Forum › Still Not Normal Today discussion

chaosOrchestrator
joined Jul 10, 2015

Is it just me, or is the 'where is it written' thing in ch4 implying that she's autistic?

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

I like that her not reading the novel in ch 4 is not milked for drama. I get that this is just the way this manga is, but it is still nice.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

Is it just me, or is the 'where is it written' thing in ch4 implying that she's autistic?

oh I definitely get that feeling too, her struggle with reading the room is very reminiscent of the struggle that can come with being autistic.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Ah yes,democracy.

The perfect political demonstration needed in every yuri comic.

Now we need some for engineering...

joined Mar 19, 2022

jurammic

Screenshot%2006-15-2022%2021.27.00
joined Mar 25, 2021

ahhh wishing to have hung out more after graduation.. How relatable..
But hey would you look at that, looks like she didn't forget her at least!

Roodypatooti
Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

JOWS

Dynasty%20profile%20v13
joined Apr 27, 2018

I don't get why Takahashi is upset over Yamashita not singing the school anthem... Like I don't think it's that big of a deal?

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

the thing about reading the room makes me think that yamashita might be ND which is cool.

Gelert_Xross
joined Apr 15, 2013

Her being on the spectrum makes a lot of sense. It never even occurred to me, but it does make some things add up.

Undertale%20deltarune%20fukufire%20skateboard%20gay
joined Aug 4, 2021

I don't get why Takahashi is upset over Yamashita not singing the school anthem... Like I don't think it's that big of a deal?

it's more about her regretting that yamashita was always so reluctant to speak out and be heard

the point was to let yamashita know that even if she doesnt communicate as well as others, takahashi still wanted to hear her

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Yamashita definitely is written as if she is on the spectrum. Takahashi is just atypical.

After high school, nothing is forcing them to stick together. Now we're getting into gal pals territory. Christmas date platonic gal pals.

Dynasty%20profile%20v13
joined Apr 27, 2018

larvi posted:

it's more about her regretting that yamashita was always so reluctant to speak out and be heard

the point was to let yamashita know that even if she doesnt communicate as well as others, takahashi still wanted to hear her

Oh I see that makes sense.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

How come the two, as close friends, still address each other with last name only? No honorific, or "chan". (ok they cannot use sempai or kouhai since they are in the same grade)

I wish the team would wrote down who published the manga, or the original anthology which is better. I cannot support the mangaka even if I want to.
It seems to be dated, the MC uses a flip phone. 10 years old manga??

last edited at May 11, 2022 9:19AM

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

Well this all appears to be a flashback, since in the start we see the characters many years in the future, so it could be a period piece back to the mid 2000s

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I wish the team would wrote down who published the manga, or the original anthology which is better. I cannot support the mangaka even if I want to.

According to baka-updates, it was published last year by Yuri Hime @ Pixiv, and is complete at 1 volume. I remember seeing the volume show up on Amazon because it's got a striking design.

I really like this story. It's got a chill, contemplative vibe very different from U-Temo's other stuff I've seen. It's not a million miles from Ah… and Mm… Are All She Says. I'm interested to see where it goes.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So my read on it is that Yamashita is somewhere on the autistic spectrum, which hinders her in engaging in all of the groupist activities that the Japanese society traditionally values so much, like reading rooms (i.e. others' non-verbal cues and subtext) and singing anthems. This is why she is "not normal", i.e. not like the majority of the people surrounding her

Takahashi, meanwhile, is just an eccentric who a) enjoys different things from people around her and b) isn't socially anxious enough to hide her differences. This is why she is "not normal", too, and also what allows her to bond with Yamashita, to the point where she prefers to hang out with her over doing so with the normies, even if the latter evidently accept her eccentricities (if only by repeatedly invalidating them via heavy-handed democracy).

last edited at May 12, 2022 6:27AM

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

An alternative to Yamashita being autistic could be that "where is it written" is a sarcastic response in the form of a pun, along the lines of "why should I bother to do that?". I definitely responded with similar responses to queries about why I didn't try to fit with the rest of my class or respond to these unspoken cues, purely because I didn't want to and disliked being forced into social interactions. The few times I went through tests (first in school, then before my draft and eventually for some job applications) there was no hint of me being on the spectrum.

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Takahashi's love of cute girls continues, and it's confirmed it includes lewd videos and manga ['cause the girls are cute]. And she can't define the relationship she has with Yamashita, who she likes being around. Auspicious stuff. She may not be into real women but I have hope for the airhead.

Yamashita is stern and rarely expressive and judging by how frustrated she was about unwritten expectations, she's often masking confusion and annoyance. Assuming she doesn't have many deficits the diagnosis isn't too important; she's far from neurotypical. I don't get her thought process but that's probably part of the intention with her character.... Also, Yamashita doesn't seem romantic despite hanging out with Takahashi unless we read into unreliable things, like the panel blocking her face when saying [putting that aside... I don't do dirty talk] in reply to Takahashi puzzling over the relationship.

The yuri tag is reassuring. Though I doubt we'll see an actual change in their relationship before the Christmas at age 27 from chapter 1 (which had plenty of yuri subtext).

last edited at May 17, 2022 11:01PM

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

I thought windyfall was getting better, but now they’re getting worse

Reimari2%20-%20crop
joined Sep 7, 2016

(Translator's note: namachichi means raw boobs)

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

ch 7, pg 73, "they said me they'd" -> "they said they'd"

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

If you think that's dirty, have you met Salacious Crumb?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So, does Takahashi actually have suicidal ideation or is she just prone to exaggerating her misery?

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

So, does Takahashi actually have suicidal ideation or is she just prone to exaggerating her misery?

Just your average pass from teenage to adulthood... Full of misery

To reply you must either login or sign up.