Forum › That Time I Was Blackmailed By the Class's Green Tea Bitch discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Idk why everyone's celebrating such a massive violation of someone's personal space and the lack of consent. Tongtong kissed her multiple times in her sleep and even tried slipping some tongue in. Imagine if a guy was doing that. I'd bet a lot more people would call it assault instead of saying it's cute.

A) They're children, they're allowed to fuck up.

B) Neither of them are clean here. Lin Xiao Lu's anonymous internet account and pretending to sleep to get kissed are also violations of trust. You could say that makes them both terrible, but, again, children. Allowed to fuck up.

C) It's dumb to get offended on behalf of someone who is not themselves offended. Out of context, yeah, it's not okay to kiss somebody without their permission. In context, Lin really really wanted it to happen (so much that she staged the circumstances) so It is literally a victimless crime. It doesn't make it okay to do, but it does make it easier to forgive.

D) It's fiction. Just because you're excited by a fictional turn of events doesn't mean you have to condone that behavior in real life.

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

D) It's fiction. Just because you're excited by a fictional turn of events doesn't mean you have to condone that behavior in real life.

I think that's a really big point. There are a lot of things that I find to be cute in manga that I would be, quite frankly, horrified by in real life.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think that's a really big point. There are a lot of things that I find to be cute in manga that I would be, quite frankly, horrified by in real life.

There's a lot of stuff in all fiction that I don't want to happen in real life. Just to stick to the "good" side of the law:

• I want detectives who go "by the book” and use the appropriate chain of command, and not ones who "trust their gut" and dole out "street justice" by their "own moral code."

• I want doctors who follow procedure and don't "trust their gut" and make enormous leaps of logic on tiny scraps of evidence.

OK, let's go to the other side: in real life, I want there to be no hit men whatsoever--noble hit men who "live by their own code" for "one last job": fuck them.

• Cool gangs who steal cars and street race: fuck them too. In jail.

But movies and stuff about such people, fine.

last edited at Dec 24, 2021 8:00PM

joined Mar 5, 2016

but what if it had been Starscream the Decepticon air force commander who is infamous for his treachery??

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

but what if it had been Starscream the Decepticon air force commander who is infamous for his treachery??

That would have been entirely different. As I think we can all agree.

last edited at Dec 24, 2021 8:00PM

K7gwfbovdc
joined Dec 2, 2021

Man I just want these two crazy kids to be happy...

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

Ughhhhhhhhhh she's so cute but the mother ughhh

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I’m scared of the mom finding out, reminds me of similar experiences I’ve had too, it’s not a good feeling.

Maybe Lin Xiao Lu could try tutoring Tong Tong? Teaching Tong Tong would help her understand the material herself, give an excuse for them to be together, and maybe help Tong Tong’s grades too

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

they're so cute together, but god I can see the drama building from the mom, ah I love the way not being getting close at school was handled like it was so immediately obvious that Lin Xiao didn't want to have to do it but she had to.
There's definitely going to be drama but I love that it really doesn't seem like it's going to be relationship drama and rather like it is going to come from Lin Xiao's mom

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

"YOUR GRADES ARE DROPPING"

"STUDYING IS A HIGH SCHOOLER'S TOP PRIORITY"

She got an 85. Chill out, woman.

Like yea there are totally people out there like that but ughhh that's why I'm getting annoyed. Horrible parents who don't give a shit about their actual kid, its aggravating.

In conclusion, let your daughter kiss other girls. Sorry wait, I think my message shifted a little.

Eefgrstrsvw
joined Nov 15, 2016

Oh My God...!

joined Jul 26, 2016

Like yea there are totally people out there like that but ughhh that's why I'm getting annoyed. Horrible parents who don't give a shit about their actual kid, its aggravating.

Isn't that just, like, default Asian parenting. :|

...because from what I've been told by people who went through it the memes aren't terribly exaggerated.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

It is refreshing to have a mature conversation about the issues they are facing without any forced drama around not "hurting her feelings" which inadvertently hurts her more down the line. Similarily Tongtong is very understanding of the situation even if she cant hide her feelings of dejection. Honestly, they appear to be equally sad about it and that's good. As long as Lu can keep up her grades it could work out. But there is no overly old-fashioned achievement obssessed Asian mother without the inevitable conflict.

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

I'm proud of Tongtong for sticking to the agreement and not trying to bend it herself, despite the fact that she's pretty clearly unhappy with it.

As for Lin Xiao Lu's mother... I don't think tutoring would work as an excuse. The response to that would probably be something like "She's just going to drag you down, you need to focus on your own work and not someone else's".

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

I mean, I've heard it's an unfortunate stereotype. I am not Asian, nor a parent, nor an Asian parent, so I am unsure of the validity. I've both heard from Asian friends that yes it's a thing and no, it's kinda a bad stereotype. So who knows.

joined Dec 30, 2020

absolutely the (second) best gift i've received today

89922099_p0_3_32
joined Nov 15, 2017

This manhua doesn't subvert all cliches; just the bad ones. We still get to keep the good ones, like making out in the gym storage room.

Screen%20shot%202020-10-06%20at%203.36.22%20pm
joined Jun 18, 2020

This shit is so good now

joined Jul 26, 2016

I mean, I've heard it's an unfortunate stereotype. I am not Asian, nor a parent, nor an Asian parent, so I am unsure of the validity. I've both heard from Asian friends that yes it's a thing and no, it's kinda a bad stereotype. So who knows.

It probably says something how readily the neologism tiger parenting - coined by a Chinese-American - seems to have resonated back in Asia and how common authoritarian parents checking the boxes were in popular fiction from there long before. Generally speaking if a societal trope appears frequently in a particular context as a sort of given without any particular need for background elaboration it's something much of the audience is assumed to be able to relate to.

West Taiwan's particularly insanely high-pressure college entry exam system and thinly veiled Social Darwinist tendencies sure as shit aren't helping any in that particular context. I remember reading a bit of news sometime over the last year the governement was outright getting worried about the amount of money families sink into prepping their kids for that shit (by way of cram schools and tutoring and whatnot, in extreme cases starting from like elementary school) and had started looking into ways of curbing that; fat chance of anything working given it's an entirely natural logical result of their own socioeconomic and educational paradigms.

joined Jul 23, 2014

Lu going in the offensive (all things considered) is such a great thing

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

Did something fall at the end or was that a sfx?

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

...because from what I've been told by people who went through it the memes aren't terribly exaggerated.

Reminds me of the time I got 82 out of 100 on a test and my mom didn't talk to me for a week. Lol, good times.

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

Yeah the intense pressure the mom is putting out and just generally how she is written is so on-point that it’s triggering, it’s like I’m right there. Ugh, that’s so heavy.

It’s really in keeping with how vivid this story’s been so far. It just feels honest and real and studious of how the world is. Basically I just mean that it’s fucking good.

36002568_1838354376215521_8722944858664206336_n
joined Jan 21, 2019

wooo white sun scans is back!

Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

good thing my dad doesn't care much about grades

To reply you must either login or sign up.