Forum › Please Bully Me, Miss Villainess! discussion

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I was lied to. I thought this series wasn't going to have drawn out drama and it was just going to be wholesome.

The author made that notice after this entire arc was done, and the web novel only had this angst for literally two real-life days. Everything after this will be almost purely fluff and wholesome or at least not angst for a long, long time.

Also note the web novel notice is only guaranteed to apply to, well the web novel. The manhua has some changes in the pacing that might alter how things feel. But even so, the fluff should return in another two chapters, and three chapters at the most.

last edited at Jun 6, 2022 10:51AM

joined Mar 25, 2019

Terrific news everyone, I've started a Tvtropes page for this here's the link: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/LightNovel/PleaseBullyMeMissVillainess

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Well, that was a hateful thing to say.

LackLustre09721
joined Apr 26, 2022

Another one bites the dust

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Feelings are complicated.

Pretty sure that if she shared what was happening to her with Evie that Evie's magic is powerful enough to tamper with the system.

last edited at Jun 6, 2022 11:59AM

Yaa%20898
joined Apr 24, 2022

No angst whatsoever yep totally.

At this point it would’ve been easier to tell Elsa about the villainess system than break both of your hearts with this lie.

Tell Elsa what? That she hears voices that tell her to hurt others and she does as they say?

Would there even be mental hospitals at their time which is like set in a medieval setting I presume?

the mental hospitals at the time was being burned at the stake.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Would there even be mental hospitals at their time which is like set in a medieval setting I presume?

Not like a good hospital to treat people, but a place to stash and hopefully care for them, yes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethlem_Royal_Hospital
ostensibly where the word 'Bedlam' comes from, founded in 1247 AD, maybe used as an asylum from 1377, transformation complete by 1460, which is almost out of the 'medieval' period.

While mechanical restraint and solitary confinement are likely to have been used for those regarded as dangerous,[33] little else is known of the actual treatment of the insane for much of the medieval period

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunatic_asylum#Medieval_era mentions Islamic asylums

In the Islamic world, the Bimaristans were described by European travellers, who wrote about their wonder at the care and kindness shown to lunatics. In 872, Ahmad ibn Tulun built a hospital in Cairo that provided care to the insane, which included music therapy.

So yes, having some place for a 'mad' person -- especially one from a family wealthy or elite enough to pa for her care -- would not be implausible. Even more so if the world has magic useful for treatment.

My%20project%20(4)
joined Jan 15, 2020

Ooof the angst storm is coming, I can feel it! Brace for impact!

Images
joined Feb 9, 2015

I was lied to. I thought this series wasn't going to have drawn out drama and it was just going to be wholesome.

The author made that notice after this entire arc was done, and the web novel only had this angst for literally two real-life days. Everything after this will be almost purely fluff and wholesome or at least not angst for a long, long time.

Also note the web novel notice is only guaranteed to apply to, well the web novel. The manhua has some changes in the pacing that might alter how things feel. But even so, the fluff should return in another two chapters, and three chapters at the most.

Then I will be back in the next 3 chapters. My heart can't take all the angst cliffhanger.

%d0%b6%d0%b8%d1%81%d1%83
joined Jul 4, 2019

jesus christ... if i were Dorothy, i would really have given up already tbh

joined Aug 29, 2019

jesus christ... if i were Dorothy, i would really have given up already tbh

I'm pretty sure Dorothy sees through her insofar that she's realized that there's something that compels Yvonne to bully and sometimes harm her, something that's beyond Yvonne's control, and that Yvonne's mostly scared of what she'll end up being compelled to do.
She might think it's a Geas or something.

last edited at Jun 6, 2022 4:28PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Terrific news everyone, I've started a Tvtropes page for this here's the link: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/LightNovel/PleaseBullyMeMissVillainess

Thanks for laying down the groundwork. I went ahead and gave it a touch-up, but there's still a lot of work to do on that page. :)

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

I understand why Yvonne is doing this, but it still hurts to see. Hurt her now, or eventually, murder her. Not much of a choice.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

The way I see it, Evie's problem is that she still views Elsa as a fragile flower and does not trust in Elsa's ability to handle whatever the villainess system throws at them. This is not Evie's fault because she was traumatized by the last time she rebelled against it and has an overwhelming fear of its wrath. Still, we've been shown time and time again that Elsa is a powerhouse and that, unless she is caught at a very vulnerable moment like at the very start of the series, nothing Evie does to her can actually stick.

Uh ... We have definitely not been shown that. Elsa is a powerful mage, and she'd beat Evie is a straight up contest of magic, but she's still human. She has weaknesses and, more importantly, she's no more durable than everyone else.

Feelings are complicated.

Pretty sure that if she shared what was happening to her with Evie that Evie's magic is powerful enough to tamper with the system.

There's no indication that her magic could even touch the system, let alone be strong enough to interfere with it. While it's certainly possible she could do something, I'd expect it to result from her status as heroine, not raw magic power, and that doesn't seem to be working out for her so far.

TheAlmightyUltimus
Hyper%20kabuto
joined Oct 30, 2018

If Yvonne tried to explain about the System, would it allow that? I think Elsa likes Yvonne enough she'd believe her, especially since she's been so nice when she's supposed to be 'bullying' her. If she could explain I think they might be able to figure something out... but then again, we don't know exactly how powerful the System is. It was able to completely upend Yvonne's life just cause she wouldn't kill Elsa, so who's to say it wouldn't take matters into it's own hands?

I think for those two to be happy they need to find a way to beat the System, since that's the only thing holding Yvonne back from letting herself admit that she likes Elsa

last edited at Jun 8, 2022 6:30PM

Img_5712
joined Jan 3, 2022

At this point it would’ve been easier to tell Elsa about the villainess system than break both of your hearts with this lie.

Tell Elsa what? That she hears voices that tell her to hurt others and she does as they say?

Lmao
I mean-
It could work??

If Yvonne tried to explain about the System, would it allow that? I think Evie likes Yvonne enough she'd believe her, especially since she's been so nice when she's supposed to be 'bullying' her. If she could explain I think they might be able to figure something out... but then again, we don't know exactly how powerful the System is. It was able to completely upend Yvonne's life just cause she wouldn't kill Evie, so who's to say it wouldn't take matters into it's own hands?

I think for those two to be happy they need to find a way to beat the System, since that's the only thing holding Yvonne back from letting herself admit that she likes Evie

Oh yeah Evie could get herself or her family killed, or she physically can't bring it up to Elsa.
It must be something pretty bad preventing her from speaking up since she hasn't even tried telling Elsa about it.
I hope that Evie does try so we can say that her trying to hurt Elsa is the best that she can do, but for now, I dont think saying that she hates Elsa is a good idea.

(Do you guys think she'll get villainess points for hurting Elsa like that?)

last edited at Jun 6, 2022 10:40PM

Screenshot%2006-15-2022%2021.27.00
joined Mar 25, 2021

If Yvonne tried to explain about the System, would it allow that? I think Evie likes Yvonne enough she'd believe her, especially since she's been so nice when she's supposed to be 'bullying' her. If she could explain I think they might be able to figure something out... but then again, we don't know exactly how powerful the System is. It was able to completely upend Yvonne's life just cause she wouldn't kill Evie, so who's to say it wouldn't take matters into it's own hands?

I think for those two to be happy they need to find a way to beat the System, since that's the only thing holding Yvonne back from letting herself admit that she likes Evie

Damn can't believe the system isn't allowing Yvonne to like herself fr fr (it's Elsa lmao)
But yeah, in order for them to actually progress they'd need to stop whatever the system is, big threat (even tho I believed it was the best wingman :(. ), they'd need to find the roots and stop it, seeing as this world is magic and all it isn't hard to believe that the cause is some kind of magic.

But if the system is some kind of invincible eternal system, then I think the best way to truly get rid of it is trying to fulfill the story, aka Elsa getting a love interest. Its pretty clear that Yvonne is probably a love interest, maybe in a sequel of the game she just never knew. So them getting together would get rid of the system.

But again we have no idea just how the system can be defeated, and all of this is just dependent on hope that it would work.

If it's like some magic curse or beast then I can imagine Elsa and Yvonne teaming up and making the elemental fusion or something that Yvonne mentioned many chapters ago to defeat it.

joined Mar 25, 2021

Oh yeah Evie could get herself or her family killed, or she physically can't bring it up to Elsa.
It must be something pretty bad preventing her from speaking up since she hasn't even tried telling Elsa about it.
I hope that Evie does try so we can say that her trying to hurt Elsa is the best that she can do, but for now, I dont think saying that she hates Elsa is a good idea.

(Do you guys think she'll get villainess points for hurting Elsa like that?)

While Elsa would most likely allow Evie to hurt her in order to figure out how to get rid of the system, it seems super risky and very mentally tasking and traumatising for Evie. Like the poor girl can't look at Elsa's injury without getting heavy ptsd already, any more than a small slice and she's probably gonna breakdown.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Not like a good hospital to treat people, but a place to stash and hopefully care for them, yes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethlem_Royal_Hospital
ostensibly where the word 'Bedlam' comes from, founded in 1247 AD, maybe used as an asylum from 1377, transformation complete by 1460, which is almost out of the 'medieval' period.

Good info. But in any case, this setting is far from what I'd call medieval. This is a setting with cosmopolitan cities that clearly have, you know, sewers, plus airy broad avenues instead of twisty little medieval streets, coffee shops . . . this isn't even renaissance, it feels totally Enlightenment, like Napoleonic or thereabouts. Except with magic, perhaps magic replacing guns.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

But if the system is some kind of invincible eternal system, then I think the best way to truly get rid of it is trying to fulfill the story, aka Elsa getting a love interest. Its pretty clear that Yvonne is probably a love interest, maybe in a sequel of the game she just never knew. So them getting together would get rid of the system.

it is mentioned very early in the story that Yvonne never finished the game that she is now the villainess of, because it had terrible gacha mechanics that sought to suck money out of you. She was a beta tester and thus has a good amount of knowledge but she never actually finished it so she doesn't actually know everything about the game. So Yvonne doesn't even have to be a love interest in a secret sequel she's probably just a secret route love interest in the game she played but never finished

Chad%20narukami
joined Feb 28, 2022

This is definitely been said before, but if she just explained the weird game thing scenario, it'd probably work out really well. But that wouldn't be drama, and I'm not exactly complaining we get to see better Pyra and Mythra's antics.(they got so much better after simply removing Rex!)

Chad%20narukami
joined Feb 28, 2022

What was that thing at the beginning of the story that tried to get Elsa to jump off the school? Are we gonna talk about that?

joined Jan 14, 2020

Someday, maybe? I think she called it a 'mare' (like nightmare?) but also didn't know about it or was surprised by it.

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

What was that thing at the beginning of the story that tried to get Elsa to jump off the school? Are we gonna talk about that?

My theory is that the Villainess system is actually something like that, feeding off of Evie's fears.

joined Mar 25, 2021

She called it a mare, probably some kind of demonic spirit that latches on the emotionally weak to force them to commit suicide or something.

I think it was spawned/summoned by the system to force Evie to choose something for once, or maybe since Evie won't do anything it tried to finish off Elsa by itself by summoning it and potentially empowering it.

Would honestly make the system even scarier tbh..

To reply you must either login or sign up.