Forum › Alcohol and Ogre-girls discussion

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

"chapters stop being 50 pages long now"

Oh, yeah? Prove it!

No, seriously, I'm gonna need you to prove it, ASAP.

Pretty please?

Damn. This is gonna be a loooong wait.

Edit: "Ogre-girls" - plural? Um...does this mean we should expect a horny harem? Not sure how to feel about that.

last edited at Nov 25, 2021 5:36PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Not a fan of Oni being translated as Ogre (personal pet peeve, lol), but otherwise this looks great!

Gotta say I'm with you there. Ogres and Oni are not the same thing. Let me put it this way: If I was reading a Western fantasy book written in English, with a Japanese setting, and it had Oni, they'd call them Oni. I know because I've read several such and that's what they do.
For that matter, I've read at least one manga that did have at least one ogre girl who was in fact a Western ogre (along with an elf girl, an orc girl, a werewolf girl etc) so when I saw "Ogre girl" I was glumly expecting an actual ogre girl.

A8eb27cb4a70a5-a-nw-p
joined Feb 17, 2020

This is so good, also makes me want to enjoy a well made cocktail

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Purple Library Guy posted:

Not a fan of Oni being translated as Ogre (personal pet peeve, lol), but otherwise this looks great!

Gotta say I'm with you there. Ogres and Oni are not the same thing. Let me put it this way: If I was reading a Western fantasy book written in English, with a Japanese setting, and it had Oni, they'd call them Oni. I know because I've read several such and that's what they do.
For that matter, I've read at least one manga that did have at least one ogre girl who was in fact a Western ogre (along with an elf girl, an orc girl, a werewolf girl etc) so when I saw "Ogre girl" I was glumly expecting an actual ogre girl.

And it makes me think of Shrek hahaha

Images
joined Feb 9, 2015

Some people get sad when they drink, some get happy, others get violent.
But her, she get horny.

... I'm sorry.

Nice​ pun, lol
This​ manga​ made​ me​ feel​ bad​ about​ my​ alcohol​ allergy.​ The​ cocktail​ looks​ so​ nice, I​ want​ to​ tast​e​it​ too.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Ogre is the closest Western mythological analogue, though, and while depictions of either aren't exactly what you'd call rigorously consistent they share a lot of traits and themes.

Another question entirely is why the term should be translated in the first place. Basically anyone who's had any meaningful amount of contact with Japanese popular culture knows what it means after all...

joined May 1, 2015

Thank you annons.
This series is really good, I am glad this is being translated.
I loved that marriage proposal line "I will become your bartender" I will marry the first person that says that to me.

joined Dec 18, 2016

Ogre are like onions

joined Jul 26, 2016

Ogre are like onions

thonk.jpg
...cutting them makes you cry?

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Ogre are like onions

thonk.jpg

Depends how fast you can run.

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

Ogre is the closest Western mythological analogue, though, and while depictions of either aren't exactly what you'd call rigorously consistent they share a lot of traits and themes.

Another question entirely is why the term should be translated in the first place. Basically anyone who's had any meaningful amount of contact with Japanese popular culture knows what it means after all...

To add to that, the backstory here is based on Japanese mythology (Shuten-douji), its set in Japan, the character names are Japanese...so should've been fine keeping the Japanese term.

EDIT: Wait, that's the official translation, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

last edited at Nov 25, 2021 8:27PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Well, exactly. Sure, if you're going to translate it at all, I guess ogre is what you've got (although I've seen demon, but that has problems too). But why translate it? As I say, an English language book, not translated at all, would almost certainly use the Japanese term.

joined Apr 6, 2019

Ogre are like onions

thonk.jpg

Depends how fast you can run.

joined Jul 26, 2016

(although I've seen demon, but that has problems too)

Rather major ones I should think. Wouldn't be exaggerated to say that's a fair bit less correct than translating tanuki as raccoon...

joined May 29, 2021

This​ manga​ made​ me​ feel​ bad​ about​ my​ alcohol​ allergy.​ The​ cocktail​ looks​ so​ nice, I​ want​ to​ tast​e​it​ too.

There are lots of delicious non-alcoholic cocktails out there. Just saying. Any bartender worth their salt could mix you up any number of combinations.

last edited at Nov 26, 2021 12:42AM

joined Dec 30, 2020

top shelf content

joined May 10, 2021

That was so nice! Alcohol, yuri and horny girl (soon to be girls I hope).
Thanks for the translation!

Screenshot_726
joined Dec 2, 2017

I love this, hoping that it adds more yuri to the formula, but good atm. On the other hand, is sure a shame I'm intolerant to alcohol so I can't try any of the things showed here.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

the background art and inking are so gorgeous omg. can't wait for more.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

Not hugely into the art style for this, but I really like the setup. Great idea, cute characters too

Also I agree. Oni and Ogres are different things in my mind, just call her an Oni!

last edited at Nov 26, 2021 4:17AM

Zigv3uyqlg0hih2ixcp8saivs99g-ehejzp51vcc89w
joined Feb 8, 2018

I absolutely love this, can't wait for more :D

Thanks for translating!

joined Dec 18, 2020

Question, what would you call a creature that has horns and red skin, lives in hell where they torture sinners, and is variously portrayed either as flesh-and-blood monsters or ethereal evil spirits?

I dunno why people ever translated Oni as Ogres because they way more obviously correspond to Western depictions of demons in my view.

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

Cute manga, thanks for the translation!

All this talk about ogres does remind me that the new edition of dnd changed the "ogre mage" oficial name to Oni. Before it was "ogre mage, also know as oni" and now it's "Oni, also know as ogre mage".

joined Jul 26, 2016

Question, what would you call a creature that has horns and red skin, lives in hell where they torture sinners, and is variously portrayed either as flesh-and-blood monsters or ethereal evil spirits?

I dunno why people ever translated Oni as Ogres because they way more obviously correspond to Western depictions of demons in my view.

Because that's neither their original nor their major mythological aspect? Shuten-dōji, a strong runner for the single most famous specimen, for example was certainly always considered a very concretely earthly creature, while the Momotaro tale basically depicts them as a tribe of ersatz Viking raiders on an island. The whole "warden of Hell" business was a cheerful syncretism with Hindu-Buddhist ideas - the Shinto concept of afterlife is rather different and more akin to the ancient Greek realm of Hades, near as I know.

I'd also point out that oni were always depicted as highly variable in coloration (take the well-known "Red Oni and Blue Oni" tale for ex) whereas the whole "red horned dude with pitchfork" image of Christian demons is a very recent dumb stereotypization; you sure as shit don't find it for example in Bosch's famous hellscape (painted sometime between 1490-1510), Dante's Divine Comedy (written 1308-1320) or the numerous grimoires of demonology penned by occultists over the centuries.

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Damn, Goggled, I still love you at least <3

last edited at Feb 23, 2022 11:21PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.