Forum › Lilies, Voice, Wear Wind discussion

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

I actually fainted coming out of the bath just about a month ago. It was a bit scary. I had to run the cold water on me to try and prevent heat stroke.

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

There is still a lot that she can learn. She could end up in a romantic relationship without having sex - that would still be new for her as she has never been in a relationship. On top of that it also includes the struggle that a majority of society views sex as an integral part of a relationship and thus has little understanding for people that don't work that way.
Or she could simply enter a close non-romantic relationship. This too would be new territory for her, since she expected to stay alone and it would include opening up to the partner, communicating what they want out of this relationship and all this stuff. She could slowly find out about other options outside of romance and how she can be happy and close to other people without having to confirm to others expectations. Isn't that also a theme in yuri mangas, that the mc learns that they can in fact defy societies expectations of a hetero marriage and instead be in a relationship with another woman? The hardship of going against the majority? Why wouldn't that be a possibility here with non-traditional relationships?
And even if she ends up in a romantic relationship, why would she have to have sex? Just to prove that she was wrong?

Well... If their relationship has no romance and/or sex thats just friendship, though she wont be able to be in a non romantic relationship anymore since she already demonstrated a gist of jealousy so non romantic relationship will end up out of the question for her.

In the matter of sex... Idk i never really understood this sort of stuff i barely understand the basics of homosexuality and asexuality but if by any means what Yuriko's reason to "not love the same way as others" is related to her scars, the outcome of this can be may end up being quite disappointing to some... Those types of scars dont look like theyre something that she got a year or 2 years ago so if she had to live with them since a long time ago i would expect some kind of trauma behind them

last edited at Mar 25, 2022 1:01AM

Act
joined Jun 9, 2018

one of the tropes I hate the most seems to be a staple of yuri manga sadly (bath fainting)

Screenshot%202022-03-25%20015936
joined Mar 24, 2022

Or she could simply enter a close non-romantic relationship. This too would be new territory for her, since she expected to stay alone and it would include opening up to the partner, communicating what they want out of this relationship and all this stuff. She could slowly find out about other options outside of romance and how she can be happy and close to other people without having to confirm to others expectations. Isn't that also a theme in yuri mangas, that the mc learns that they can in fact defy societies expectations of a hetero marriage and instead be in a relationship with another woman? The hardship of going against the majority? Why wouldn't that be a possibility here with non-traditional relationships?

That could be interesting, although I'm having doubts about the last couple of sentences there. It seems to me that a close relationship that was neither romantic nor sexual would simply be a close friendship. And even people who are both romantically and sexually inclined are mostly capable of, and do not reject the idea of, close friendships. So I'm not sure there would actually be any hardship or defiance of societal expectations involved in being an asexual aromantic who was close friends with someone.

The relationship that I'm talking about is called QPR - Queer Platonic Relationship. Calling it just a very deep friendship doesn't really capture it in my opinion, since it is very much on the same emotional level as a romantic relationship. So moving in with each other, spending quality time together and even raising kids are very much possible if the involved parties are up to it. So it's not just being close friends with each other but choosing somebody as a potential life partner. Of course non aspec people can get into such relationships too, but since romantic relationships are just that omnipresent most don't know about it and so for many the expectations that you should end up in a romantic relationship still holds true. And that's kinda the point, society right now is so focused on romance and sex, that saying that you're not interested in either will likely be meet with disbelief or dismissal

I think in fact that there is a noticeable difference between asexuals and aromantics on one hand, and gay, lesbian, trans and various other groups on the other, in that asexuals and aromantics have never been particularly discriminated against. In a minor, tacit sense yes--since they're a smallish minority people make inaccurate assumptions, don't talk much about their particular concerns, don't target them with advertising and so on. But nobody gets beaten up or murdered or reviled as an evil sinner for being asexual, nor have there ever been laws against not being romantic. All these things do happen to gays and lesbians and trans.

I mean yes, since there aren't as many asexual people as lets say gay or bisexual people and they don't stick out as much they usually get a lot less attention, which includes witch hunts. However, asexuality was until pretty recently still categorized as an illness and to this day a pretty common response to mentioning being asexual is that people either tell you to go see a doctor because obviously something has to be wrong with your hormones or maybe a therapist because you're clearly just traumatized, or they tell you that you just haven't found the right person yet. Which can very much lead into corrective rape. So yeah, less getting beaten up and more just your existence getting denied and having to explain what you're talking about every time you mention it. Which we actually kinda see in this manga with characters automatically assuming that they are gay because they show no interest in men.
In fact most asexuals don't figure out what they are until their twenties or thirties since the term and what it means is barely mentioned anywhere, instead you're just showered with the good old "someday you'll fall in love and have sex". Romantic asexuals get into problems in relationships a lot of the times because people intrinsically link love with sex and don't realize that not finding your partner sexually attractive or actively initiating sex doesn't mean that you don't love them. These issues of course need to be discussed in an open manner, which is pretty difficult when you don't even have a clue about why you're different in the first place because nobody ever talks about it.

I mean, nobody's going to be un-ironically saying "Those two women living together aren't lesbians living in sin! They're just good friends! Disgusting, I tell you, somebody ought to do something about it!"

Yup, instead they tell you that romance and sex are important parts of being human and that something is wrong with you if you don't long for them. That you're an emotionless monster, that you need medical treatment, that you're actively defying god by suppressing your natural, god given impulses. There are actually churches out there that accept gay and bisexual people but denounce asexuals

Screenshot%202022-03-25%20015936
joined Mar 24, 2022

Well... If their relationship has no romance and/or sex thats just friendship, though she wont be able to be in a non romantic relationship anymore since she already demonstrated a gist of jealousy so non romantic relationship will end up out of the question for her.

I'm actually not sure about that, since I don't think jealousy is exclusive to romantic love. It could very much be a different form of strong emotional affection that she mistakes for romantic love since that's what most people expect her to feel. Of course it's very much possible that she is in fact in love but right now I'm not fully convinced yet.

In the matter of sex... Idk i never really understood this sort of stuff i barely understand the basics of homosexuality and asexuality but if by any means what Yuriko's reason to "not love the same way as others" is related to her scars, the outcome of this can be may end up being quite disappointing to some... Those types of scars dont look like theyre something that she got a year or 2 years ago so if she had to live with them since a long time ago i would expect some kind of trauma behind them

I really hope that they don't try to attribute her asexuality to these scars. That would effectively discredit asexuality as a sexual orientation, the same way for example Doctor House did it by "blaming" it on a brain tumor.
I think a good way to describe asexuality is by saying that asexuals feel the same way towards women as either a straight woman or a gay man would and towards men the same a straight man or a lesbian would

joined Sep 1, 2021

when i dont stand up slowly my eyes blackout and i become dizzy for a second, i dont sit in bath anymore

this is new to me so im curious, thanks for the uploads

edit: oh i guess this happens to others as well

last edited at Mar 25, 2022 4:45AM

Vivy-v-chan
joined Aug 14, 2020

Can't wait for the next chapter! ^^

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

That could be interesting, although I'm having doubts about the last couple of sentences there. It seems to me that a close relationship that was neither romantic nor sexual would simply be a close friendship. And even people who are both romantically and sexually inclined are mostly capable of, and do not reject the idea of, close friendships. So I'm not sure there would actually be any hardship or defiance of societal expectations involved in being an asexual aromantic who was close friends with someone.

The relationship that I'm talking about is called QPR - Queer Platonic Relationship. Calling it just a very deep friendship doesn't really capture it in my opinion, since it is very much on the same emotional level as a romantic relationship.

Um, and so this is not romantic because?
Sounds a lot like what used to be known as "storgic" love. Which is a very common kind of romantic affection. Just not the kind you typically see written about in Harlequins or shoujo romance, because it tends to lack drama.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I'm actually not sure about that, since I don't think jealousy is exclusive to romantic love.

True enough. I remember when my daughter got married, and the groom's husband was giving a little speech about how great she is and how she's the kind of person you'd want to be best friends with . . . and her best friend,yelled out "She's taken!"
The best friend is married herself and has no problem with my daughter's husband, but she'd be horrified to find that she had a friendship rival.

joined Jan 14, 2020

my daughter got married, and the groom's husband

sounds poly!

or "best man"?

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

my daughter got married, and the groom's husband

sounds poly!

or "best man"?

Ooops. Groom's dad. That mistake is too priceless to correct so I will leave it.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

OH MY GOD, SHE'S DEAD! What a dramatic way to end the story.

(Joking around)

one of the tropes I hate the most seems to be a staple of yuri manga sadly (bath fainting)

&

I don't mind the rainstorm trope. Healthy young adult fainting in the bath, though? Come on.

I'm a "healthy young adult", sometimes I still get really dizzy if I stand up quickly and basically fall over (not often enough to be concerning). I've just never had that happen to me in a bath. So it's not too far-fetched.

Yeah I know people that get dizzy easily, standing up too fast, getting out of bed too fast, and so fourth can make them fall over, or even pass out completely. Baths/Showers can be really dangerous with the heat, so it's definitely not just some "manga trope".

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

WHAT IN THE HELL IS THAT CHARACTER DESCRIPTION BLURRING FOR?

joined Jun 10, 2021

An analogy I like to use is to think about sexual attraction as a vector. Vectors are mathematical line functions that consist of a magnitude and a direction. The directional component of a vector of sexual attraction is the person's sexual orientation. Strictly speaking, this is what the 'LGB' terms were originally used to be a catch-all to represent. The magnitude component of a vector of sexual attraction is the level of sexual interest you have towards somebody.

Pansexual and demi-sexual are terms answering a different question ('why are you attracted to the people who you are attracted to?') that is partially related. Lastly, romantic attraction/love are different concepts for the most part.

Clearly we don't have enough indices. Sexual attraction must be a tensor!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

An analogy I like to use is to think about sexual attraction as a vector. Vectors are mathematical line functions that consist of a magnitude and a direction. The directional component of a vector of sexual attraction is the person's sexual orientation. Strictly speaking, this is what the 'LGB' terms were originally used to be a catch-all to represent. The magnitude component of a vector of sexual attraction is the level of sexual interest you have towards somebody.

Pansexual and demi-sexual are terms answering a different question ('why are you attracted to the people who you are attracted to?') that is partially related. Lastly, romantic attraction/love are different concepts for the most part.

Clearly we don't have enough indices. Sexual attraction must be a tensor!

It's a bandage?! ;)

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

(Joking around)

&

I don't mind the rainstorm trope. Healthy young adult fainting in the bath, though? Come on.

I'm a "healthy young adult", sometimes I still get really dizzy if I stand up quickly and basically fall over (not often enough to be concerning). I've just never had that happen to me in a bath. So it's not too far-fetched.

Yeah I know people that get dizzy easily, standing up too fast, getting out of bed too fast, and so fourth can make them fall over, or even pass out completely. Baths/Showers can be really dangerous with the heat, so it's definitely not just some "manga trope".

I am questioning y'alls health

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

(Joking around)

&

Gee, doc, since you apparently have a medical degree, maybe you should re-read the chapter on “low blood pressure.”

DaSupremeXtream
Yatsude%202-min
joined Jul 11, 2019

Huh, guess she was dizzy. Interesting to see she didn't get the scars from a motorcycle accident or anything but as a childhood injury. With her leaning her head on Matoi, I'm interested to see where the series is headed. It's probably not towards seggs like people were predicting early on since it seems the series wants to double down on asexuality but I could be wrong

last edited at Mar 27, 2022 10:09PM

joined Dec 17, 2021

I just like seeing these two spending time together. Hope the parents get delayed a week in that airport.

Homura-devil
joined May 7, 2018

Well, it wasn't from SA, which was what I was expecting it to be when her scars were first revealed. This removes the possibility that SA led to her being sexually averse and she is just asexual while also having childhood scars+trauma on the side (By no means am I insinuating that all SA causes asexuality or SA is the only reason for asexuality or other bad takes, but people can grow from experiences)

In any case, still very interested in this. Also interested to see if they are aromantic to some degree. Also also interested to see if Matoi will ever try sex, since she is still learning about it as opposed to Yuriko who seems much more secure in these aspects.

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

(Joking around)

&

Gee, doc, since you apparently have a medical degree, maybe you should re-read the chapter on “low blood pressure.”

that sounds like a problem that can be fixed by consuming more blood

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

oh man they're so cute.

joined Jan 22, 2015

(Joking around)

&

Half true. Consumption of foods high in iron can help reduce low blood pressure. Also avoiding certain foods and drinks that which thin blood, such as certain teas, can reduce the likelihood of fainting.

last edited at Mar 27, 2022 11:00PM

joined Oct 21, 2013

In the end it was just her period coming earlier than normal.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

(Joking around)

&

Half true. Consumption of foods high in iron can help reduce low blood pressure. Also avoiding certain foods and drinks that which thin blood, such as certain teas, can reduce the likelihood of fainting.

These are common symptoms of dehydration, which is extremely common itself. Drink more water and the blood won't just all rush to your head. Try to get 3 liters a day.

Also, damn, I'm really good at being dead wrong on predicting these stories. Secret skill.

To reply you must either login or sign up.