Forum › Yuri is Taboo to a Yuri Otaku discussion

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

^ yo, wrong manga
(the fact that i know exactly which manga you’re referring too is not concerning)

last edited at Jun 6, 2022 2:44PM

Ke_Zukulenzia
joined Jul 23, 2019

Now lets see how long the author will draw out this "one sided" love affair between fuyu and ririka...

About as long as Mitsuki can maintain the pretense that she is two different people, I surmise.

(Love your profile pic btw.)

Haha I had to go back one page to look at Classy-Nessi's pp and only then I got why you were talking about Mitsuki. XDD
Aya really makes a pretty avatar, doesn't she? The green background is so soothing...

Images
joined Apr 7, 2021

My English is not good enough for that last chapter, I missed too much to make sense of it. Does anyone know where I can find the raws so I can puzzle it together? Or give me a short summary, that would be amazing:)

Honestly I didn't fully get it either as a native English speaker, what with the twins and weird vocabulary that even I had to look up, I tend to kind of speed read through every relationship that isn't the two mc.

Anyway, the summary I got was that, after Watanabe found at Ririka (the gyaru) liked her, she avoids her at school all day. Then one of the twins pulls Watanbe aside to chat with her. While they're talking, the other twin comes along and says she couldn't have tea time with her onee-sama at the green house, because her onee-sama invited another upper class man along, and the twin felt that she wasn't cool enough to hang out with them. Her twin convinces her to go back, and also they said they loved eachother, honestly I don't really understand it either. Anyway, the twin that wanted to chat with Watanabe basically said that the drama between Watanabe and Ririka won't be fixed by Watanabe ignoring Ririka. So Watanabe goes back and convices herself that she should only look at gay girls, not be a gay girl. Then Ririka confronts her and says she'll convince Watanabe that she loves her.

Thanks a lot!

youdontknowwho
Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

I'm still able to get the gist of the conversation, but the latest chapter is pretty bad even with the usual standard. It's like the translator just opened a thesaurus and inserted synonyms left and right without any regard for readability. No one expects a stellar job from free amateur translation, but why going out of your way to make it this painful to read?

joined Jul 26, 2016

"Abscond" isn't a terribly obscure word you know...

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

No one said it is. It's also not one people use frequently in normal conversation.

joined Jul 26, 2016

No one said it is. It's also not one people use frequently in normal conversation.

It's the only even remotely unusual one I could readily spot. Yet for some reason peeps be talking like this was original 16th-century Shakespeare or some shit.

Probably worth pointing out its use is also initiated by Yuna who is trying very hard to fit in with the rarefied ojousama milieu.

joined Jan 20, 2018

It's the only even remotely unusual one I could readily spot. Yet for some reason peeps be talking like this was original 16th-century Shakespeare or some shit.

It's not so much that any of the words used are too obscure to know the meaning of (except maybe "aggrandizing", or "abscond" for people who haven't been exposed to a certain webcomic). It's that in context, it really reads like someone started with a more reasonable translation and then started looking up synonyms in a thesaurus and swapping in words that don't mean quite the same thing or aren't used in that way.

P5: "Did something arise?" instead of "Did something happen?"
P6: "for circulating the article spot on" instead of (meaning unclear, possibly "for getting the article out so quickly" or "the article was perfect")
P6: "conducted it all" instead of "did it all" or maybe "wrote the whole thing"
P7: "Was mischief brought to light?" instead of "Did you get caught?"
P7: "scurried" instead of "hurried"
P7: "I noticed how gleaming was the 2-shot of Aoi onee-sama and Takako-sama" instead of "Aoi onee-sama and Takako-sama seemed so picturesque together" or maybe "Aoi onee-sama and Takako-sama looked like they were shining"
P8: "I'm so deeply humble to those two's tea party" instead of "I'd be so out of place at their tea party" or maybe "I felt like I was intruding"
P8: "isn't privy to" instead "doesn't know"
P8: "That's inconceivable!" instead of "No way!"
P8: "instances where one hurts another without a word" instead of "times when one hurts another by not saying anything" or maybe "you can hurt someone by not talking to them"
P9: "For the meantime" instead of "For now"
P9: "how about I socialize for you? With Takako-sama that is." instead of "how about I go instead? To spend time with Takako-sama, that is." (The second sentence here still feels grammatically awkward to me, though I can't think of something better off the top of my head.)
P9: "I'll endeavour this myself" instead of "I'll do this myself" or maybe "I need to do this myself"
P10: "Fujiyama-san is present to boot, so it'll proceed well enough" instead of "Fujiyama-san is also there, so it'll be fine"
P10: "aggrandizing" instead of "exaggerating" or maybe "flattering me"
P12: "that conduct you have with Ririka-san" instead of "how you're acting around Ririka-san"
P13: "evading it" instead of "avoiding it"
P13: "mend things with her" instead of "make up with her"

last edited at Jun 7, 2022 3:11PM

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Vocabulary aside it all boils down to CHAD "fuyu we are lesbians now" Yoshioka and Virgin "nooo I can't be yuri" Watanabe. That was the 14th chapter. That's the whole manga.
Someone pls make this meme I have poor editing skills

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

It's not so much that any of the words used are too obscure to know the meaning of (except maybe "aggrandizing", or "abscond" for people who haven't been exposed to a certain webcomic). It's that in context, it really reads like someone started with a more reasonable translation and then started looking up synonyms in a thesaurus and swapping in words that don't mean quite the same thing or aren't used in that way.

P5: "Did something arise?" instead of "Did something happen?"
P6: "for circulating the article spot on" instead of (meaning unclear, possibly "for getting the article out so quickly" or "the article was perfect")
P6: "conducted it all" instead of "did it all" or maybe "wrote the whole thing"
P7: "Was mischief brought to light?" instead of "Did you get caught?"
P7: "scurried" instead of "hurried"
P7: "I noticed how gleaming was the 2-shot of Aoi onee-sama and Takako-sama" instead of "Aoi onee-sama and Takako-sama seemed so picturesque together" or maybe "Aoi onee-sama and Takako-sama looked like they were shining"
P8: "I'm so deeply humble to those two's tea party" instead of "I'd be so out of place at their tea party" or maybe "I felt like I was intruding"
P8: "isn't privy to" instead "doesn't know"
P8: "That's inconceivable!" instead of "No way!"
P8: "instances where one hurts another without a word" instead of "times when one hurts another by not saying anything" or maybe "you can hurt someone by not talking to them"
P9: "For the meantime" instead of "For now"
P9: "how about I socialize for you? With Takako-sama that is." instead of "how about I go instead? To spend time with Takako-sama, that is." (The second sentence here still feels grammatically awkward to me, though I can't think of something better off the top of my head.)
P9: "I'll endeavour this myself" instead of "I'll do this myself" or maybe "I need to do this myself"
P10: "Fujiyama-san is present to boot, so it'll proceed well enough" instead of "Fujiyama-san is also there, so it'll be fine"
P10: "aggrandizing" instead of "exaggerating" or maybe "flattering me"
P12: "that conduct you have with Ririka-san" instead of "how you're acting around Ririka-san"
P13: "evading it" instead of "avoiding it"
P13: "mend things with her" instead of "make up with her"

I think it's the sudden shift to this sort of flowery language when up til now the language was fairly straightforward. We wouldn't notice if it had always been like this.

Now I'm curious as to what was the story with this chapter.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Watanabe's way of talking is being represented. Look at how the sempai in Please My God Please talks. Half the time she's quoting Marimite. This isn't Jimiko/Gyaru, it's Story S Yuri Cultist/Gyaru.

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

New: A good flashback chapter. Mild development, all foreshadowed. We met Fuyu and Ririka's close friends who they each interacted with by phone in the present-period. Absolutely no surprises.

Best part: Fuyu got hooked on yuri (and by implication otaku things in general) because when she was slightly exposed to anime some tiny bits of LGBT content were "neat". You and me both, sister.

I think it's great when people suddenly get attached to an art because a surprise emotional connection to a tiny element of it.

last edited at Jun 9, 2022 1:55PM

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Okay here's my guess: Watanabe has an ex-crush or ex-girlfriend from middle school that she fell out with (thats who was texting her) and so she immersed herself in the world of yuri as a way of escaping and deflecting from her own sexuality, vowing to "never have a 3d love again" and so she's gonna try to distance herself from Yoshioka out of fear of loss again.

Is it too early to say i called it?

Miasmaphonia
Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

It's interesting that the best chapter in a long while didn't feature any of the side characters, and instead focused on the main characters.
It's almost as if...

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

Okay here's my guess: Watanabe has an ex-crush or ex-girlfriend from middle school that she fell out with (thats who was texting her) and so she immersed herself in the world of yuri as a way of escaping and deflecting from her own sexuality, vowing to "never have a 3d love again" and so she's gonna try to distance herself from Yoshioka out of fear of loss again.

Still too early, we need to see how watanabe ended being that "yuri maniac" and so closed to the idea of being part of a romance

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Yoshioka has such good friends

saltyslug5561
Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Oh no I was hoping they would do the sad flashback in one chapter. I really dont wanna get attached to the characters knowing it ends with heartbreak. But I also wanna see them more because they seem less stuck up compared to Ojousama Highschool students. Why is life so cruel?

SmokedSalmon
C67
joined Aug 19, 2021

Yoshioka has such good friends

I was thinking the same. It's so nice to see a manga where the protag's so-called friends aren't actually dicks or people with 0 self-awareness.

Also, isn't Midori the girl in the uniform?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Just when we thought we were getting just Watanabe's backstory this time, we get pleasantly surprised with Yoshioka's as well. ^_^

Midna%20and%20zelda_1w2
joined Apr 2, 2014

Vocabulary aside it all boils down to CHAD "fuyu we are lesbians now" Yoshioka and Virgin "nooo I can't be yuri" Watanabe. That was the 14th chapter. That's the whole manga.

https://i.postimg.cc/vZTPyQhp/watanabe-and-yoshioka-virgin-chad.png

Here you go queen (I dunno how to insert pics in a post itself, I did read the instructions but didn't get it)

SmokedSalmon
C67
joined Aug 19, 2021

Here you go queen (I dunno how to insert pics in a post itself, I did read the instructions but didn't get it)

I'm deceased lmfao

You can post pictures by formatting it like this:

!_[text goes here, if it was a link alone you'd be able to see it but since it's a picture it doesn't matter, you can also write down the brackets alone with nothing between them]_(the link of the picture goes here)

Like that, but without the underscores.

![]()

last edited at Jun 9, 2022 5:29AM

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

I think it's the sudden shift to this sort of flowery language when up til now the language was fairly straightforward. We wouldn't notice if it had always been like this.

Nah, we'd just call it out for being awkward much earlier because it's not "flowery" so much as "weird". It's grammatical, but unnaturally constructed.

ANYWAY, new chapter and I'm definitely getting the vibe I predicted where Fuyu's gonna fall in love and then get told "no way, it's not something real life!"

Ririka, on the other hand, not only walks all over most gyaru tropes, so do her friends. It's great and I feel like when she admits to courting a wallflower, they're going to be really happy and encouraging. (Please don't make them face-heel turn on us, comic, I'm begging you.)

Screenshot%2006-15-2022%2021.27.00
joined Mar 25, 2021

damn ririka's friends are so nice

Screenshot%2006-15-2022%2021.27.00
joined Mar 25, 2021

Still too early, we need to see how watanabe ended being that "yuri maniac" and so closed to the idea of being part of a romance

Betting that the crush (already forgot her name) either rejected her or had someone else she likes, maybe even insulting her or her love for the genre in the process, would explain why shes in such denial when it comes to actually being a partner in romance.

Midna%20and%20zelda_1w2
joined Apr 2, 2014

I'm deceased lmfao

You can post pictures by formatting it like this:

!_[text goes here, if it was a link alone you'd be able to see it but since it's a picture it doesn't matter, you can also write down the brackets alone with nothing between them]_(the link of the picture goes here)

Like that, but without the underscores.

![]()

Thanks! Here's a bonus
yoshiokagigachad

(here's hoping it works)

To reply you must either login or sign up.