like this one.

last edited at Mar 25, 2023 7:29AM

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Which basically proves their point, doesn't it? :D I think ever since Madoka, the reasonable suspicion about the motives of any non-human entity granting superhuman powers to children before putting them in life-threatening situations has become a genre staple, especially in subversive works like this one.

Uh, no. Venalita never presented an air of innocence, nor did it give Utena even the illusion of choice. It FORCED the role of Baiser onto her.

Here, third actual page in the whole comic: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/looking_up_to_magical_girls_ch01#6

And then when she expresses that's not what she wants, it blackmails her a couple pages later.

This isn't anything like being suspicious because of genre savvy, it's being "suspicious" after we watched a crime take place. And everything we've seen of it only makes it more clear that it has an agenda and it sucks.

The Incubator is insidious, but there's no sense giving it credit it didn't earn.

last edited at Mar 25, 2023 3:02PM

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Not sure why, but the talk about Kyubey suddenly has me grateful it was named Kyubey and not Beta or Inkyu (because kyubey is the only part of incubator that isn't easy to turn into an immature sex joke)

last edited at Mar 27, 2023 9:16PM

AutumnWaterXIII
joined May 29, 2022

I’m confused about what happened between 46 and 47… so at the end of 46 lord is surrounded by baiser and the others, then start of 47 she’s just alone? How she manage to escape them? Or did they just left her alone there? Ig they did.

Baiser_ugly_flower
joined Nov 26, 2022

On page 9 of this chapter Sister Gigant is looking down at Lord as she conveniently finds the trans items she needs. Might this imply that Gigant put them there for her to find?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

On page 9 of this chapter Sister Gigant is looking down at Lord as she conveniently finds the trans items she needs. Might this imply that Gigant put them there for her to find?

Not necessarily. Vena may have just had her discard Lord for extra irony in the same pile where they discarded the items. Her return as Imitatio was certainly an unwelcome surprise for Vena, at least, and stopped Vena's plans for a bit. Although Gigant also quietly opposing Vena's real plans would be an interesting development as well.

Sshot-8
joined Oct 25, 2011

Pretty sure she did it deliberately given her fake bafflement over the missing transformation items.

joined Apr 6, 2013

Thats our Utena, even when she loses she wins

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Utena covertly reforming Lord into a proper magical girl is just the best.

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019

Dear Princess Celestia,
Today, I've learned a valuable lesson in friendship. That is that during a fight against Imitatio, you do not want to get caught with 'Love Potion #13' (unless you are Sayo)
Sincerely, your loyal student <3

last edited at Apr 26, 2023 6:09PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.