Forum › The Fed Up Office Lady Wants to Serve the Villainess discussion

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

I'm glad I read these two chapters back-to-back, because it really does work excellently as a two-parter. Chapter 6 established the original course of events, and then Chapter 7 shows the small but key differences; even if the destination is the same, the path there is distinctly not. It's interesting to me that while certainly incited to be angrier on Natori's behalf than her original self, after a certain point in the duel, Diana started to look like she was enjoying herself. Still angry, but kind of embracing it in a weird way.

At the same time, something else interesting to me is that other than Natori's presence, not a whole lot has actively changed leading up to this? If I recall correctly, what Natori said to Diana during that discussion of her magical strength was almost identical to what OG!Lapis said, just perhaps phrased a bit less eloquently outside of that one specific line? And like, being jelly of the prince instead of falling for him. On that note, the line near the end of Chapter 7, about how he has an active obligation to help problem students, gives me the vibe that that was his reason for tutoring Diana even in the OG timeline, even if it wasn't stated so explicitly there. In essence, while I do feel like yeah, she is most definitely more bloodthirsty-leaning in this timeline, she's still not actually as far off from her game version as one might think; it's as much a difference of framing as it is Natori's influence, particularly in the choice of showing the destruction to the courtyard that got glossed over in (Natori's recollections of) the game. Again, I really enjoy how this is putting that Might Makes Right attitude under the microscope, even as it furthers the possibility of a heroine/villainess role reversal.

Though I don't know if this is just poly bias on my part, but I'm not entirely sure this will be going for something that straightforward. It's interesting to me that the ending of chapter 7 made a point of showing Diana's response to Lapis wasn't envy, but almost regret? That, plus what she said to the prince about how despite her power, she couldn't meaningfully protect Natori. Like, yes, the manga is making a point to show her in a darker light than her original self, and this can further snowball into a full Corruption arc, given enough time, but they're also taking care to show the attributes that made her a good heroine in the first place. That, in combination with the still-extreme nature of what little of Lapis's plan has been revealed to us, makes me wonder if they won't actually go for a full reversal, but rather a much more muddied and grey take on the original course of events where neither party is fully in the right or wrong.

The brief direct interaction between Lapis and Diana toward the end of the chapter was also interesting. Partially from Lapis once again taking an opportunity to foist Natori off on the Prince, (this time more successfully than her first attempt, it would seem) which makes me suspicious there's a specific goal in that beyond just putting distance between them, but mostly in how she responded to Diana's frustrations. In pointing out how protection magic is more complicated than offensive, she shifts away most of the blame Diana's putting on herself, along with encouraging her to take this chance to fix that gap. It honestly doesn't feel that far off from how she then talks to Natori about her self-esteem issues. I think that rather than singling out Natori specifically, she's trying to get both of them to grow into better versions of themselves, which is interesting. However, this being Lapis, there is still a certain level of necessary questioning about if this is genuinely done for its own sake, or as a part of her big-picture plans. Still, it makes me feel like, from her perspective at least, both are equally important. Here's how Poly can still wi- shot

last edited at May 9, 2023 10:37PM

joined Jun 27, 2022

I saw in japanese polls that Diana is more popular than Lapis, it's not surprising since shes way more relatable and open with her feelings. The scary face she puts on when fighting is something else.

I still prefer Lapis, her expressions might be limited but they look absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully the story will shift back to Lapis and natori in the future chapter's. We need more character Growth for Lapis

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

is it just me or Diana start to give off yandere vibe ?

That would be quite a twist if she turns out to be the crazy one and not Lapis, even if that's an unlikely scenario :P

But yeah, she's clinging onto Natori a bit too much for my liking. She needs to back off sometime and give the poor lady some space to breathe. Maybe in the next chapter, she's too occupied training with the prince and Natori could sneak off to see Lapis for a moment.

As for Natori, she's becoming like a damsel in distress that needs rescuing all the time, which is kind of frustrating. She may be an ordinary person with no magical power but surely there has to be something she can actually do. Since she has knowledge of certain events, perhaps she should be actively finding ways to prevent Lapis's death. At least it's better than just standing around on the sideline and hoping things don't come to pass.

last edited at Apr 19, 2023 8:10PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

Surely there has to be something she can actually do

She can organize Lapis's files like they've never been organized before!

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Surely there has to be something she can actually do

She can organize Lapis's files like they've never been organized before!

You may be saying that in jest, but modern paperwork organization techniques are no minor business. Double-entry bookkeeping, while a simple enough idea on the surface to us, was a game-changer in the 14th century -- a single idea that basically funded the Renaissance (okay, I exaggerate, but not too much). Efficient file organization is likewise boring, but it enables organizational coherence on a scale unseen in the pre-modern times the game seems to be emulating. Whatever Lapis is planning, if it involves more than a dozen people, good paperwork (and good codes) is going to make it happen much faster than any magical talent or precognition.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Semi-jest. I think a few chapters ago hinted at Lapis being impressed by that aspect of Natori, and that I called out the true fantasy of having OL skills useful in an isekai.

joined May 26, 2016

they are going to start fighting over the MC soon ofc

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

I'm starting to get won over by the faction of Poly because I like both characters. Unless they introduce a new female character who matches well with one of them, I wouldn't mind if the 3 of them end up together

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

I'm starting to get won over by the faction of Poly because I like both characters. Unless they introduce a new female character who matches well with one of them, I wouldn't mind if the 3 of them end up together

The least exciting outcome. I want to see some hurt feelings. Or at least duke it out first if that route is chosen for whatever reason.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

big agree with ColdGoldLazarus with the dissection of ch6 and ch7.

although I also agree with REDflame23

joined Dec 28, 2017

Really hope it ends up Lapis/MC/Diana

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So, why exactly does Natori suddenly have a calculator on her? O_o

Also, way to break the plot even more, Natori. :D

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

She had her handbag with her when she got summoned, so I guess she carries one around! You never know when one of your scumbag no-good freeloading coworkers will ask you to do basic sums for them

61f8f9de6afa98bcb0f186a1_736_640_20945%20(1)
joined Mar 25, 2021

i just love how the prince is the biggest supporter for our main ship

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

The plot of this series is very interesting, even beyond the relationships. I look forward to seeing more of what's happening with Lapis and how events will shift from the game to now. Natori clearly has a lot on her plate in order to protect Lapis. It's also a nice twist that although she views Diana and Gran as friends for now, she knows that in the game they end up killing Lapis. There is always that sense of uneasiness about their interactions and I wonder if there will be a point where they come into conflict because of Natori's siding with Lapis in whatever she's doing. Could be really fun if done right.

I also wonder what the prince's role will be. He seems to feel sorry for Lapis and now sees Natori as the person who can break Lapis's shell (and whatever "chess" game she's playing behind the scenes). He implies that he might have tried but failed. And by his quote and story, it seems Lapis also feels she is forced into a certain path with no other options. Either way, we need more Lapis time. Either way, we need more Lapis time.

This chapter has also just made it clearer that Lapis' place by Natori is different, special, and romantic. She's clearly crushing and the prince knows she's in denial. I really like Diana and Natori's friendship though (even though Diana hopes that it's more). Diana is a really good person and will hopefully be a strong ally moving forward regardless of all the relationship stuff.

Something I didn't see, though, is a potential romantic "off-ramp" for Diana with Gran. It's common to present and hint at an "off-ramp" in these kinds of "love triangles," but I hadn't seen anything for Diana before. In this chapter, though brief, they positioned Diana and Gran visually in a way similar to characters who fight a lot and therefore "must get along," or "must like each other." Natori even specifically commented on how nice their situation seemed (even nicer than from the game). The scene even went so far as to use the series' visual language for an emotional moment (the shapes floating around them). It is true that in the game these two end up together--and there's no reason to assume anyone here is strictly only into women--so I wonder if that is the direction this will go in as well (if/when Diana moves on from Natori like I expect she will at some point)? I'd be surprised if it did go that direction at some point in the future though, since I can't imagine Diana supporters would like it no matter how nice Bran may end up being. But it's interesting either way and the author chooses the direction their comfortable with.

last edited at May 11, 2023 7:50AM

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

The plot of this series is very interesting, even beyond the relationships. I look forward to seeing more of what's happening with Lapis and how events will shift from the game to now. Natori clearly has a lot on her plate in order to protect Lapis. It's also a nice twist that although she views Diana and Gran as friends for now, she knows that in the game they end up killing Lapis. There is always that sense of uneasiness about their interactions and I wonder if there will be a point where they come into conflict because of Natori's siding with Lapis in whatever she's doing. Could be really fun if done right.

I also wonder what the prince's role will be. He seems to feel sorry for Lapis and now sees Natori as the person who can break Lapis's shell (and whatever "chess" game she's playing behind the scenes). He implies that he might have tried but failed. And by his quote and story, it seems Lapis also feels she is forced into a certain path with no other options. Either way, we need more Lapis time. Either way, we need more Lapis time.

This chapter has also just made it clearer that Lapis' place by Natori is different, special, and romantic. She's clearly crushing and the prince knows she's in denial. I really like Diana and Natori's friendship though (even though Diana hopes that it's more). Diana is a really good person and will hopefully be a strong ally moving forward regardless of all the relationship stuff.

Something I didn't see, though, is a potential romantic "off-ramp" for Diana with Gran. It's common to present and hint at an "off-ramp" in these kinds of "love triangles," but I hadn't seen anything for Diana before. In this chapter, though brief, they positioned Diana and Gran visually in a way similar to characters who fight a lot and therefore "must get along," or "must like each other." Natori even specifically commented on how nice their situation seemed (even nicer than from the game). The scene even went so far as to use the series' visual language for an emotional moment (the shapes floating around them). It is true that in the game these two end up together--and there's no reason to assume anyone here is strictly only into women--so I wonder if that is the direction this will go in as well (if/when Diana moves on from Natori like I expect she will at some point)? I'd be surprised if it did go that direction at some point in the future though, since I can't imagine Diana supporters would like it no matter how nice Bran may end up being. But it's interesting either way and the author chooses the direction their comfortable with.

I assume that part of the reason Natori likes the new version of Diana and Gran's interactions is that they are more varied, rather than the narrow, increasingly romantic ones in the game. As for the "arguments = closeness" trope, friends can often feel even freer to argue and diss each other.

joined Sep 10, 2022

I assume that part of the reason Natori likes the new version of Diana and Gran's interactions is that they are more varied, rather than the narrow, increasingly romantic ones in the game. As for the "arguments = closeness" trope, friends can often feel even freer to argue and diss each other.

Certainly possible. But I wouldn't call Diana and Prince friends at this point. Diana also did not say that she enjoyed the new variation. In fact she actually seemed a bit negative at first that the "lovingly soothing" scene had now turned into arguing ("eeek"). It was then that she noticed how they seemed to be enjoying their interactions even more so than in the game, where they did end up together. So whether that's a flag that they're even closer than they were in the game (or at least have the potential to be) is up in the air. But that's why I specifically mentioned romance, because they end up together in the game, partly after this interaction; and in this scene Natori is saying they seem even closer than they were in the game (which could similarly imply eventual romance). The two of them have had very interesting interactions this whole manga as well, even in previous chapters. So if it does happen, there's seeds that have been planted by the author along the way. They could easily become a pair of allies to Lapis and Natori, rather than the antagonists they are in the game. So, we'll see. It's definitely still too early to say for sure.

last edited at May 11, 2023 10:41AM

naschyamamoto
Alit%20rider%20kick!
joined Jun 22, 2022

Nice to get some insight into the prince without shifting him into a romantic relationship with Natori. Also Diana is as spunky as always, especially against the prince lol.

joined Apr 16, 2022

I can see how this chapter could be used to seed a GranxDiana end, and given the game Diana is almost certainly bi. But I don't think that's the only reason the scene could exist either. The main point of the chapter as a whole is Natori coming to realize that, while she loves the game, she disagrees with some of its major themes -- most notably, that Gran "should" sacrifice his own happiness for the sake of the country. Similarly, now that she actually knows Diana and Gran personally, she's coming to see their romance in the game as, while sweet and charming, also rather bland and lifeless. So a "Diana and Gran work better as rivals" upshot seems at least as likely imo.

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

She had her handbag with her when she got summoned, so I guess she carries one around! You never know when one of your scumbag no-good freeloading coworkers will ask you to do basic sums for them

I'm not even kidding, my mom used to carry a calculator exactly like that with her in her purse. It was just used for whenever she was shopping to calculate stuff like taxes and discounts, back when she didn't own a smartphone. This has to be like almost 15 years ago though and this comment made me remember this random fact that I'd forgotten LOL

joined Sep 10, 2022

I can see how this chapter could be used to seed a GranxDiana end, and given the game Diana is almost certainly bi. But I don't think that's the only reason the scene could exist either. The main point of the chapter as a whole is Natori coming to realize that, while she loves the game, she disagrees with some of its major themes -- most notably, that Gran "should" sacrifice his own happiness for the sake of the country. Similarly, now that she actually knows Diana and Gran personally, she's coming to see their romance in the game as, while sweet and charming, also rather bland and lifeless. So a "Diana and Gran work better as rivals" upshot seems at least as likely imo.

Yeah it's possible. We'll have to see more. However I'd contest the idea that Natori views their relationship in game as "bland and lifeless." She never says this or thinks this. The only thoughts about their game interactions she has are positive. She thinks of their scene from the game as a "lovingly calming scene," and says no more about it. She just recognized that in this new interaction the "players" seem even more close and enjoying themselves even greater than before. That "bland and lifeless" I think is maybe your own feelings on the issue, but I don't see the character suggesting that same feeling verbally or through actions. Beyond that I agree that the possibilities are still varied at the moment.

As for the chapter's purpose: I think this chapter was more focused on introducing this idea of people chained to their destiny, especially Lapis (and Natori's potential to be the breaker of those chains, as she does a bit for Gran). Gran was/is chained and he seems to suggest that Natori might be the one to show Lapis that there is another path. This implies that Lapis also views herself as having no other path but whatever one she is on. So from my perspective, the story is setting up/foreshadowing Natori and Lapis here, more than just contrasting the game. In fact this whole first volume seems like mostly worldbuilding and setup, as we still do not know Lapis's desires, plans, background, history, relationships etc. She's purposefully still a mystery and I expect she'll start coming into focus more moving forward.

last edited at May 11, 2023 12:39PM

joined Apr 16, 2022

Yeah it's possible. We'll have to see more. However I'd contest the idea that Natori views their relationship in game as "bland and lifeless." She never says this or thinks this. The only thoughts about their game interactions she has are positive. She thinks of their scene from the game as a "lovingly calming scene," and says no more about it. She just recognized that in this new interaction the "players" seem even more close and enjoying themselves even greater than before. That "bland and lifeless" I think is maybe your own feelings on the issue, but I don't see the character suggesting that same feeling verbally or through actions. Beyond that I agree that the possibilities are still varied at the moment.

I see your point, but Natori re-evaluating her opinions of the game when she meets the characters "IRL" is a consistent theme of the manga. "In the game, Lady Lapis seemed so scary, thinking only of the rules of nobility, but, here, the sight of her wanting to protect the place she admires so much seems so grown-up...or rather, so noble..." "From across the screen of my phone, [Diana] was an earnest, strong-hearted girl whose sense of justice never got in the way of her kindness. . . . But, here, right next to me, is a girl who's scared of her future." You're right that I was exaggerating when I said Natori is coming to view their game relationship as bland and lifeless, but I also don't think that Natori's feelings on the game while it was still a game can ever be assumed to remain the same now that the game is her real life.

As for the chapter's purpose: I think this chapter was more focused on introducing this idea of people chained to their destiny, especially Lapis (and Natori's potential to be the breaker of those chains, as she does a bit for Gran). Gran was/is chained and he seems to suggest that Natori might be the one to show Lapis that there is another path. This implies that Lapis also views herself as having no other path but whatever one she is on. So from my perspective, the story is setting up/foreshadowing Natori and Lapis here, more than just contrasting the game.

This I 100% agree with. I think Nekotarou is using the otome isekai premise to make a thematic point. The characters in "Fairy Tale of Jewels" were obviously chained to their destinies because they were fictional. But even now that it's real life, the characters all feel obligated to follow their prescribed role because they lack the imagination and/or courage to see other paths they could take. Natori's status as an outsider is what enables her to see beyond these limited horizons.

joined Sep 10, 2022

I see your point, but Natori re-evaluating her opinions of the game when she meets the characters "IRL" is a consistent theme of the manga. "In the game, Lady Lapis seemed so scary, thinking only of the rules of nobility, but, here, the sight of her wanting to protect the place she admires so much seems so grown-up...or rather, so noble..." "From across the screen of my phone, [Diana] was an earnest, strong-hearted girl whose sense of justice never got in the way of her kindness. . . . But, here, right next to me, is a girl who's scared of her future." You're right that I was exaggerating when I said Natori is coming to view their game relationship as bland and lifeless, but I also don't think that Natori's feelings on the game while it was still a game can ever be assumed to remain the same now that the game is her real life.

100%. It's just that in those other instances you've shown, she uses clear language to distinctly differentiate her old feelings from her new feelings ("but," "but" etc.). Here, yes she noticed a difference but it's a positive difference, an enhancing difference. She liked their game representation and is initially shocked that they're now "arguing." Then she realizes: essentially, "in the game they were close but here they're seem even closer!" Since they wed in the game, being even closer now might have meaning. That's all I was pointing out. A part of all these types of Isekai villainess game stories is this idea that the game world shifts and stories change and you're right that, that's definitely a major part of this story.

This I 100% agree with. I think Nekotarou is using the otome isekai premise to make a thematic point. The characters in "Fairy Tale of Jewels" were obviously chained to their destinies because they were fictional. But even now that it's real life, the characters all feel obligated to follow their prescribed role because they lack the imagination and/or courage to see other paths they could take. Natori's status as an outsider is what enables her to see beyond these limited horizons.

Yes, and this is partly why I can't wait for the series to bring Lapis back into the fold, fully. Her story with Natori is where we will get to really delve into these issues of destiny and I agree that Nekotarou seems to be doing an interesting spin by having these characters surrounded by
real world reasons for their presumed inability to change their lives. A lot of good worldbuilding and setting of the stage in these first 8 chapters. Their struggles aren't just because of the "game" it's also potentially a commentary on their political lives. Having them struggle with issues outside of "just because" game mechanics is an exciting spin and watching Natori attempt to "save" Lapis from whatever her "preordained purpose" is will be fun.

The only issue I see is that because Lapis has to be sidelined so much to start, it leaves her character in the position of needing to "catch up" to the familiarity other characters have already garnered. But as long as the author knows this and has prepared for that, it's fine.

last edited at May 11, 2023 1:23PM

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Armour piercing question just obliterated his #3 engine room and set a fire that's poised to touch off the aft magazine in short order. Spectacular.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I think this chapter is starting to hint at why Lapis seems to be diving headlong into cackling evil villainy: That's exactly what she's doing.

The way she was talking about how the prince was a player and he needed to be ready to sacrifice pieces, while holding a queen that she ultimately lets fall, implies that she thinks the prince should be willing to sacrifice her. This also seems to line up with the way Natori describes her rampage ending with the prince solidifying his position and Diana gaining authority as a voice of the commoners, who also showed the power they can exert if pushed too far.

When we first saw her scheming, it seemed kind of weird and silly, because obviously slaughtering a bunch of people isn't going to cow their allies, but it is a great way to make everyone hate you and to cast whoever stops you as a Hero. If you do it right, you might even be able to take down the more problematic conservatives at the same time.

To reply you must either login or sign up.