Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

goddamn that was smooth as hell

mc is a smooth criminal and she doesn’t even notice

joined May 29, 2021

Um…doesn’t this chapter more or less imply she knows now? Or did I misunderstand? I thought I’d see more people freaking out.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Useless...

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

She is so charming

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

That's a poor way to run a business lmao

E. Vigée Le Brun
joined Jun 8, 2021

54 pages in the forum...

I know this is just me being negative but I'm kinda scared of how good and popular the reaction was with this manga, with just a few chapters with few pages and we're almost 10 pages in the forum.

It was bad when it was 10 pages, now we're at 54.
ngl I feel you, it's kind of irksome that so many amazing series only get a limited number of reactions while this with a few 4-page chapters of silliness boils such fervor. In ex. Lilies, Voice, Wear Wind at four whole volumes doesn't have even half the number.

_warningm_edited
joined Jan 15, 2021

I liked this chapter for the story, BUT I gotta throw the B/S flag for suggesting that listening to G&R repeatedly will make you happy. If I had to listen to Sweet Child of Mine as much as when it originally came out, I think I might be compelled to commit violence. It's not a bad song, but got WAY overplayed.

The return of Fuzzy puff
Screen%20shot%202021-08-07%20at%2010.26.05%20pm
joined Oct 7, 2020

I liked this chapter for the story, BUT I gotta throw the B/S flag for suggesting that listening to G&R repeatedly will make you happy. If I had to listen to Sweet Child of Mine as much as when it originally came out, I think I might be compelled to commit violence. It's not a bad song, but got WAY overplayed.

On the radio it still does.. I worked a place where they played the big rock station all the time and if you heard sweet child, teen spirit, enter sandman and bullet with butterfly wings you knew it was most definitely Tuesday..

joined May 29, 2021

It’s probably a cultural thing. Guns and Roses gets played all the time here, but I bet it’s way more rare in Japan.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Yuki Yukuzu posted:

the manga has left me craving for more things like this
does anyone have anything that is similar to this

What draws you to it, specifically? The music? The art? The gender misunderstanding?

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

ngl I feel you, it's kind of irksome that so many amazing series only get a limited number of reactions while this with a few 4-page chapters of silliness boils such fervor. In ex. Lilies, Voice, Wear Wind at four whole volumes doesn't have even half the number.

I very much disliked the ending to Lilies :|

Tumblr_6092d594b3a92296a4d35bac1b1a474c_c2d1131f_400
joined Apr 4, 2022

Yuki Yukuzu posted:

the manga has left me craving for more things like this
does anyone have anything that is similar to this

What draws you to it, specifically? The music? The art? The gender misunderstanding?

The art, the general vibe of the manga and how the characters interact

joined Jan 11, 2014

Um…doesn’t this chapter more or less imply she knows now? Or did I misunderstand? I thought I’d see more people freaking out.

On the third page when we see MC’s face, we’re actually x-raying through the mask. So basically it was less Aya realizing the weird girl at the school and her onii-san are the same person, and more of her realizing the weirdo with the mask is onii-san

Tumblr_nbee0zysh31tbx9b9o1_1280
joined Dec 5, 2014

so does this mean that mc (I'm bad with names, sorry) makes a more "manly" voice for her? cause she just said that she can recognize the voice of "onii-san" but they had talked to each other at school and definitely does not put the dots together or is she just that useless of a lesbian?

My%20god
joined Dec 27, 2014

Honestly girl at this point you've accumulated so many smooth points that you don't even need to worry if she's into women. She's just into you by now. Sexuality's irrelevant. You won.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

so does this mean that mc (I'm bad with names, sorry) makes a more "manly" voice for her? cause she just said that she can recognize the voice of "onii-san" but they had talked to each other at school and definitely does not put the dots together or is she just that useless of a lesbian?

i am guessing her voice gets deeper when she's at work because she needs to sound calm and level-headed, a.k.a more mature (??)
if you have a naturally deep voice and try to sound more adult-like, it can sound different from your usual tone.

i am guessing

also:

MC - Mitsuki Koga
Gyaru - Aya Oosawa

Honestly girl at this point you've accumulated so many smooth points that you don't even need to worry if she's into women. She's just into you by now. Sexuality's irrelevant. You won.

good ending: we get a reveal and aya says "fine by me" without even flinching

last edited at Aug 7, 2022 4:13PM

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

So Mitsuki is just intentionally flirting with Aya now, huh? Just completely leaning into fostering Aya’s crush on her. No “I just don’t want to upset her or anything” excuses anymore. Just going for it. That’s interesting…

last edited at Aug 7, 2022 4:18PM

Export202201160511213540
joined Jan 10, 2022

I mean, I like all these songs, but it's just surreal to read a story where they're acting like this music unique, edgy, and mature, when here it's the most overplayed shit I've been hearing in stores, in movies, and on the radio my whole life.

Japan has never felt so foreign.

when i was in school, i was also one of very few girls in our city who liked rock, metal, punk, etc. the other girls mainly listened britney spears and other pop stuff. they might have heard one or another rock song, but not many girls dared to say out loud that they really liked this kind of music. even "p!nk" was too much rock for most girls...
today a little bit more girls listen to rock, but if you watch concert videos of rock concerts, the audience is still mostly male.

joined Feb 5, 2020

^Thats after they get married

Yes I want them to get married and hold hands for their honeymoon, I thought that was implied

61f8f9de6afa98bcb0f186a1_736_640_20945%20(1)
joined Mar 25, 2021

54 pages in the forum...

I know this is just me being negative but I'm kinda scared of how good and popular the reaction was with this manga, with just a few chapters with few pages and we're almost 10 pages in the forum.

Art, I guess? I've tried reading Lilies, Voice, Wear Wind but a few pages in and the art always makes me close the tab. I'll give it a try again since from the sound of it, it should be better than this manga?

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

The more I read it. the more stupid I feel. The artists keep us hostage.

Also, won't that be too much work if you paint your nails in black, and then clean it in school, and then do it again? When I paint, I leave it on, and if it starts to wear out. I re-pain again. This is a goth and riverhead (industrial) subculture traditions, It continued with the emo subculture. If you are one of those three, you never "take off" your clothes or makeup. If you really have to, you usually keep something that send out signals to others that you are one of them. For example, blue hair or blue stripped hair. or very dark lipstick. if you do not wear a black lip stick, wear something that is very close to that color, for example, dark purple. Same as finger nails, dark purple instead of black.
Black outfit is normal. But I wear all white sometimes. All white send a signal to others. Some even wear a wedding gown (no head dress part, just the gown itself), as an all white. You can of course, wear an all black gown.

last edited at Aug 7, 2022 4:28PM

89922099_p0_3_32
joined Nov 15, 2017

Mitsukisexual

last edited at Aug 7, 2022 4:28PM

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

This is just a universal excuse in denial, as in "Who drag you into homosexuality?!!!!" it must be THOSE people..." "That's it, from now on you will come with me to church every Sunday!"

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

54 pages in the forum...

It's partly about expectations. A really serious, slow burning series won't garner immediate reactions the way this one will, but it might have a long tail of people getting into it and becoming passionate about it.

In this manga's favor, the art is really, really good. The characters are really well defined for how many pages and chapters this has gone on. Mitsuki and Aya feel like they exist in this world beyond say the tropes of extrovert/introvert or gyaru/plain, and the art helps with making their expressiveness be part of their characterization. Plus, although we've been in a bit of a holding pattern as far as their relationship, things like chapter 5 and the way Aya asks for her number really has that Reiwa energy, and everyone gets hyped about "progress".

Also, and I do think this contributes more than might be expected, they're not particularly moe. "Cute" type girls are overrepresented in manga, and while gyaru are having a resurgence at the moment, alt-style girls are pretty rare. I can think of one other manga that has an alt-style girl lead. Variety in character can feel really refreshing after reading the same type of thing over and over again. "Cool" girls are pretty common, especially in yuri, but most of the cool girls are identifiable by short hair and being good at sports, and most of them still look generic. Mitsuki's style is pretty rare in manga.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

54 pages in the forum...

It's partly about expectations. A really serious, slow burning series won't garner immediate reactions the way this one will, but it might have a long tail of people getting into it and becoming passionate about it.

In this manga's favor, the art is really, really good. The characters are really well defined for how many pages and chapters this has gone on. Mitsuki and Aya feel like they exist in this world beyond say the tropes of extrovert/introvert or gyaru/plain, and the art helps with making their expressiveness be part of their characterization. Plus, although we've been in a bit of a holding pattern as far as their relationship, things like chapter 5 and the way Aya asks for her number really has that Reiwa energy, and everyone gets hyped about "progress".

Also, and I do think this contributes more than might be expected, they're not particularly moe. "Cute" type girls are overrepresented in manga, and while gyaru are having a resurgence at the moment, alt-style girls are pretty rare. I can think of one other manga that has an alt-style girl lead. Variety in character can feel really refreshing after reading the same type of thing over and over again. "Cool" girls are pretty common, especially in yuri, but most of the cool girls are identifiable by short hair and being good at sports, and most of them still look generic. Mitsuki's style is pretty rare in manga.

Personally I think it's mostly that this series is incredibly short and easy to consume, it's very simple and straight forward. People tend to enjoy very quick to consume content, it's why Vine was popular and TikTok is now so popular. Along with media clips getting a ton of attention and so fourth. People like short and easy to consume content, and then to go about their day. I also think it's that this series is more on the Western side than a lot of manga, and it heavily leans into Western music, so there's an easy amount of relatability for a Western audience.

To reply you must either login or sign up.