Forum › Girl Friends discussion

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

why have they not adapted this into an anime?

I think adapting completed manga is very, very rare. The publisher wants anime that will attract to new fans to a continuing series and get them to buy magazines and volumes as they come out. The other funders want an anime that's attached to a currently popular series, one that's continuing and has lots of fans reading. Nobody wants to risk their investment on something like this when there are plenty of hot series that would more reliably deliver a return.

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

Not related but
Short Thai Yuri Drama title Girlfriend.
https://bit.ly/2zcaeWF
https://bit.ly/2z8ieaP

last edited at Nov 15, 2018 2:11AM

joined May 30, 2015

I decided to start translating the "GIRL FRIENDS DRAMA CD." I didn't wanna do it at first since it apparently is just the first 10 chapters, but now that I've listened to it, there are some differences in dialogue, and some stuff from the manga is omitted, while some new lines are added, so I figured it's loosely different enough to deserve a translation :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuaMiuC1gbI&t=9s

Oh sweet! Much appreciated.

Images
joined Dec 25, 2018

I really miss this series, im sad it ended and that extra for it that the author put out a while ago reminded me how much I miss this. it was the "gateway drug" of yuri for me.

Maidens%20of%20michael
joined Oct 2, 2014

While Morinaga's art style is cute and all, but I barely made it until the 16th chapter and it is really making me feel disgusted, because of all these het bitches and enko and male bastards who are just after JK to hook them up. Enough is enough.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

While Morinaga's art style is cute and all, but I barely made it until the 16th chapter and it is really making me feel disgusted, because of all these het bitches and enko and male bastards who are just after JK to hook them up. Enough is enough.

I don't know what you're talking about. Beside the male co-worker, none male are bastard at all and i prefer having some het girls then having the classic "all lesbian" trope.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Not enough frothing at the mouth.

Maidens%20of%20michael
joined Oct 2, 2014

I don't know what you're talking about. Beside the male co-worker, none male are bastard at all and i prefer having some het girls then having the classic "all lesbian" trope.

Right, this manga might just raised my heterophobia level a lot. This is more like het story with bisexual main couple, not yuri. Lots of het + bisexual main heroines. And it could not be other way, since it is sell out successful manga, so Morinaga had to make it this way to make it more "acceptable". While this fact is really sad - I understand this, Morinaga wanted money(not so much I guess, but still) and fame(mostly). You need to add trendy "socially acceptable" crap to sell your stories.
But, such attitude - "Oh, I almost got raped by a guy while being drunk in love hotel, so... I will try girls instead" by Akko, and - "Oh, my beloved girl act like a het bitch, so... I will hook up with a male" - by Mari. Such attitude I do not like, it made me really mad, acting as trendy bitches. Certainly I can't call this true yuri. Overall this story is not yuri, but just about trendy bisexual bitches who failed to meet a guy and thus they stick with a girl, for now. May be later in their life they will go for the males again, may be not, depends.

last edited at Jul 1, 2019 4:54AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Right, this manga might just raised my heterophobia level a lot. This is more like het story with bisexual main couple, not yuri. Lots of het + bisexual main heroines. And it could not be other way, since it is sell out successful manga, so Morinaga had to make it this way to make it more "acceptable". While this fact is really sad - I understand this, Morinaga wanted money(not so much I guess, but still) and fame(mostly). You need to add trendy "society acceptable" crap to sell your stories.
But, such attitude - "Oh, I almost got raped by a guy while being drunk in love hotel, so... I will try girls instead" by Akko, and - "Oh, my beloved girl act like a het bitch, so... I will hook up with a male" - by Mari. Such attitude I do not like, it made me really mad, acting as trendy bitches. Certainly I can't call this true yuri. Overall this story is not yuri, but just about trendy bisexual bitches who failed to meet a guy and thus they stick with a girl, for now. May be later in their life they will go for the males again, may be not, depends.

Okay, I didn't wanna join in, but this is just ridiculous... Neither Akko nor Mari have ever displayed a real interest in boys. They didn't figure out their sexuality right away, but there is absolutely not a single shred of evidence that they are bisexual. It wasn't forced in there and has no relevance. This is the stage in their lives where they figure themselves out and in this context thinking that their feelings might be romantic is hard to swallow. Mari realized it, but she was afraid of Akko's rejection so she made some mistakes. That doesn't mean she ever cared about boys.

This is just a realistic depiction of such situations (minus the "friend kiss" part). These plot points have literally nothing to do with sales or fame... what a ridiculous thing to assert.

Heteronormativity is a thing and that the friends are hetero is not a problem at all. You are literally ignorant if you believe this bullshit about "May be later in their life they will go for the males again, may be not, depends." Did you even read the manga? Do you remotely understand what their relationship is like by the end? There is absolutely no reason to think they would break up. They didn't "settle" on going out with a girl as a replecament for failing with guys, they love each other.

I have never seen such a blatantly bad reading of this plot before. It's beyond baffling. You already revealed your heterophobia, so I guess that makes your thinking a bit more unreasonable, but this story is 100% yuri in every facette. It's the love story of two girls who fall for another girl. They end up dating and have a solid relationship. It's yuri. For fucks sake.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

@Maximus66

Are ya fo real, bruh?

I could make a longer, more well-structured response, but BugDevil beat me to it.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

@Maximus66

Are ya fo real, bruh?

I could make a longer, more well-structured response, but BugDevil beat me to it.

That didn’t deserve the thoughtful response it got.

That’s literally the most ill-informed—not to mention idiotic—reading of a manga I’ve ever seen (and I’ve seen a lot of brain-dead nonsense about manga).

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Sorry, it wasn't even a well-structured response. I just got mad and said whatever jumped through my mind. This derogatory way of talking about such a beloved and well made manga (and the fact that she insulted Morinaga on top of that) from someone who obviously has a bias and missed the point just riles me up.

In hindsight it is pointless to respond to something like... that. You can't reason with the unreasonable.

joined Oct 22, 2018

You can't reason with the unreasonable.

WTF? I should've known that before you told me? Why didn't I? I mean, I watched AFOC Remastered Movie, afterall! (Y'know, that mapping horror whose main villain and arguably main character, Talinight, I often mention, especially in the comments to Asuka x Tomoko fanarts, for some reason.) Uhh, squarely self-disappointed!

matsuri_wins
4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

I didn’t go forward much into this manga because I couldn’t take all the straight-ness either, teeen girls are annoying when all they care about is fashion and makeup lol But looks like it gets very gay later on. Maybe I should pick it up again.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

teeen girls are annoying when all they care about is fashion and makeup lol

That's true for a lot of teenage girls tho.

joined Jul 26, 2016

TBF teenagers in general are annoying. Thankfully most get better, if not necessarily by much.

joined Oct 22, 2018

TBF teenagers in general are annoying. Thankfully most get better, if not necessarily by much.

As a teenager myself, I agree with both sentences in this post.

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

I didn’t go forward much into this manga because I couldn’t take all the straight-ness either, teeen girls are annoying when all they care about is fashion and makeup lol But looks like it gets very gay later on. Maybe I should pick it up again.

The first few (I want to say 5) chapters were written before it got serialized, so development is almost nonexistent, and it still takes another couple chapters before the momentum builds. I totally agree with you that the early girlishness can be a bit off-putting, but it's well worth continuing. This is one of my favorite romance stories precisely because of how the characters develop over time--not just coming to grips with their fears and feelings but then growing and maturing together. So many stories seem to end after a grand confession; whereas, this one continues through some of their "couple issues" until they actually learn to see and work through their differences. I have more faith in their relationship lasting than in most stories I read, and there is something immensely satisfying in that.

last edited at Sep 4, 2019 1:06PM

Tumblr_pt8ll4hf781saqlhvo1_500
joined Mar 12, 2018

I read it again recently and I never noticed how big of a gay disaster Akko actually was until now.

last edited at Jul 12, 2020 6:09PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

What does that mean?

joined Jul 6, 2014

Rereading this manga for old time's sake, since i first bought them over five years ago, it holds up and almost brought me to tears. Possibly the greatest yuri manga of all time for me

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

I re-read it recently myself.

It was alright.

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

I accidentally got a friend of mine hooked on Yuri manga recently so I've been giving him various recommendations. This was one of the first things I recommended to him and I reread it at the same time.

I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time. I'm not sure whether or not I could call it my favorite, though that's less to do with the manga and more to do with the fact that I'm just incapable of actually picking a favorite of anything 95% of the time.

Blazing CobaltX
Aaaaaaaaaaaa2
joined May 16, 2012

I reread this the other day and upon finishing it I immediately wanted to pick it up again. Girl Friends is, to me, a yuri hall of famer. First-time enjoyment may partially be related to age (e.g. for teen me this story was stupidly relatable), but it also just a very well-rounded story. Even with newer series this one has not lost its charm.

last edited at Jan 10, 2023 5:53PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.