Forum › A Love Letter for the Marching Puppy discussion

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

ahh thank goodness! I read the uploads on Mangadex not realizing they were from a different translator and got thrown by how different the translations were. This reads so much better!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

why would you treat your daughter this way. i dont get the motivations of the auntie -- is she into indou? like whut.

The mom was actually into Chiyo, Indou’s mother.

Later chapters show the we have a bad case of “It’s All My Fault,” where little Kagami’s meeting with Chiyo led to Chiyo getting transferred and eventually killed in battle, and then Kagami’s mother also blaming her.

Kagami’s mom seems to be a bit of a psychopath.

EDIT: And yeah, while I never want to slag the work of any scanlators, I can follow the story much better in this translation.

last edited at Mar 24, 2022 10:33AM

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

That credit page says it all. Wait this long again...that's a paddlin'.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Without spoiling too much, Auntie/Kagami's mom comes off pretty bad in all this. She does get redeemed by the fact that she did an actual good job of raising Indo and being a legit parent for her though.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Auntie is a bit of a hypocrite with the whole eavesdropping thing, huh. Among other things.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

After re-reading a bit, yeah Auntie is kinda horrible lmao

I mean it was foretold just as far back as when Indou showed up looking like garbage after having lived with Auntie for years. Terrible guardian, terrible mother, terrible officer lol

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

After re-reading a bit, yeah Auntie is kinda horrible lmao

I mean it was foretold just as far back as when Indou showed up looking like garbage after having lived with Auntie for years. Terrible guardian, terrible mother, terrible officer lol

It’s been awhile but I thought auntie just visited every once and a while and some other bad peeps took care of her cause auntie paid

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

It’s been awhile but I thought auntie just visited every once and a while and some other bad peeps took care of her cause auntie paid

Yeah you're totally right, I hadn't read far enough ahead to get to that point yet and misremembered how the story went =w=

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Auntie is a bit of a hypocrite with the whole eavesdropping thing, huh. Among other things.

Oh yeah good catch. Freaking heck.

8a9
joined Feb 7, 2018

Now this is a nice surprise

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

Question for the people who read ahead, is there a worldbuilding reason this Japan is training female officers, or is that something that just is?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Question for the people who read ahead, is there a worldbuilding reason this Japan is training female officers, or is that something that just is?

Nope, no more explanation than in Chapter 1–Japanese military fluffy yuri academy.

4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

What's happening is Mother Kagami is attempting to groom Shinobu in an pretty disgusting way as a stand-in for her mom. Whether that was her intention from the jump is unclear.

I feel like the lead-in for Kagami here indicates she and her mother feel she is in some way responsible for Chiyo's death. Either way I think her being the product of an unwanted heterosexual union hasn't endeared her to her mother.

last edited at Mar 25, 2022 3:39AM

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

Current chapter aside, considering the gap between it and the last chapter we got, I was "forced" to re-read it from the start, and I won't lie, I really like how Indou changed. It just shows here and there, but it's a nice thing to follow.

As for the current events, our dear auntie is obviously in the wrong, but I can understand why she's acting the way she does. It's a lot of feelings pilled together. It doesn't help that Indou looks so much like her mother, with a little bit of projection, our dear auntie probably sees her as such. It's most likely a little purgatory for her, where she has someone who, in her eyes, is like Chiyo, as if the past came to visit. At the same time, she tries to atone for some sins that she self-inflicted upon herself, while being constantly reminded of everything from the past, desperately trying to avoid the same thing happening. It's like she's attempting to rewrite time, without actually being able to do so.

Now again, I know she's in the bad here, but it's just... I'm not angry, just really sad about her. I do hope that things go well for Indou and Kagami. I also hope that our dear auntie comes to her senses as well. The latter is not because she's an obvious barrier between the happiness of the two, but because I do hope she herself finds some peace.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

It's kind of weird how both moms had children at a young age with completely nameless and faceless men who were never heard from or seen afterwards . It feels like there's some world building factors in the story that the author just never felt like giving. Not that it really matters to the plot obviously, I just find it a bit strange. It's like Tomoyo's mom from Cardcaptor Sakura having had a husband at some point all the while being very obviously not interested in men in any way, shape or form :P Like, how did THAT happen ?

last edited at Mar 25, 2022 11:54AM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Eavesdropping on superiors in a military is a different indiscretion from eavesdropping on cadets.

Eavesdropping on superiors can lead to the spread of classified intel.

(I mean, I'm not saying she's justified in eavesdropping, or that she was being honest when she criticized her daughter, I'm just pointing out they're not exactly the same.)

last edited at Mar 25, 2022 11:56AM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

It's kind of weird how both moms had children at a young age with completely nameless and faceless men who were never heard from or seen afterwards . It feels like there's some world building factors in the story that the author just never felt like giving. Not that it really matters to the plot obviously, I just find it a bit strange. It's like Tomoyo's mom from Cardcaptor Sakura having had a husband at some point all the while being very obviously not interested in men in any way, shape or form :P Like, how did THAT happen ?

Given the setting and their social status, probably arranged marriages. (and the dads probably died in the war as well.)

last edited at Mar 25, 2022 12:01PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It's kind of weird how both moms had children at a young age with completely nameless and faceless men who were never heard from or seen afterwards . It feels like there's some world building factors in the story that the author just never felt like giving. Not that it really matters to the plot obviously, I just find it a bit strange.

We've been commenting all along that the strangest, or at least most far-reaching, bit of dropped world-building is any explanation at all for the entire concept of female military officers in early-20th century Japan. (To say nothing of a fluffy, yuri-friendly such military school.)

I've tried to think of historical analogies (stories of European chivalry featuring peasants as knights-errant? A fluffy, yuri-friendly gladiator school?), but nothing seems to exactly match the distance between this series as "imaginary historical fiction" and the reality of Japanese military culture at this period in history.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Clearly the two moms must have impregnated each other through unprotected handholding at some point.

(stories of European chivalry featuring peasants as knights-errant? A fluffy, yuri-friendly gladiator school?)

Chevaliere?

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Seems like the men are in the stables in this universe.

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

(just read the first volume and,) I can't believe I hadn't read this series before!

It's really nice, I love the main characters' dynamic. I'll admit, I'm a bit weak with female soldiers... And light hair in ponytails, so this is a killer combo for me.

Also, the main character is just too cute, I find myself passionately rooting for the wild rural girl with limitless reserves of energy!

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Eavesdropping on superiors in a military is a different indiscretion from eavesdropping on cadets.

(I mean, I'm not saying she's justified in eavesdropping, or that she was being honest when she criticized her daughter, I'm just pointing out they're not exactly the same.)

Yes I am aware, however the way she phrased the accusation was "a proud officer cadet like you would never do something like that, right?", focusing on her daughter's character rather than any actual breaching of military code. And in this situation it is hardly an officer listening in on cadets either.

Point is, her own pride or lack thereof certainly does not seem to stop herself from eavesdropping.

last edited at Mar 26, 2022 6:58AM

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Yes I am aware, however the way she phrased the accusation was "a proud officer cadet like you would never do something like that, right?", focusing on her daughter's character rather than any actual breaching of military code. And in this situation it is hardly an officer listening in on cadets either.

Point is, her own pride or lack thereof certainly does not seem to stop herself from eavesdropping.

I'm not sure I'd call what she's doing eavesdropping. They are literally right outside the room they were just arguing in. Do you expect her to up and change rooms just because they decided to have their conversation there. If they had any intention of not being overheard, they should've moved elsewhere. So to equate that to eavesdropping on your superior officers is a bit much.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

I'm not sure I'd call what she's doing eavesdropping. They are literally right outside the room they were just arguing in. Do you expect her to up and change rooms just because they decided to have their conversation there. If they had any intention of not being overheard, they should've moved elsewhere. So to equate that to eavesdropping on your superior officers is a bit much.

Well, maybe, it is hard to say where they are exactly in relation to before with how the panels are set up. At any rate Auntie is shown as if noticing them, cracking the door open, and then listening in. Take that as you will.

I don't know why the degree of seriousness even matters, but it does not seem like this character comes off too well from all this so meh pointless argument either way.

joined Aug 29, 2019

why would you treat your daughter this way. i dont get the motivations of the auntie -- is she into indou? like whut.

The mom was actually into Chiyo, Indou’s mother.

Later chapters show the we have a bad case of “It’s All My Fault,” where little Kagami’s meeting with Chiyo led to Chiyo getting transferred and eventually killed in battle, and then Kagami’s mother also blaming her.

Kagami’s mom seems to be a bit of a psychopath.

EDIT: And yeah, while I never want to slag the work of any scanlators, I can follow the story much better in this translation.

Yeah well, I've only read what's been released here (over the last three days) and all that comes as very little surprise.

I'm more surprised that it apparently ends in three chapters? oO What's up with that...
Anyway, I'll probably be patiently waiting for the White Garden TL instead of reading ahead over on Mangadex.

To reply you must either login or sign up.