Forum › Girl Friends discussion

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Got it yesterday, accidentally binge read it, I'm feeling like shit from finishing it, again.
I read it when I was like, 11? It probs wasn't completely scanlated by then cus when I reread it a few years later I didn't really remember the ending. But damn is it good, fucking beautiful. I remember that it was good, but I had forgotten most of it as I read it just then, but damn. I'm still as attached to them as when I first read it.
I'm glad I finally got around to buying it, I'll greatly treasure it ❤

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

This was the first yuri manga i ever read. And really it is still one of my fav. I doubt i will ever forget it even if i wanted to.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

If any user is a fellow mexican like me, the first volume of the series has been finally released

https://www.facebook.com/EditorialKamite/photos/a.114585722033231.22224.114574165367720/694386900719774/?type=3

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Got the mexican edition of the first volume. The quality of the volume itself is nothing special making me wonder why is priced higher than other mangas. I mean, it does come with a dust jacket but I doubt that justifies the price.

Now, rereading the story again after a few years since my last read, I have to say Morinaga's pacing and tone was a lot better than in her current works. Plus, the setting is better fleshed out in here.

joined Sep 21, 2014

Got the mexican edition of the first volume. The quality of the volume itself is nothing special making me wonder why is priced higher than other mangas. I mean, it does come with a dust jacket but I doubt that justifies the price.

The one thing I've learned is that it either depends of the publisher (if their manga are more expensive or cheaper than other publishers) or if the volumes of the series are a bigger trim size. If it's hardcover. If it's an omnibus,
And other times it's just more expensive and I'm tilted because I have no idea why/what could justify the pricing ಠ▃ಠ
Ugh. The average manga, considering the various publishers, are between 13-16 CAD. Being a trim size bigger is usually like, a dollar more. And then one day I saw a volume of Hidamari Sketch and it was fucking 21$. Sure it's a trim size bigger and the first chapter (6-8 pages?) are in full colour but?? It only has like 110 pages in total, that's super thin. Everything considered, why is it so much more expensive, what is this (╯ಠ▃ಠ)╯︵ ┻━┻
-Rant Over-

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

As you can see, there's no real difference on size between the Girlfriends volume and other mangas that I picked randomly from my collection

Now to be fair, thanks to the current exchange rate mangas in Mexico are actually pretty damn cheap in american dollars. Around 4 bucks a pop but for our usual rates they are kind of pricey. Now, a regular manga runs more or less for $3.5 or $4.00 dollars tops (and the only manga to hit that price is One Punch Man). Girlfriends? $5.00 and is a regular volume with seven chapters.

joined Sep 21, 2014

Are the other recent releases by the same publisher still around 3,5-4$?

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Yup.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Probably because it is niche genre so they want to milk it as much as possible.

last edited at Nov 2, 2016 7:16AM

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

I have all volumes at home right now

Untitled%20(1)
joined Aug 24, 2016

I like how they made it seem more realistic by spending more time on building up to the relationship than most series do but I wish they had spent equal time focusing on the relationship

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

gork5 posted:

I like how they made it seem more realistic by spending more time on building up to the relationship than most series do but I wish they had spent equal time focusing on the relationship

This is really a strange complaint when you consider that the overwhelming majority of mangas choose one or the other to begin with. Very few at all deal with both the "before the relationship starts" bits as well as afterwards.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Alice Cheshire posted:

gork5 posted:

This is really a strange complaint when you consider that the overwhelming majority of mangas choose one or the other to begin with. Very few at all deal with both the "before the relationship starts" bits as well as afterwards.

Just because most choose it, it doesn't mean they can't do both. They usually choose 1 because they only have idea for one of them. I actually agree, it would be much better if more mangas would get a bit more about how they date once the couple finally gets together. Also let's be honest, it is much easier to write about how they get to fall in love with each other and dragging the point before they hook up, for as long as possible, than write about actual couple life, so must of artist only goes for the first. I wish there was more couple life stories.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Good timing for this Thread bump, as Girl Friends will soon be available to purchase digitally from Seven Seas, as well as School Police and Kisses, Sighs and Cherry Blossom Pink https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/853001819836043265

Risa%20x%20miya
joined Jun 10, 2017

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/yuri-couple-akko-x-mari-gets-the-deserved-anime
SUPPORT THE GIRL FRIENDS ANIME!!!!!! SIGN & SHARE!!!!!!!!!!

Seira%20the%20boss
joined Jun 25, 2017

I really wish I could read this. All right! I need to do some saving and support the author/buy the manga then.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

YayaSamuko posted:

I really wish I could read this. All right! I need to do some saving and support the author/buy the manga then.

Or you could find it online
Disclaimer: We got it published here so I bought all volumes, though I did read it first online.

last edited at Mar 13, 2018 1:19PM

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

I got the omnibus a couple weeks ago. Was initially just going to read it through slowly, a couple chapters a night, but wound up abandoning that yesterday and just reading the latter half of the first collection and then the entire second book all in one go.

I love it.

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

One of my favs til now, doing a re-read as we speak! This is the kind of Yuri beyond worthy of an anime! Still praying that happens

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

One of the many nice things about this one is the way that Akko is the "pursuing" girl, but Mari, the quiet, shy one, is the one who develops romantic feelings first, which changes the usual yuri dynamic in subtle but interesting ways.

And Sugi-san supplies a handy formulation of the crucial distinction between intense friendship and romantic attraction: "Is this someone you really want to do it with?"

I wonder if the doujinshi she did for Girl Friends not too long ago will ever be translated...

joined Jun 12, 2015

^What are you talking about? I'm sure you're translating it right now :)

(I'm really not. Maybe once I get the time...I'd much rather translate Tamamusi's GF doujinshi, but I STILL don't have a copy of that after a couple years of searching...)

joined Mar 19, 2012

why have they not adapted this into an anime?

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

There's a drama CD that covers the first 10 chapters or so, but I'll be astonished if they ever make an anime (and ecstatic).

To reply you must either login or sign up.