Forum › Water Depth discussion

Capture
joined Mar 12, 2014

Whatever Fuyo's "problem" her parents think she has, it's clear from the last page that while she fell into their grasp and tried to "fix" herself, she has now overcame that and will express herself in her own way. Even though I think it's a bit rushed, the one-shot ended satisfyingly. Kei learned from her stupid mistake, and when the same situation came up again, she did the right thing. It's pretty nice to see the connection/redemption between the past and present in this one-shot, actually, how the one-shot is paced emphasized this connection, the artist has truly given it thoughts. Great work.

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

Man, this was absolutely beautiful
It was kind of painful reading this, I kept of locking my screen after a few pages due to emotional overload
Also, this was a great thread

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Different. Not broken. Like Kei's first attempt at rolled omelet.

I think Kei recognizes that Fuyo needs some looking after. As a kid, that seems overwhelming ("Sinking down, getting sucked in."), but as an adult, it's more like knee-deep.

Not even sure how I'd categorize this story, but I want to see more like it.

joined Feb 28, 2017

I would love to see more of these two. Damn its cute.

joined Jul 4, 2018

‘I went and fixed the weird parts of myself’

Shot me clean through with that one.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

This is extremely well done, especially being as short as it is. Not a single panel wasted.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Ah gosh this really hits me different. I can relate to so many parts of it, from both of them, and just, god.

Ao3
joined Apr 23, 2019

I think Fuyo is meant to be autistic, the repetition with the story of omelette, the not understanding social cues and the parents thinking she "needed help"... I think shes meant to be a high functioning autistic person :(( I hope theyre together

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Hmm, it's a little hard for me to think Fuyo's completely neurotypical.

I re-read it once, upon which the story made more sense as my brain didn't process that Kei was a waitress the first read. Still curious about the first page. Is Fuyo dressed up as a judge in it? Not sure what judges look like in Japan. That looks like a gavel, and the hat looks like a graduation hat to an American, but I know its roots are of scholarly origin so maybe judges wear it too. It seems that the first page is of Kei being "judged" by Fuyo, but it is a little weird because it doesn't fit in with the water motif.

last edited at May 8, 2020 7:51PM

joined May 25, 2019

Shit g is for GRRRRRRREAT. FAVOURITE!!!!!!!

THIS IS ONE OF YURI'S PEAKS!!!

last edited at Jul 7, 2020 4:24PM

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

One of my favorites on this site

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

One of the best depictions of autism I’ve seen in a manga, although I feel like the story was a bit lacking in the resolution. Nothing really got solved and Kei didn’t really show enough development in my opinion.

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

It was a... Surprisingly heavy read. While I enjoyed it for what it was, I wish there was a bit of a more... Clear ending. Just to wash away that odd feeling. While I usually enjoy open ending stuff, for once I wouldn't mind washing a story down with a bit more definitive and sweet ending.

joined Jun 13, 2020

Even after reading this n+1 times I'm still a bit confused. I guess the point of this is, that we should let kids be themselves and there will always be someone who loves them. Dunno. Also thought about if Fuyo is just eccentric, or does she have some kind of mental problem. This was one confusing manga o_o

It seems she has something going on, but the larger problem is that she lacked support. Fuyo should not have been isolated like that in the classroom. Even worse were her parents that were speaking of her like she was a burden and had her internalizing that shit.

I'm a 3rd grade teacher and even though this was fiction, it was making me very angry.

Thankfully she met Kei, even if it took Kei time to both mature and figure out her feelings and such.

Spend%20(1)%20(1)
joined May 10, 2021

I'm so glad this is a featured chapter!!! This is really one of the best ever oneshots, totally unique in style and presentation. Really beautiful
depiction of antisocial/autistic behavior as well as being unable to understand your own love for someone a little strange. I've loved this for so long and hope it gets all the recognition it deserves.

joined May 1, 2015

Kei did change for the better, her anger was visible in her face. In all honesty, there was nothing she could do back then, she was still a child. Now that she is an adult she can protect Fuyo.
I am sad for Fuyo, her childhood was messed up due to her parents lack of understanding. Mental illness and other disorders (like in the case of Fuyo) are swept under the rug in most countries.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

a classic

Ebk63ajwkaeu2_4_1
joined Aug 1, 2020

even after having read this many times before, somehow, it hits different and still made me cry

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

holy moly purple library guy was uncharacteristically cringe in page 2 of the comments goddamn lol

To reply you must either login or sign up.