Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Screenshot%202022-04-05%20021706
joined Jun 19, 2014

omg this my favourite part! Now they can blatantly flirt.
Its uphill from here because Koga being a girl hasn't been any part of the issue for Oosawa as far as I remember. And she still calls Koga her crush.

Girls%20last%20tour%20ost%20art
joined Dec 4, 2017

27 chapters in and the story has been completely refreshed.. authors a damn genius! can't wait to see how this unfolds

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

You seem a little unclear on the meaning of the word "essence." Subtexts and stories whose themes are ambiguous or which can be read in multiple ways are the opposite of "essentially" trans stories.

By this argument, the Matrix isn't a trans story, which is extremely untrue, as confirmed by the creators. Y'know, two trans women

I haven't really read up on the current conversation mind, I have no thoughts on that. But queer themes don't need to be, and are very often NOT, explicit. Especially considering how people treat trans people. I dunno if I personally would call this a trans story but I see nothing wrong with someone taking it that way, right?

Anyway, the actual story. I like that she still calls her "her crush"~ that makes me happy.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I dunno if I personally would call this a trans story but I see nothing wrong with someone taking it that way, right?

I have absolutely no problem with that.

But unless the word "essence" has changed its meaning from "the fundamental and invariable nature of a thing" to "sure, it's that if you kinda-sorta look at it in the right light," I stand by what I said.

Diana
joined Jun 3, 2020

I can't believe that i was ignoring this series for the longest time (for no reason) but then i found the author on twitter and somehow gave it a try and now i can't bear to wait for the next chapters >~< and my life yet has another purpose ! this series getting an anime would be so cool >~<

joined Nov 13, 2022

Being a 4-page manga, pacing is indeed an issue in this story, but I think that sometimes it is justified to just skip and give incomplete answers to the readers since the answers themselves are trivial. We know at the beginning of the chapter that they did not have a full conversation, because if they did, we’d get to see it. The author is simply skipping the boring parts and leaving it for flashbacks and assumptions which, given the format, is ok imo.

You can't seriously say that these answers are trivial.

The story is ignoring all the tension and conflict that had been building up for several chapters. Whatever conversation happened after Mitsuki asked the question would not only contain the answer to the question but also continuations to many other things: the fact that Mitsuki is a girl, the fact she pretended to be a guy, her reasons for doing so, the distance they kept from each other for a bit, why they care, etc. All of this was built up and none of it is resolved, addressed or developed simply by having us assume Aya said "yes".

Besides, even if we could make assumptions that answer all of these questions, why not show it? You came up with your own headcanon about what happened so even if we assume you're 100% right about the events, wouldn't you still want to see them? We've just been denied a major culmination of this story.

Imagine if in The Lion King, the story went from Simba looking uphill to see the wildebeest stampeding toward him to Simba having already left and we only learn through dialogue that Mufasa died and Scar took over.
This is what just happened in this story.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I could swear I could hear the achievement unlocked ping, but when I looked around on the screen, I didn't see Idiot couple written anywhere. :-/

Essentially what I came here to say. :D

joined Jul 23, 2014

I love how the last panel is perfectly divided between social anxiety and gay panic

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

GOOD CHAPTER

I'm seeing in the comments that Aya doesn't quite use the word 'crush', but her behavior is pretty gay anyway. Here for it

Also here for an idiot couple tag

last edited at Nov 13, 2022 12:36PM

Bikko
joined Feb 17, 2022

idiot couple time

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

Ah, these two dorks. lol

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019

Koga gotta stop being an accidental flirt

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

Oooooh are we going to see more of those kya kya girls once they learn who the person was?

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

You seem a little unclear on the meaning of the word "essence." Subtexts and stories whose themes are ambiguous or which can be read in multiple ways are the opposite of "essentially" trans stories.

By this argument, the Matrix isn't a trans story, which is extremely untrue, as confirmed by the creators. Y'know, two trans women

Was it "essentially" a trans story before the creator made the comment?

Nauticalstar
joined Sep 25, 2022

They are so adorable together.

joined Sep 20, 2021

Koga-san is such an effortless chad, and she doesn’t even know.

joined Sep 4, 2018

Could people STOP comparing this to being trans? No one is dealing with their gender identity.
Someone is confused about SOMEONE ELSE’S and shenanigans happens.

Thank you! Neither Handsome Girl nor this have anything remotely to do with trans issues, even ignoring the fact the author makes this clear.

Just because someone is a "tomboy" does not make them any less feminine or somehow automatically one questioning their gender. That's a gross oversimplification if a very complex issue. The comic is clearly tagged girls love/yuri and is not tagged Trans or LGBTQ+. Let's leave it at that and move on.

They are so adorable together.
Koga-san is such an effortless chad, and she doesn’t even know.

That's why we love them.

last edited at Nov 13, 2022 2:07PM

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

MITSUKI, AYA, YOU USELESS LESBIANS

and so, begins the story arch of the Idiot couple.

I'm expecting every chapter after this to have the idiot couple tag now.

exactly!

also, I feel like Sumiko might use several love songs to put them into uncompromising situations.

last edited at Nov 13, 2022 1:43PM

Screenshot%202022-05-05%20at%2020.52.05%20copy
joined Sep 23, 2021

Could people STOP comparing this to being trans? No one is dealing with their gender identity.
Someone is confused about SOMEONE ELSE’S and shenanigans happens.

Thank you! Neither Handsome Girl nor this have anything remotely to do with trans issues, even ignoring the fact the author makes this clear.

Just because someone is a "tomboy" does not make them any less feminine or somehow automatically one questioning their gender. That's a gross oversimplification if a very complex issue. The comic is clearly tagged girls love/yuri and is not tagged LGBTQ+. Let's leave it at that and move on.

yes, there's no indication whatsoever that this is a trans story. the presence of shared thematic elements (i.e. queerness, not conforming to stereotypical appearance/behaviour of your bio sex) doesn't make it one, relatable as it might be

anyway, what a cute and good chapter.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I love Aya's back-of-the-hand almost caress in that next-to-last panel.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_guy_she_was_interested_in_wasnt_a_guy_at_all_ch27#4

Fghgjj
joined Feb 21, 2018

I'm more of a lurker on this site, but this chapter gave me the final avatar to use here, bless this chapter

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I'm more of a lurker on this site, but this chapter gave me the final avatar to use here, bless this chapter

LOL THE PROFILE PICTURE!
I was going to use it but you beat me to it

jk we are now matching idc

last edited at Nov 13, 2022 3:32PM

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Being a 4-page manga, pacing is indeed an issue in this story, but I think that sometimes it is justified to just skip and give incomplete answers to the readers since the answers themselves are trivial. We know at the beginning of the chapter that they did not have a full conversation, because if they did, we’d get to see it. The author is simply skipping the boring parts and leaving it for flashbacks and assumptions which, given the format, is ok imo.

You can't seriously say that these answers are trivial.

The story is ignoring all the tension and conflict that had been building up for several chapters. Whatever conversation happened after Mitsuki asked the question would not only contain the answer to the question but also continuations to many other things: the fact that Mitsuki is a girl, the fact she pretended to be a guy, her reasons for doing so, the distance they kept from each other for a bit, why they care, etc. All of this was built up and none of it is resolved, addressed or developed simply by having us assume Aya said "yes".

Besides, even if we could make assumptions that answer all of these questions, why not show it? You came up with your own headcanon about what happened so even if we assume you're 100% right about the events, wouldn't you still want to see them? We've just been denied a major culmination of this story.

Imagine if in The Lion King, the story went from Simba looking uphill to see the wildebeest stampeding toward him to Simba having already left and we only learn through dialogue that Mufasa died and Scar took over.
This is what just happened in this story.

I don't think that's quite fair. Using the same analogy as the Lion King, last chapter was the death of Mufasa, since the most important point is that Mitsuki apologized and put herself out there for their relationship to be fully open now. What we didn't see was Simba pushing at Mufasa's limp body.

But that's a minor point. Your general problem is fair, but it's kind of the nature of this being only 4 pages a week. I think many of us would love this to be longer chapters, whether that be 30 pages or 15 pages, or even 9 pages a week, but that's not what we have. It seems kind of pointless to complain about the basic nature of the comic, and it's an inevitable aspect of this short length per chapter that some of the information will need to be inferred by the reader.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

yes i need gay more gay we need gay
they are so cute

joined Apr 28, 2019

i am having heart palpitations!!!

To reply you must either login or sign up.