Forum › Chasing Spica discussion

Img_1857
joined Apr 4, 2021

I've only watched Citrus' anime adaptation, but it's pretty clear that there are some parallels. Both series have a gyaru and a prim and proper official (StuCo-President in Citrus, Public Morals Committee in Chasing Spica) as their leads, both Gyaru are actually rather motivated and high-performing and mainly use it as self-expression, both prim and proper officials (seem to?) have... issues regarding sexual incidents/activities in their private life, they clash pretty hard and are pretty much a "designated couple".

Ahh... got it.

Edit: Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if "wholesome" is what we get by the end of the story, but you can be sure that it'll be a hot mess of high octane drama before that.

Hm... might see this one through then. Thanks. :)

Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

I like this. The art is really appealing, and the second chapter had some decent explanation of Serina's background and motivations. Just hoping it doesn't turn too wholesome or soft too soon. There's this unfortunate trend lately that the dark-haired girl always turns out to be a big softie, and it needs to be reversed ^_^

Knight Heron seems to do a lot of good stuff.

joined Aug 29, 2019

I like this. The art is really appealing, and the second chapter had some decent explanation of Serina's background and motivations. Just hoping it doesn't turn too wholesome or soft too soon. There's this unfortunate trend lately that the dark-haired girl always turns out to be a big softie, and it needs to be reversed ^_^

Knight Heron seems to do a lot of good stuff.

I also want it to really lean into the drama and be utterly unhealthy for a good while, but I wouldn't worry. Sometimes the dark-haired girl goes hard instead, even today. Admittedly, though, she is set up to soften eventually in this series here.

And Knight Heron has indeed been doing some good stuff (and doing it well) this year.

last edited at Aug 20, 2021 5:48AM

Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

I also want it to really lean into the drama and be utterly unhealthy for a good while, but I wouldn't worry. Sometimes the dark-haired girl goes hard instead, even today. Admittedly, though, she is set up to soften eventually in this series here.

And Knight Heron has indeed been doing some good stuff (and doing it well) this year.

Ah, the famous Detached Relationship. I should probably read up on the controversial stuff like that one and Liberty. Hoping this gets many chapters too.

last edited at Aug 20, 2021 6:22AM

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

dat credit page )))))

Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

I need a new chapter! It's been 1.5 months from previous one ;_;

last edited at Sep 23, 2021 7:32AM

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

Ah, the famous Detached Relationship. I should probably read up on the controversial stuff like that one and Liberty. Hoping this gets many chapters to

Nowhere near as good as Detached Relationship or Liberty. Not even close. The set up smells of CItrus, but it is not even 1/10 good as Citrus.

I see no reason for this series to continue for more than a year. Just can it to avoid further damages and let some young guns to have their fresh materials printed instead!

joined Jun 21, 2021

Wanted to thank the team for finally getting around to chapter 3, not super sold on the overall plot yet, but I really like the design of the main girl so it’s peaked my interest

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

Oh, do she wake up after a night with here bedchamber?
I hope, because that the point of the manga

joined Dec 13, 2018

I hope this is Citrus but with actually good writing and without the dark haired girl becoming a total softie.

Just because youre dissapointed in Citrus doesnt mean you should slander it, its writting is just fine

doubt

joined Sep 1, 2021

Reiko: "I'm the best at sex." Cool, Babe. Absolutely.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I just want to say
Anyone who hasn't read Liberty should avoid that shit like the plague

last edited at Nov 20, 2021 11:10AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I just want to say
Anyone who hasn't read Liberty should avoid that shit like the plague

Aw, come on—trainwrecks can be fascinating spectacles.

Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

Several people here have mentioned how this has got citrus vibes. I never read citrus but what things in common with citrus do you notice (i.e., the vibes the two share in common)? If it’s the sexually manipulative(?) Reiko, then I might sit out on this series. While I enjoy all kinds of yuri stories, my preference lies with wholesome romances, and this is basically as far away from that as possible.

Basically similar setup of Gyaru protagonist and dark-haired strict girl (Student Council President in Citrus) being at odds, and the strict one being really uncomfortably sexually manipulative (Moreso in Citrus than here, at least based on the first chapter) and toxic toward the protagonist. But the narrative bends over backward to make them wind up together despite by all indications making a terrible pair and several better options being available to the protagonist, because they're the ones on the cover.

Though at least in this one's defense, Morals Committe gal hasn't directly done anything on Mei's level, and the Gyaru's blackmail attempt makes her a bit more culpable than Yuzu was, so maybe this will come out feeling less one-sidedly icky. Or it could be even more icky, since both of them are sketchy and not just one. Given how much it feels like a fanfic with the names changed so far, could just wind up being the 50 Shades Of Grey to Citrus's Twilight Saga,

But I shouldn't judge just yet, I still have the second and third chapters to read.

EDIT: Second chapter has made me sympathize even more with the Gyaru. Still not sold on the dark-haired girl, but she hasn't done anything worse either. The class rep is definitely giving me Harumin vibes, so chances are I'm gonna be rooting fruitlessly for her to whisk away the Gyaru

EDIT EDIT: It feels like they're really setting up the Moral Committee gal as a mystery, but I hope they don't drag it out too long, because right now I don't have much reason to care about her whereas for all her faults the Gyaru is pretty well-developed and sympathetic. Though I will say the ending of the chapter got a chuckle out of me, so that's something.

I am kinda wondering, based on the train and parting scene, if she has some sort of crush on the gyaru but hasn't said anything since she's aware of the hostility in return, but that's more of a crack-theory at this point than serious speculation.

last edited at Nov 21, 2021 9:14AM

Konohacoin(1)
joined Jan 23, 2022

Not sure how I feel about the story so far, but I love the art style and Reiko gives off my favorite sort of "girlfucker" vibes.

Screenshot_1644496801
joined May 20, 2018

The content of the first chapter is just like Citrus, even the phone scene and how the MC found out about prez’s dark secret.
And the art? The art is different at first, but then it suddenly changed in page 00032. And now she’s just look like Satsuki from Watanare.
I feel like the author’s not even sure about their own art styles along with the story. I don’t really mind bad stories and not good art, there’re alway first time. But just “look like” another manga like this is...meh. I hope I was just misunderstanding and there’re just a coincident :)

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

What happened? Did it get axe? Mangaka unwell? It will not come out this March either. That is like a 6 months hiatus, 3 chapters in the space of 10 months and counting. I am not really into this one because of the story line, but still I want to know what is going on. Maybe I am new to this, so I have no idea if there were any example of sudden axing without any (including rush) ending in Yurihime.

joined Jun 5, 2018

^this guy above me is a total tsundere. But jokes aside, I think it's up to ch.5, but there is not translation. (Somehow brazilian portuguese has it to ch.4 on mangadex.)

Images%20(5)
joined Apr 25, 2021

The color page in the new issue was incredible.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

its up to chapter 6 now. Tankoubon #1 is out.

joined Jun 21, 2021

Damn the series got updated on mangadex and thought a new chapter was out but it was just the already translated chapter 3 and now I’m big sad

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Chapter 7 is out and we have a love triangle now. lol

last edited at Oct 7, 2022 11:25AM

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

oh shit it's been a year, really glad to see this back because there's just no way to get a comprehensive opinion on a series if you've only read the first three chapters, looking forward to more so I can figure out if I actually like this or not haha.

joined Oct 2, 2021

It's baaack!

joined Jul 3, 2022

Yay!!! Thank you so much for the update!! Really appreciate it, for the amount of work you put into these chapters!! Thank you so much again!! Looking forward to the next chapter!

To reply you must either login or sign up.