Forum › Warning! Beware of the Dog discussion

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I do like that they opened up on this flagrant berserker moment to have Obsidian foil it, though, because it establishes right off the bat that whoever Obsidian used to be, her post-amnesia self is undeniably a good person. Even if it takes a while for Xiao Yu to accept that, this incident isn't something she can just ignore, even if she'll absolutely try to at first.

I think I missed the bit about amnesia? I thought the implication was that either the event didn't happen the way Xiao Yu remembers it or something drastically different was going on and she missed it.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I do like that they opened up on this flagrant berserker moment to have Obsidian foil it, though, because it establishes right off the bat that whoever Obsidian used to be, her post-amnesia self is undeniably a good person. Even if it takes a while for Xiao Yu to accept that, this incident isn't something she can just ignore, even if she'll absolutely try to at first.

I think I missed the bit about amnesia? I thought the implication was that either the event didn't happen the way Xiao Yu remembers it or something drastically different was going on and she missed it.

Yeah from what I gathered we don't know a lot of details, so far the demon just seems confused by the violence. So I guess we'll see how it unfolds.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Yeah from what I gathered we don't know a lot of details, so far the demon just seems confused by the violence. So I guess we'll see how it unfolds.

In the plot summary page it mentions amnesia, which I assume will be revealed within the next chapter or two.

joined Jul 6, 2020

i can't believe I missed chapter one of this, I love the art and the plot it suuuuuper interesting. Can't wait for miss anger management to stop being so racist? speciesist? whatever

joined May 3, 2014

i can't believe I missed chapter one of this, I love the art and the plot it suuuuuper interesting. Can't wait for miss anger management to stop being so racist? speciesist? whatever

what in bloody hell are you on? when an speciest is seeing your humans as nothing but food and has the ability to harm you and already did, she is nothing but rightfully angry about it! will do the same if they did that to me, I will see them too as just monsters that hurt you

joined Jul 6, 2020

what in bloody hell are you on? when an speciest is seeing your humans as nothing but food and has the ability to harm you and already did, she is nothing but rightfully angry about it! will do the same if they did that to me, I will see them too as just monsters that hurt you

Congrats! you are (fantasy) racist! Obviously succubi don't universally harm humans, or else there would never have been a peace treaty and stuff in the first place

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

In the plot summary page it mentions amnesia, which I assume will be revealed within the next chapter or two.

Ah thanks!

So,%20lesbians%20square
joined May 5, 2022

in the year of our lord 2022, i just said "and they were roommates" out loud

Anime%20girl%20bong%20small
joined Jan 1, 2022

The lady who was talking about hidden truth clearly knows something.

Why does she assume our protagonist isn't going to murder the woman in her sleep? Maybe the protagonist has a reason to want to understand more about what happened at that time, it would have to be a lot to keep her from just murdering the succubus, given that it's seemingly her whole life's mission.

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

So, this demon girl killed her dad and everyone in the story, including the dorm manager who is aware of the situation, seems to be treating this like MC is mad about her drinking the last of the milk

Her dad must not have been very popular

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Didn't Obsidian tank the blast from the holy grenade launcher with her own body so it wouldn't hit Xiao Yu's roommates? That takes principles and managing to do so after already having dodged the blast takes insane reflexes and speed. Not only does post-amnesia Obsidian appear to be an upstanding person, she is also way out of Xiao Yu's league, combat-wise.

So, this demon girl killed her dad and everyone in the story, including the dorm manager who is aware of the situation, seems to be treating this like MC is mad about her drinking the last of the milk

Her dad must not have been very popular

Yeah, that irked me a lot, too. "Oh look, a literal demon has showed up on campus who looks and behaves just like a known mass murderer, let's have her live together with an emotionally unstable, inexperienced demon hunter who was personally traumatized by the demon's murder spree and who has just almost also become a mass murderer." I get that it's action manga logic and I shouldn't be thinking too deeply about it, but it still rubs me the wrong way.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Yeah, that irked me a lot, too.

Really wanted her to go "well fuck you too then", and ditching her, uh, exorcist mentor, go rogue so to speak. Just bad storytelling. You can engineer a situation where she's surprised by the appearance of that specific demon but don't make it "nobody bothered to tell you and we're making everything your fault".

joined Dec 13, 2020

This is the same logic they used with the Puma sisters in Dominion TP.

I figure there aren't many among our rather youngish forumites who remember that old Shirow series. The Puma sisters were major baddies and antagonists in the first volumes. Then suddenly and without transition they become part of the TP and are assigned to work with Leona Ozaki, the main character, who is batshit furious but has no choice. The explanation is: the Puma sisters are androids and aren't legally responsible for their bad actions, therefore after capturing them the TP decided to put their crazy skills to good use and turn them into TP agents. Leona would rather throw them into a compactor... but it's not her decision to make.

The same plot applies here, if I understand it right. The former baddie got amnesia, forgot her evil self and turned into a new persona. Since this new persona hasn't done any evil deeds, why, the law has nothing against her! And so she can now become one of the hero team. Obvious and peachy, ain't that so? Shame on Xiao Yu who doesn't seem to agree!

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

Yeah, that irked me a lot, too.

Really wanted her to go "well fuck you too then", and ditching her, uh, exorcist mentor, go rogue so to speak. Just bad storytelling. You can engineer a situation where she's surprised by the appearance of that specific demon but don't make it "nobody bothered to tell you and we're making everything your fault".

The only logical reason I can think of is that
1. The powers that be want her to kill Obsidian without them telling her to do it so they can just make her the fall girl and get around the treaty
2. The meeting is mostly sad coincidence and Dorm manager's bosses have decided this treaty needs to work and are having her gaslight MC into going along with it

last edited at Sep 4, 2022 8:43PM

Chad%20narukami
joined Feb 28, 2022

So who do ya think is the "dog" in the title? The hottie who arrives at the end?

It could also be metaphorical and referring to the exorcist. E.g. A dog of the Church.

Incredibly intelligent

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Aw, I was expecting werewolves.

joined Jul 21, 2020

I figure there aren't many among our rather youngish forumites who remember that old Shirow series. The Puma sisters were major baddies and antagonists in the first volumes. Then suddenly and without transition they become part of the TP and are assigned to work with Leona Ozaki, the main character, who is batshit furious but has no choice. The explanation is: the Puma sisters are androids and aren't legally responsible for their bad actions, therefore after capturing them the TP decided to put their crazy skills to good use and turn them into TP agents. Leona would rather throw them into a compactor...

They'd have deserved it! Look at them tricking some poor innocent men! Evil! :P

joined Apr 16, 2022

After reading about Dominion Tank Police, it seems like a super good comparison because the protagonist of that series is also a trigger-happy cop who doesn't care about collateral damage lmao.

Girls%20last%20tour%20ost%20art
joined Dec 4, 2017

Well this seems fun as hell

joined May 24, 2019

Congrats! you are (fantasy) racist! Obviously succubi don't universally harm humans, or else there would never have been a peace treaty and stuff in the first place

These days nobody writes stories where "evil" is in people's genes and a whole species (or race or nation) is the spawn of Satan. The idea that a natural diabolic taint is from birth in somebody's blood has become distasteful. It's because it makes one recall the attitude that, for centuries, many members of the white race had towards darker-colored peoples.

last edited at Sep 8, 2022 1:58PM

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

That joke of the succubus trying to sneak up on her at night but she's staying up reading her phone was gold.

joined Jul 7, 2022

I'm a bit curious. Is there any particular reason as to why only chapters 1-3 are on here when chapters 4-6 have been translated?

joined Apr 16, 2022

Nice, the manhua's back on this website. It's been pretty great so far; the art is excellent, the characters are enjoyable, the jokes are mostly funny, and I continue to appreciate the courage in making your protagonist this unlikeable to start out with.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

I love that Obsidian eventually goes "wait a second I can get my sexual desires from women too, time to start marketing myself to lesbians" and it just works

last edited at Feb 5, 2023 7:10PM

joined Dec 17, 2021

I'm actually enjoying all the bullying Obsidian is getting from the MC. And it's weird because I'm not a fan of the concept of punishing someone with amnesia for something they can't remember doing. Idk, maybe the comedic setting makes it work for me.

To reply you must either login or sign up.