Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

joined Mar 21, 2017

If you are one of those three, you never "take off" your clothes or makeup.

There's no real indication that she is part of any of those subcultures though. She could just be wearing what makes her happy and/or matches the aesthetic of her workplace without being part of a given subculture after all. Someone wearing dark clothes and nail polish and having piercings isn't automatically a goth after all. Just like wearing jeans with holes and baggy flannel shirts doesn't automatically make you grunge.

She wears clothing that matches the aesthetic of the music she listens to, isn't that part of the defining traits of a subculture? Subcultures aren't clubs, they're ultimately just categorizations of people with similar interests.. I do agree though that she isn't a goth or uhh "grunge" (i hate that word).

last edited at Aug 8, 2022 6:57PM

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

so, are we still playing the guessing game? cause we got Guns & Roses now.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I hope we are. I need to update my music ref compilation so we can keep track of the bands mentioned.
I am still waiting for The Beatles or Queen to be mentioned.

joined Jul 21, 2020

Message 1: "How come this manga has so many pages of comments?"
Message 2: "Gotta be because the mcs love rock bands like ### and &&& and $$$."
Messages 3 to 250: (People discuss the merits of ### and &&& and $$$ and a dozen other bands.)

Lol so which one is the band that you chose to represent with the $$$ symbol?
Nirvana?
Aerosmith?
Nah, gotta be Guns N' Roses. :P

You're so mean. T_T

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Haha!
But everyone already knows that The Clash is the only band that matters

smellsliketeenspirit
Screen%20shot%202022-07-04%20at%206.37.52%20pm
joined May 29, 2022

Haha!

You in danger, girl. Be careful making critical opinions about music around these parts!

Honoka-x-maki
joined Aug 23, 2018

I clicked on the comments to see discussion about the cute story. I got 3 pages of (wanabe) thesis instead.

Seriously lol, sometimes I don't know why I even bother clicking on the discussion page button.

For science. It's a known phenomenon that any thread on Dynasty can and will at some point evolve into scientific discussion. Even the image comments. ;)

Seriously! A while back, there was a poster who was using feminist theory to augment their extensive argument on gender presentation in this manga, and I was thoroughly impressed. Not what I was expecting at all.

See, stuff like that can be interesting, but on the other hand, seeing people nitpick irrelevant details or just straight up make things up because they interpreted something so bizarrely wrong just seems to drain the joy I feel when reading yuri manga. I was just commenting on another forum where some people were complaining about certain things in She-Ra that they thought were "problematic" because they didn't like it and can't seem to accept nuance or character development and only see things in black and white and I'm just like "UGGHHHHHHHHHHH" because seeing people dissect the little representation we get for supposed wrongs has got me f*cked up.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

You in danger, girl. Be careful making critical opinions about music around these parts!

You are only allowed to have an opinion on what comments are acceptable, that's what all the cool kids do. Having preferences towards music is totally cringe and uncool.

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

There's no real indication that she is part of any of those subcultures though. She could just be wearing what makes her happy and/or matches the aesthetic of her workplace without being part of a given subculture after all. Someone wearing dark clothes and nail polish and having piercings isn't automatically a goth after all. Just like wearing jeans with holes and baggy flannel shirts doesn't automatically make you grunge.

She wears clothing that matches the aesthetic of the music she listens to, isn't that part of the defining traits of a subculture? Subcultures aren't clubs, they're ultimately just categorizations of people with similar interests.. I do agree though that she isn't a goth or uhh "grunge" (i hate that word).

That's why we don't apply American subcultures on settings outside America and expect accurateness.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Haha!

Good lord, in the first instance that’s not a individual person’s “critical opinion”—that’s the world-famous tagline for The Clash created by their record company’s marketing department.

You know, like calling Elvis Presley “The King of Rock & Roll” doesn’t mean he made the laws for Rock & Roll.

Takasaki Reika
Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

man....she's so cool....

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

You know, like calling Elvis Presley “The King of Rock & Roll” doesn’t mean he made the laws for Rock & Roll.

Of course he didn't, he had his ministers for that.

joined Feb 1, 2021

Of course he didn't, he had his ministers for that.

Not to mention Parliament!

joined Mar 21, 2017

That's why we don't apply American subcultures on settings outside America and expect accurateness.

I'm not American nor live there, these subcultures are all over the world and we all have slightly different interpretations of them but they all have unifyng traits that are not country specific.

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

I hope we are. I need to update my music ref compilation so we can keep track of the bands mentioned.
I am still waiting for The Beatles or Queen to be mentioned.

please do. I rather see this then the other "argument" I'm seeing.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Depends if your definition of "subculture" is the same as the OP's in this opinion.
Seems they think that being part of a subculture involves following specific "rules" - those being you can't ever project an image of something else. Forgetting, of course, that some people just want to suppress their individuality at school and be "themselves" at home, and that's okay, actually.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Depends if your definition of "subculture" is the same as the OP's in this opinion.
Seems they think that being part of a subculture involves following specific "rules" - those being you can't ever project an image of something else. Forgetting, of course, that some people just want to suppress their individuality at school and be "themselves" at home, and that's okay, actually.

Yeah no, i just don't agree with either opinion really.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

When one puts on a pair of ripped jeans and

Converse Chuck Taylors with a flannel

Shirt, the wearer is changed,

Changed utterly.

A terrible beauty is born.

Tumblr_338965de880627681ecd916bc458a939_84d98ad7_500%20(1)-min
joined Feb 4, 2022

I predict that Uncle is gonna come back to the stall to tell his niece to go have fun~ or that Jerkface is gonna make an appearance to encourage her

this summer festival has me excited ^-^

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Gun n Roses is the prize?!? I don't think the agony box could be worse.

joined May 30, 2022

Please remove the tag "kabedon". First, it is just for threaten. Second, if it is kabedon, that means hetshit.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Please remove the tag "kabedon". First, it is just for threaten. Second, if it is kabedon, that means hetshit.

That's still qualify as Kabedon sorry

direngreylesbian
Rei%20pfp
joined Aug 13, 2022

I can't wait for more!!

joined Mar 21, 2017

That's still qualify as Kabedon sorry

Yeah it's still a Kabedon in action, just not in a "romantic" context.

joined Jan 14, 2020

I just read the whole thing, thanks to "My Female Friend". Pretty funny manga!

To reply you must either login or sign up.