Forum › The Skirt Sings at the Landing discussion

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

I take issue with this manga. It's got one huge glaring problem that I just can't overlook and it is driving me nuts. It needs to have a faster release schedule, I mean come on! :P

Seriously though, the character dynamics are really interesting. A lot of stories will pick one point of view and have everything revolve around it like that person is the center of the universe, but here, each character feels like the protagonist of their own story. It might not be a good story structure for a movie, but think it works brilliantly here.

At first I was mad at Shion, but now I'm feeling bad for her. She really messed up big time, and is lucky Toribami showed up, or her plan would have been a total disaster. If Kiki and Shion had talked it over in the first place, then it wouldn't have been so bad, but now I feel like her best outcome can be only bittersweet.

In what world is Haruma "physically masculine"?? Just because she's tall??

You said it! Tall or short, all of the dancers are going to be physically fit to a baseline degree. Toribami is someone who knows she needs to act in order to get what she wants, but Kiki is the one who is steadfast in following her dream.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Toribami looks quite handsome in her dancing outfit

868e64eacaeed480084b005ae21b7c4c
joined Jul 19, 2018

Planned

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Wait, she's actually going to talk with her friend?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I'm imagining a parallel universe where Kyoto Animation chose something like this to base their first (and so far only) yuri anime on, instead of the one with the pedo dragon

I'm only bringing this up because happen to like this manga in general but the artwork gives me a similar energy to stuff KyoAni worked on (like Eupho)

Be nice to not use that kind of word to describe Kobayashi. You can dislike something without being disrepectful.

joined Jul 17, 2021

I'm only bringing this up because happen to like this manga in general but the artwork gives me a similar energy to stuff KyoAni worked on (like Eupho)

speaking of eupho, i just realised after reading this chapter that i've been hearing Toribami's lines in Reina's voice for some reason

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

Oh, I adore this manga.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

To be honest, as a dancer for almost 20 years, there are inaccuracies here, OR I am in the dark for 20 years. Quadrilles is not a couple dance. It requires 4 couples. Sure you do dance with your partner, but it is never intended for a solo couple. Quad means four, after all.
In the credits, there shows two men dancing. The only historical correct m/m dance is the Argentine-Uruguay tango. The two persons do not seem to be dancing tango. 20th century box tango definitely is not for same sex for male, it is a complete white-wash of the tango intended for 10s and 20s social dance scene.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

You said it! Tall or short, all of the dancers are going to be physically fit to a baseline degree. Toribami is someone who knows she needs to act in order to get what she wants, but Kiki is the one who is steadfast in following her dream.

You know, it is just a matter of adjustment and practice, and you will be able to dance with anyone who is skinny or fat, short or tall, and as lead or follow. In order to be a good dancer you will need to learn both lead and follow, for everyone. I don't think I have ever think or insist on being a lead or a follow. I tend to like lead for new comers, but follow if I dance with someone better, especially my teacher. But as I said, I still need to know how to both lead and follow. Finally you also need to learn choreography if you are serious.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I know there's far more far more important things going on in this chapter, but nothing quite stings like that "That family loves you, huh?"...

joined Mar 6, 2018

This was somehow a really good and very bad chapter at the same time. It was really neat to see the childhood friends trope play out in a way that they actually make up with each other - because this is not the first time they had a fight. Plus the parents more or less do something, too, which is also refreshing.

Now for the bad: While one cliche that's super played out got avoided, the ending left a bad taste. Shion not confessing her feelings points just toward future drama, when Kiki and Toribami get together. I actually kind of hoped that there will be a split between dancers and lovers. I guess not all tropes can be avoided

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

I know there's far more far more important things going on in this chapter, but nothing quite stings like that "That family loves you, huh?"...

That and the few parts that paralleled the two families' dynamics. Felt like a twist of the knife, in a way. I believe and hope this is a future plot point to unravel, and I'm kind of anxious/excited for it.

In any case, one thing I particularly like about the chapter is the dream being a reveal of Shion's true motives and feelings and how it was used. I mean, from a meta-perspective, it was pretty much obvious, but as a reveal in and of itself, I felt it was very appropriate and very nicely executed - short, clear, and concise.

I feel that in this story it's absolutely reasonable and relatable that Shion hasn't confessed, as well as her actions and behavior up to this point. If nothing else, for me, I can feel the pain she's feeling, and I can both understand and forgive her actions up to now. Now it's a matter of how things unfurl from here, especially with Toribami showing seeds of jealousy/doubt.

last edited at Nov 3, 2021 8:37AM

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

And they were rivals!

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

The two of them making up so quickly was a surprise, but a welcome one.

The whole "I hurt you because I like you," angle on this is pretty upsetting though. Shion is mad at Kiki for not noticing her feelings when she was actively trying to hide them, and that's supposed to make sense?

I was starting to feel some sympathy for Shion in the last chapter, but this chapter brings that feeling back to square one. Shion was the one who pushed Kiki away, so hopefully by the final chapter, she can learn to live without being by Kiki's side anymore.

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

I don't exactly remember how the story went but i didnt except this chapter to go that way. I hope this "im gonna keep not saying shit about my feelings" is her moving on and not her being a ticking bomb for drama later on

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

I am of two minds. 1) Damn that's cute! 2) Oooooof

joined Nov 3, 2021

The whole "I hurt you because I like you," angle on this is pretty upsetting though. Shion is mad at Kiki for not noticing her feelings when she was actively trying to hide them, and that's supposed to make sense?

Even in her dreams, Shion wants Kiki to be the lead/dominant in the relationship. Literally, and metaphorically, sweeping her off her feet. It's a great visual.

What I really enjoy about this series is how it approaches exploring role expectations while showing how those expectations can be hurtful by subverting them.

Nyaa
joined Aug 18, 2021

I really like this manga and I liked it from chapter 1... But naming it one of the best yuri mangas of all time when it barely even started (it's ch8, but the story moves at a slow-ish pace) is a little silly lol. I'm very glad it's popular though!

With that said, I figured Shion wasn't anywhere near as much of a b**** as some people were making her out to be in the early chapters (at least on Mangadex comments, back when it had comments...). Her reasons were as good as can be, even if she should've went about it in a better way (as she admits herself).

And it's good that this chapter confirmed this manga has actual romance/yuri in it, as for a while now I thought it might just be a subtext thing. Maybe ending with a "I want you to be my dance partner forever!", that kind of thing.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Well, what a great non-solution solution. Maybe next time they get to an impasse, she can try for a solution solution!

joined Sep 11, 2014

Shion messed up big time

Gfkenr4j2k-2
joined Aug 7, 2019

This is some Arata Iri writing going on this chapter. I dread the confession from Shion, if there will be one in future chapters.

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

it would actually be more interesting if we end with shion becoming her gf and toribami staying her partner, though i fear shion sees kiki how she wants to see her, and now how she really is. a male type figure. which really isn't good for either of them because it's really not who kiki wants to be

Cool
joined Apr 4, 2021

I don't like shion's mom :DD

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

it would actually be more interesting if we end with shion becoming her gf and toribami staying her partner, though i fear shion sees kiki how she wants to see her, and now how she really is. a male type figure. which really isn't good for either of them because it's really not who kiki wants to be

Yeah I like that dynamic too, like not every mc gotta end up together with their partner of dream (don't confuse with dream partner; partner of dream means the 2nd protagonist who follows the same dream as the mc).

On another note, please, please let this not be another YagaKimi, Doughnuts, and I can't remember now but there're other several examples with the same plot device.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

Dancing has nothing to do with being best friends. Shion did not tell the truth. Also, who is going to stop them dancing privately or as warm up. Finally if Shion only wants to dance because of Kiki, then she can quit (as long as she tells the truth to Kiki) not just to be best friend, but to be her girlfriend. Toribami is just a partner in dancing. Since when dancing partners has to be best friends? Especially among professionals. Both of them need to think more about the future. What if once they are in university. kiki found someone who loves to lead and has a closer height, and being male. How many dancing partners kiki has before Shion finally understand being dancing partners has nothing to do with friendships or lovers.? In fact having both of them being rivals , that is good for both of them, as competitors, so that they push each other and make both of them better and better.

last edited at Nov 5, 2021 5:40AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.