Forum › Subtraction Tautology discussion

Blushy%20(1)
joined Jun 14, 2022

It is a crime that there are 33 chapters of this and only 4 pages of comments at this point. The emotional depth of this story is so high, and it tackles some very difficult subjects in very healthy and realistic ways.

Edit: Hey look, I bumped it to 5!

last edited at Sep 23, 2022 6:25PM

joined Apr 16, 2022

It is a crime that there are 33 chapters of this and only 4 pages of comments at this point.

In fairness it wasn't cross-posted here until chapter 21, so it's more 4 pages (5 now) for 13 chapters. And while I agree it's absolutely excellent, probably my favorite ongoing manga even, I can see why it might not have much mainstream appeal (rough art style, dialogue heavy, slow pacing, etc). But each chapter seems to bring with it an increasing number of comments so it might be building up some steam!

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Just discovered this yesterday and caught up! I like it. Some small thoughts:

It might be just be based on contrast, but the new earrings look like Minamo's eye color, which is so perfect.

Obviously it feels like they like each other, we've had a bunch of badumps from Minamo which is the manga equivalent a big arrow pointing to feelings, but I do think it's interesting that Yurika has spent this entire time denying that she likes Minamo to everyone that knows she's gay. I don't know that it is any more significant than Yurika doesn't expect Minamo to be anything but straight and doesn't want to make her uncomfortable, but even with this pretty much confession, I think Yurika might still be hesitant to believe in something again. I hope I'm wrong, but I imagine there will be more aaaangst in the future as they realize their feelings and can actually name them out loud.

Also, with the way the story has been going so far, no way Yurika and/or Minamo isn't outed in some way at school.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Obviously it feels like they like each other, we've had a bunch of badumps from Minamo which is the manga equivalent a big arrow pointing to feelings, but I do think it's interesting that Yurika has spent this entire time denying that she likes Minamo to everyone that knows she's gay.

I think that has a lot to do with Yurika being scared to at least loose Minamo as a friend. She basically lost her last best friend because she fell in love with her and confessed. (Even though during the pedo arc she was acting kinda jealous in a way about Yurika magically just falling out of love with her). So overall I think that Yurika would rather suffer and like Minamo as long as they're at least friends trope. I think it's going to end up having to be Minamo that makes the first move between this two mainly because I think Yurika is a bit to scared to be rejected the same way again.

I could 100% be wrong but that's what I felt at least played into it a bit.

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Obviously it feels like they like each other, we've had a bunch of badumps from Minamo which is the manga equivalent a big arrow pointing to feelings, but I do think it's interesting that Yurika has spent this entire time denying that she likes Minamo to everyone that knows she's gay.

I mean, Yurika sometimes flirts with Minamo hoping to make her blush, so I don't think she's holding back so much as affectionately making moves and hoping Minamo falls for her. What she knows or doesn't know after this chapter comes down to manga logic and Yurika sometimes being an airhead. My own guess is that Yurika isn't sure if Minamo is forming romantic love, but the affection and some of Minamo's huge reactions as far back as their first conversation have made her seem potentially gay. Minamo is letting things flow naturally out of pure trust, and I think she will recognize her feelings soon.

Also, with the way the story has been going so far, no way Yurika and/or Minamo isn't outed in some way at school.

That makes sense! Plus the rumors in the background are practically a character in itself, and must somehow get even worse later. Someone being outed is perfect for the tone of the story, considering the other threads. I'd add Takuto to that list or as a predecessor, because even if his sexuality isn't what is outed he is self-isolating from boys and keeping some secrets.

last edited at Sep 24, 2022 2:22AM

joined Apr 16, 2022

So overall I think that Yurika would rather suffer and like Minamo as long as they're at least friends trope.

I think it's that, plus Yurika is still pretty traumatized from her disastrous relationship with Reika. Keep in mind it's only been like a few months since they broke up (and she met Minamo immediately afterward).

last edited at Sep 24, 2022 2:29AM

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

So overall I think that Yurika would rather suffer and like Minamo as long as they're at least friends trope.

I think it's that, plus Yurika is still pretty traumatized from her disastrous relationship with Reika. Keep in mind it's only been like a few months since they broke up (and she met Minamo immediately afterward).

That's a good point. Manga time is always difficult to parse until put explicitly into words. I think we could also categorize this as the turning point in Yurika getting over Reika, so hopefully some of her romance hesitancy will also melt under Minamo's sincerity.

joined Jan 11, 2022

I almost didn't read this manga because of the.. strange art style. So so glad I kept with it because now I look forward to every release!

joined Sep 25, 2022

Did people really feel that the art style was that weird? I personally felt that it was quite charming, a simple art style that made room for both light-hearted and emotionally defining moments in the story.

Avarta
joined Sep 11, 2016

I almost didn't read this manga because of the.. strange art style. So so glad I kept with it because now I look forward to every release!

This is why whenever I saw a strange artstyle I always read some of the comments first because when strange artstyle upload here it usually a hidden gem, and of course it require lot of dodging spoiler skills but I glad I took the risk. Also looking for future updates.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Hm So Chihomi has a thing for Sango if the ending means anything right? This chapter had basically nothing happen but at the same time shows that Yurika is 100% over the pedo which is good to hear. I'm glad she's happy for once she was getting so sad and angsty there before/during/after the pedo.

joined Apr 16, 2022

Thanks for the translation! I hope your midterms went well.

Not much to say about the chapter itself, it makes sense to have a more low-key one that focuses on Yurika's character development after the intense flashback arc. I do appreciate how the mangaka is taking time to develop all of Yurika and Minamo's relationships, not just their romance; it goes a long way toward making them fully fleshed-out characters.

And then there's Chihomi...now that's a suspicious line at the end there lol. Unfortunately for her, Sango seems very straight. I looked over the character sheet for a potential pairing for her, and Minamo's classmate Chirua stood out; they're both minor characters, would have a fun "nice girl x mean girl" dynamic, and their names both start with "Chi." What more do you need?

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

I'm not 100% convinced Chihomi has a thing for Sango. She could just be jealous because she wants to spend time with her best friend.

I'm never sure how pronoun usage works in translation, but I did notice the translation made sure that Yurika never used pronouns when talking about Reika while Chihomi kept mentioning boyfriends. Not that she couldn't be bi, of course, but the contrast made me think that her jealousy might not be romantic.

joined Apr 16, 2022

It certainly isn't definitive since Chihomi said it in a joking manner. But I kind of find that more suspicious...it sounded a lot like a "I'm joking to cover up the fact that I'm really serious" situation to me. As for her previous boyfriends, she could be bi or just plain lying. We'll see though!

joined Sep 1, 2021

On one level it was a mellow breather chapter where Yurika seemed warm and happy but... I felt like we finally got to meet Chihomi as a person and she turned out to be jealous of a boyfriend. Together because you're similar, huh?

And then there's Chihomi...now that's a suspicious line at the end there lol. Unfortunately for her, Sango seems very straight. I looked over the character sheet for a potential pairing for her, and Minamo's classmate Chirua stood out; they're both minor characters, would have a fun "nice girl x mean girl" dynamic, and their names both start with "Chi." What more do you need?

I think the love triangle attraction polygon is huge but not necessarily all romantic so much as lonely and possessive. As that character list says, "This is a story of girls who long to be "alike" to someone else", with alike already in quotes. Chihomi is jealous of Yui because she wants more from Sango. Sango always wants more from Yurika, especially compared to her boyfriend, so I think she seemed very gay since the beginning. Chihomi has brief relationships with boys she gets disinterested in and Sango's relationship with Yui is surely doomed. We've never seen either girl romantic towards boys and they both want stronger connections with a girl. I can't be sure either feels gay, bi, or aromantic. It's a bit like Tsubame's feelings towards Tsukie, where even if Tsubame is truly gay it probably won't change much about the arc.

Chirua could definitely be part of the sapphic tangle, but her character hasn't been developed yet and her blush and cheer seems like natural shyness. If she turns out to be into girls then her interest in Minamo early on could be seen in an additional light. I doubt her gentleness is compatible with Chihomi's energy.

Did people really feel that the art style was that weird? I personally felt that it was quite charming, a simple art style that made room for both light-hearted and emotionally defining moments in the story.

Some people have, I get it, and they're wrong. The lines are clean, personalities are clear, and, I repeatedly mention Hikizan Tautology's choice of shots. - Cheers to your first comment (as) Wujuice.

last edited at Oct 15, 2022 11:40PM

sunflower delusions
Hima-ava
joined Apr 12, 2022

I'm never sure how pronoun usage works in translation, but I did notice the translation made sure that Yurika never used pronouns when talking about Reika while Chihomi kept mentioning boyfriends. Not that she couldn't be bi, of course, but the contrast made me think that her jealousy might not be romantic.

It's almost pronounless in Japanese, even with Chihomi. Yurika avoids specifically gendering her former lover, and there's not really any need for Chihomi to use pronouns as the subject is implied. Chihomi assumes that Yurika is interested in men in one statement about how all of the boys their age must seem like idiots- I just generalized that assumption and used 'boyfriend' in places where the subject was assumed.

Also, Chihomi's comments about college boys who date younger girls very much apply to Reika as well.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Time to add Chihomi -> Sango to the giant love polygon that is this series.

In Chinese/Korean/Japanese, it is extremely easy to talk about people without using their gender. It's one of the factors that makes accurate translation very difficult, especially for machines. If you have a paragraph where people are almost always defined using pronouns and you want to translate that to English, you have to have a good grasp of all surrounding story context to get the right gendered pronouns in the translation.

joined Jun 20, 2022

Quite honestly, I would consider this one of the best series on here. It's actually my favorite, as of now. The characters feel indescribably real. Their emotions, their impact, and the display of such is all really, really well done.

I don't have much to say, this series is amazing and I always find myself looking for new chapters for this series first and foremost before anything else.

joined Jan 3, 2020

This latest chapter gives us some more insight on Tsubame. Earlier in the story, we saw her with some pills and I assumed maybe a psychological issue she was treating due to her obsessive nature, but it seems like it is some kind of physical (and potentially terminal? that is maybe what she's hinting at) condition. Best case scenario it is just something that will stop her from being able to dance and not actually terminal.

Also, she has the 'rich yet still shitty jet-setting parents' trope, which explains how she seems to just do whatever she wants with no oversight.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

I saw a theory on here that Tsubame was trans and that those meds were HRT

Sadly that seems to be shut down. I mean, she could still be, could be a headcanon. It was a longshot, tho.

sunflower delusions
Hima-ava
joined Apr 12, 2022

I mean, even in 18 Mayuki's dialogue suggests that it's a bad physical illness

joined Sep 1, 2021

That came off as Tsubame wants to die onstage: dying doing what she loves, next to those she loves, and surrounded by those who love her. Hopefully it's not a literal death so much as losing her ability and having to actually face the unknown future.

I'm now totally convinced the dad will turn out to be a kind of scumbag. The twins are great at surviving but I guess that includes making excuses or imagining what Masahime would say instead of criticizing their father. Suu is happy and is better off without the negativity. Nothing exactly new.

The parents were trash this chapter, just two flavors of neglect. Yet I loved this chapter. Thanks for translating.

last edited at Nov 9, 2022 7:06PM

Illustration2
joined Sep 25, 2021

binged this in 1 go and I cant believe I stumbled on such a gem. Love this series! Love the art style too, it’s so charismatic.

My favorite “arc” so far is the relationship between Yurika and Reika. I like how it was handled so realistically.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Idk whose grades are those but keep up the good work

__amaori_renako_and_ouzuka_mai_watashi_ga_koibito_ni_nareru_wake_naijan_murimuri_drawn_by_monsieur__d7bc0a80fd23f14c58ed2720509220b2
joined Oct 15, 2021

hasnt been that many chapters but i already miss the girl with the orange eyes since she brightens up the dreary setting of our mc, but its still good wish my dad would show up more too ahah ow

To reply you must either login or sign up.