Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

UppersDowners
joined Jan 20, 2021

DRAMA ALERT

last edited at Jul 8, 2022 1:44PM

Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Yeahh I can see why people might dislike Manaria as a character, but she's hot, so who can say if she's bad or not

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Can someone please explain why they find this specific prince-type tomboy hot? It's fine, I just don't get it. The design, confidence, and glee? Sure. Rawr. But this take on the unflappable prince trope is so beyond not my thing that I'm curious why it works for you in this case.

Claire is still in love with Manaria despite learning that right?

Oh for sure, Claire loves Manaria even knowing she's not a boy. We know Claire is bi, she must almost never notice and she's motivated to ignore it. The current Claire is a bit more mature, though she still adores Manaria the same way.

Now that my memories of this arc are returning that's about as much as I can safely write~ There's a lot tucked away in this chapter, and probably even more plot points in the next.

I glanced at the novels and learned that somehow Rei and Claire get married and somehow get kids? Don't know how the story is going to properly deal with that and keep everything alive.

About the daughters on the Volume 3 cover: The girls are adopted, and had no family records.
How far we are from it: We're halfway to meeting the twins, and they show up before the mid-point of the series. Thus the majority of I Favor the Villainess is centered on two badass moms.
Why the story works after that point, what general type of story it is: When Rei and Claire get together they have great chemistry as a power couple, even more so after being together for a few years. They are parents with important duties and their own independent goals. The story is rarely about the daughters. There are always characters providing angst. Unless you're eagle-eyed about foreshadowing you haven't seen a hint of how far this story can shift its tone!

In short, the story stays alive.

last edited at Jul 9, 2022 6:53AM

Yeah
joined Apr 14, 2021

excited for how the story goes now, havent read the light novel of it so im pretty excited about it.

AutumnWaterXIII
joined May 29, 2022

Manaria is pretty hated among English LN readers while Japanese readers tend to like her lol. We'll see how it goes with the manga readers tho.

joined May 9, 2021

I think that she's fine, a little mary sue-like but looks like she's mostly pushing Rei to be more aggressive.

joined Oct 14, 2020

At first I hate Manaria, lol but now that I have read the novel I kinda like her hihi

joined Sep 6, 2022

Anyone know if the scanlation is still continuing or have been dropped? 2 chapters have been released thus far since the last one

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

It's love, but losing her temper like that it's out of character, considering her "opponent" is royalty, right? devoted to the people, no matter what she says, she won't take Claire unless she's willing to giving up all her responsibilities. And then she got beat up easily, knowing she was going to lose in the first place, it really hurts to watch, shameful display... dishonor.

last edited at Sep 13, 2022 3:25PM

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

I really hope they include some parts of the She’s so Cheeky for a Commoner.

Same. It expands parts and adds non-trivial sideplots so well I'm surprised it's not in the manga. Maybe an anime would fare better. Claire's POV during this arc was great, and Manaria got a lot more depth.

Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

It's weird seeing Rei this flustered and worked up when she has never been unfazed before. She took a beating this time, but it's probably worth it if she saw Claire's face on the last page.

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

2 things about this chapter:
1. I always find it stupid how characters say you clearly don't love someone enough even though you are respecting their boundaries and space and not constantly harassing them especially after they have told you they aren't into you yet. I think Rei has been doing a good job with her approach to Claire
2. Yeah I don't like this new character but not because of her personality but morely because she feels like a plot device to me. Her place in the story feels unnatural to me as she just showed up and beat the main character in 2 chapters. Would have preferred to see her for more time earlier or even hear about her before by multiple characters to hype her up. She seems really overpowered as well. She can teleport, stop magic and seems to be able to force people to cough up blood and faint. Who needs the protagonist Rei? She's meant to be a saint right? What's that good for, this new character can beat any villain with her strength. I know she is probably like this because I say author isn't really interested in doing fights as this isn't a battle manga, but the one the chimera in the last arc was pretty cool and creative. Would have preferred if their fight lasted way longer, like if it was an entire chapter so the battle was bit more strategic and Rei actually showed off her magic better as early on she was hiding it but now I don't feel she is that good anymore and had no reason to hide it as it ain't that special. Hopefully this character isn't just here for the arc and actually does something interesting. I feel she is trying to setup Claire and Rei as I don't feel like she is meant to be villain with the looks she keeps giving Rei so I hope that isn't just what her character's purpose in the story is.

For the translator, thank you for doing this and take your time. Life is more important than translating manga lol. Also, I am glad you translated this and didn't skip this as I felt the other person's translations were close but in parts a bit off and I found yours a lot clearer (also helps not be missing a page lol).

last edited at Sep 13, 2022 3:47PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018
Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

It's love, but losing her temper like that it's out of character, considering her "opponent" is royalty, right? devoted to the people, no matter what she says, she won't take Claire unless she's willing to giving up all her responsibilities. And then she got beat up easily, knowing she was going to lose in the first place, it really hurts to watch, shameful display... dishonor.

Shameful? Dishonour? What do those things have to do with whether you can win a fight?
Shame and dishonour would belong to the high status bully with unstoppable magic who picks a fight with a commoner she can be sure has no chance of defeating her.

(Of course that girl is a walking plot device so she's probably just been playing the bully all this time in order to make Lady Claire realize her feelings when she sees the girl all beat up. But if her whole behaviour wasn't just an implausible ruse, she would be a dishonourable thug)

last edited at Sep 13, 2022 5:23PM

Yaa%20898
joined Apr 24, 2022

its been 10 months since I read the novel. I still dislike her

joined Sep 13, 2022

I’m really curious what Claire’s keysmashing was translated from

Ezisrudvkaylvds
joined Jan 19, 2021

Only uploading after some other group releases this chapter…
Really makes you think now doesn’t it?

I had 37 pages of 41 ready when they released theirs, no need to throw out work just because someone else has also done it, especially when the other one is straight up missing an entire page

fsadddfsa Uploader
Collectible_dark_prince's_crown_icon
goon squad
joined Apr 11, 2021

After looking back on these scenes, I find it really fucking stupid how Rei knows full well that Maria has a point and click, one hit KO she can use on Rei and yet still accepts her challenge. Not to mention, after acknowledging her opponent can teleport, she still chooses to put her opponent in a box of ice that she can easily teleport out of.

joined Sep 13, 2022

My read of it is that she’s more putting up the challenge as a show of her love for Claire, even knowing she could never win. I haven’t read the novel, so idk what happens but I’m hoping Maria is testing Rei to determine if she would be a worthy partner for Claire or something. So the duel would be more about putting up a fight and at least forcing her to use her OP spell than actually being able to win. Or maybe it’s not that deep and she just got caught up in the heat of the moment, idk

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

its been 10 months since I read the novel. I still dislike her

same but she has her uses haha

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

... no one did that yet? then...

• * teleports behind you *
  • nothing personnel, kid

last edited at Sep 13, 2022 7:45PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

After looking back on these scenes, I find it really fucking stupid how Rei knows full well that Maria has a point and click, one hit KO she can use on Rei and yet still accepts her challenge. Not to mention, after acknowledging her opponent can teleport, she still chooses to put her opponent in a box of ice that she can easily teleport out of.

If 'teleport' is high level wind magic, not obvious to me if it's "skip space" or "move really fast". If the latter, boxes would still work, if you put it up in time.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

I'm not sure I see how her actions could be considered dishonorable. If anything I would say her actions were leaning more in the brave and honorable but somewhat foolish direction. In order to fight for her love, she stood up to the challenge issued by her monstrously powerful rival knowing full well that her opponent outclassed her entirely. It's been years since I read the light novel, but one thing I do remember is just how insanely OP the genius princess is and how aware and worried Rei was about having to face her in this duel. There is no shame in facing and losing to one of the most powerful and talented mages of this generation. The Princess is a truly world-class talent.

As to why Rei lost her cool, this is the first time she has had to deal with an actual rival. Although insults and bullying may wash off her like water off a duck's back, jealousy is an entirely different beast.

last edited at Sep 13, 2022 8:42PM

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

i´m not really a big fan of "plot device" characters but tbf this series in particular really needed one. With rei s previous mentality of "i just wanna see lady claire happy" it was near impossible for her to take actual action, and even if lady claire were to actually fall in love with her it´d also require some external help for her acknowlege it and some major divine intervention to act upon it.
I don´t really like manaria as a character but i can understand her inclusion and even if it´s a little force i can appreciate the fact she´s moving the story foward

PD yeah that one hit KO magic is really dumb, i understand that she´s just too powerfull for rei, but bringing a gun to knife fight is just boring and makes the encounter less interesting

last edited at Sep 13, 2022 9:45PM

joined Sep 13, 2022

Would you mind telling me where chapter in the novel this is? Thanks in advance.

To reply you must either login or sign up.