Forum › Miss Sunflower discussion

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Putting all the development talk aside, that two page spread with the bookshelf was lovely. And so was the following page.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Putting all the development talk aside, that two page spread with the bookshelf was lovely. And so was the following page.

You’re right. I don’t remember seeing anything quite like that in this series before.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

That bookshelf was a whole hecking shrine dedicated to her love for Himawari-san, so cute <3

PineconeJuice
Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

Before I was like "this isn't yuri" but after seeing Miss Sunflower not being able to focus on a book because she was thinking about Matsuri? True love. Soulmates even. No buts about it. (Its a joke pls no bully)

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

In most manga I would say that Matsuri's shrine to Miss Sunflower is a bit on the creepy side... But we all know how amazing Matsuri is and I can't find it anything but freakin adorable like every damn thing she does.

Also this line made me laugh way too much: "Could you please decide if you're a great or tirrible adult"

last edited at Jul 11, 2022 2:41PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

See, this is why we needed Onii-san over - to be the bad example that scares Matsuri into properly doing her homework. :D

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

The jokes were so on point this time lo/ Matsuri giving her pat was so cuuuuteee.
Big surprise to see how many books she has now in such a nice bookshelf, super pretty

2here3there
joined Mar 19, 2022

The cover is a fantastic view into the future~

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

In most manga I would say that Matsuri's shrine to Miss Sunflower is a bit on the creepy side...

I don’t quite get this. It’s less of a shrine than—what Matsuri’s bookshelf would have to be. I think the page design just makes it look like a full-scale shrine.

We know that Matsuri didn’t read books before she met Miss Sunflower (except the manga she shared with Fuuko), so most of the books she now has will be from the bookery, with a few from Ayame’s shop. And of course the Christmas-gift bookmark would be a prized possession.

The various shelves also hold a bunch of things that clearly aren’t about Miss Sunflower—plushies, containers, pictures, etc. Matsuri’s just pointing out the things that are. (Although it looks like she does have one of those little hand-drawn signs from Miss Sunflower’s store promos.)

last edited at Jul 11, 2022 3:10PM

joined May 1, 2015

Matsuri's bookshelf mementos are now a family heirloom.
God this story gets better every chapter.

lord-of-roses
Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

Poor onii-san getting burns left and right from Matsuri

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

How unrealistic ...

... the mobile phone network didn't break down right at midnight.

Vlqa
joined Jun 14, 2022

Hey hey I'm not demanding sexual advancement, you think I've been here since 2013 to not know that? even if they were alone together, it wouldn't happen because they're not at that stage and I can agree 100% on this of course but I disagree with saying that any romantic development would be sudden, it's practically just waiting to happen, but those things don't happen so easily in a group or working.

Even if they were left alone and nothing "big" happens, it would still be special just for the fact that it was their moment, a memory for just 2, a couple.

I meant no accusation that you were. I only meant to explain a theory as to why it appears the author makes use of third parties to help facilitate a slower development and keep to a potential application of a world view and experience. This in response to comment on Kaoru being there.

Something like a sudden and explicit confession or physical development would certainly be unbefitting of a story that has long kept to a "moon is beautiful" subtlety and often ambiguous approach to love. Such things being a single element, that is no more than nor less than, to a larger story that is a bittersweet coming of age tale with a balance that keeps it gentle - never too bitter and never too sweet. No sudden fulfillment.

The big would not be gentle, it would be sudden. This may come about later, but it isn't fitting for now, so the author keeps to using third parties.

And sure enough, in this chapter, their appreciation for one another is expressed indirectly. There's no sudden embrace or clear saying. Their expression is poetic and by proxy, not directly.

I think we're all saying the same thing more or less, the approaches are just very different.

last edited at Jul 11, 2022 6:01PM

Vlqa
joined Jun 14, 2022

In most manga I would say that Matsuri's shrine to Miss Sunflower is a bit on the creepy side...

I don’t quite get this. It’s less of a shrine than—what Matsuri’s bookshelf would have to be. I think the page design just makes it look like a full-scale shrine.

We know that Matsuri didn’t read books before she met Miss Sunflower (except the manga she shared with Fuuko), so most of the books she now has will be from the bookery, with a few from Ayame’s shop. And of course the Christmas-gift bookmark would be a prized possession.

The various shelves also hold a bunch of things that clearly aren’t about Miss Sunflower—plushies, containers, pictures, etc. Matsuri’s just pointing out the things that are. (Although it looks like she does have one of those little hand-drawn signs from Miss Sunflower’s store promos.)

If a memento bookshelf is creepy, then don't look at Ayame's photo collection. It's roughly 30% Miss and 70% Sunflower

Such a collection is creepy in other works, because they character collecting them has an unhealthy and dangerous obsession. The why and the way and or reason they took the items into their possession can not be reasonably and or lawfully explained. Otherwise, the item itself is problematic or too private or personal or is symbolic of something the collector shouldn't otherwise have access to or isn't wanted to have access to.

All the items here are given to or made by Miss Sunflower for Matsuri. Or they involve a mutual project or passion that they have made or share together in a mutually beneficial enjoyed and wanted way.

last edited at Jul 11, 2022 6:36PM

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

Not gonna lie, it actually got me a bit emotional. It was such a sweet moment.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

All the items here are given to or made by Miss Sunflower for Matsuri. Or they involve a mutual project or passion that they have made or share together in a mutually beneficial enjoyed and wanted way.

They really don't. What you say is true of all the things Matsuri names, but as I said explicitly before, there are bunch of things on that shelf that, as far as we know, have absolutely nothing to do with Miss Sunflower. Look at the picture itself.

It's a high-school girl's bookshelf.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Normally with a sleep over chapter, I'd be rooting for the MC's to get all snugglly, but I honestly can't even picture these two getting physically romantic. It's not like I feel, them crossing the line from friends into lovers, would spoil their innocence and purity, or anything like that. It's just that showing physical affection would feel wildly out of character, for them.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Not gonna lie, it actually got me a bit emotional. It was such a sweet moment.

Especially that "...Mine too.", truly showing how important Matsuri has become for Himawari-san as well. It's not just Matsuri who sees the mementos of their time together as her dearest treasures, so now does Himawari-san. ^_^

last edited at Jul 12, 2022 5:21AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’d like to point out Onii-san’s role in helping his sister when she was nervous about Matsuri studying. He points out (for our benefit—his sister doesn’t catch what he says) that Miss Sunflower cherishes Matsuri “just as much as your beloved books,” then he asks her to make coffee, enabling her to go see Matsuri without feeling like she’s interfering with her studies.

Good brother—good wingman.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^ Indeed.

joined Jul 21, 2020

These chapters are so wholesome. Even the two page bookshelf spread is just precious. But they are growing up... I wonder how long till we reach a varsity arc?

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

^Let's hope it's not as irritating as Kase-San's.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Damnit Matsuri just gets cuter with each chapter. The card she made for her was amazing. And the fact that she had another like 6 cards to give her she was too afraid to send because she didn't want to be a bother was just so adorable haha. Another fun chapter. Glad we got some time with those two together since it sounds like back to study and school for her with exams and graduation so close now.

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

Swo!on indeed! Miss Sunflower also chose well the words, one could easily said "it would not bother me" or "dont be silly", but to thank and say that you loved it will become a powerfull memory.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Matsuri in heaven.

To reply you must either login or sign up.