Forum › It's Tough Being Neeko discussion

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I hope this isn't seen as offensive but is there such thing as a "cute neet" I always thought the thing about being a neet was that you're a reject. If you're cute you're hardly a reject surely.. In my personal experience you don't have to be ugly to be a meet but you're probably not gonna be attractive and a meet because looking attractive is a desireable quality on itself surely.. Idk, maybe I am well off here but it's hard to imagine.

Well its a manga, not real life, and making the protagonist a hot anime girl with fanservicey shots is a good way to make people read your story.

But also regardless attractive people can be neets, What? Having a face that’s seen as attractive in mainstream society isn’t some guarantee that you’re immune from mental health disorders, or that you’re guaranteed a job and friends. This isn’t some chad vs virgin incel comic, in real life people can fall through the cracks regardless of their face.

Now speaking practically, people with mental health issues like anxiety, adhd, and depression can often have trouble maintaining healthy hygiene habits like showering and changing clothing, I know I certainly have times where I seriously struggle to maintain those habits while going through difficult/stressful times, and a lack of healthy hygiene habits can cause someone to look worse off, but that’s something that can be changed.

You can be a reject regardless of your looks.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Hmm, Neeko is wondering what happened to her after college that completely ruined her motivation to integrate into the society, but didn't she have flashbacks of it right on the very first page of the manga? Or is it the case that she possibly doesn't consciously remember being chewed out and spit out by the system? I mean, repression of traumatic memories is a real coping mechanism.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Hmm, Neeko is wondering what happened to her after college that completely ruined her motivation to integrate into the society, but didn't she have flashbacks of it right on the very first page of the manga? Or is it the case that she possibly doesn't consciously remember being chewed out and spit out by the system? I mean, repression of traumatic memories is a real coping mechanism.

Admittedly, the flashbacks don't show that much, though. Looks like we're about to get a more in-depth look at what happened - and judging by her attitude in that last panel, she may not be without fault there either.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Admittedly, the flashbacks don't show that much, though. Looks like we're about to get a more in-depth look at what happened - and judging by her attitude in that last panel, she may not be without fault there either.

My gut feeling is that her own fault there lay in mainly failing to live up to some unreasonably high and arbitrary standard.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

My gut feeling is that her own fault there lay in mainly failing to live up to some unreasonably high and arbitrary standard.

You may be right, judging by the original flashback, but on the other hand, her attitude, not just the "a pain" comment, but also the look on her face there, seems to point at her not taking this too seriously either, so the standards she failed to live up to may not have been as unreasonable as she has convinced herself they were. (The "you will quit right away" comment in her memories does stink of additional misogyny at at least one place she tried, though.) In the end, there's no way to tell for sure until we see the next chapter.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

wth is the tag "yuri crush"

is this yuri or not

Neeko's friend has a romantic crush on her, but we don't know if it is reciprocated, and they aren't in a relationship, and the series isn't about them as a couple.

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

I know the tags are saying Yuri Crush, but I mean, come on, there’s no way Uri Chan doesn’t want to date Neeko. I hope we at least get a confession.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

What we see at the beginning of the series is a dream, it isn't necessarily how it actually went down, or her holding a clear memory of it., it's an expression of how her subconscious views the trauma. (Of course, that seems to apply here, too, but at least narratively this new dream seems more likely to be a proper flashback.

It's also possible that she's repressed the memories, like you said.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I know the tags are saying Yuri Crush, but I mean, come on, there’s no way Uri Chan doesn’t want to date Neeko. I hope we at least get a confession.

Yeah, but....We don't know if Neeko wants to date Uri. That's what makes it a crush.

Screenshot%2006-15-2022%2021.27.00
joined Mar 25, 2021

hoping that neeko and uri go out together after neeko gets her motivation back and overcome her trauma. Seriously loving uri's vibes, supportive gf and all.

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Yeah, but....We don't know if Neeko wants to date Uri. That's what makes it a crush.

Yeah I know, that’s why I said I hope we at least get a confession from Uri-Chan. I was more hoping that the tags would get an upgrade, so to speak.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

wth is the tag "yuri crush"

is this yuri or not

Neeko's friend has a romantic crush on her, but we don't know if it is reciprocated, and they aren't in a relationship, and the series isn't about them as a couple.

I thought only Imoko's friend had a confirmed crush

joined Mar 5, 2016

I hope this isn't seen as offensive but is there such thing as a "cute neet" I always thought the thing about being a neet was that you're a reject. If you're cute you're hardly a reject surely.. In my personal experience you don't have to be ugly to be a meet but you're probably not gonna be attractive and a meet because looking attractive is a desireable quality on itself surely.. Idk, maybe I am well off here but it's hard to imagine.

Well its a manga, not real life, and making the protagonist a hot anime girl with fanservicey shots is a good way to make people read your story.

But also regardless attractive people can be neets, What? Having a face that’s seen as attractive in mainstream society isn’t some guarantee that you’re immune from mental health disorders, or that you’re guaranteed a job and friends. This isn’t some chad vs virgin incel comic, in real life people can fall through the cracks regardless of their face.

Now speaking practically, people with mental health issues like anxiety, adhd, and depression can often have trouble maintaining healthy hygiene habits like showering and changing clothing, I know I certainly have times where I seriously struggle to maintain those habits while going through difficult/stressful times, and a lack of healthy hygiene habits can cause someone to look worse off, but that’s something that can be changed.

plus NEET just means you're Not in Employment, Education, or Training, anyway. being found attractive or not hasn't got anything to do with it because it isn't about "desirability" strictly speaking. it isn't even about mental health although having troubles can cause you to not be in employment or education and not having any income can be a mental health strain. someone could voluntarily just not do anything.

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

plus NEET just means you're Not in Employment, Education, or Training, anyway. being found attractive or not hasn't got anything to do with it because it isn't about "desirability" strictly speaking. it isn't even about mental health although having troubles can cause you to not be in employment or education and not having any income can be a mental health strain. someone could voluntarily just not do anything.

Also, to follow on in a clarifying way, it's not that being undesirable makes you a NEET, it's that the "work before life" ethic we hear about often in Japan means that to be a NEET, and especially voluntarily, outside of circumstances like inbetween-jobs-because-moving or some such is what causes you to be undesirable in the eyes of the people. You aren't being productive to society, so you're basically trash.

joined May 23, 2013

Well chap 32 is out not the best editing, but readable. Interesting she did get the job, but thinking about how her life would be more of what she experienced on the interview was too much for her.

last edited at Jan 15, 2022 4:47PM by OrangePekoe

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Well chap 32 is out not the best editing, but readable. Interesting she did get the job, but thinking about how her life would be more of what she experienced on the interview was too much for her.

Not out here so put some spoilers tag mind you

38611606_p02
joined Feb 17, 2019

Wooow... That was painful to read. Too relatable for me...

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

This chapter made everyone feel tsurai yo

Jo
joined Jan 1, 2019

Well if those assholes were supposed to be your superiors then...
Fk'em.

370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

Throw Away the Suit becomes a nice companion piece for this
Also typical Japanese offices, all of them just slightly different shades of black

Wwdemon150
joined Mar 11, 2018

I'm kind of wondering what the other interviews were like (or what happened in that interview room after she left) that resulted in her being offered the job.

joined Apr 6, 2013

I'm kind of wondering what the other interviews were like (or what happened in that interview room after she left) that resulted in her being offered the job.

I would assume most people told the dude to go fuck himself, that or the interview was like some hazing thing where Neeko was always going to be hired they just wanted to scare her into not slacking off, but ended up overwhelming her.

last edited at Mar 21, 2022 6:54PM

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

Noo, her family isnt rich so they cant support her forever

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

Oof. When I first started reading this, I was in the middle of some tough job-related stuff. Things have gone up from there, but some of the trouble Neeko had was all too relatable. Even now, I feel less stung by how close to home it hits, and it's still a tough read.

This is some masochistic material...which I'll keep reading.

joined Jul 23, 2019

I still think the 'Depressing as fuck' tag is all wrong.
And the 'Aaaaaangst' tag is borderline.
There's a difference between a real depressing story, like something denouncing social evils like abject poverty or racial discrimination, and an 'Awwwwwww poor bay-bee!' kind of story where you just want to hug the lead character to make everything better.

To reply you must either login or sign up.