Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I am once again asking for [relationship progression]

baby we ask for it every week. we get glimpses of it… if only the chapters were longer than 4 pages…

De00e7f3-5d55-4e3c-951c-ebac52dc90c4_1_102_o
joined Jul 14, 2021

a part of me is okay with just getting a cute story every sunday but another part just wants that [relationship progression] already

joined Mar 8, 2016

I'm sorry, but these highschool girls being real into Aerosmith brings me out of it lol.

LOL right? Me too! And I have no idea why that's where the line is. XD

Not sure why. A LOT of kids who don't really jibe with contemporary music find an identity with older artists/scenes. Sometimes they were introduced to that music through their parents, or they just feel a kinship with it (or they want that "I do my own thing" feeling of liking something other than what's popular among their classmates.)

Aerosmith may have started in the 70's, but I guarantee you still find teenagers wearing stuff for the Rolling Stones and the Doors and Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath and Misfits and Bowie and whatever else from that era or earlier too. Part of me thinks its kind of a nostalgia for the time when musicians were kind of mysterious and larger than life. I think there's still a lot of cultural cache and integration for artists, even alternative or niche ones, that came up during the pre-internet years when everyone could pretty much count on everyone else having the same media touchstones.

last edited at Jul 25, 2022 1:31AM

joined Feb 1, 2021

I'm sorry, but these highschool girls being real into Aerosmith brings me out of it lol.

LOL right? Me too! And I have no idea why that's where the line is. XD

Not sure why. A LOT of kids who don't really jibe with contemporary music find an identity with older artists/scenes. Sometimes they were introduced to that music through their parents, or they just feel a kinship with it (or they want that "I do my own thing" feeling of liking something other than what's popular among their classmates.)

Aerosmith may have started in the 70's, but I guarantee you still find teenagers wearing stuff for the Rolling Stones and the Doors and Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath and Misfits and Bowie and whatever else from that era or earlier too. Part of me thinks its kind of a nostalgia for the time when musicians were kind of mysterious and larger than life. I think there's still a lot of cultural cache and integration for artists, even alternative or niche ones, that came up during the pre-internet years when everyone could pretty much count on everyone else having the same media touchstones.

No, I totally get this. It's just... why Aerosmith, haha

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

I think Aya might end up recognizing her because of the mole. Maybe the artist drew it just to add character to her but I think maybe it was deliberate to have something that Aya can recognize.

Takasaki Reika
Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

stop torturing me! just confess already!

also,i just noticed the jerk face watching them
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_guy_she_was_interested_in_wasnt_a_guy_at_all_ch14#3

last edited at Jul 25, 2022 8:42AM

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Sigh... Sucks this series is gay bait according to interview with author.

Dynasty%20profile%20v13
joined Apr 27, 2018

Where is the interview? Is it posted somewhere online?

Pfp6
joined Jun 8, 2022

I'm pretty sure they only said that they don't really like to classify their works as "yuri", but rather prefer something more grounded and realistic to better represent queer people irl (I think? I don't remember much or it could've been an entirely different author).

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Where is the interview? Is it posted somewhere online?

https://getnews.jp/archives/3299988

Hope yuririum above is right though.

last edited at Jul 25, 2022 2:21PM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure they only said that they don't really like to classify their works as "yuri", but rather prefer something more grounded and realistic to better represent queer people irl (I think? I don't remember much or it could've been an entirely different author).

As I've said previously I still feel like this a whole mess of semantics, and personal definitions at the end of the day. When this so far follows a very similar narrative as many high-school Yuri manga we've read, and as I've also mentioned before I somewhat recently saw a female creator who self identifies as a creator of Yuri media, say that she her works are created for lesbians. There's also the creator of Bloom Into You, a Yuri high-school romance, that recently stated support for gay marriage in Japan. I think regardless of if a creator wants to use a different term, or is okay with Yuri and claiming it as a lesbian term, they're all equally valid. People shouldn't argue over the terminology, and should spread love instead.

I think this series will, well at least hopefully, progress into a romance direction.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Just two gal pals bonding over music.

Download
joined May 11, 2022

Gotta say, them liking Aerosmith really took me outa it with this chapter lol. Nirvana, Pink Floyd, and foo fighters I could get behind and believe that alt teenage girls would like but with Aerosmith it now kinda feels like the author is just throwing in all these old bands in with no rhyme or reason. Like just because they are both technically rock bands there really isn't much overlap with a Nirvana fan and an Aerosmith fan. I kind of find it hard to believe that these gen Z kids wouldn't find them cringy. Also they have yet to show any interest in any female led pre-2000s rock bands like Hole or Bikini Kill, Bratmobile or like any of the bands that were associated with the Riot Grrrl revolution. Makes me think this author is a dude bc their music taste is bordering on dad-rock lol.

This is not to say that as a girl you CAN'T like these bands. Just speaking from experience as a girl who has been a life-long fan of rock music (both older and modern) that their music taste of theirs is beginning to feel a bit out of pocket

In one of the promotional art pieces the author did mention charli bliss which is a modern and female fronted band so maybe I'm just talking out my ass. Point is Aerosmith sucks and I find it weird that these otherwise hip teenage girls would like them.

Still loving this manga though

smellsliketeenspirit
Screen%20shot%202022-07-04%20at%206.37.52%20pm
joined May 29, 2022

Gotta say, them liking Aerosmith really took me outa it with this chapter lol. Nirvana, Pink Floyd, and foo fighters I could get behind and believe that alt teenage girls would like but with Aerosmith it now kinda feels like the author is just throwing in all these old bands in with no rhyme or reason. Like just because they are both technically rock bands there really isn't much overlap with a Nirvana fan and an Aerosmith fan. I kind of find it hard to believe that these gen Z kids wouldn't find them cringy. Also they have yet to show any interest in any female led pre-2000s rock bands like Hole or Bikini Kill, Bratmobile or like any of the bands that were associated with the Riot Grrrl revolution. Makes me think this author is a dude bc their music taste is bordering on dad-rock lol.

I feel you here. With the strong Nirvana references that started at the beginning of the story, I was expecting the manga to carry a similar "heavier" alternative note. With that said, I don't care for the classic rock that has been mentioned, but some people may be enjoying it and I appreciate the author for casting a super wide net to make followers excited for rock music in general ("omg they mentioned Blur!") and to explore bands they haven't heard before. I am excited to see what other musical references are mentioned so far—and there's a good possibility we got a ways to go in the story.

As a side note, the bands you mentioned are pretty great. Let's throw in some Sleater-Kinney and Yeah Yeah Yeahs, too!

last edited at Jul 25, 2022 9:39PM

Weeb Depression
joined Sep 12, 2021

Too late to bring this again XD

Unfortunately you're wrong. People are bringing up the interview again. I wish you were right though.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

This is not to say that as a girl you CAN'T like these bands. Just speaking from experience as a girl who has been a life-long fan of rock music (both older and modern) that their music taste of theirs is beginning to feel a bit out of pocket

In one of the promotional art pieces the author did mention charli bliss which is a modern and female fronted band so maybe I'm just talking out my ass. Point is Aerosmith sucks and I find it weird that these otherwise hip teenage girls would like them.

Still loving this manga though

Well, that's your opinion. Just because a person is into one band doesn't mean they can't enjoy another, same thing with music genres.

As a fellow girl, I like ALL of these bands mentioned so far. And the one who actually got me into it was my mom, so I really disagree with the bands mentioned being an indicator that the author has to be a dude.

Sumiko can just be a woman in her 30s or 20s, who is biracial (apparently?? they tweeted about not knowing if they should tweet in English but wanting to because it's part of their >identity<, which makes me think the author is not 100% japanese) and therefore grew up in an environment where it wasn't that weird to listen to foreign music. Or not, maybe she just found out about the bands because of the internet. In order to like these bands you don't really have to be a middle aged white dude... Or have had contact with a middle aged white dude.

Weeb Depression
joined Sep 12, 2021

Unfortunately I have to put this up too.

Dayer Uploader
Discordavi
Dayer
joined Jun 26, 2018

^ I dm'ed Sumiko a while back. Apparently she grew up outside of Japan, hence why she's fluent in English and probably why she has a facination with Rock music.

Weeb Depression
joined Sep 12, 2021

^ I dm'ed Sumiko a while back. Apparently she grew up outside of Japan, hence why she's fluent in English and probably why she has a facination with Rock music.

That's pretty cool.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I think that's helpful to know, thanks.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Fun Fact: Kurt Cobain was a big fan of Aerosmith.

Fb_img_1479131434796
joined Oct 6, 2014

Not sure why people have their panties in a twist over Aerosmith. People can like more than one genre of songs or enjoy songs that don't come from the same time period. Doesnt saying that it's hard to believe gen z kids wouldn't find this music cringe goes directly against what is one of the core concepts of this manga - which is gen z (or well, "the youth") enjoying music despite their peers considering it old or boring or not mainstream.

joined Jul 15, 2022

How dare you say that?! Read the fucking mood!

I hope she's telling herself that, because in the original Japanese she's holding herself back (without the aggressive language) from expressing directly to her friends her enthusiasm from the last thought bubble as the mood just isn't there.

last edited at Jul 26, 2022 6:40PM

Fb_img_1654918405626
joined Feb 13, 2022

the author just didn't see this as "yuri" but Woman loving another woman situation (like a gender based) also she loves matured girls if u see her other works js.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

the author just didn't see this as "yuri" but Woman loving another woman situation (like a gender based) also she loves matured girls if u see her other works js.

I mean, this is an old discussion at this point and we have all more or less agreed to drop it and see what the future will show, but there is no need to sucker in people with pushing the wrong information. There is a reason someone posted that meme with "not speaking Japanese and using Google Translate to justify myself".

"Woman loving another woman" (or to be more accurate, "women's love", as that was the phrase in question) comes from a machine translation. Machine translations for Japanese are notorious for being bad. Japanese language is difficult and very big on being vague and a lot of meaning being dependant on context and the translation software is simply not equipped for that. There is a reason why machine translations are so despised in the scanlation community.

What Agu actually said was "I would not call this yuri, it is more affection/friendship between girls". The actual translator working on the series commented on it as well. The correct translation was posted a number of times. I understand the urge to cling to hope, but there is no need to spread misinformation. Maybe it will turn out gay in the end regardless, but in any case the author did not say what you wrote here.

To reply you must either login or sign up.