Forum › Liar Satsuki Can See Death discussion

joined Apr 6, 2021

HOLY SHIIIII
That was fantastic! I’ve been wanting that president to get his ass beat for months now! But omg where is the series going now! I’m so hyped! I really hope Akita’s dad and the prez both actually die by the end of the series, the author has done a fantastic job of portraying them as true monsters!

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

You know something I've always found strange about these school mangas is the supreme power the student council seems to wield. Like back when I went to high school I know we had one but I don't think I ever knew who they were.

joined Apr 6, 2021

You know something I've always found strange about these school mangas is the supreme power the student council seems to wield. Like back when I went to high school I know we had one but I don't think I ever knew who they were.

Pretty sure it’s cultural differences, Japan’s schools give student councils more power. I was in the student council for my high school and all we did was host school spirit events and stuff.

joined Jun 11, 2016

it's different in Japan. Student council has actual power there. Not too much as some manga made them out to be, but enough for teachers to listen to them.

joined Jun 11, 2016

Ok so I don't know what's the deal with that dude, did he get bullied before and now he hates all bullies?
Still, bullying is bad but it's not enough to justify murder.

That fucking asshole dad who abused his daughter on the other hand, I really wish Satsuki hadn't saved him from Akira back then.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Ok so I don't know what's the deal with that dude, did he get bullied before and now he hates all bullies?

I think it was probably the vice president (is she the vice president...? I don't remember) that was bullied, from what we see here

joined Apr 19, 2020

Shiina is such a gremlin, I love her

Let's see there's an abusive, possessive dad, a yandere and now a student council president that's willing to murder people ​in order to save people. What next?

last edited at Dec 30, 2021 6:14AM

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

But shouldnt prez actually realize that whatever he does will also be in "vain", just as what he feels like MC is doing? I mean, he has no further information than satsuki and can only (well maybe) see what would happen, if he... yeah, thats an intersting question actually, since whatever information is sent to the past causes problems, and I doubt the author will be able to come up with a good excuse. Either way, it doesnt matter what is, but what prez feels like. And since he assumes his ability to be identical, there really should be no gain from recruiting MC. I think he plots something else. Or he is actually lying about having this ability, but knows from someone in the past, that had the same, how to abuse it.

That's a good point, the "in vain" part. The victims are already victims, he isn't saving anyone, just "punishing" the "criminals".

joined Jan 31, 2013

to much male, drop.

2 consistent male character = too much male. Like, they're not even a love interest or anything but apparently that's too much.

LMAO

Truewarrior
joined Dec 13, 2014

Couldn't the stuco pres and Satsuki now prove their power by simply having the president (who seems pretty off his rocker so I bet he could comitt to it) plan to kill himself within the next 24 hours in some room they will have access to, and leave notes on himself (possibly by painting answers on his shirt and then laying down before dying such that they will be visible) so that they could demonstrate ESP via Satsuki being able to state the contents of a box or the order of cards in a deck before they are revealed, since she could see the answer on his body?

He wouldn't actually have to die, he'd just have to be willing to comitt to doing so such that a primonitory corpse would appear of him, and when she guesses it right, or if some issue makes it clear the message isn't properly conveyed, he would of course back out of it. Causing the corpse to then fade away. No death actually occurs.

You could just demonstrate the ability minus explaining the creepypasta sounding details until you can get people to realize you really do have some sort of ESP, then explain the significant limitations involved.

last edited at Dec 30, 2021 8:19AM

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

^ I doubt that a premonitory corpse would appear since he wouldn't actually be planning to die. How would he "commit" to it, as you said? He wouldn't ever be able to fool himself (or their powers, whatever they are) into believing that he's really going to kill himself. And there's no way that he could actually agree to die, just so that Satsuki can prove that she's not a liar. Plus, I don't think he even cares that much about proving that their power is real, since he's actually using his against other people.

Aaaand, we've already been shown that Satsuki isn't willing to put anyone at risk, just so that she can prove that she can predict their deaths. Which means that neither of them would actually be willing or able to make this work.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I continue to enjoy this series a great deal, mostly for Satsuki—I guess I’m a sucker for the put-upon, misunderstood, but intrepid person who keeps trying to do the right thing.

However, for me it’s recently been threatening to tip over into something that happens to supernatural Kdramas a good deal, where the focus shifts away from the character development and human interactions to the mechanics of the supernatural happenings (“If X is true, then the hero could foil the villain by doing Y,” etc.).

(My distaste for this dynamic in Kdramas admittedly comes from the writers’ habit of making up new rules for the supernatural part as they go along—you think you know how the magic works then they change things up for plot convenience.)

Satsuki’s still a doll, though.

Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

Prez,give Shiina another chance and stop trying to kill people
and Shiina,you need to learn what bullying is and stop doing it

something happened to vice prez? bullied?

i'm still curious about Komachi,i can't understand her at all

F you Akira's dad,don't you dare touch Akira and her mom

last edited at Dec 31, 2021 3:13AM

joined Sep 13, 2018

But shouldnt prez ... had the same, how to abuse it.

It's just ideological differences. Satsuki feels she's got a responsibility to preserve life, probably because of a mixture of her dad raising her and (speculatively) because she failed to prevent her mother from dying when she was young. The president probably thinks Satsuki is just trying to satiate her own feelings even if it means others suffer by bad (in his view) people living. I wouldn't be surprised if his world view came to be because the vice president suffered because of someone and then when that person died however, her life got better, thus if bad people die good people will suffer less. Like it feels like the manga is leading to that sort of discussion and testing exactly how dedicated Satsuki is to that world view given the end of chapter hook of "Akira's abusive dad figures out where Akira's been". We're left asking "Will Satsuki agree that bad people should die if Akira's life is threatened?"

Bb8a9f6b-acc2-4e0f-90f6-d54026cb173e_1_201_a
joined Feb 16, 2021

I ship Akira and Satsuki I’ll fucking cry if Akira dies or gets hurt by her dad

X
joined Mar 20, 2020

It seems like Komachi being "not dead" is the reason most of the events occur. It was mentioned in the first and last page of chapter 1. Sadly, Satsuki is so oblivious around her.

Maybe I'm wrong but, I bet she will be the main antagonist here, not that prez dude.
So, Satsuki x Komachi would be more interesting that way. Lmao.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I would say that they owe her their lives and work out some mystical reason they all have to join Atsuki's harem. She's a better harem protagonist than most

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

As to the Prez, I see it as a "justice at any cost" situation, where the cost has no limit, including and especially killing people so they can't do wrong again. Unsure why he went after Seo, though.

I suspect every time Satsuki saves someone, it makes a death more likely down the line somehow... which is why her school is a death trap now. Depressed people get more likely to take the last step to suicide, unbalanced people are more likely to take the last step to murder, accidents are more likely, etc.

I thought that at first but no longer.

Also there's pretty clearly like an actual serial killer going around, right? Someone switched out Michiru's oil and set up the gas in the storage room and probably other things.

The president did it. He had the opportunity and means - student council has access to all supplies, the kouhai is literally in the student council in the most junior position, etc. He had the motive he's said so repeatedly.

something happened to vice prez? bullied?

She has bad scarring on her face, hidden by her hairstyle.

i'm still curious about Komachi,i can't understand her at all

Like Laura Palmer, she's the longest-running enigma.

F you Akira's dad,don't you dare touch Akira and her mom

Akira's mom is a moronic party girl who abandoned them because she was bored. She may be better than the dad, but that's a low bar. She obviously broke his heart, and he's reacted by basically acting as if his daughter is his wife. In that sense Akira may be lucky he just bruises her, especially if she looks a lot like her mother. Either way, she should leave that house, but her reluctance to abandon Satsuki and go live with her mom (and her mom hasn't offered yet, just let's party in hokkaido and screw school) is understandable. If she did that she'd have to drop out and work full-time.

Best solution: Akira moves in with the Minadzukis and helps reconcile Satsuki and dad.

Let's see there's an abusive, possessive dad, a yandere and now a student council president that's willing to murder people ​in order to save people. What next?

Did we mention she's going to the High School of the Damned?

last edited at Jan 1, 2022 3:36AM

Wbb-polar%20(3)
joined Dec 12, 2021

komachi is really sus

Wbb-polar%20(3)
joined Dec 12, 2021

Ok why is it only girls who are dying '-' ?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Satsuki saw a boy dying in this case, she saw Akira's dad and she saw a kid choking on ice cream.

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

Like it feels like the manga is leading to that sort of discussion and testing exactly how dedicated Satsuki is to that world view given the end of chapter hook of "Akira's abusive dad figures out where Akira's been". We're left asking "Will Satsuki agree that bad people should die if Akira's life is threatened?"

It definitely seems Kai's challenge to Satsuki's morals will be the central conflict next volume. That's actually the main reason I think it's unlikely Akira will die here. If Satsuki's kindness enables Akira's dad to kill her, that completely validates Kai's ideology. As dark and tense as the manga is, it's hopeful at heart and puts care into consistency.

Kai himself embodies the fears Sae had back in chapter 5, that the people capable of the greatest evil are those who firmly believe they're doing what's right. He's a good foil but never have his actions been justified. Things can get bad, but losing Akira like that is truly an absolute nightmare for Satsuki.

I mean I could always be wrong, but I sure hope not.

Wbb-polar%20(3)
joined Dec 12, 2021

Satsuki saw a boy dying in this case, she saw Akira's dad and she saw a kid choking on ice cream.

I saw it later, when I wrote it, it was still in the "beginning". thanks

LittleWhiteHerz
Kohanenomintense2
joined Jul 21, 2020

I-i really hope nothing bad happens to Akira and her mom... i mean, since they are far away from Satsuki, she wouldn't know if she was in danger, right??
Also i really hope Komachi doesn't turn to be the main antagonist (though it would be interesting), because i like her a lot lol I can't really understand her but she is quite interesting

To reply you must either login or sign up.